New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tomboys and Troublemakers pt 3

alright, so lysander is the only one to show, his arm in a sling, and an old bottle of wine in his good hand. he sets the wine on the table, and pulls out a chair "good showing old chap" he remarks, and will tuck into his meal with gusto. "its a good vintage, laid down maybe 100 years ago?" he offers, offering you to open it "if you insist on a taste test, as i know i would, pour me the first glass, and wait a while" he chuckles at his own joke.

jasmine: what are you doing now that the fights over

regine: you find an old targeteer, who offers to teach you. tell me what his requirements are, and what you must do to learn from him

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard is happy to see Lysander, perhaps just as happy not to see Grot and welcomes him

Thank you and be seated. Tell me, how did you end up in this line of work?
    Last edited by wilphe; 2023-11-18 at 08:17 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I wouldn't say no to that," Bruno said to Lysander, "One thing I really like about Bretonnia is its wines. I think it's best to divide stuff up. You do the wine, we do the beer.
    Well, the dwarves in the Empire do the beer."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine visits the bar briefly and manages to snag a few pieces of Altdorf-style sausage. It's OK, the local provisioners fail to understand that gristle and mystery meat are what gives the sausage it's charm rather than something to be avoided, but other than that it is decent. She heads back to the boat at night and waits for Kwolf to return. She says to him, as she hands over one of the sausage, "Sorry ya didn't get to eat any elf eyeballs. Mebbe next time. Look, if ya are up for it, that old codger of a dwarf said someone's sneakin' magic crap through the harbor. If'n ya can sniff it out somewheres it might be a lead on those damned warlock that set up the frame job. It's the only lead I got and we're leavin' in the morning so this might be our only chance to figure out who's been messin' with us. Here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically she wants to see if Kwolf can be like a dowsing rod for magic and sense those magic blades the dwarf was talking about.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

I will go have a sniff

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you and be seated. Tell me, how did you end up in this line of work?

Lysander shrugs

I have expensive tastes dear boy and a good sword arm

he looks at the sling

Most of the time. I am fortunate that the cause of justice can be occasionally lucrative as well as rewarding.

He looks around the Company, skipping past Bertelis, regarding Bruno and Gimgroth, then Wighard and lingering on Jasmine before finishing on Regine

And how do you feel about Justice? Or are you amongst those wanderers who make their own?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis doesn't seem to have the same moxie he had in the fight; whatever mystical or herbal boost Wilphe had concocted prior to the combat has worn off, and over the first half-hour of the feasting, he is slouching in his chair, barely engaged with the world; lazily picking away at the pork shoulder roast on his plate.

He doesn't even notice the disrespect the elf showed him, just now.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'm quite in favour of justice," Bruno said, "I used to be a roadwarden back home. A roadwarden is a person who's responsible for a stretch of road, patrolling it against thieves, chaos mutants and the like. Quite dangerous work actually. You're often with a small group of people far from civilization, making sure your stretch of road is safe for others to travel upon."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

wighard: kwolf returns with the smell of magic on his breath. it turns out that the thundercloud, an empire wolfship recently took on a small wrapped bundle that could have been a sword. their next port of call is mousillon

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Kwolf will appear when Jasmine gets up to casually pass that information on

Lysander meanwhile,

Dangerous and lonely yes. I understand that they often must serve as judge and executioner for those they arrest. You ever have to do that?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Once or twice," Bruno replied, "but always clear cases of bandits that were attacking people when we arrived. Or mutants, orcs and the like."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine buys a fish from a fish vendor and tosses it to Kwolf. Then she takes the paper it had been wrapped in and scribbles a brief note on it. She gives the note to one of the urchins to deliver to Hestrad Warbelt. Once that's done she spends her time making sure the ship is ready to leave with the morning tides; making sure the stores are loaded properly, that the ship's trim is even, that all the cordage and sheets are as mended as possible and that the crew is accounted for and mostly sober.

