New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Guards of Osteara [IC]

Garren pocketed his badge and finished throwing on his chain shirt. After a moment's hesitation, he put on his surcoat and grabbed a halberd as well. He'd be in among dozens of uniformed guards, with no way to hide his association with them. Trying to be inconspicuous among the crowd wasn't an option for him either. While waiting for further orders from the Sergeant, he looked over the other recruits to see if any needed help with their armor.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The surcoats are quite eye-catching in blue and white, announcing the presence of the city guard.

Wearing it isn't mandatory, which is why I tried to put an emphasis on 'a badge at least' but I might have been too subtle. I didn't mean to invalidate the ones that might have wanted to keep a lower profile.

Sergeant Calgar looks over the new recruits, turning to Rosa and Alexis. "We're about to find out. Three whistles signifies a major crime in progress." he says in a serious tone. "Officer needs assistance. Remember that."

He checks that everyone is ready before making to leave, donning a surcoat of his own.

"Sir Sur..." the surcoat says, replying in halfling. "...Haven't had a name before. Or a voice... But purpose. I protect. the voice sounds determined. Aidan feels understanding of the surcoat flow into his mind

Spoiler: Sir Sur
    Show
    The surcoat can be activated once per day as a standard action to give a +1 Enhancement Bonus to armor worn by the surcoat's wearer. (Including ordinary clothes)

The sergeant leads the group through the streets, heading towards the river. They reach the scene. A pair of guards, one of whom is down. There's a handful of people around additionally.

"What happened?" Calgar demands from the remaining guard, kneeling down to check on the unconscious one, checking that he's still breathing.
    "We caught a trade gone sour... Illicit I think, they attacked us, then scattered." the guard says.

Spoiler: Crimescene
    Show
    I can provide more details on inquiry. For the moment, you can follow what's going on, use any skills you might think applicable from survival or perception to diplomacy, lore or knowledge. Or just explain what you want to try and achieve.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

The moment he heard the situation, Ingo wordlessly got started on a contraption that could potentially be of use. He’s been fairly eager to finally throw something together, hence the speed at which to jumped to it after receiving more details. Of course, he had traps he could throw together in the middle of combat, but they aren’t as interesting to throw together and don’t scratch the itch.

As the contraption nears its completion, Ingo closes his eyes and takes a deep breath before putting it away and taking a more thorough look around, looking for where they went and possibly leftover clues as to what the trade may’ve been about.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Assuming I managed to spend a minute throwing it together, I have a Color Spray assembly made

Afterwards, I’m starting up and concentrating on the Hypervision divination

(1d20+7)[16] Perception check #1
    (1d20+7)[25] #2

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

"How many, and where'd they go?" Garren asked the guard straightforwardly, while he looked all around him to get his bearings and gather the mood of the crowd.

Spoiler
    Show

Some possible lines of inquiry:

- Perception: (1d20+6)[9] Are they making a commotion in the direction they ran?

- Knowledge (Local): (1d20+5)[9] If I were on the run from this spot, where would I go to lose the heat?

- Survival: (1d20+6)[24] They may have left tracks, if the ground's wet or whatnot.

- Diplomacy: (1d20+5)[10] So much for trying not to look like a guard. If there's nothing else to point the way, we'll have to ask around for witnesses...

- Intimidation: (1d20+10)[20] ...and they may need to be convinced to speak.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Alexis frowns as she sees the unconscious guard. She hurries to the downed guard to check his condition.
    Heal skill check: (1d20+4)[19]

Then, she asks the guard who is still up, "Did you recall any sort of special markings? I know many of the gangs in Osteara, so I may be able to identify the groups involved here."
    Lore (Osteara) check to recall information about gangs and affiliations, if any pertinent identifying info is given: (1d20+7)[25]

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Rose starts talking to any bystanders trying to get any information on who the perps were or where they went.

