New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fall in the Mall 1987 - AFMBE IC

Just that they’re trying to get information and keep everyone calm,” Katy replied, but strained her ears to try and hear if there was anything else of interest.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d10+6)[8]

Includes Notice, Perception and Acute Hearing.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wow. That just made me super calm, all of a sudden. Giselle snarks, her arms still folded. Are they coming this way?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Just that they’re trying to get information and keep everyone calm,” Katy replied, but strained her ears to try and hear if there was anything else of interest.

Show
    [roll0]

The general buzz of the growing panic among the teens on the first floor picks up in volume and Katy can't discern any further conversation from above. She does notice that the nearby elevator light seems to indicate that the elevator has been called up to the 2nd floor requiring an answer to if the group wants to hang around to encounter whoever might be coming down or move on to somewhere else.

Meanwhile on the second floor Josh has taken to falling a few steps behind Silus. A few times he has exchanged concerned looks with Eleanor at the outsider's turn of phrase. Almost every store, except for Mr. Maxwell's Babbages, was shuttered for the evening. Silus tried any store that just had a door and found them locked. After a few minutes walk the trio turned right heading down a hallway lined with stores on both sides. At the end of the hallway was the Northwest entrance to the mall with it's bay of automatic sliding doors and double doors on either side. Outside those doors was a small vestibule and then another set of doors. Normally looking out of these doors would provide a view of Columbia South Carolina's skyline. There was an orange haze over much of the city.
    Spoiler: Simple Intelligence check at -2
    Show
    The city of Columbia is on fire at several locations. Nothing close by or immediately threatening to your location.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

I can’t tell,” Katy responded honestly, “It’s too noisy now. We should probably get moving anyway though,” she glanced at the elevator lights coming down, “before any of the teachers realize we split up from our group.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155

So much for her smoke break! Like it's our fault we got stuck with the creep. Or that the creep got himself unstuck. Giselle grumps, not in any sort of hurry to go anywhere. There's four of us and three of them anyway. I say they split.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

silus scans the outside "seems like theres a couple fires spreading." he smiles "i guess this really is the end of days" he looks back at eleanor "you might as well offer an ave maria, cause this could be the end" he crosses himself, and will move to continue checking areas

play it cautious silus, and feed the annoying girl to the freaks at the first chance he thinks
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2024-01-19 at 08:31 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

I say we just hide in the bathroom and wait for them to leave, so then we don’t have to say anything to anyone,” and with that Katy started pulling the other girl in that direction. Really, you’d think she wasn’t regularly sneaking around to obtain smokes…And then we can just catch up with the others once the coast is clear.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Eleanor moves to where she can look out through the doors, but keep Silus in her peripheral vision, before deadpanning, "Yes, Silus, the protesters have mastered man's red flower. Well done. Utterly terrifying. Shaking in my boots." She does spare a concerned thought for her mother, working at the hospital during all this, hopefully it looks worse than it is. Maybe I should have stayed home and looked after the place? Not much worth stealing anyway, I suppose. She glances over at Josh to make sure he's not freaking out, before finally having a proper look around out at the city.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception + Notice check to pick up any extra details outside? 1d10+5
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

9. - Top - End - #159

Ffiine! Giselle relents with altogether way too much generosity mixed into the tone of her voice, as though she were doing Katy a favour. Move along, guys. she adds for the benefit of the other two, with the same amount of grace and indulgence as she lets Katy drag her onwards. And it's not like she has no reason to be in such a giving mood. Maybe smoke break is back on the menu, after all.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

As Silus moves away from the mall's doors Josh stammers. Uh shouldn't we like check the doors here first. I mean we came all this way. I mean this was your idea, Silus, I think you should do it. he looks at Eleanor for help.

Back at the Eastern end of the mall on the first floor Rebecca follows Katy and Giselle into the ladies' room leaving Vincent there standing by himself when the elevator chimes that the doors have arrived on the first floor. If he wanted to dart into the men's room he had only a few seconds to do so before the doors opened.

Upstairs John Wilson had located the remaining police officer on the first floor. He signaled to him and then the stairs in the middle of the mall. From his second floor perch the mall cop could see huddled groups of scared kids on the first floor. Whether Principal Klander wanted it or not the fun times of the evening were over. His job was just to keep as many of these kids safe through the night as he could. The job hadn't changed only the mission parameters.

11. - Top - End - #161

Giselle begins idly ambling towards the far end of the bathroom, sniffing the air. If some residual smoke was already there, that would make her life so much easier… She wouldn't even have to lie if she'll ever have to say so! Hopefully, Klander will march past fast too. Then, she'll easily press Katy into playing lookout for her. She's really hell-bent on sticking together, after all, and filing in here was her idea.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Notice: (1d10+6)[11], incl. Situational Awareness; add +2 for detecting smells (Acute Smell)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Katy just hung around the sinks, so she could turn one on and pretend to wash her hands if the door opened, and in the mean time strained to listen for the voices of any authority figures outside.