Spoiler: Note
    Show
    Were leevin on the morning tid. You shud chek oute the Thunderclod for wat you arr lookin four. If you ken mak shur the dwarvs now we arr innercent I will considur the favur you ow us repade. your frend, Jasmin Featherblossom.
    Last edited by dojango; 2023-11-29 at 12:16 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth's festive mood is brought low when the elf opponent accepts Wighard's invitation. The elf did make a good job of showing off his injury however and it brightened the dwarf's spirits somewhat. He grinned as Bruno mentioned dwarven beer as sweet memories of past draughts came to his mind. It has been quite a few months since he had a proper dwarven pint. Still the Imperial beer here was more to his liking than the wine so plentiful in this land. When the table conversation turned to Justice and the means to make it he answered gruffly. I suppose in the end, we each do what we feel is correct and honorable or else how does one sleep with their shame at night? He then took a huge bite out of his sausage spraying the sizzling fat in a few directions. It will be sometime before your arm heals Elf. In that time how will you manage for yourself, if trial by combat is your vocation?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Lysander shows no sign of bearing a grudge against Gimgroth, not for what happened between them nor for any generic dwarf-elf rivalry and is apparently being genuinely friendly - even if he is fairly clearly figuring you out

Trial by combat is not really a vocation for me and in any case opportunities don't come along very often.

I was lucky

he looks at his arm

Or perhaps not, that you were in town and anyway Bretonnian justice very rarely has need of such as I

If I wanted to do it as a career I would travel elsewhere, but even then a champion doesn't get to fight every much. It is like having a high priced lawyer. You want people to settle rather than ever go to trial.

So I have other outlets, bounty hunting for example

Is there still a price on you in Anguille Mme Lacroix?

This sounds like polite conversation, not a threat, but you never know...

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

The journey from Castle Lyonesse to Turris Vigilans unfolded beneath a vast expanse of azure sky, its clarity unmarred by the ominous clouds that often loomed over the Warhammer Fantasy world. The road, worn smooth by the passage of countless feet and wagon wheels, stretched across undulating landscapes of emerald green. Towering trees whispered ancient secrets, their leaves rustling in the gentle breeze that carried the scent of blooming wildflowers.

As the sun ascended its zenith, the travelers crossed babbling brooks on stone bridges adorned with lichen and moss. Meadows stretched out on either side, painted with a riot of colors from the myriad flowers that nodded and swayed to the rhythm of nature's silent symphony. The air was filled with the distant hum of insects and the occasional trill of unseen birds.

The road wound through quaint villages, where red-tiled roofs clustered around market squares, and the villagers went about their daily tasks with a serene sense of routine. The landscape gradually changed, giving way to rolling hills that offered panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. Far in the distance, the silhouette of Turris Vigilans emerged against the horizon, its imposing spires reaching towards the heavens like ancient sentinels.

As the day wore on, the weather remained kind, the sun casting a warm, golden glow upon the landscape. The road began to ascend, and the air grew crisper. A sense of anticipation hung in the air, as if the very land itself recognized the significance of the destination.

With dusk approaching, the travelers reached the outskirts of Turris Vigilans. The city sprawled before them, a labyrinth of towering walls and winding streets. The first stars began to twinkle overhead, and the lights of the city flickered to life, casting a warm radiance that contrasted with the encroaching darkness.

At the city gates, a palpable tension replaced the earlier tranquility. Guards eyed the newcomers with a mix of suspicion and duty. Just as the party prepared to enter, a distant howl echoed through the gathering shadows, a haunting sound that seemed to carry an omen. The air thickened with a sense of foreboding, and the city gates loomed ahead, ready to either welcome the travelers into safety or plunge them into the depths of an unknown peril.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bruno wasn't sure what he could expect when he was told what Turris Vigilans was. He hadn't really seen any lighthouses except for the big one in L'Anguille, but that one was elven build and probably different from the human build ones. And he had been in temples of Verena of course, but the combination was something to learn about. He certainly hadn't expected a big city around that tower, but then again, it wasn't all that illogical when he thought about it. The lighthouse and the temple needed support of a village and the lighthouse meant the coast was safer, so easier to trade. And a lot of people had managed to get out of Mousillon and they had to go somewhere. Protected by priests of Verena probably didn't sound too bad for those people.