Spoiler: Diplomacy Roll
    Show

Rolling to gather information via Diplomacy
    (1d20+8)[20]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Post Re: Guards of Osteara [IC]

It was odd "being a guardsman" Aidan spent several moments watching the scene unfold. Seemed some sort f deal had soured and another watchman was caught up in the scuffle. Fair enough. He smiled at the how each of his new squad each took to action, Rose seemed at ease chatting up the lingering crowd, and Alexis quickly saw to the injured guard. Perhaps a comrade from her time in the watch? Garen, an intimating sight in his street clothes seemed much more commanding in his Osterian blue and whites and a giant pole axe in his hand. "Well," he said to his growing menagerie of sentient objects, "looks like we'll have to do a bit of work as well." The druid *** watchman lazily made his way among the crowd looking for any familiar face who he could ask about what had happened ... and why.

Show

Diplomacy Gather Information - (1d20+15)[32]
    I got conflicting info on whether using skills always takes your standard action. IF it does in this case, then Sir Sur will loose his spark of sentience as it breaks my concentration.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Provided that Ingo didn't put on an armour, he could take the minute to whip up the Assembly, arriving at the tail end of the group.

Regarding Concentration and skills, I'm going to say that routine uses of skills like Diplomacy to gather information and Perception are generally move-equivalent actions. Attempts to influence folk (Bluff, or diplomacy/intimidate to influence attitude are generally standard-equivalent actions for the amount of time you need to put into them..

Alexis kneels next to the injured guard. He is unconscious, and seems stable. He could use some first aid, having taken wounds intended to put him to the ground. Not successfully, of course. The other guard, now faced with not only sergeant Calgar but Alexis and Garren
    "Did you recall any sort of special markings? I know many of the gangs in Osteara, so I may be able to identify the groups involved here." Alexis asks.
    "One of them... had a gang marking, I think. On his arm, like a ram's horn."
    Spoiler: Alexis
    Show
    Alexis does recognize that symbol. Twilight Horn. It's an older gang, once led by a tiefling called Traxiom. He was imprisoned for life, and the gang lost influence. Someone has picked it up, a desperate fellow that joined another outfit... Or Traxiom isn't as locked up as he's supposed to be.

Spoiler: Garren
    Show
    Garren isn' familiar with the local gangs. He does, however, spot a few muddy prints coming from the direction of the river. Two pairs, probably disembarked from a barge or small boat. They continue due North-West for a bit, growing more faint. He could follow them, at least until the morning rush obscured them. If they went to the ground close by, they could be caught yet.

Rose and Aidan walk the crowd, asking around. Aidan focuses on a familiar face he's seen around in Cuttlefish Cave on occasion. An older half-elf, often found fishing, sharing big catches with the folks at the eatery. From his gear, he was setting to go towards the port before coming across this scene. Albard, the halfling recalls his name.
    Spoiler: Aidan
    Show
    With his diplomacy roll, he can ask the man as many questions he wants and expect an honest answer. We can either roleplay such a conversation in full or you can just ask the questions you might want to about what he saw.

Rose, as she asks around, manages to get a few conflicting reports, as well as people who arrived only to see folks running.
    Spoiler: Rose
    Show
    One witness, a woman says she was pushed over by one of the perpetrators, a human man, middle-aged with a shaven head and a tattoo.
    A coachman says he saw a trio of men arrive to the area and wait around.
    An elven man, some kind of scholar, says that he saw a conversation getting heated with five, definitely five, individuals, and then two guards mix in. A pair fled at once, dropping something. Three men overwhelmed the guards, picked up the dropped object, and fled towards the docks. None were elves, which he makes a point of. As to their actual races, he didn't pay attention.

Collating the information, she can surmise that the sellers fled one way, the buyers another, the latter towards the docks in the East.

Ingo examines the scene, focusing on the details and big picture, enhancing his senses to see more than normal.
    Spoiler: Ingo
    Show
    With his enhanced perception, he can pick out some flecks of blood on the ground, as well as muddy footprints headed in a northward direction. Medium and Small, from their size and stride.

