New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Fall in the Mall 1987 - AFMBE OOC

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    my plan is to head to the local hunting store, you know the one that always has rifles in the window, and get inside to kit up
    Ok but that mall is closed and that store has the metal shutters down to prevent theft of aforementioned rifles.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Vincent might be able to help with lockpicking, but he's probably not so convinced that it's time for theft and murder.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

I imagine silus is the quiet kid who nobody really messes with unless you want him to cause a columbine 12 years early
    I have… SO many questions. His father was on the Gulag? How? When? Are they from Eastern Europe? How old is he, to have been old enough to kick doors open when his father came back? Is he good at something society values? Sports, perhaps? Or how did he end up in the mall? Sneaked in (no shame to it, Manny would add) and looked weird enough that nobody noticed?

Quote Originally Posted by LarsWester View Post
    Yep no problem with the boots and if you threw the would be improvised thrown weapons.
    I love that menatal image.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinro View Post
    Vincent might be able to help with lockpicking,
    Curiously enough, Giselle could probably help with helping with that. She has Mechanic trained!

but he's probably not so convinced that it's time for theft and murder.
    I'm sure Mendoza felt the same way. Felt. Before she was murdered by dead people and all that. (But yeah, full-on shooting spree's not exactly warranted thus far.)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

From my perspective, we should go on full alert, of course, but from Vincent, a classmate has run in yelling about blood, which might be a joke or overreaction, and one teacher is worried about something. Not quite 'society has fallen into chaos, we must fend for ourselves' level yet.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by Kinro View Post
    From my perspective, we should go on full alert, of course, but from Vincent, a classmate has run in yelling about blood, which might be a joke or overreaction, and one teacher is worried about something. Not quite 'society has fallen into chaos, we must fend for ourselves' level yet.
    Well, as Giselle's own comment on the issue should attest, she is absolutely certain this is a "who let Katy near fake blood again" issue rathe than "a world's ending, they are EATING people" issue, so yeah. I suppose Silus is just a "Violence? Finally!" kind of weirdo.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Ok but that mall is closed and that store has the metal shutters down to prevent theft of aforementioned rifles.
    completely understandable. americans hate having their property stolen

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

oki, several things. i was aiming for the door, not the metal shutters. get inside the door, and the steel can be bypassed. if there is metal shutters over the door, then thats interesting

that is all senor ZM
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-11-14 at 01:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

oki, several things. i was aiming for the door, not the metal shutters. get inside the door, and the steel can be bypassed. if there is metal shutters over the door, then thats interesting

that is all senor ZM
    This is probably what he has in mind. Or the come down from the top kind, but yeah they cover the entire storefront and are really difficult to bypass without the key to unlock and roll them up.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    This is probably what he has in mind. Or the come down from the top kind, but yeah they cover the entire storefront and are really difficult to bypass without the key to unlock and roll them up.
    oki, interesting. if i had known that, i wouldnt have fugging kicked it

if you dont know, i dont get out much

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Pretty sure any store with firearms would be protected by something like
    I thought you were saying Pops from the Secret Ops taught you a trick for this particular thing.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Well, as Giselle's own comment on the issue should attest, she is absolutely certain this is a "who let Katy near fake blood again" issue rathe than "a world's ending, they are EATING people" issue, so yeah. I suppose Silus is just a "Violence? Finally!" kind of weirdo.
    I think that Bramblefoot made a Prepper High School version - trench-coat wearing definitely weirdo kid. Students received invitations either due to high grades or a teacher recommendation. If your intelligence + willpower equaled less than 5 your invite was probably due to a teacher recommendation.

As it stands Silus ran off and started kicking at the metal barrier to the Sportsman's store which has some hunting rifles and ammunition. To catch Bramblefoot up we have kinda been doing a slow boil bit to get to the action. No one is really aware that there are dead people walking around eating people yet. Going to be a bit obvious once Principal Klander and John return with the news of what happened to Mendoza. The city outside has gone a bit nuts but the teens inside the mall are in media outage no one has cellphones and there are no TVs or radios on at the time. I just want to paint the in-character picture a bit better and why some of the players are mentioning it maybe not yet being time to loot and shoot. As for in character posts I'm interested in John's reaction to Mendoza going down. And everyone else's reaction to Silus kicking at the steel barrier.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Pretty sure any store with firearms would be protected by something like
    I thought you were saying Pops from the Secret Ops taught you a trick for this particular thing.
    my issue with my brain is i dont think before i post silly me

the trick is that most of these grates have a few screws that hold it together. take em out, and the grate collapses, or at the least is weakened

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Going to be a bit obvious once Principal Klander and John return with the news of what happened to Mendoza.
    Shouldn’t Rebecca be able to back Katy up, at least insofar as she’s not panicking over nothing? She left the fight before Katy did.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

oki, lemme get this straight. were waiting to see what goes on?

im just trying to get a feel for this

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

my issue with my brain is i dont think before i post silly me

the trick is that most of these grates have a few screws that hold it together. take em out, and the grate collapses, or at the least is weakened
    So these types of security doors that close off the door and window front of stores are closed or opened from the inside of the store. There is usually a back door that is accessible through a normal lock and deadbolt that is available through a service hallway of the mall. You would need to have a key to access the back hallway of the mall and then a key for the back door of the store. From the front end a steel cutting tool could be used or a some vehicle could crash through it probably totaling the vehicle in the process.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

oki, lemme get this straight. were waiting to see what goes on?

