New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3 II: The Urge for a Second Playthrough

Getting back into it and I'm having a big where levelling up causes Durge's portrait to decenter. Having to do the old 'remove mods verify integrity' danced in the hope that solves it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Since we're on page 48, new thread titles time:

Baldur's Gate 3^2: Rivington Hardly Counts
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

Baldur's Gate 3 III: Problems in the third act are problems in the first act.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

So, Sven Vincke has seemingly confirmed that they have no plan for expansions or sequels, or any future D&D branded games. Not completely surprising, although it does mean it's probably going to be a few years before there's a proper successor.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    So, Sven Vincke has seemingly confirmed that they have no plan for expansions or sequels, or any future D&D branded games. Not completely surprising, although it does mean it's probably going to be a few years before there's a proper successor.
    That's baffling. You'd think that after a massive success like Baldur's Gate 3 the first thing on any company's mind would be telling the devs "make more like this, please." Whether that be a direct sequel or other D&D titles.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #1416

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    That's baffling. You'd think that after a massive success like Baldur's Gate 3 the first thing on any company's mind would be telling the devs "make more like this, please." Whether that be a direct sequel or other D&D titles.
    They might have said it, then included "Make it by Christmas", and Larian replied "lol nope"
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #1417

RedKnightGirl

Eh. Larian are an independent private studio, they have more leeway to chart their own course and they've got enough cred from this that they can probably translate it it into big hype for whatever they do next. They don't have to make a D&D game if they don't want to, and considering all that's going on at Wizards of the Coast, they might not want to.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Titan in the Playground

Baldur's Gate 3 III: No Plans for DLC Or A Fourth Thread

Sorted my portrait problem, apparently levelling up in the wrong areas messes with it retaking the portrait (I don't know why the game does that, but apparently it does).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Eh. Larian are an independent private studio, they have more leeway to chart their own course and they've got enough cred from this that they can probably translate it it into big hype for whatever they do next. They don't have to make a D&D game if they don't want to, and considering all that's going on at Wizards of the Coast, they might not want to.
    *nods*

This mostly sounds like an announcement that there isn't going to be DLC, so don't wait for any. Given the amount of post-release content we got (and Larian's history of not doing big DLC drops) this is hardly surprising.

Beyond that, a "we're keeping our options open" announcement makes a lot of sense. They're going to need time to consolidate after such a big release, and announcing Baldur's Gate 4 now would be foolish.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 released in 2017. Baldur's Gate 3 wasn't announced until June 2019. Even if a deal was settled the day BG3's sales numbers became apparent, I wouldn't expect to see an announcement until sometime next year.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ogre in the Playground

They had a LOT of time to work on the game. Lot. LOT of time.

I am sure whatever deal they got for BG4 was demanding much lesser turnaround time.

Either that or they want a palate rinser to not always do the same games.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Beyond that, a "we're keeping our options open" announcement makes a lot of sense.
    Looking at the news articles about this, it doesn't sound like a "we're keeping our options open" announcement. It sounds like they're straight-up saying their next game will not be D&D-related, full stop, no ambiguity about it. Which, I mean, their choice and all, and they should do what they think they'll do best, but it's quite disappointing to me at least.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2024-03-21 at 07:05 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground

It's not as much if you understand Larian's mindset. They don't really do sequels. Oh sure, they do games that are CALLED sequels, but other than vague lore and worldbuilding (and even that can change on a whim) they have never created a game that is a direct follow-on form another one. Each of their games is completely standalone.

Combined with their reticence to even touch anything past 12th level because it would be supposedly impossible (which I always found silly, but they were consistent on saying it), there is absolutely nowhere for the series to go. They wouldn't do a direct sequel because A.) they won't and B.) they can't figure out how D&D is supposed to work post-7th level spells.

Wizards likely wanted a BG 4 that carries on from the end of 3 and goes to 20, same as BG 2 did with the original. Larian likely declined stating those reasons and probably a general interest in taking a break from mucking around in someone else's sandbox.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at the news articles about this, it doesn't sound like a "we're keeping our options open" announcement. It sounds like they're straight-up saying their next game will not be D&D-related, full stop, no ambiguity about it. Which, I mean, their choice and all, and they should do what they think they'll do best, but it's quite disappointing to me at least.
    I suspect they've had plans for their next game, likely Divinity 7, for a few years and don't want to drop them or make a direct sequel. It's possible they might return to D&D at some point, but not now.

Although I wouldn't be shocked if they licence the engine to another studio, or if another company has been working on a soon to be announced Neverwinter Nights 3.

