New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing: 9 Years since the Last Dragon Age

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Space Marine is very much built around both very rapidly switching between melee and ranged combat, and tanking damage through murdering orcs right in their stupid faces. It takes some getting used to, but once you work out the rhythm, and find a couple power weapons, you turn into an absolute blender of death. The closest thing to it is either Doom 2016, or possibly Bloodrayne 2, but honestly for simple mayhem unleashed it probably outdoes them both.
    It actually feels ahead of it's time to me, like it's not a Boomer Shooter but it kind of focuses on the same sort of things to help it stand out of the crowd. Maybe it's an arena shooter like Doom 2016, and certainly it's best moments ard in arenas where you can smoothly transition from Bolter to chainswords and back smoothly as the situation demands it.

It makes me very angry at GW trying to make regular Space Marines less cool to try and flog people armies of Primaris. I'm even slightly annoyed that the sequel has felt the need to make Titus into a Primaris, when the game is very good at showcasing how the regular Marines are already gods amongst men.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In an infinite sea of new and interesting games, BG3 hit my nostalgia center, and now I am playing Baldur's Gate EE again.
    Also, cutting it with Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma, but that is not at all Dragon Age related.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've started playing around in My time at Sandrock. So far it's largely the same as it's predecessor, though water is an important resource this time around and I'm expected to sometimes dust off my machines lest they become less efficient. I hope later on there will be some way to render the dust issue moot, because I'm not looking forward to routinely having to go by all my machines to dust them off just to avoid their efficiency getting halved. At first glance I'd say that's just pointless busywork meant to keep the player busy.

As for the town itself, I believe I have arrived in the aftermath of some sort of coup d'etat! I have identified the Church of Light as the true power, specifically Burgess as he controls the water supply. Then there's also Matilda, another Church of Light member, who is filling in for the mayor who is 'out in the desert planting trees'. Uh-huh. I bet their corpse is out in the desert somewhere alright, serving as fertilizer for some plant growth. At some point I'll either have to wrest control of the water supply away from Burgess or find an alternative. Finding evidence of the mayor's fate may help dislodge Matilda from her position as de-facto mayor, but probably won't be enough by itself. There may be some kind of secret police here too as Burgess had me fill out a survey to check my disposition towards their rule and spied on me when I chopped down a tree too close to the town.

My first priority should be to take the commerce guild from Yan and establish my own powerbase. I believe Catori and Mi-an would make suitable allies. If I can help Catori with setting up her entertainment hub it could be a useful part of said powerbase. Mi-an as the other builder who recently arrived is an obvious choice to help me remove Yan. Hm, I should probably marry either Mi-an or Catori at some point to finalize our union.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

As part of the Obligatory Steam Sale(TM), one of my buys was to finally pick up Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only gotten to play it a little bit so far (maybe 2 hours), but it has been an interesting go so far. Glad to see a very different take on the amnesiac PC (particularly after having recently played Disco Elysium). Being a newborn adult, who's body was recently vacated by a deity of some sort, makes for a wild start. Particularly when you run into a cult of your body's previous occupant. Has a lovely mis-mash of sci-fi and fantasy trappings going on as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

I really enjoyed Space Marine. It was exactly what it was supposed to be.

Tried Baldur's Gate 2 again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last time, I gave up at the dragon, this time I got through it and am now in hell. My lead is a Paladin, and has held on to his virtue so far, but you wear one cloak made of nymphskin, and that's too far. My party is level 13/14, and I'm not sure I can take the Elder Orbs in a fight.

I will give the devs credit, three of the encounters were easy to talk my way around, and you can usually get around , but this is legit a tough choice.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Back to Wrath of the Righteous, with definitely no save scumming to kill that darned dragon. Mostly in holding until Rogue Trader comes out, WotR is in no way bad but Pathfinder doesn't hit the nostalgia sweet spot for me like Warhammer (Fantasy Battles or 40k) does.

Also squeezing in the occasional Dawn of War 2: Retribution mission, because even if the first two stories are good this really isn't the kind of game which should have starred Space Marines. Military campaigns are the province of the Guard, whereas Space Marines perform occasional high value strike missions two systems over because there's less than one of them for every million worlds in the Imperium. One of the minor aspects of Space Marine I like is that, at least in the parts I've played, the tasks you're doing are pretty much about removing what's stopping the Guard from deploying.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Wrapped up a pretty tense Age of Wonders 4 game this morning. I was going for a Seals victory, and ended up at war with everyone on the map. That, plus the genuinely terrifying stacks spawning in to attack my seals was causing the utter disintegration of my empire.

