New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fall in the Mall 1987 - AFMBE OOC

Quote Originally Posted by LarsWester View Post
    Sure those with fast reactions would get their turn first. I am playing Mr. Mom the last few days watching our kids as my wife went on a mini vacation with her sister. Way busier than I thought.
    Yea, it's always go, go, go when I have the kids. I feel you. Hang in there! We will be here.

2. - Top - End - #62

So what is everyone's perception on the armament of a mall cop in the late 80's? I am thinking no gun, but probably a billy club and a personal bowie knife he has peace tied on his opposite hip (mostly for utility, but also comfort of something for self defense).

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Certainly, they wouldn't issue knives and he'd get in real trouble if he used one on the job.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sure those with fast reactions would get their turn first. I am playing Mr. Mom the last few days watching our kids as my wife went on a mini vacation with her sister. Way busier than I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    Yea, it's always go, go, go when I have the kids. I feel you. Hang in there! We will be here.
    Seconded! Kids are hard.

So what is everyone's perception on the armament of a mall cop in the late 80's? I am thinking no gun, but probably a billy club and a personal bowie knife he has peace tied on his opposite hip (mostly for utility, but also comfort of something for self defense).
    Beyond "probably nothing lethal displayed openly"… I'm not sure.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I think it is important to remember the setting of South Carolina. I think that it is likely that John has an unloaded piece on him. Meaning Bullets secured elsewhere on person. South Carolina is very pro-gun probably even back in the 80s.

6. - Top - End - #66

I think it is important to remember the setting of South Carolina.
    Ah, right, southern US. Let me amedn my previous thought to "side-by-side double barreled break action shotgun held, hunting rifle with scope slung over back, two .45 guns on hips and a backup/utility .32 in an ankle holster".

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking ‘handgun’ at the least, but a club and/or knife in addition to said gun doesn’t sound out of place to me. Just lots and lots of paperwork if he has to actually use any of them. I admit I don’t know how accurate that would be to the 80s though.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68

I think it is important to remember the setting of South Carolina. I think that it is likely that John has an unloaded piece on him. Meaning Bullets secured elsewhere on person. South Carolina is very pro-gun probably even back in the 80s.
    Well being Ex-military, I assume John would have the permits to carry and it seems businesses CANNOT supersede this state law. I imagine South Carolina only has the "restrictions" they do now because it is required by the federal government in some way and it was probably even more open in the 80's. So I'll say he has a unloaded handgun (1911 comes to mind), with ammo on the opposite hip. Baton and concealed knife also available.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure those with fast reactions would get their turn first.
    Do we need to determine post order between PCs in that case? I've been under the assumption John's going first, since he's trained for situations like this, but I can throw up a post for Katy in the interest of keeping the IC running if it won't gum anything up.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Within group initiative I feel its first post goes first. Meaning any with fast reactions can go in any order

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Well being Ex-military, I assume John would have the permits to carry and it seems businesses CANNOT supersede this state law. I imagine South Carolina only has the "restrictions" they do now because it is required by the federal government in some way and it was probably even more open in the 80's. So I'll say he has a unloaded handgun (1911 comes to mind), with ammo on the opposite hip. Baton and concealed knife also available.
    Sounds right to me.

12. - Top - End - #72

Sorry guys, my family has come down with the seasonal crud (4yo and 1yo, both throwing up and feverish). I've just got stuffy nose, but taking care of them has been a full time job. Every time I sit down to post, I immediate have to go do something else. I'll get something up within 12hours though, I promise. Sorry for the hold up. Kareeah_Indaga, please feel free to post whenever you are available, do not wait for me. John will react to interpose himself between the "zombies" and Betsy, as he assumes the adults can protect themselves and have a police officer to help, the teenager seems vulnerable.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Hope you all feel better soon!

John will react to interpose himself between the "zombies" and Betsy, as he assumes the adults can protect themselves and have a police officer to help, the teenager seems vulnerable.
    Excellent, that meshes well with what I’d been planning. Post is up BTW.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2023-11-06 at 07:07 AM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

Sorry it wasn't quite within 12 hours, but I finally got it posted. This is just 1 hit after another it seems.

15. - Top - End - #75

Meanwhile, here I am, left to contemplate if G. had enough time to already nod off. And it's HARD.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Looks like it's my turn for a post in the combat scene. Movie Marathon folks feel free to post RP style posts if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Katy felt a brief burst of nausea at those costumes - it’s not real blood it’s not real blood it’s not real blood - but they were going after her friend and she had to do something.

So she snatched Rebecca’s drink out of her hand and threw it at the rioters chasing Betsy, shouting “You stay away from her!”, trying to get their attention.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    ZM, what do I roll?
    Not like a drink will do any damage anyways I'll treat this as a success and include it and the repercussions in my upcoming post.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Oh boy forgot to see when other important NPCs can go in the initiative.

Betsy (1d10+2)[3]
    Principal Klander (1d10+1)[10]
    Officer Mendoza (1d10+2)[11]
    Betsy's Mom (1d10+1)[2]
    Becca (1d10+2)[11]

John and Katy are pre-initiative.
    Officer Mendoza 11
    Becca 11
    Zombies are at 10.
    Principal Klander at 10
    Betsy 3
    Betsy's Mom 2

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

Vincent is still back somewhere else, right?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kinro View Post
    Vincent is still back somewhere else, right?
    I think Vincent is with Giselle getting bored watching movies instead of chomped on.