Show

14. - Top - End - #1424

RedKnightGirl

I do wonder what the plan is, are they going to return to Divinity, come up with a new original setting or maybe license another IP

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Wizards likely wanted a BG 4 that carries on from the end of 3 and goes to 20, same as BG 2 did with the original. Larian likely declined stating those reasons and probably a general interest in taking a break from mucking around in someone else's sandbox.
    I'm honestly inclined to say this happened as a result of Wizards laying off all of Larian's original contacts who worked with them on getting this deal made. Vincke did not seem happy about that, and from what he said they were initially open to doing DLC and sequels.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Although I wouldn't be shocked if they licence the engine to another studio, or if another company has been working on a soon to be announced Neverwinter Nights 3.
    I would be surprised. But I'd also not necessarily be nearly as interested - another company wouldn't have the trust that Larian earned with BG3. They'd either be a company I've never heard of, in which case my reaction would be cautious interest with a healthy amount of skepticism on top; or one I have heard of, which would likely be worse since the only western RPG devs I've ever been much of a fan of are Bioware, and they're currently a shadow of their former selves.

I'm honestly inclined to say this happened as a result of Wizards laying off all of Larian's original contacts who worked with them on getting this deal made. Vincke did not seem happy about that, and from what he said they were initially open to doing DLC and sequels.
    Sounds plausible.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Baldur's Gate 3 III: No Plans for DLC Or A Fourth Thread
    +1

I do wonder what the plan is, are they going to return to Divinity, come up with a new original setting or maybe license another IP
    My guess is return to Divinity or new IP. Now that they have the name recognition of being AAA quality RPG developers, whatever they do next won't involve a $90 million haircut to Wizbro.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be interested in seeing a new IP from them. The gameplay of the latest Divinity games has been great but kinda hampered by the setting itself being pretty bland besides its more notably quirky races (undead and elves).

18. - Top - End - #1428

RedKnightGirl

I would be surprised. But I'd also not necessarily be nearly as interested - another company wouldn't have the trust that Larian earned with BG3. They'd either be a company I've never heard of, in which case my reaction would be cautious interest with a healthy amount of skepticism on top; or one I have heard of, which would likely be worse since the only western RPG devs I've ever been much of a fan of are Bioware, and they're currently a shadow of their former selves.
    None of the established studios who I'd trust to do it well are studios that I'd want spending their time working on licensed DLC expansions to someone else's story.

In theory giving the tech over to a fledgling studio could be a good way to build up some new CRPG studios, but it'd hardly be a guaranteed success.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    My guess is return to Divinity or new IP. Now that they have the name recognition of being AAA quality RPG developers, whatever they do next won't involve a $90 million haircut to Wizbro.
    The thing I could see about picking up a new License is that they've got the credibility that they could probably work on any project they wanted to, so if they've got another property they want to make a game out of now would be the time.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ettin in the Playground

No plans for DLC means I can FINALLY do a real run of this game.

I have problems.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

20. - Top - End - #1430

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    No plans for DLC means I can FINALLY do a real run of this game.

I have problems.
    I've restarted an uncounted number of times in order to get it "right". I recently had a big breakthrough where I reset only to the beginning of Act III, instead of starting entirely over.

We should form a support group.
    The Cranky Gamer

21. - Top - End - #1431

The thing I could see about picking up a new License is that they've got the credibility that they could probably work on any project they wanted to, so if they've got another property they want to make a game out of now would be the time.
    I mean that's true, but who could afford them now? EAware to give us a Dragon Age that doesn't suck? Microblizz to revive Warcraft Adventures or make some kind of Elder Scrolls spinoff?

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing a new IP from them. The gameplay of the latest Divinity games has been great but kinda hampered by the setting itself being pretty bland besides its more notably quirky races (undead and elves).
    I have to admit that Rivellon's cannibal-memory-elves thing has been a pretty unique take. I've been thinking about stealing that quirk for Ravenloft races like Dhampir or Reborn on the D&D side, or maybe even Lizardfolk / Dragonborn.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Titan in the Playground

I'm glad they aren't doing BG 4. I really like BG 3, but the pressure to make any putative sequel stick pretty close to BG 3 is going to be immense. I'd hate to see Larien's innovation and willingness to try new stuff be wasted on franchise service.

Making another Divinity game, if that's what they do, pretty much sidesteps that, because Divinity is creatively a wide open book. Once a series contains something as insane as Dragon Commander, there's effectively no limits.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

23. - Top - End - #1433

RedKnightGirl

I mean that's true, but who could afford them now? EAware to give us a Dragon Age that doesn't suck? Microblizz to revive Warcraft Adventures or make some kind of Elder Scrolls spinoff?
    I'll be honest I was thinking like Star Wars or Game of Thrones, they've got their pick of the lot. Or maybe do what CD Projekt did and adapt some novels they really like.

I was not imagining them picking up another CRPG franchise, and frankly if they did I would expect like Arcanum or Tyranny, classics that never really got their due or the sequels they deserved, rather than trying for some other established company's flagship title.
    Last edited by Errorname; 2024-03-22 at 03:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1434

I'll be honest I was thinking like Star Wars or Game of Thrones, they've got their pick of the lot. Or maybe do what CD Projekt did and adapt some novels they really like.