When the howl sounded, Bruno moved his horse a bit faster.
    "I think we best try to get to the city as quickly as possible," he suggested to his companions, "I'm not sure what that is, but probably nothing good."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Les' try not ta get bogged down here." Jasmine tells the others. "Find out what we can about tha rebels and get movin'"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard is content to be moving again, and on dry land at that.

Kwolf spurts from tree to tree to shoulder whilst Schlapp trots alongside

The only thing he finds somewhat disturbing is being away from Siobhan and Cathwulf, them having being a continual presence in his life for so long.

Well, there is also the disturbing part of getting close to the cursed duchy itself, a dull and unwelcoming smear cross the river, but at least that means making progress and hopefully finding answers.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis goes through his normal kaleidoscope of emotions on the way to Turris Vigilans, though he is happy that their band has not had to fight off orcs or beastmen on this overland journey. They fall in with a small caravan of supply from the capital, with three wagons driven by three brothers well familiar with the road. As it happens, they get just about to the lighthouse proper without major incident, and Bertelis is glad for it. His horses have gotten to stretch and run after being confined in the bowels of ships for so long, and his devotions shifted in weight away from Manaan back toward the Lady with time on land. Still, whatever part of his mind had been knocked loose by that skaven bullet was still spinning, and he sagged in the saddle in a brooding melancholy as they arrived at the Lighthouse, barely twisting in the saddle at the menacing howl beyond.

He doesn't even have the presence of self to double-time the caravan to make the gates. But by this point, Maxime is well used to his eccentricities; and the squire can be seen conferring quietly with him and then taking it upon himself to call the wagons to rush, just in case, before galloping off ahead to arrange the gates to be open at their arrival.

Weary at even the prospect of battle at this hour, Bertelis lets the wagons overtake him as he slips on his helmet, and frees up his lance and shield. With the gates in sight, they were likely to make it in without trouble.

...But he had seen a lot of unlikely trouble.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Answer?

Schlapp doesn't usually say much, so what passes for his thoughts are usually worthy of consideration

What say they?

Do not know. Might be "here I am "

Respond if it pleases you

Schlapp stops and gives an answering howl

Wighard drops back and covers the rear of the group, ensuring no one lags or gets left behind
    Last edited by wilphe; 2023-12-12 at 03:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

alright, so as the caravan files inside the gates of turris vigilans, wighard spots two pairs of glowing eyes, and one singular eye just watching him. one pair is green with vertical pupils, one is yellow with normal eyes, and the last is a singular red eye with an evil glare. they will just watch until everyone is inside, and then disappear back into the woods around the headlands

inside, the guards stare, and a burly fellow with a spear will say "state your business please. you here for business or pleasure?" at the last statement, a weaselly man with a wispy moustache will almost suppress a snicker

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'd say it is business this time," Bruno said, leaning into it, "but maybe we'll be back later for some pleasure. Any idea what that creature is that just popped its head up when we came in?"

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

We have come to seek the counsel of your priests.

We are the Company of the Burning Slug, sworn companions of his Lordship Bertelis de Roche, Banerez de Saulx, Chevalier de Hérrison.

His Lordship Bruno, Baron Richter

I am Wighard Rauschenberg, Brevet Surgeon-at-large of the Order of Aetius the Bright, Stabsarzt of his Imperial Majesty's Army

Gimgroth Grimdurson, The Faithful

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This is really Maxime's job, but to keep things moving.

Also note that this is in descending order of precedence and he doesn't introduce the two females.

Partially because they are female peasants and therefore beneath notice, partially because I cannot remember if Regine ever formally signed articles but mostly because their typical activities are going to be hampered by someone loudly announcing their presence and identities to anyone who cares to listen

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis gives a small nod when Wighard title-drops him; content to remain as an instrument of clout for the moment. The deeds ahead of them loomed over his world like mountains, like demons as big as mountains, and he found it hard to contribute at his usual sparkling level.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

the burly guard sighs "got no clue what those things are. they've been savaging the local farmsteads around here though, and only at night. they never leave any survivors. they also leave a strange sigil on the door of the farmstead afterwards" he proffers a small charcoal sketch of the sigil on the door. "i dunno if it means anything to you, but it gives me the fugging creeps"

the small weaselly man speaks up "if your looking for lodging, the laughing wanderer has rooms open" the guards will let you pass, but their eyes linger on your backs a second too long

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you, is anyone looking into this?

he looks at the small weaselly man, surprised to see him alone, but not judgemental about his looks, that's pretty much a given for his chosen livelihood

There are no ten year old boys around here to tout the delights of whichever place of rest or entertainment has them on commission or did you buy exclusive rights to the gate?