But it held together just long enough to clinch a win. That, and an extremely cheesy victory where the AI sent a T3 Iron Golem to grab a Seal from my T1 skirmisher unit. My wimpy little guy should have ended up a smear on the golem's boot, but I had a spell that summoned a pillar that itself summoned a random animal every turn, and enough mana to cast it twice. So I buried the golem in crows, spiders, and irate piglets.

I then briefly considered playing something else. Instead I started another AoW 4 game as a bunch of lightning obsessed, magic addicted cat people.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    As part of the Obligatory Steam Sale(TM), one of my buys was to finally pick up Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only gotten to play it a little bit so far (maybe 2 hours), but it has been an interesting go so far. Glad to see a very different take on the amnesiac PC (particularly after having recently played Disco Elysium). Being a newborn adult, who's body was recently vacated by a deity of some sort, makes for a wild start. Particularly when you run into a cult of your body's previous occupant. Has a lovely mis-mash of sci-fi and fantasy trappings going on as well.
    Numenera is pretty slept on IMO. It dared to do a few things different than other classic RPGs and thus got crapped on, but it's a pretty solid title.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Spend the last month or so with two games:

1) Lost Eidolons
    A turn-based tactics game with a strong narrative focus. A suprise hit for me. I tried it out earlier this year and didn't like anything I saw. But at that time I was really craving for a classic fantasy RPG and Lost Eidolons is just something very different. The writing reminded me of (bad) fan-fiction early on, but I got really invested in the plot and characters over time. Especially the characters.
    This investment paid off: only then the loss of a character really hits you.
    The game's main gameplay are, of course, the tactical battles. Each (main) scenario has something unique going on for it. In side battles there is some repetition but not much: there are about 5 maps and maybe 15 side battles in total. It is also not an easy game. I played on Normal difficulty with Limited Turns and Maniac options enabled. Maniac is some sort of "Iron Man": with that option enabled should one of you characters fall in battles they are gone for good. They still appear in cutscenes and the camp, but they are effectively no longer fit for battle. For me having this options enabled meant that I had to find a way to victory without losing any units. For me the level of difficulty was really spot on, always fair and never tedious. I managed to beat all battles in the first attempt but it took quite some effort. Especially in the last third of the game it took me often several hours to complete a single battle. On Hard I think it is expected that you use your knowledge of the scenario and build your unit composition for the battle with that knowledge in mind.
    The game is strongly on the deterministic side: there is no "to-hit", units deal a fixed amount of damage which is in turn reduced by the targets armor. There is a chance to crit (dealing more damage), and a separate chance for the target to block (reducing the damage). None of these chances are typically very high, sometimes even zero.
    Thus the game focuses on strategy and on the tactical optimization puzzle. Personally I really liked how the game plays.
    From my post-game research Lost Eidolons main inspiration is the Fire Emblem series. I'm not familiar with Fire Emblem so I can't comment on how it compares.
    All in all I can easily recommend Lost Eidolons

2) Scars Above
    A third-person shooter/sci-fi action adventure. The game was obviously made on a budget but high on ambitions. It is limited in scope and a bit rough on the edges. I found it nonetheless quite enjoyable.
    The characters fell flat for me, but the overall plot narrative was ok.
    The level design has it strong points and otherwise ranges between serviceable and good.
    The gameplay focuses on learning the various enemies weaknesses and then exploiting them. This game really rewards you for using the right tool/strategy for the job. You can kill everything with every weapon, never pay attention to weak points or the environment, but doing so is incredible inefficient.
    The game also does not overstay its welcome: Steam clocked in 30 hours for me and I'm a slow player.
    I would not blindly recommend Scars Above. To me it was a nice and short filler/palette cleanser game, something to play after a hard day of work.

Next up is Inscryption.
    I know almost nothing about this game. It landed in my wishlist because of a recommendation as a good horror game.
    Well, lets see what this game has in store...

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

I really want to hear the reactions from someone going into Inscryption unspoiled!