im just trying to get a feel for this
    Yes. Everyone except for John and Katy and a few NPCs have no first hand knowledge of what's going on. Even those people don't know what's really going on. They know they were attacked by people that were bloody and violent (working intel is that there were protests occurring all over the city over a police shooting). That the people didn't respond to gun shot wounds to the chest (working assumption their on drugs). That they seemed to be interested in biting those they attacked. (no explanation comes to mind maybe drugs again). The city's police have switched to an encrypted channel that the two police assigned to event security handheld radios don't pick up. The officers were in the dark for a long time but know that things are going really bad in the city. The first signs of trouble at the mall occurred about 30 seconds ago.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Shouldn’t Rebecca be able to back Katy up, at least insofar as she’s not panicking over nothing? She left the fight before Katy did.
    That is, of course, correct, but, y'know, come on! Let poor Giselle be smug about it before she realizes she is the slowest person on the roster.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, a bunch of kids were having a movie marathon in the food court, which got interrupted by the sound of gunfire (maybe?) and someone running up screaming. One teacher's directing everyone to stay calm and move off to the side, with some assistance from my Student Council rep, the rest are largely in the dark so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    That is, of course, correct, but, y'know, come on! Let poor Giselle be smug about it before she realizes she is the slowest person on the roster.
    Giselle is fine, I just want to throw Rebecca under the bus too make sure 'Becca doesn't get left out of the upcoming 'young lady this is not the sort of thing you joke about' lecture.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

personally, im gonna play up silus' paranoia a little. hes a country boy, and he knows when SHTF. the first sign is when the teacher says there is nothing to worry about. thats when you start worrying cause when they say theres nothing wrong, thats when something is terribly wrong
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-11-14 at 05:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Anyone suspicious of the story that Klander is selling can roll a Perception + Questioning check versus Principal Klander Smooth Talking (1d10+6)[8] to see that there's signs she is hiding something.

John is going behind the scenes to the mall's security office so he'll be doing his own thing for a few in-game minutes.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

personally, im gonna play up silus' paranoia a little. hes a country boy, and he knows when SHTF. the first sign is when the teacher says there is nothing to worry about. thats when you start worrying cause when they say theres nothing wrong, thats when something is terribly wrong
    Like a police officer getting chewed on outside the front door.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Like a police officer getting chewed on outside the front door.
    correct! ten points to the ZM!

flat perception roll to poke holes in klanders story
    (1d10+2)[6]

can my paranoia grant a +2 to that roll, or is that not allowed?
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-11-14 at 05:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

rolling to see how many tens i get extra on my arsenal check

(3d10)[10][7][5](22)

senor ZM, a 31 on silus's weapon searching
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-11-14 at 05:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone suspicious of the story that Klander is selling can roll a Perception + Questioning check versus Principal Klander Smooth Talking [roll0] to see that there's signs she is hiding something.
    Does Katy get any bonuses, seeing as she overheard 'chaos in the streets' earlier...and also was almost eaten?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Does Katy get any bonuses, seeing as she overheard 'chaos in the streets' earlier...and also was almost eaten?
    I mean Katy saw what she saw. She knows the Prinicpal isnt tellling the whole story. Now if she wanted to convince others of it that would take a different skill.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean Katy saw what she saw. She knows the Prinicpal isnt tellling the whole story. Now if she wanted to convince others of it that would take a different skill.
    Okay cool, I’ll skip the Questioning roll then. Now I just need to get away from Ms. Clyde…
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Gonna roll for Eleanor's Questioning check: (1d10+4)[8]

Interesting, who wins in the event of a tie like that?
    Last edited by Bowerbird; 2023-11-15 at 08:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Well I did a bit of reading of the rulebook and came across something that says I've been ruling something wrong per the rules on page 92.
    "Resisted tasks or tests use the same basic rule mentioned above. Both sides in the contest get to roll and add the appropriate Attribute or skill. If both fail (no one rolls over 9), neither side accomplishes the effect desired. If one fails and the other succeeds, the successful character prevails. If both succeed, the results are then compared, and the higher total result after adding and subtracting all modifiers, is the winner of the contest."
    The bolded part is where I was playing things wrong. For example if a zombie attacked with an 8 but the defensive roll was a 5 I said that was a hit. I leave it to a players vote if we want to continue with contested rolls being decided by the higher result or if there is a mutual failure if neither roll beats a 9. I think I prefer it the way I've played it as 9 is actually a high bar on a d10+X. As for ties the only mention for this is during close combat which is a resisted task ties go to the defender. So I'm going to extrapolate that and say in this case the Principal is defending against your perception roll so wins the tie. But I think we can say that Eleanor is not totally convinced.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

rolling to see how many tens i get extra on my arsenal check

[roll0]

senor ZM, a 31 on silus's weapon searching
    That's an amazing roll. I'm trying to think of what reasonable reward can be given here. The setting is a closed down mall with a bunch of teens in it. I think I may just post describing the setting and letting you decide what is going to be your improvised weapon from your setting. Now with a 31 you are going to notice more details than you would with a lower roll but still going to leave it up to your imagination as to what in the normal setting of a mall food court Silus is going to decide to make his weapon. Silus is a weird kid hopefully he can find something in that description.