Related to the blood, while the guard is bruised up, he doesn't have bleeding wounds.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Alexis finishing binding the wounds on the guard, and then goes to share the information with her new squadmates. "Hey, the guards described a symbol to me they saw. I recognized the symbol as that of the gang "Twilight Horn." Maybe symbol is now being used by another gang, or perhaps someone from the old gang is with another outfit. Or...the previous leader, tiefling called Traxiom, who should be in jail, has broken out. It's a lead we can work on. What have you all found?"

10. - Top - End - #40

MonkGuy

Rose returns to the group and and wait for Alexis finish before she shares what she learned. "There were...er...a few witnesses. From what they...um...said this is what I can...um...piece together. First the sellers fled...um...one way, then the the buyers...uh...another, the latter towards the...um...docks in the East. Also might be an elf involved but that might be me reading to much into a statement."

11. - Top - End - #41

Ingo points his finger at the muddy footprint. “There’s two different footprints heading northward; if the buyers went east, I’d be inclined to assume those are the sellers’ footprints. Assuming the sellers still have the item they were selling, I’d say it might be worth pursuing them first. However, there’s something odd about this.”

He then walks towards some of the blood and points at it. “The guard was beaten to unconsciousness, but I didn’t spot any signs of bleeding from him. This leads me to assume that it’s blood spilled due to the soured trade. Perhaps the buyers managed to muscle whatever it was they were buying from the sellers, but that seems absurd as that’d imply the sellers took no precautions to protect themselves in case of the trade going awry.”

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

"Folk take precautions and get beaten up anyway. Garren grimaced with that statement, as though he knew it well from experience. "I can follow these tracks northwest; could be they hid close by."

"Lots of us here. We could split up and follow both without much hassle," he suggested.

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure how many other guards and recruits came with the PCs and the Sergeant but it might be enough to split up without being spread thin.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2023-10-22 at 11:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

“Albard!”, the halfling had cried out seeing a familiar face. It had been some time since he’d seen the old half-elf, but as always he was a sight for sore eyes. He knew Albard was a canny sort, quick of wit, sharp of eye and ear and generous with those in need. And Aidan was very much in need this morning. Leaning in (and up) close he let fly a barrage of questions about the even in a manic high speed tirade, giving little thought as to if the half-elf was able to hear or keep up with the rapid fire queries.

Spoiler: Rapid Fire Questions
    Show

• Did you see what happened?
    • Do you know who tussled with the guards? And Why?
    • Were they Locals? If so who are they, where do they frequent/live?
    • Did you see where everyone went?
    • Do you know what the fuss is about?
    • When are you planning on visiting again? I’ll have me ma make you some of those battered mussels you like.
    • How’s your family doing?
    • Does this uniform look good on me?

Show

Concentrating on Bestow Intelligence
    Spell Points: 3 / 5
    Draw Magic Count: 2 (Rat - Bestow Intelligence), (Sir Sur - Bestow Intelligence - Languages granted: Common & Halfling)
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2023-10-23 at 04:30 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There weren't recruits besides you, so the numbers are few. "Can you take a sample of that blood?" sergeant Calgar asks Ingo, who pointed it out.

Albard looks down at the frantic halfling, able to keep up with his questions. "Let's see..." he says, words coming out in a slow drawl as was his habit. Sharp but not in a hurry, he was. "Did see what h'enned, yeah... Guards came up on these two groups... 'bout a few each. Two of 'em I've seen b'fore, plyin' the river by night and morn'. Reckon one's called Marg or somesuch. They left Northways. Other blokes went after the guards. Hey, like you!" he finishes with realization.
    "I'll see if I catch a big'un today. Goes well with them mussels. Kids is grown up and workin hard. Nyx is expectin'" he beams.

As that discussion goes on, Calgar makes a judgement on the proceedings. "The sellers might be closer. And the trail won't last. I'll take two or three of you. If any of you can heal Harold, do so." he says, motioning to the guard. "If not, Jans will see to his partner. The rest should see any leads on the dockward group."

He strokes his chin, collating the rest of the information. "Twilight Horn had a hideaway at the junction of Fishmonger's Row and Bushel Street. If you lose the trail, that might be worth checking out. Cautiously. And that applies to all of you." he says, giving everyone a stern look.