Speaking of experiences that are better unspoiled, I just beat Sea of Stars.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The final sequence felt like there was a lot missing, with plenty of plot threads going unresolved. Then I did the thing that had only become available after the final battle, and damn... what started from there turned out to include just about every dangling plot thread and named character I'd encountered over the course of the entire game. Complete with a clear tribute to Chrono Trigger that gave me one of the things I'd hoped for the most during the entire story!

Honestly, the path to the true ending was so stupidly good at hitting on all the plot points that had been introduced that I was shocked at the fact I could think of one character who'd been left out. If you're wondering, that was the Matriarch. I thought the last surviving primal spirit would show up more than once in the game, especially since everyone else did, but oh well.

Sea of Stars immediately jumps right near the top of the list of best JRPGs I've ever played. Not just because the storytelling was excellent, but also because it did something I'd never imagined in all my years playing the genre: It made me want more of the combat. Usually the most fun ability you can get in a JRPG is Encounter-None, but SoS was a massive exception.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

11. - Top - End - #461
    Colossus in the Playground

I got Inscryption on sale recently too, but I'm finishing Phantom Liberty first, and then probably play Acts II+III of Baldur's Gate.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I still need to finish The Hex and Pony Island. My lack of skill at shoot-em-ups is coming into play in my progression.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

So I've discovered that after a little while Dawn of War 2: Retribution starts encouraging me to leave my high status commanders back at camp so I can bring some high tier units more guardsmen to the field. It's a nice touch when you consider how the guard memetically operates.

Also any time the campaign sets a battle near a HQ building the sheer speed with which you can bring in new squads of guardsmen becomes hilarious. While I'm sure it won't work in MP the campaign gives you enough Requisition to just drown the enemy in lasgun fire.

Yes I've unlocked other units, and I quite like Sentinels to provide fire support, but until I get Leman Russes nothing is going to feel as practical as just taking more squads of Guardsmen and backing them up with heavy weapons teams.

Show

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Once again, I had to lower the difficulty setting for the final boss of Baldur's Gate 2. I was a Paladin with an excellent reputation, but I had to use Slayer Mode too many times, and ended up succeeding but at the cost of Falling and losing my reputation. So I am now a despised Fallen Paladin and have to work my way back up through Throne of Bhaal.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

My brother accidentally got me into Josh Strife Hayes's YouTube videos and I ended up with MMO nostalgia. However I decided I wasn't interested in going back to WoW or anything similar because I already own a lot of fantasy games, so I ended up downloading Champions Online.

The restriction to only 10 of the archetypes without paying money is annoying, but as I'm planning to avoid the cash shop I knuckled down and spent weeks deciding between my favourite two of the unlocked ones. Mostly because I was having trouble coming up with a backstory. Eventually I settled on a brick in a tank top, cargo shorts, trainers, a domino mask, and a scarf and finally got playing.

It's... good. Like the tutorial is great, the quest lines mostly devolve into 'beat up X thugs' but that works for a superhero game. Despite technically being a tank my damage is not terrible and I get multiple damage mitigation options as I level, and the world map is clearly designed for superpowers (mainly Flight, but I picked Athletics and there's plenty of shortcuts with my enhanced jump). I can see how it could devolve into a grindfest or pay to win, but it's not so far and even the 'limited' free character creator has a bunch of options. Plus I'm getting a silky smooth frame rate and very little lag, the main issue I'm having is with the tab auto target and I think I can just start using the mouse anyway. It's definitely not the best MMO out there but it's perfectly fun.

Show

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Now I'm on the endgame of things with "Cult of the Lamb". Meanwhile, hubby just picked up "Inheritance of Crimson Manor" for himself since it was on sale from Steam.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Quests in Dragon Quest XI are either fine or annoying, especially the 'initiate combat with enemy A to hopefully find enemy B' ones where the required enemy appears less often than metal slimes (which I can nearly semi-reliably kill by now, so grinding has been replaced by slime hunting). Hard enemies are fine as at worst I'll just grind and retry, but such quests are just tedious.

