New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Default [SW5E-IC] Eye of the Storm Episode I: Dark Horizons

Star Wars:
    Eye of the Storm

Emphram Taim was not a particularly vain man. But he did understand that power was often the product of the trappings of power as it was anything inherent to those who held it (the Empire, for all of its faults, understood this very well). The office of the Moff of Osmur was large and well-appointed, but it was very much the workspace of a governor, an employee, a paid functionary. As uncomfortable with the idea of being seen as a dictator (or an emperor), Taim knew that he needed to project strength and power of he had any chance of succeeding in this mad scheme.

His solution was, perhaps predictably, efficient rather than grandiose.

On Osmur, a few dozen miles from the prison complex, was the administration building for the entire Sector. A broad, squat, purely functional building that housed an army of bureaucrats. And the top floor once housed an ISB field office. The floor was a single wide open space with over a hundred terminals and, at one end, set high up against a glass wall looking over the Krozcka Ravine, was a security station.

When the Empire crumbled, the ISB all fled (with Taim's urging). So Taim took over the security station, filled the terminals with his own people, and held court there.

Today, the room was oddly empty. Most of the terminals were occupied, of course, but there were few supplicants. So the room felt vast and cavernous.

Taim sat in his Seat, behind massive desk, and faced the rather motley group assembled before him.

"I appreciate you coming. And I appreciate your willingness to help. There is so very much to do and nowhere near enough time, resources, or good people, to do it."

He flips through a datapad on his desk until he finds what he's looking for.

"The planet Dortennia contains a number of several large weapons depots, maintenance facilities and factories. During the Imperial era it was also used as a training ground and there are maybe a half-dozen city-sized training complexes built to simulate all manner of environment."

"When the Imperial Era ended, I made an ex-Stormtrooper, Jaklin Perraud, the governor or Dortennia and asked only that she secure the depots by whatever means necessary."

A pause.

"I've lost contact with her. Her last message to me mentioned that she was having trouble with some of the former Imperials troops, indicating that they were forming gangs and seizing control over the civilian worker populations."

"I need you to go to Dortennia, find out what's happening and help Perraud secure the planet. If I can't have free access to those facilities, it will be basically impossible to defend the Sector."

"I can provide a ship and a pilot to get you there and get you home. And anything else you think you might need."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, after much ado, here we are. I'll let you all respond IC, and please give us a quick 'hero walk' in your OP telling us how you got here today, and why you're helping Taim. And then we'll jump right to Dortennia and really get rolling. Thank you for your patience. I'm very sorry about the delay.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: [SW5E-IC] Eye of the Storm Episode I: Dark Horizons

Miko, Chiss Consular 3 | AC: 16 HP: 29/29 | PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Force Points: 16/16 LR
    Force Shield: 3/3 LR
    Saber Storm: 2/2 SR
    Conditions:

Miko, as the first one to arrive for the meeting, sits in a chair close to Taim but across the desk from him. She is at ease in the formal surroundings. Her clothes match the decor, bearing the appearance of a politician or diplomat, with her imperial weave armor barely showing under her kimono-like robe, a pair of antique, decorative lightsabers and a guard's electrobaton holstered in her belt. She carries herself with a confidence that suggests a life of privilege, despite that not being true for her.

She has known Taim for a long time, and knows that helping him when he asks is a good idea. He's probably the only reason she is alive today, after her force powers were revealed to the wrong people on the gambling circuit.

As the others arrive, she introduces herself to them.

"Daiemi’ko’karys. You can call me Miko."
    Show
    Action:
    Bonus Action:
    Reaction:
    Movement:
    Object:
    Concentration:

Spoiler: Notes
    Show

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-09-07 at 10:51 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Ziro loudly knocks on the side of the door before slithering in, not that they needed to announce their presence. Their naturally bright coloration and the rhythmic shoosh, fwump of their gait make them hard to miss. They're a young hutt, and one with the distinction of having lost weight in their decade or so of residence on Osmur. For all the prison's indignities, Ziro has to admit they've never been in better shape.