Show
    The Northbound group pursuing the sellers would include at least Garren and the sergeant. You can assign yourselves to group or have the sergeant split you according to his whim.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Alexis nods. "As I know many of the gangs, I will head east to check out the dock and the Twilight Horn hideout. Who else wants to come with me?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

“Thanks Abard!” Aidan says cheerfully to his friend, “I think we have some raspberry and peppermint leaf in the the kitchen I’ll have ma wrap a bundle for Nyx,” his face beaming with a wide smile. “I better get back to ‘work,’” he finishes with a wink before rushing over to kneel next to Harold.

Sorry Sir Sur, he thinks as he breaks his concentration to divert his energies into the fallen guard, the turquoise rune on the surcoat fades into bluish coloured mist and evaporates as the charm is broken, at the same time a soft golden light washes over Harold as the halfling druid touches him.

Aidan looks to Alexis, “The docks eh?” he says, “I think I’ll go with you, mayhap we can swing by me Ma’s and grab a bite once we’ve finished.” He nods in the direction of a half-elf, “Albard there said there were two groups, ones that knocked Harold here, went off towards the docks.”

He looks in the direction of the river then points to the neighbourhoods to the north, “a pair of river rats it would seem, one named ‘Marg’ went north.”

Aidan stands to look at Jans, “If Calgar approves maybe you and Harold can after that lot, ones that tussled with you have the make of you, maybe be spooked if they see ya again.”

He faces Calgar, “With your leave sergeant, might we remove our uniforms?” the druid asks running a hand over the blue and white talbard, “so as to proceed with discretion and caution, no need to cause another tussle if we can avoid it.”

“Besides,” he continues flipping the badge in the air and catching it before putting in a hidden pocket on his waist, “we’ve our badges when the time comes.”

Show

Spend a SP to use Cure from Life Sphere on Harold Cure - (1d8+1)[2]
    Spell Points: 2 / 5
    Draw Magic Count: 1 (Rat - Bestow Intelligence)

17. - Top - End - #47

Ingo nodded and went to bag up some of the blood on the scene as asked. However, at the mention of splitting up to pursue each of the leads, he just stands there indifferent. Considering he doesn’t particularly prefer the prospects of following either side, he just intends to see where there’s space left.

18. - Top - End - #48

MonkGuy

Seeing the two people she knows have teamed up it make sense for Rose to join them. "If you want a...um...third, I'd like to...um...join you. I can help with gathering information and well...um...I'm good at helping people."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm followin' the tracks north. However we do this, at least one proper guard oughta go with the other bunch, given the Sarge wants to come with me," Garren pointed out. He seemed loath to take his eyes off the tracks he'd found, as if he might not be able to find them again if he looked away too long.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Albard nods to Aidan. "Be seein' you" The druid heals Harold enough for the man to regain consciousness. He rubs his head, and Jans sees him to his feet.

Sergeant Calgar looks between the recruits, watching them split into teams, work at the problem. You get the impression that he is testing your mettle even now. To Aidan, he gives a nod of acknowledgement. "Jans. You're with the dock pursuit team. Follow them. In earshot. The rest of you. Plain clothes is fine. I figure having Jans out all resplendent is going to draw eyes away from you. Discreet. Ingo, you're with me. Garren, lead the way."

The Northern team follows Garren as he follows the trail. It grows a but faint along the next few streets, until he realizes that the trail doesn't continue past a cross of streets. He's sure he wouldn't miss it going on, so they must have gone left towards the west, or doubled towards the coast due east.
    Show
    A good time for Perception, or divination-type magic. Or perhaps Local or relevant lore.

Heading towards the East, potentially inconspicuously, are Aidan, Rose and Alexis, as well as the guard Jans. They have no trail, but there are some upset folk, and some mention to the guard that they saw some folks doing a runner, pointing the way. Do the other pursuers go forward before the guard, hang back and follow, or stick close together? Each could potentially have advantages.
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2023-11-02 at 04:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

"Tracks fade here. Coulda gone left or right. Don't think they went straight across." Garren looked around for more clues while he tried to recall what he could of the city's gangs.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+6)[19]
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+5)[15]

If no clues and no other suggestions are forthcoming, Garren did hear Aidan refer to this lot as "river rats" so he would suggest going east, toward the water.