Also finished Act 1, and yep that's definitely not what I was expecting. Well played game, you've a less basic story than I'd assumed.
    Yeah, I appreciate the game taking such a bold turn. I was expecting there to be a second world of some variety, a la Dragon Quest 3 or 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    I still need to finish The Hex and Pony Island. My lack of skill at shoot-em-ups is coming into play in my progression.
    I don't think there's continuity between the games, so you're free to play them in any order. In particular Inscryption doesn't test your reflexes.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2023-12-03 at 11:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    I really want to hear the reactions from someone going into Inscryption unspoiled!
    Finished the game last night.

Warning! Inscryption is a game you do not want to be spoiled about if you have any inclination of playing it.

My thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing Inscryption has been a very stimulating, interesting and also fun experience. My mind was constantly chewing on it. It didn't help that I also suffered from Corona over the weekend
    and especially in the nights when I was kept half-awake by the sickness my mind was constantly cycling around Inscryption - albeit rather lucidly. When I got up, none of my night-time thoughts made any sense... Or did they?

Inscryption was advertised to me as a horror game. But I ultimately disagree with that description.
    The games uses horror aesthetics: the design of the first act, the whole Found-Footage thing etc.
    But it doesn't do horror: no body horror, no jump-scares, no gut-wrenching psychological horror (think Doki Doki)...
    Instead I would describe it as a perfectly executed artistic "meta" game that also incorporates a satisfying (at least to me) deckbuilding/card game in the style of MTG.

The theme of this artistic expression, the "what is this about", is not a human condition like psychosis (Hellblade) nor a philosophical question like the idea of "self", what it means to be a person and what it means to be that person (Soma). Instead Inscryption is more about the medium it it presented in itself: video game. Art that questions and pushes the boundaries of its respective medium is nothing new and I'm certain that the creation of Inscryption was heavily inspired by the Modernism of the last century. In my view it does succeed as such: first it send the player journey of reflection: about games, their definition and boundaries, what can and what you can't (or shouldn't) do in them, about genres and of course the primary mysteries of the game it self.* Each way-point offers revelations but also more questions, guiding the mind like a map. And finally the game actually transcends (hah!) the commonly understood boundaries of a single video game: Inscryption incorporates meddling with the game's files, previously released video games, and meat-space items into its own framework.

On the other hand one could raise criticism against Inscryption of making it hard if not impossible to be experienced fully by most players. Even ignoring knowledge requirements or the need to own specific other games, there was only ever be one group of people capable if finding the buried floppy disk - since there was only the one. And the other three floppy disk had to be ordered separately from a website. And again, these were unique as well. Deciphering Inscryption was and had to be a community event. One that cannot be re-experienced or replicated.

On yet another hand I'm not sure if that actually matters. During my play-through I was complete aware that I did not uncover all the secrets. I was aware of an abundance of clues that I could had no use for. And there were many clues that I did not even recognize. All well within the traditional boundaries of the game. So it feels a bit hypocritical to remark the lack of accessibility if I did not even made the effort to exhaust the resources available to me.

When I described Inscryption as "perfectly executed" I was not really referring to the post-game. Instead I meant the games actual presentation. Everything has purpose, every detail is accounted for. I also enjoy small things like all achievements being named after cards from Magic: The Gathering**. There was no scene where ambition was countered by a lack of effort or talent from the developer. The ending in particular was great: the whole set-piece, seeing the remaining scrybes "table" set-ups, and the heart-warming realization about the one thing that they actually cared about the most: having a good game, including the common gestures found in the real-world card gaming communities like shaking hands after a match.

* One of my first rather naive thoughts was: "Hey, I discovered by accident that you can get up from the table at pretty much any time... What if a player never realizes that?"
    ** This one I found out by myself and I am sheepishly proud of that. It was after finishing the game, when it closed itself and brought me back to the game's page in GoG Galaxy. Mindlessly I was hovering over one of the achievements that I had unlocked: "Painter's Servant... huh, funny, that a card in Magic: The... WAIT A MINUTE! Murder? Essence Capture? Balance of Power? Blood Artist? I think I'm onto something!"

All in all Inscryption has been a great addition to the already fantastic gaming year of 2023

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

Still at it with Cities Skylines 2, the last few patches have fixed a few things and I'm starting to understand the mechanics of the game a lot more. It's got a lot more things going on than it seems and a lot more than previous city builders I've played.
    Although with the last patch and exports being fixed, the money side of the game went from only a small issue after the early stages of the game, to absolutely nothing to even think about after a little bit.