"Miko! Ziro. Pleased to meet you!" Ziro gestures with her tail as she talks, an affect no doubt picked up from someone with head-tentacles. She reclines off to the side of the chairs, adjusting her big shotgun holster to make sure it doesn't bonk against the floor in the process. A gaudy welder's mask of a helmet hangs on her back along with an array of dangerous-looking tools and devices. Ziro doesn't hide her armor, instead opting to strap the breastplate over top her flowy tunic. It's more of a Bounty Hunter Chic approach to fashion. That's what the boss is paying her for, after all.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Gil Brimark remembered hearing at some point, "If you're early, you're on time. If you're on time, you're late."

By that definition, Brimark was late.

Punctuality, presumably, was one of his positive traits as a stormtrooper, though he couldn't be certain. It was something he'd have to work on... and hopefully, he hadn't lost his other positive traits from that time.

For the moment, he simply strode in through the door, before taking a standing position somewhere off to the side - somewhere visible, but not obtrusive, and a spot where he could observe the room and its occupants. He himself probably drew a bit of attention, what with his tall, athletic frame, short black hair (even if it had grown just a little during his time in medical), and professional appearance. The armor helped too, even though it was much less than what he would have worn as a stormtrooper.

Of course, he did little to keep anyone's attention, not speaking, at least not yet. That wasn't his role. His role was to wait, and to look out for possible danger.

As Taim speaks, Brimark listens. And in the end, he has few questions, save those which will help him complete his objective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

5. - Top - End - #5

OSMUR (The Administrator's Office)

Taim nodded his appreciation at those assembled. He pressed a button on his desk and, off to the side, a door opened and a male Twi'leck emerged. He was tall for a Twi'leck, and broad in the shoulders, with three long, slender lekku entwined in a loose ponytail hanging down his back. The tips swished from side to side, like a cat's tail, almost seductively, as he walked.

"This is Ce'sar Dyii, a local tramp freighter. He's agreed to carry a shipfull of supplies to Dortennia, and set you down while he delivers it."

The Twi'leck sketches a bow that manages to be both sarcastic and dignified. "The Cantina Dancer is at your service. I owe Moff..." he winces, "Sorry, Administrator Taim a favour or two and this is the least I can do. I've been hauling these lanes for years and years and don't expect much trouble." He smiles an easy, confident smile. "Plus my day rate for the haulage is, if I say so myself, quite generous."

He pauses a moment and gives Ziro and Gil odd glances, as though trying to work out where he knew them from...

But then his eyes fall on Miko and his smile widens. He gives her an openly appraising, approving look.

"Don't see many Chiss siding against the Hutts, not in Osmur anyway. You from around here? And more importantly, what are you doing after this?"

Taim shakes his head. "If you need anything for your journey, I've arranged for credit with some of the merchants. Prepare as best you can, but please be on your way with all haste."

=================================

THE CANTINA DANCER

The Cantina Dancer turns out to be an ancient Barloz-class freighter. From the outside, it seemed an absolute wreck, practically falling apart. But inside it was clean and orderly.

Ca'sar's first mate was a very old Gamorrean with missing fingers, a broken tusk, and networks of scars all over his face.

"Huzfin never learned Basic," Ce'sar explained, "So don't be too insulted if he's light on conversation."

Once underway, the freight was slow but smooth and steady. And it was three days to Dortennia.

During the trip:

Milko
    Ca'sar makes excuses to spent time near Miko, engaging her in conversation, asking her about herself. One day two he asks, "So, can I buy you lunch? It's all ship food, maybe, but I find the food goes down easier with pleasant company."

Gil
    Ca'sar gives Gil several hard looks. On day one he asks outright, "Do I know you from somewhere? It's not like me to forget a face and there's something familiar about you."

Ziro
    Ca'sar is somewhat awkward around Ziro, as though not sure what to say or how to say it. It is possible he recognizes her? Or is just being cautious? Either way, he does his best to avoid her without making it obvious that's he's doing.

==================================

DORTENNIA

Dortennia was a mostly barren pile of bright red rocks and dirt. Approaching, they could clearly see the half-dozen or so city-sized pockets of civilization clustered on the flat plains of the northern hemishpere, pushed against the enormous mountain ranges near the north pole, surrounded by and hundreds hundreds of miles and nothing. Near the south pole there were a few other, smaller sites.

Dortennia had two main space ports, one each at the north and south poles, with another two smaller, strictly military spacepads around the equator. However, upon approach, they could see a large, busy orbital complex at the north pole, with a great many freighters docked, and with smaller shuttles moving to and from the surface.