Spoiler: Z1->Katy
    Show
    Moves up to Katy and makes an attempt to grab her and bite. [roll3] Katy needs to make a Dodge/Dex check to oppose this. If the zombie hits it does [roll4] x 2 damage to Katy's [roll5] On success does 6 damage to Katy's right arm. Describe your interaction in your post with the opposed roll. Also probably about time for a fear check for Katy let's do it after her dodge check though.
    Would that Fear check just be 1d10+Willpower?
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2023-11-06 at 07:27 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the rest of us are still watching Little Shop of Horrors in the Food Court. Which, if zombies get in, will be a different kind of food court.

Not that I think it'll matter for this particular combat, but since Eleanor is on edge and listening for anything suspicious would it be appropriate to roll to notice and/or identify the sound of a gunshot over the sound of the movie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Sure there were two gunshots and the weren't too far away I would call it an average test obviously hearing only on the perception at this point but any at the movie can make the test Giselle, Eleanor, or Vincent. I think it might be a few turns before the chaos is within the mall.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright cool, so Perception + Notice: (1d10+5)[4](4) So 9 total, looks like.
    Last edited by Bowerbird; 2023-11-07 at 10:14 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Would that Fear check just be 1d10+Willpower?
    Here are the relevant rules for that.
    Page 96 "When facing a fearsome creature or otherwise experiencing fright first-hand, Norms and Survivors
    must pass a Difficult Willpower Test."

Page 91 "Difficult Tests are more challenging; lifting something with only one hand, for example, makes for a
    Difficult Strength Test. In those cases, only the value of the Attribute involved (do not double it) is added."

So I you are correct roll 1d10 add Willpower (2 in your case). Result > 9 Katy overcomes the fearful moment.

Less than a 9 is a failure but unless this (1d10)[10] - Katy's Willpower (2) is > 8 she'll just freeze or run in panic this next turn. If the above roll is a ten add this (1d10-5)[-4] to the total. And then we consult the fear table which is all sorts of bad stuff. Wow that rule of 10 roll was awful. This close to fear table on a failure but Katy will just freeze or run if you fail the fear test.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bowerbird View Post
    Alright cool, so Perception + Notice: [roll0] So 9 total, looks like.
    Ok Vincent heard a faint echo of gunshots. Was it from a videogame or in the movie with a 9 (lowest level of success) he isn't quite sure but he heard something and it didn't make sense in the movie.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

ugh sorry for the multiple posts in a row just keep seeing things I need to react to.
    Spoiler: Dodge Check
    Show
    [roll0] – includes Dexterity and nothing else. If there are relevant Skills, Qualities or whatever else I should be adding to Katy’s roll, let me know!
    Well this dodge is enough to beat the attack so we'll let it stand at just that. I posted that a Dodge/Dex check was required. If you don't have Dodge just Dex works. I think Katy has her flagpole if so we ruled that it qualifies as a staff. You could alternatively use the Parry rule instead of dodge. In that case you would be using the flagpole to ward off the zombie and get to add your +2 from staff skill to your Dex. I can't remember if you brought the flagpole with you or not.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok Vincent heard a faint echo of gunshots. Was it from a videogame or in the movie with a 9 (lowest level of success) he isn't quite sure but he heard something and it didn't make sense in the movie.
    *Eleanor. I'd say given how she was already worried, that's probably enough for her to get up to go check things out, but not conclusive enough to start freaking out.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay then.

Willpower to avoid fleeing: (1d10+2)[6]

Well this dodge is enough to beat the attack so we'll let it stand at just that. I posted that a Dodge/Dex check was required. If you don't have Dodge just Dex works. I think Katy has her flagpole if so we ruled that it qualifies as a staff. You could alternatively use the Parry rule instead of dodge. In that case you would be using the flagpole to ward off the zombie and get to add your +2 from staff skill to your Dex. I can't remember if you brought the flagpole with you or not.
    Katy does not have Dodge. Yes she brought the flagpole, I was using it for fluff on the roll. I’ll keep Parry in mind next time this comes up.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bowerbird View Post
    *Eleanor. I'd say given how she was already worried, that's probably enough for her to get up to go check things out, but not conclusive enough to start freaking out.
    Apologies got the PC mixed up. Yeah that makes sense. It would take about 10 turns to walk to the front doors but if you sprinted there you could probably make it 4 turns but I'd ask for a Constitution test to sprint there taking D4 Endurance points on a failure.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

I can’t edit the previous post without mucking up the roll, but I believe that’s a fail. Katy flees or is this fear table territory?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I can’t edit the previous post without mucking up the roll, but I believe that’s a fail. Katy flees or is this fear table territory?
    FYI you can edit a post with a roll in it just don't make any further rolls or delete rolls, but editing to add text is fine. Yes with that result Katy either freezes for a round or runs away your call. I rolled my d10 for fear table and just missed getting something I got an 8 (10-2) which is not enough to impose any other bad stuff.