I warn you if you are offering whores and mandrake root you will find us unprofitable. Good food and wine however is a different matter.

And if you are planning on robbing us during the night you will probably end up doing so at the same time as we get attacked by something else way more dangerous than you.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bruno was looking at the symbol, trying to see if he recognised it form somewhere. He smiled when Wighard threatened the small guy, but the truth was that he was probably right.

Spoiler: OOC roll
    Show

(1d100)[49] vs 59 for either
    academic knowledge (genealogy/heraldry)
    academic knowledge (history)
    common knowledge (Bretonnia)
    common knowledge (empire)

So if it falls under any of those, Bruno can know it.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

the weaselly man will back up slightly as wighard approaches. "easy mr rauchesburg. i meant nothing by it." he'll offer to lead you to the laughing wanderer, or if that will not do, he offers a map of the area, probably acquired through less than legal means

the laughing wanderer tavern is a hodgepodge of architecture, with a lopsided thatched roof that seems to mock the weariness of the surrounding landscape. A flickering lantern hangs above the entrance, casting a feeble light that barely illuminates the peculiar carvings and symbols etched into the wooden door.

Inside, the tavern exudes a warmth that contrasts sharply with the cold, foreboding world outside. The dimly lit room is adorned with mismatched furniture salvaged from various places, and the walls are adorned with faded tapestries depicting scenes from a bygone era. The air is thick with the scent of rough ale and the crackling of a meager fire in the hearth. Patrons huddle together in whispered conversations, their laughter carrying an air of both camaraderie and wariness.

gimgroth: youd spot a large male dwarf with a long braided beard nursing a tankard of spiced rum at the bar. he seems to have something on his mind, and a burning need to share it with another dawi

mr dawi

bertelis and bruno: youd both spot a female witch hunter sitting at a corner booth, smoking a long-stem pipe, and scanning the area. she looks at you, nods, and goes back to smoking

ms witch hunter

wighard: youd spot a bard playing some upbeat music and mumbling softly to himself. the bard doesnt look like hes all there, and hes prolly seen some shtuff in mousillon. his eyes are bright, and he smiles to something that is to your left "Ah, darling, listen close as the shadows weave their tales in the silent corners of the night. Beware the twisted dance of spectral whispers that echo through the graveyard's cold embrace. The dead, they yearn for a macabre waltz, and the boundaries between the worlds waver like a fragile veil. Venture not lightly, for in that sepulchral realm, the forgotten yearn to share secrets darker than the tomb's cold stone. Tread with care, for the symphony of the damned awaits those who dare disturb the haunting melody of Marius' mad musings."

marius the bard

wdyd?
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-12-18 at 02:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

With the Inn not looking too seedy and Bertelis deep in torpor, Wighard orders Maxine, Odmar and Berthhold to attend to the mounts and enters the place.

Finding a suitable table he installs himself in a corner and surveys the room, as the bard finishes he looks as Beatrice

You think you can follow that?
    Last edited by wilphe; 2023-12-20 at 11:01 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

On the way to the inn, Bruno had been thinking about the symbol. He had some idea what it was.
    "You recognise the symbol," he asked Wighard when they entered, "I think I did and it's not good. Hopefully it's just a wannabe using the same symbol, but with our luck..."

Looking around the inn, he noticed the witch hunter. He was surprised to see one so far from the Empire, especially a woman. Bretonnia wasn't known for its woman warriors and also it didn't have witch hunters as a tradition like in the Empire. And the way most witch hunters behaved, they really needed that protection. But having seen the symbol, he could understand why the witch hunter was here.

When he came back from getting a drink, he walked by the witch hunter and stopped.
    "Hey, long way from the Empire," he said, "you're also here for the library and the priests?"