"Hey everyone," Ce'sar called over the intercom, "We got a wrinkle. They're saying no one lands on the planet without authorization. Everyone has to dock at the orbital station and wait to unload."

A pause.

"What do you want me to do?"

Show
    I broke the post into three parts so that people can comment on the prior scenes if they wish, and we can move the whole thing forward.

Spoiler: Ziro
    Show

It's mostly healed, and hard to see beneath the scars, but the first mate has the slave markings of the Jomba Clan. At one point or another, Huzfin served Ziro's family.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Conditions:

It's not the first time that Miko has had to fend off a potential suitor, and at least this one is cute. But she is not interested in romance at this point. She has a mission to complete for her friend Taim, and she won't let herself get distracted. So she let's the Twilek down easy, almost convincing him that it was his idea that they weren't meant for each other. But she still eats dinner with him, inviting the others to join her as well.

At times, she is able to understand what Ca'sar's first mate says, but she only listens in when he is talking to the Captain. when they receive the message not to land on the planet, Miko speaks up first.

"Well, I don't think this freighter is going to outrun all of the military, and the planet looks flat and barren, so I don't know where we'd hide. I think we need to follow their instructions."
    Show
    Sometimes casts Comprehend Languages to understand conversations between the captain and first mate.

Action:
    Bonus Action:
    Reaction:
    Movement:
    Object:
    Concentration:

Show
    Moff Taim, benefactor
    Dortennia contains a number of several large weapons depots, maintenance facilities, factories, and training complexes built to simulate all environment.
    Jaklin Perraud, ex-Stormtrooper, the governor or Dortennia tasked to secure depots
    Ce'sar Dyii, Twi'leck captain of the Cantina Dancer, a Barloz-class freighter
    Gamorrean first mate

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Brimark doesn't interact with people much on the trip - stormtroopers aren't known for conversation, after all, and on some level he still thinks of himself as a stormtrooper.

However, despite this fact, the captain still sees fit to interact with him.

At this, Brimark frowns a bit. Truth be told, he doesn't recall the Twi'lek captain at all, but he knows that that hardly means they've never met. Brimark can hardly imagine what the context would have been, though. As such, his response is entirely truthful: "I'm uncertain. Truth be told, I haven't shown my face much in the past, so even if we have met, I'm not sure why you'd recognize my face." He shrugs. "If it's important, one of us will remember."

=====

When the instructions come through for the ship to dock at the station, Brimark thinks for a moment. "It'd be best if our presence were kept discreet, but at the moment, do we really have anything to hide? If not, following their instructions may be better than trying to run."
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

The Office

"Naturally!" says Ziro at the conclusion of the planning meeting. "This is a rescue mission, after all. We will make haste to Dortennia presently. Then, we'll locate Governor Parraud, assess her progress with the depots, and take steps return her to office, if necessary." Ziro gets a certain glint in her eye as she says that last part. "Let's go!"

The Trip

Ziro tries saying hi to the Gamorrean in Huttese, though she can't really expect him to be much for conversation. Assuming he even understands it, Huzfin probably only knows it as the language of disinterested slave drivers telling him where to stand and look intimidating. But hey, Ziro could be wrong! Maybe he's been starving for someone to talk to forever, or maybe he's dying to give the hutt a piece of his mind about how he was treated in his last job. You never know!

She doesn't want to jump to conclusions about Ce'sar, either. If Huzfin isn't willing or able to talk about what his boss's deal is, Ziro isn't shy about wandering the ship trying to piece together an answer herself, all while the pilot is distracted flying the ship and hitting on Miko.

Ce'sar seems to be nothing if not fastidious, though. They might be at the station before Ziro can find enough evidence for an interesting hypothesis about his dealings.

The Station

"No one lands without authorization, you say?" Ziro echoes, thinking. "I assume that wasn't an issue last time you came here, correct? Authorization from who, exactly? Did they say? Could we ask?"

If this comes down to a negotiation with landing control, Ziro hangs around offering advice - or more likely, educated guesses about what sort of shenanigans are going on down there behind the scenes.

Show
    Whoever is making checks for doing any talking, feel free to take a +4 from Critical Analysis.