22. - Top - End - #52

Seeing that the trail ends here, Ingo refocuses himself for a few seconds before feeling a dull pain. He then reopenes his eyes and looked around, hoping to find something, such as a hidden door or anything that might indicate where they may’ve disappeared to.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Spending a spell point on Detect Secrets and concentrating as a standard action

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Alexis makes sure she has no guard insignia on, and then she moves ahead of the guard while pretending to just be heading in that direction by happenstance.

24. - Top - End - #54

MonkGuy

Rose removes all guard insignia. She keeps her badge in her belt pouch incase she needs it again. She dances near the group like a passing entertainer some time hold her hat out for donations. She tries to keep the crowds attention oh her and not the rest of the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Incase it's needed
    Perform(dance)=(1d20+8)[25]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Garren and sergeant Calgar wait for Ingo to perform his Divination, to the left and right. He gets a sense from the left. A concealed space, accessible through a trap door. The divination doesn't give him a sense if it's occupied, but he can get there, and once he sees it, his divination will let him know how to enter. About thirty feet towards the left on the street there's a small alcove. Easily missed without the divination is a bit of odd stonework. Pressing there would set the trapdoor to swing open and let into a small space between houses, hidden from the street.

"Nice work, recruit" sergeant Calgar says, putting a hand on his shoulder.

Near the docks, Rose, Alexis and Aidan are going incognito. moving a bit ahead of the properly geared guard, they are able to observe the crowds of people. The docks themselves are visible from the higher street, already busy.

On the street itself, the approaching guard draws attention, and reactions vary. Many simply watch. Others show contempt or even hostility. It's been a moment since the last person reported a group running past. They might have hidden away or slowed down to meld into the mass of people.

Show
    This is the place to use Sense Motive, Perception, Local, or one other skill. Each PC should pick one skill to roll. I'll give a more detailed description of the crowds based on those results.
    Rose won't need that Perform check (yet) but if it comes up I'll count it.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Alexis relies on her knowledge of Osteara!

(1d20+7)[10]

27. - Top - End - #57

MonkGuy

Rose roams the crowds talking to people as she dances. She tries to subtly gather answers about the men we're chasing.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Rolling for Diplomacy - Gather Info (1d20+8)[18]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Although new, the group dispersed, each playing a role contributing to the whole while seemingly independent. There seemed to be an unconscious understanding amongst them. Aidan smiled as everyone set to the task.

Aidan reached into a concealed pouch and removed Ráthóir, Keep an eye out for anything unusual, he sent, gently tossing Rat aloft where the small orb floated up, hovering above his master’s head and moving as he moved. The pair languidly slipped into the dimly lit shade beneath the eaves of the buildings and stalls over looking the docks and began scanning the crowd as they slowly walked.

Show

The pair is trying to stick to the shadows and observe everyone without being noticed, or making it obvious, not trying to hide so much as trying to conceal what they’re doing.

Perception – Aidan - (1d20+8)[10]
    Stealth - Aidan - (1d20+12)[22]

Perception – Rat - (1d20+5)[10]
    Stealth - Rat - (1d20+21)[41]

Spell Points: 2 / 5
    Draw Magic Count: 1 (Rat - Bestow Intelligence)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Garren grunted softly as he considered the space the trapdoor would open into. "Tight quarters. I'll lead the way, if one of you can hold these." He indicated his Watch-issued halberd and tabard, the former impossible to wield in an enclosed space and the latter giving a potential opponent more clothing to grip in a clinch.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2023-11-13 at 02:11 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

“Just a neat trick I was taught for these situations.” Ingo thought back briefly, realizing its been a while since he’d last mooched food off of a certain someone.

When Garren asked about relieving himself of his issued weapons, Ingo warily took one to hold onto. He wasn’t sure if he could carry it along that well, but he tried anyway without a word and just followed behind.
    Last edited by Dakrsidder; 2023-11-14 at 01:16 AM.