I think the population vs services numbers are somewhere between 2-5x of what they should be. As in a city of 100k seems to require a lot more services than a real city of that population.

Mass transit is vital to keeping a city going, but at least the cims are happy to take it and walk a decent amount. But even then, poor connections and road bottlenecks can really grind areas to a halt.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Planning on restarting Wrath of the Righteous AGAIN, as fun as Kineticist and Azata are I'm just not feeling it right now, especially as I seem to have slipped from focusing on Earth as I wanted to mainly using fire. I considered Cavalier Demon->Legend/Gold Dragon, but I've gone heavy on mounts on my last two attempts and want to try keeping everybody's feet on the ground.

I ended up going Magus (Sword Saint), Chaotic Neutral for now, and possibly aiming for the Trickster path. May end up going Azata again, or I might do Demon->Legend or Dragon. We'll wait and see what I unlock.

Sword Saint is going to be fun though, if only because it's clearly designed for crit fishing with a rapier.

Show

21. - Top - End - #471
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Well checked Gog today and out of nowhere Legends of Amberland 2: The songs of trees released. What a pleasant surprise. So yeah, that is what I am playing now. Anyone who liked might and magic (like the 3-5 ones) or the goldbox games would also probably enjoy it. After playing the first one "The forgotten crown" a year or so ago, this one was an instant buy for me.

Basically like the 3-5 might and magic games with modern qol improvements. (It even has difficulty settings) Currently checking all the shops for all the status effect resist equipment I can find (Something I wish a few other similar games like this would have had) Hope the dev added a few new enemy types to this installment as well.
    Last edited by WritersBlock; 2023-12-05 at 05:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

I gave up on Throne of Bhaal for the moment. My Fallen Paladin lost his abilities and I'm struggling with the encounters, Keldorn is the only person I have who can take hits, and I barely got out of Saradush.

Playing Disco Elysium instead. I have seen Youtube playthroughs of the first hour or two, but I'm now past that part and off the map. Day 1, 2pm, I need to have 100 real by tonight or I have nowhere to sleep. Current funds: 1.75 real.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I gave up on Throne of Bhaal for the moment. My Fallen Paladin lost his abilities and I'm struggling with the encounters, Keldorn is the only person I have who can take hits, and I barely got out of Saradush.

Playing Disco Elysium instead. I have seen Youtube playthroughs of the first hour or two, but I'm now past that part and off the map. Day 1, 2pm, I need to have 100 real by tonight or I have nowhere to sleep. Current funds: 1.75 real.
    Can't you donate gold to temples to increase your Reputation enough to have class features again?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

If you can't raise the money (which is really, really difficult) there's at least two alternatives. One presents itself automatically while if you've found your clipboard you've unlocked another.

Show

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Can't you donate gold to temples to increase your Reputation enough to have class features again?
    I'm pretty sure raising your rep doesn't unfall paladins. I think there's a quest that can do it in BG2 (I barely ever play paladins), but I don't know about ToB.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    If you can't raise the money (which is really, really difficult) there's at least two alternatives. One presents itself automatically while if you've found your clipboard you've unlocked another.
    Well, the difficulty kinda depends on your approach. When I tried a playthrough as a very, very corrupt and super opportunistic detective, I pretty quickly had more money than I knew what to do with. Though that is admittedly a rather specific play style.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2023-12-06 at 02:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds rough. Do you play with some self-imposed iron-man challenge or so? I wonder how you'd get in such a situation in the first place

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Well, the difficulty kinda depends on your approach. When I tried a playthrough as a very, very corrupt and super opportunistic detective, I pretty quickly had more money than I knew what to do with. Though that is admittedly a rather specific play style.
    Yes, but otherwise (like if you're going for boring cop, sorry cop, or supercop). Money is very hard to come by for a day or two, especially as IIRC you can find the recording on day one and buy the boombox before you know how tight money is. Plus if somebody's got 2pm and has so little money they've probably not been taking bribes.

Like you can do it, but you have to be playing corrupt for the first day. The developers want you to see the scene
    Spoiler
    Show
    where Kim sells the hubcaps
    and so made most routes likely to encounter it.

Show

28. - Top - End - #478
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Finished the game last night.