Show
    (1d10+6)[9]

Show

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

silus will give the door handle leading outside a rattle. "seems secure, but this aint gonna hold if some hick decides to shoot his way in" he shrugs. "personally, id say this area is condition green. keep moving, and keep your heads on a swivel."

he'll keep moving towards the next one cant slip the busybody yet, so play it cool. eventually something's gonna go tits up, and then you dispose of her
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2024-01-26 at 11:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Giselle smiled when her acutely tuned nose picked up traces of smoke. Manny had been having a profitable night it would seem. However she didn't have a chance to take advantage of the cover by lighting up her own cigarette as soon Principal Klanders entered the ladies room. She had under the crook of her arm a boombox style radio. She quickly located an electrical outlet near the door and plugged it in. As she did so she finally realized that she wasn't alone in the restroom and turned to the three girls as the radio blasted static. Ladies you have a choice. You can stay in here and finish your business but keep your mouths shut about anything you might hear or leave now. In fact you should probably leave now. Principal Klander is wearing her most authoritative face right now but Gisselle could swear that her eyes look like they had just been crying.
    Show
    Someone roll a social skill check of your choice to convince the Principal to let you stay.

Upstairs the mall exterior door rattled as Silus gave them a shake. The sound drew the attention of something outside as vague shadows turned and moved towards the entrance.
    Show
    Perception checks for Eleanor and Silus please visual only

15. - Top - End - #165

When Klander barges in, right in time to interrupt her moment of triumph, Giselle begins internally screaming and throws in a quite external grimcae for good measure, if only for so long as her back is turned to the principal. By the time she swivels around, it's all gone. Of course. Model citizen and all that.

Still, if her innermost cravings cannot be satisfied, she might as well milk that option left hanging mid-air for all its worth and satisfy some of her curiosity instead, Katy's overly sensitive sensitivities be damned. She shuffles closer, with a clumsiness all feigned and a practiced, timid smile of sorts, the very image of clueless understanding. It's okay, Ms. Klander. We're all in this. she say like the responsible adult she totally is.

Show

Smooth Talking: (1d10+9)[11] (incl. Attractiveness +2 and Charisma +1)

16. - Top - End - #166
    Barbarian in the Playground

Vincent hadn't felt any particular need to avoid the person coming down from the elevator. He'd had, after all, a perfect excuse for being alone, his group being in the washroom at the time.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

silus grunts, and looks out the window kark he internally thinks. "well lady and gentleman, i suggest we beat a swift retreat somewhere else, before whatever is out there wants to come in"

internally hes thinking discretion is the better part of valor, and right now im feeling very cautious

he says "let me say we have swapped rapidly from condition green to condition red"
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2024-01-26 at 11:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Katy just nodded agreement with Giselle, and grabbed a piece of paper towel to dry the hands she’d shoved under the spigot when the Principle had come in.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    It's okay, Ms. Klander. We're all in this.
    Principal Klander offered a weak smile back at the girls. Right you are there. Okay girls not sure what we are going to hear but I ask you don't go spreading any of this around. People might panic and get hurt. with that she plugged in the radio and turned through static until reaching a AM station that was broadcasting news. ... preserve us and keep us safe through this times. through sobs the normal traffic announcer continues. Listeners I am witnessing from high above the city what can best be described as bedlam and chaos. Multiple fires have broken out throughout Columbia. There is frequent flashes of gun fire below me. Multiple police cars responding to multiple incidences throughout the city. If you can please stay at home the roads are generally impassable at this point. Too much remains unknown at this time however reports have been coming forward that there seems to be some form of transmissible contagion through the populace resulting in ultraviolet reactions and superhuman durability. I have heard from headquarters that the South Carolina National Guard has been given orders to mobilize from Olympia Armory. The United States Army has not been authorized to use force against civilians and remains within the boundaries of Fort Jackson. Stay safe and indoors if possible. We plan to stay above the fray and continue to update you as long as we have fuel and AM1560 is transmitting.
    The look of horror on Principal Klanders face is in stark contrast to her calm voice. Right nothings changed. It's best for all of us to stay indoors and wait for the National Guard to sort this all out. Point is that the authorities are moving on it and we just need to trust that they have everything in hand. Principal Klander sniffs back some tears before asking Giselle quite pointedly Is that cigarette smoke I smell?

Vincent outside the ladies room overhears the radio report.

20. - Top - End - #170

Giselle's mouth falls open slightly as she follows the news report, mostly forgetting even to blink. If Manny did leave that ****ing door open, she'll strangle him with extreme prejudice. And then there's the Swamp Thing, messing with all those other doors and geez, they'll have to rescue poor Josh now, somehow!