Not sure if you want me to roll investigation for Ziro's curiosity during the trip, or whether you'd rather just tell us whatever you want us to think we know.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2023-09-15 at 09:56 PM. Reason: missed ONE color tag, then added a clarifying spoiler

9. - Top - End - #9

ON THE CANTINA DANCER

Gil
    Ce'sar doesn't push it any farther, he just shakes his head. "I can't put it together but I'm sure I've seen you before. Have you ever owned a droid?"

Miko
    The conversations Miko overhears between Ce'sar and Huzfin are mostly about ship maintenance and astrogation and various trade contracts. For what it's worth, he does seem genuinely dedicated to Taim's vision for a free and independent Osmur (plus or minus his profit margin, of course).

On day two, however, she catches them discussing Ziro. Ce'sar is asking Huzfin if he knew her (Ziro), had ever seen her, knew anything about her. There'd been some rumours that she had some connections with the Jomba Clan and Ce'Sar was deeply concerned about the Hutts getting a foothold in the Sector.

"Taim is fine. The New Republic is fine. Even one of these tin-pot pretenders to Palpatine's throne is endurable. But anything... anything is better than the Hutt's."

Ziro
    Ce'Sar doesn't seem very concerned about Ziro wandering the ship. He makes a couple of disapproving face, warns her to watch herself and not touch anything important, but other than that, he's got a whole ship to manage and he can't be everywhere.

Ziro doesn't find anything very scandalous. However, this particular model of ship was fairly commonly used by her family. It had a couple of things going for it: it was heavily armoured, pretty much never broke down, was often underestimated, and the bulkhead design made it very easy to install person-sized hidden compartments all through it. Which made it perfect for trafficking slaves.

It only took a little bit of snooping for Ziro to confirm that this ship has the full complement of hidden compartments. Just over 50.

There was no one in any of them now, as far as she could tell.

APPROACHING DORTENNIA

Ce'Sar looks up at Ziro. "Yeah this is all new. It's been a while since I been out this way, but the orbital station was backup and logistics then."

Huzfin says something, his voice frustrated.

Ce'Sar nods. "Yeah, Huz. Exactly. And inefficient. This is going to make everything take three, four times as long to get anything in-world. And then you're stuck with surface transport after that."

In response to her other question.

"They didn't say who's doing the authorizing. Just asking for an authorized transponder code. And I don't think I've got one of those."

Show

If no one does anything, the Dancer will dock at the orbital station and have to wait about a half-hour before unloading. If anyone wants to do anything else, or go a different way, let me know.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Ziro looks from person to person, then shrugs. "Well! As you say, Gil, we're not in trouble with these fellows just yet. That and we can hardly land without a dock. Let's check out the station and see if we can find any answers there. We'll need hints for our search anyway, and it's as good a place to look as any!"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2023-09-18 at 10:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Conditions:

Ziro seems sensible. Miko tells him of the conversation she overheard between Ce'sar and the first mate, leaving it to him to address the captain if he chooses. At Dortennia, Miko agrees that we should get some information before we just disobey whoever is in charge here.

"I agree. Let's land on the orbital station. We can always pretend to leave and then take the ship to the surface later if we decide to."
    Show

Action:
    Bonus Action:
    Reaction:
    Movement:
    Object:
    Concentration:

Show
    Moff Taim, benefactor
    Dortennia contains a number of several large weapons depots, maintenance facilities, factories, and training complexes built to simulate all environment.
    Jaklin Perraud, ex-Stormtrooper, the governor or Dortennia tasked to secure depots
    Gamorrean first mate

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Orana Zhade

Orana Zhade had arrived late for the meeting and later still for the Cantina Dancer. She had been filing away a report on a mission to Voss and had only just finished it. The mission itself had been a blast - gambling, sophisticated company, a very handsome Zabrak gentlemen (who she was certain sold secrets to both the New Republic and Imperial warlords) beautiful scenery and just the right amount of sneaking into places, blaster play and late night speeder chases. Yes the glamorous life of a spy could be fun...

Except for the reports. Orana hated the reports.

She'd walked half asleep to the Cantina Dancer (in her vintage Alderaanian heels no less) then fallen fully asleep for most of the trip, only finally waking up refreshed as the vesel approached the station.