Warning! Inscryption is a game you do not want to be spoiled about if you have any inclination of playing it.

My thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing Inscryption has been a very stimulating, interesting and also fun experience. My mind was constantly chewing on it. It didn't help that I also suffered from Corona over the weekend
    and especially in the nights when I was kept half-awake by the sickness my mind was constantly cycling around Inscryption - albeit rather lucidly. When I got up, none of my night-time thoughts made any sense... Or did they?

Inscryption was advertised to me as a horror game. But I ultimately disagree with that description.
    The games uses horror aesthetics: the design of the first act, the whole Found-Footage thing etc.
    But it doesn't do horror: no body horror, no jump-scares, no gut-wrenching psychological horror (think Doki Doki)...
    Instead I would describe it as a perfectly executed artistic "meta" game that also incorporates a satisfying (at least to me) deckbuilding/card game in the style of MTG.

The theme of this artistic expression, the "what is this about", is not a human condition like psychosis (Hellblade) nor a philosophical question like the idea of "self", what it means to be a person and what it means to be that person (Soma). Instead Inscryption is more about the medium it it presented in itself: video game. Art that questions and pushes the boundaries of its respective medium is nothing new and I'm certain that the creation of Inscryption was heavily inspired by the Modernism of the last century. In my view it does succeed as such: first it send the player journey of reflection: about games, their definition and boundaries, what can and what you can't (or shouldn't) do in them, about genres and of course the primary mysteries of the game it self.* Each way-point offers revelations but also more questions, guiding the mind like a map. And finally the game actually transcends (hah!) the commonly understood boundaries of a single video game: Inscryption incorporates meddling with the game's files, previously released video games, and meat-space items into its own framework.

On the other hand one could raise criticism against Inscryption of making it hard if not impossible to be experienced fully by most players. Even ignoring knowledge requirements or the need to own specific other games, there was only ever be one group of people capable if finding the buried floppy disk - since there was only the one. And the other three floppy disk had to be ordered separately from a website. And again, these were unique as well. Deciphering Inscryption was and had to be a community event. One that cannot be re-experienced or replicated.

On yet another hand I'm not sure if that actually matters. During my play-through I was complete aware that I did not uncover all the secrets. I was aware of an abundance of clues that I could had no use for. And there were many clues that I did not even recognize. All well within the traditional boundaries of the game. So it feels a bit hypocritical to remark the lack of accessibility if I did not even made the effort to exhaust the resources available to me.

When I described Inscryption as "perfectly executed" I was not really referring to the post-game. Instead I meant the games actual presentation. Everything has purpose, every detail is accounted for. I also enjoy small things like all achievements being named after cards from Magic: The Gathering**. There was no scene where ambition was countered by a lack of effort or talent from the developer. The ending in particular was great: the whole set-piece, seeing the remaining scrybes "table" set-ups, and the heart-warming realization about the one thing that they actually cared about the most: having a good game, including the common gestures found in the real-world card gaming communities like shaking hands after a match.

* One of my first rather naive thoughts was: "Hey, I discovered by accident that you can get up from the table at pretty much any time... What if a player never realizes that?"
    ** This one I found out by myself and I am sheepishly proud of that. It was after finishing the game, when it closed itself and brought me back to the game's page in GoG Galaxy. Mindlessly I was hovering over one of the achievements that I had unlocked: "Painter's Servant... huh, funny, that a card in Magic: The... WAIT A MINUTE! Murder? Essence Capture? Balance of Power? Blood Artist? I think I'm onto something!"

All in all Inscryption has been a great addition to the already fantastic gaming year of 2023
    Theres definitely psychological horror imo:

Spoiler
    Show
    the fact that the custom cards you get to make, and that Leshy gets to send against you later, are actually prior victims, or possibly even prior/doomed versions of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

My brother got me Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince for Christmas and I'm looking forward to playing it. Not right now, i have too much Baldur's Gate 3 to do, but eventually. I'm also looking forward to Owlcat's Rogue Trader tomorrow, but reviews haven't been exactly glowing.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I'm also looking forward to Owlcat's Rogue Trader tomorrow, but reviews haven't been exactly glowing.
    I've unfortunately got to wait until Friday, but as long as they keep the M42 bollocks out of it and give us a good M41 type story it can't be that bad

Show