Klander's sudden meddlesome non sequitur does shake her out of that stupor. What? she asks flatly. Sorry, I mean, um, your pardon, Ms. Klander? the principal gets a properly stumped blink from a properly stumped young lady. I think I smelled something back there, yes… Did they say there's people shooting out there? With, uh, with guns? she motions towards the radio. The safety of her hide notwithstanding, that's bad.

Show

Smooth Talking, to keep Klander on topic, damnit: (1d20+9)[16] (as above)

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post

Show

Smooth Talking, to keep Klander on topic, damnit: [roll0] (as above)
    AFMBE is D10 based not D20.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Katy looked increasingly wide-eyed as the broadcast went on. “Yes, I heard it too! Gunfire and – and something about a disease? A – a contagion? And they’re sending the National Guard.” Katy tried to remember if they covered what the National Guard did that was different from the army but there was a loud thought in her head going WHAT ABOUT OUR PARENTS?!! that was very thoroughly drowning it out, just now.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Principal Klander switches focus from the smell of cigarette smoke to address the girls' fearful questions.
    Please Katy try to remain calm. As the radio said the authorities are responding the National Guard will be here soon. They always get sent on missions like this during natural disasters and the such. They will restore order to the city in no time. In the meantime you heard and know just as much as I do. Can you girls do something for me. Keep listening to this radio and if you get an update you think I should know come find me. I need to go share what we just heard with the other chaperones.
    Principal Klander then leaves the bathroom and nods to Vincent waiting outside by the water fountain.
    Keep an eye on those girls Vincent. Things might get a little dangerous tonight.
    And the Principal walks off looking for the other teachers and adults among the children.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Katy was still looking a little bug-eyed at the moment, but her response was immediate (if jittery). “Yeah. Yeah we can do that, Ms. Klander. Where do we find you at? If we hear something.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175

You can… Giselle has to clear her throat. The hit her confidence has taken is big enough to surprise even her. You can count on us, Ms. Klander. Yes. She raises a tentative arm to put around Katy's shoulder in a show of being the all-grown-up little sun radiating comfort all around, but drops it down immediately. An actual hit to the face again is the last thing she needs right now, Katy's stupid questions being a close second. Like hell she's going to go anywhere from here now, unless the ground starts shaking or something.

Once the principal's out of the picture, her first priorities get the limelight as well. Katy, watch that thing, she points a nervous thumb towards the radio Becca, you watch that door for me, will you. Giselle sighs, covering her face with both palms for a moment. I'mma need a ****ing smoke now, and for real need it. Klander's already felt the smoke. Plausible deniability and all that. It's not like she can do much else.

26. - Top - End - #176

"Alright, I'll... I'll do my best," Vincent said. He had caught most of what had been said in the washroom. They hadn't been particularly quiet, after all. And he was now wondering what was going on. This didn't seem like mere protesting or looting. Clearly, something bad was happening out there. "We were going around, checking the doors. Or, at least, we were planning to. A lot of us don't feel rigjt, just sitting there and waiting for things to happen."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Principal Klander nods wordlessly at Vincent before heading off to find the other adults. Soon after her departure Rebecca comes out of the bathroom and sees Vincent standing by the water fountain. She turns for a second to head back into the bathroom before turning around slowly and taking up a position against the wall a few feet from Vincent. Giselle asked me to stand guard out her while she smokes. Did you hear everything out here? It sounds really bad Vince. it looks like the girl is about to cry.
    When suddenly a shout rings out over the general buzz of the mall foyer.
    RUN!!! Manny cries from across the mall. He and one of his lackeys shoving the side door to Sears furiously. The two boys turning to race down the hallway at the South end of the mall towards the food court and bathrooms at the North end.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Katy just nodded and sat down next to the radio to listen, wrinkling her nose at the smell.

Show

Trying to see if Katy can hear any of that since we're in the bathroom with the radio on:
    (1d10+6)[15]

Show

29. - Top - End - #179

Giselle leans back against the wall inside one of the farter stalls, willfully ignoring how dirty it may or may not be, and slides a cigarette into her mouth. She really, really, really does need it. This is all so stupid. She was just supposed to have boring chill time here. Her lighter clicks and clicks, throwing sparks before igniting properly. Might be low on gas. Just what she wanted in her life right now. A puff of smoke is blown out, then another. There's some muffle dnoises somewhere in the background, but she just doesn't care to care. How much worse could this get, anyhow?

30. - Top - End - #180

Vincent was glad that Rebecca came to him for her troubles, at least, though not so much about the circumstances. "I'm sure it will be alright. Sounds bad, but... we'll be safe here," he said, though he wasn't sure if he believed it entirely. Expecially when the call came from Many. "Get theothers," he told Rebecca quickly. "It sounds like something bad's happening. No time to be smoking."