I was not imagining them picking up another CRPG franchise, and frankly if they did I would expect like Arcanum or Tyranny, classics that never really got their due or the sequels they deserved, rather than trying for some other established company's flagship title.
    The KOTOR remake has already been licensed and I can't think what else Larian would really do there.

A Game of Thrones RPG sounds like a recipe for disaster. It's a great setting to watch or read about but the low magic means very little variety in RPG terms. I could see some kind of total war or grand strategy game working there though.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #1435

RedKnightGirl

The KOTOR remake has already been licensed and I can't think what else Larian would really do there.
    Star Wars is just sort of the definitive big multimedia genre franchise so it's a useful example, it's not something I personally would be too excited for from them.

A Game of Thrones RPG sounds like a recipe for disaster. It's a great setting to watch or read about but the low magic means very little variety in RPG terms. I could see some kind of total war or grand strategy game working there though.
    Nothing wrong with low-magic RPGs, although Westeros as a setting is definitely built for grand scale conflict and doing a Song of Ice and Fire RPG well would probably mean incorporating elements of strategy games. For what it's worth I've long been fascinated by the idea of making a game that still feels like a CRPG while operating on a scale of armies, I think that could be a really cool thing, but I do suspect Larian might want to do something more traditional.
    Last edited by Errorname; 2024-03-22 at 04:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Titan in the Playground

The Cyanide Game of Thrones RPG is pretty good if you have high tolerance for Eurojank*. There's plenty of ways to create variability in a game without magic, magic is just the easy and incoherent shortcut.

That said, I hope they don't do something licensed simply because there's too much licensed stuff already, and they're in the enviable and unusual position of being a top-tier studio beholden to nobody. No reason to waste a genuinely creative team on ideas as creatively dead as Star Wars.

*and I mean high tolerance. Makes Piranha Bytes look smooth and polished.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    The Cyanide Game of Thrones RPG is pretty good if you have high tolerance for Eurojank*. There's plenty of ways to create variability in a game without magic, magic is just the easy and incoherent shortcut.

That said, I hope they don't do something licensed simply because there's too much licensed stuff already, and they're in the enviable and unusual position of being a top-tier studio beholden to nobody. No reason to waste a genuinely creative team on ideas as creatively dead as Star Wars.

*and I mean high tolerance. Makes Piranha Bytes look smooth and polished.
    "Eurojank"?

Magic is.. difficult because it breaks rules of reality. I prefer when the magic is very focused in its presence in the world.

DnD's kitchen sink where everyone can cast pretty much everything and all magic exist never been my favourite.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    "Eurojank"?
    Eurojank is probably best described as a subcategory of games with high ambition, and low resources. A lot of these types of games are created in eastern Europe, hence the name.

Eurojank games tend to be feature rich, innovative, and off-the-wall, but also, well, janky. Shoddy coding, weird translations or speech patterns, and just an all around feeling of being off in a charming way.

I personally would also further sub-classify them into "high Eurojank" and "low Eurojank".

Low Eurojank games tend to have some of the same vibe, but feel overall like a higher level of production. Games like Elex, Noita, and Vampyr fall into this category; a little more polish overall, but still keeping the key aspects.

High Eurojank games are the ones almost more defined by their jank than anything else. The jank itself becomes a character in the game, and you will learn to love them like a brother. Examples include E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy, Pathologic, and the classic S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, the latter of which is considered the primoridal Eurojank game which popularized the idea.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    "Eurojank"?

Magic is.. difficult because it breaks rules of reality. I prefer when the magic is very focused in its presence in the world.

DnD's kitchen sink where everyone can cast pretty much everything and all magic exist never been my favourite.
    "Eurojank" refers to a somewhat broad but relatively unified style of primarily European game design which is often complicated and "janky" in similar ways to each other (and is often, but not always, caused by a low budget)

Kingdom Come Deliverance would probably be the best example of a high budget "eurojank" game, Other popular games you may have heard of (with much less budget) would be the STALKER series, the first witcher specifically, Gothic one and two, and the original x3.

(Also, ninja'd)

Personally, i like D&D very much for video games, but don't actually care much about it in other contexts, as for what IP larian could possibly go after and do well in, I do think a Star Wars game could go well.

While yes, KOTOR is already spoken for (Regrettably, it seems profoundly unlikely for the remake to end up good given all that has occured to it, but i will still hope) Star Wars is a broad enough setting, As was made apparent during the golden age of star wars games (which gave us gems like KOTOR and Jedi academy).

Larian could easily (If Disney was willing to give them any degree of freedom) make an RPG set in the old republic era distinct from the KOTOR timeline with almost any story they like. We certainly won't get such a game, but it doesn't seem hard for me at least to imagine.
    Last edited by Aragehaor; 2024-03-22 at 06:29 PM.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

30. - Top - End - #1440

RedKnightGirl

I don't think I want a Star Wars or Game of Thrones game from Larian, for the record. I just don't really know enough about their lead creatives to have a strong sense of what settings (if any) they might be super passionate about so I went with broadly popular examples