"I needed that," the platinum haired young woman said, looking around at her comrades and offering them a charming smile. "So shall we dock?"

13. - Top - End - #13

"You got it."

Ce'Sar pulls the heavy ship around and drifts into dock. Up close, the orbital station looks like it was hastily modified and altered fairly recently. All over are signs of hasty work and modifications that were never part of its original design.

Once docked Ce'Sar gets permission to disembark into the 'main concourse' while waiting for the cargo to be unloaded and verified.

The loading ramp goes down, leading to a small, narrow hanger with a force-field at one end. At the other end is an open doorway, flanked by three guards, all wearing modified and painted storm-trooper armour and carrying standard issue Imperial blaster rifles.

As the group approaches they are stopped. "Passenger manifest says pilot and co-pilot. Who are all of you?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Conditions:

Invoking Taim's name seems like a bad idea, if his representative has been silenced. But Ziro could make a good excuse for being here. She recites the story that the party had already discussed on the trip here.

"Hello, I am Daiemi’ko’karys, advisor and negotiator for Ziro the Hut here, representative of Arla the Hut. As you can imagine, our presence requires a bit of subtlety lest the new Republic administrators look into your records. Our inspection here needs to remain confidential. Please describe your current operations and get us up to speed. This docking port is new from our last visit."
    Show

Action:
    Bonus Action:
    Reaction:
    Movement:
    Object:
    Concentration:

Show
    Moff Taim, benefactor
    Gamorrean first mate

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-09-25 at 06:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

They can't see the officer's face, of course, but his helmet ***** to the side in a clear expression of confusion and concern. And when he sees Ziro, and realizes who she is, his body language shifts slightly toward obesiance.

"We weren't informed Miss Ziro would be...uh.... attending the summit. She should have known not to come this way. This is for cargo only. There's no passenger shuttle to the surface except for staff."

He looks over them again.

"I could call down for authorization for a shuttle? It's hours until the next one."

He clearly wants to call someone in higher authority to run all this past and get some guidance.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ah! You'll forgive me if I've been a bit... overzealous in keeping my route under wraps," Ziro chimes in, doing her best to pick up what Miko is putting down. "I don't mind riding with some cargo, as long as I can travel undisturbed - not to mention undelayed. I assume there's at least one shipment going down to the summit's proximity? I'm willing to cover the cost of a simple parcel shipment, if you catch my meaning."

Spoiler
    Show
    Her meaning is that she's willing to grease his palm to hitch a ride, but Dr. Gunsforhands doesn't know how many credits a good bribe runs these days.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Conditions:

Miko continues, playing off Ziro's response.

"We only stopped here because you asked. We have been busy the past few months and haven't received updates like we should have. Who should we discuss that with? As far as getting to the surface, you should just give us permission to fly our ship to the surface, and give us directions to the summit. We would be most grateful for your assistance."

Leaving implied that the bribe still applies.
    Show
    Persuasion with advantage (1d20+8)[12], (1d20+8)[16]

Action:
    Bonus Action:
    Reaction:
    Movement:
    Object:
    Concentration:

Show
    Moff Taim, benefactor
    Gamorrean first mate

18. - Top - End - #18

The officer looks back and forth from Ziro to Miko, clearly in some indecision. He got the implication of the bribe right away, but Ziro's involvement has raised the stakes and he's not sure what's the best way forward.

"I can't give your ship permission to land on the surface. No one is allowed to land on the surface until the summit is over. I can..." he looks around, "...find a way to get you on the next cargo shuttle. changing the manifest is easy enough. But there is a fee to re-file. 250 credits."

Pause.

"Or, if you prefer, I can call down and put you in touch with someone who can give you permission to land."

He clearly prefers the latter (taking it out of his hands), but can't quite resist the lure of the former.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Conditions:

Miko smiles at the guard, continuing the appropriate protocols,

"No need to disturb everyone. Our presence here needs to be discrete. We can take the next cargo shuttle. Thanks for arranging the manifest change."

She hands over 300 credits for the manifest change, not expecting any change.

Show

Action:
    Bonus Action:
    Reaction:
    Movement:
    Object:
    Concentration:

Show
    Moff Taim, benefactor
    Gamorrean first mate

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-10-01 at 05:11 PM.