New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3 II: The Urge for a Second Playthrough

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    It's hit by the fact that jumping can be a little tedious? I've mostly been playing on Steam Deck, which is usually extremely natural (maybe too much so, I'm having trouble going back to mouse/keyboard CRPGs actually) but jumping is a major exception to that.

In a setting that manages to make the navigation as fluid as say, jumping and climbing and blinking in Dishonoured, I think mandatory jumps and climbing would be a lot easier to swallow.
    I mean, all they really needed to do would be to include jumping in the auto-pathfinding. So if you click on the other side of a river, the game would know that the party should keep trying to hop across the rocks jutting out of the middle of the river, or at the very least each character should try X times and then give up so that at least some of the party would get across and clue to a new player that the river is passable.

But the game has a telegraphing problem in general (see the Cazador fight.)

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Select Jump, Select jump location, see if my whole party follows, if NOT ungroup party, position everybody who DID jump such that there is room for the person who DIDN'T jump, make the straggler jump to join, regroup party. If you screw up and click the straggler without ungrouping, people jump back.
    This, especially the "successful party members jump back if you didn't ungroup or are too slow" thing. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I was wondering to myself why I didn't have this experience of jumping seeming unintuitive in exploration, but perhaps it's because I'm playing on console? I'm not experiencing it as a point-and-click game, I'm manually moving my character like in any other game, so jumping feels like a natural thing to be doing and looking for places to do (albeit with an unnatural way to access it, since it's bound to up on the d-pad).
    You're correct, it's a lot more intuitive on console because you're not clicking on a destination and waiting for your party to get there like many other isometric CRPGs (and conversely, getting a "inaccessible area" error that in prior CRPGs would indicate you clicked on something out of bounds.)

What the mouse version of the game could have really used in particular is a clear difference between an area you're just not supposed to go, and one that you can get to but might need some jumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Colossus in the Playground

That's actually a great point. The game would infinitely benefit from a better overlay in many situations. Where you just press a button and it shows areas where a character can stand in green and where they can't in red.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Also, whenever my main character jumps an even slightly tricky gap, at least one or two party members would always refuse to follow. Meaning I'd have to go into turn-based mode and jump them all across the gap one by one. Made the Underdark incredibly annoying.

Maybe they patched, because I've been having hte problem less in the second act.
    Hey, now I learned something! I was always ungrouping, jumping everyone individually, then regrouping. Turn-based might be better... I only recently hit on the idea of using it for assassination.

BTW, how much of Moonrise becomes inaccessible after you kill the absolute? Can I pick through it for a while?
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2024-02-27 at 01:23 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #1354

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    BTW, how much of Moonrise becomes inaccessible after you kill the absolute? Can I pick through it for a while?
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can't kill the Absolute in Act 2, unless you use Gale's bomb, in which case you get a bad ending. Did you mean Ketheric Thorm instead?

Assuming you actually meant the latter - you can explore the tower just fine for doodads and valuables after liberating it, but none of the sidequests will be available.

That's actually a great point. The game would infinitely benefit from a better overlay in many situations. Where you just press a button and it shows areas where a character can stand in green and where they can't in red.
    Totally agreed.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2024-02-27 at 08:41 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #1355

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Assuming you actually meant [Ketheric] - you can explore the tower just fine for doodads and valuables after liberating it, but none of the sidequests will be available.
    Yeah, I meant Ketheric.

I actually discovered something that should have been obvious last night, though... the joy of partial rests.

You've killed all the enemies. You don't have any quests left to do. You've been quick, using only two or three long rests through the entire thing... and then you're pretty sure you have a lot of long-rest events left. So, you take a long rest... then you just take a bunch of partial rests, selling off useless gear each day and getting the long rest events without worrying about supplies.

I cannot believe I didn't use these before. I'm annoyed I didn't do it before I moved on to act 2.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I actually discovered something that should have been obvious last night, though... the joy of partial rests.

You've killed all the enemies. You don't have any quests left to do. You've been quick, using only two or three long rests through the entire thing... and then you're pretty sure you have a lot of long-rest events left. So, you take a long rest... then you just take a bunch of partial rests, selling off useless gear each day and getting the long rest events without worrying about supplies.
    I've got a mod that puts an exclamation mark over Tav's head (or the main character) whenever there is nighttime camp events available. Saves me a lot of time.

7. - Top - End - #1357

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    I've got a mod that puts an exclamation mark over Tav's head (or the main character) whenever there is nighttime camp events available. Saves me a lot of time.
    Camp Event Notifications. Hands down one of my favorite mods in the entire game, and the latest update didn't seem to break it either.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #1358

Might have to grab that one.
    The Cranky Gamer

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, finally finished BG3 yesterday.
    Spoiler: Act 3 finale
    Show

I brought Karlach, Astarion, Gale, and my Drow Bard.
    Had to turn Orpheus into Mindflayer, but was curious if I can achieve Wyll and Karlach ending without Wyll in the party (it did allow me and some hint about sequel of expansion of them going to Avernus for forge, and as I saw in one video, Raphael might get involved if he’s still alive and deal is struck with him).
    Destroy the Netherbrain but not sacrificing Gale (I tried it at one save and abit heartbreaking) and decided to let him give the crown to Mystara.
    Good thing I brought Rune Bombs, smoke powder grenades and arrows, and disintegrate rays.
    Orpheus asked to be killed but convinced him to stay in sidelines…maybe wish he could be advisor to Lae’zal.
    Also had reunion six months later.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Well, got to, ehem, the "Mother Superior", and I don't know how to feel yet, I am still mulling it over.

opening thoughts:
    Voice, on point, much like other characters that got new voices I have no issues with with that in terms of selection
    One note, I don't think I would have recognized the character without the name and is rather thin on characterization in general, beyond "Shar Cleric"

But I only did the first two conversations, I wanted to take a peek as I will have more time tomorrow as well as I am pondering whether I want to long rest or do more fighting with my OC at half-health.
    --

Unrelated, have a side thing going with Karlach origin, does anyone know if you can do romances before fixing the engine? And if you need that, is it act 1 fix, or act 2 fix?
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

11. - Top - End - #1361

You need two engine tune-ups for a proper romance scene IIRC. Not sure if Origin Karlach changes that but I don't see why it would.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

You need two engine tune-ups for a proper romance scene IIRC. Not sure if Origin Karlach changes that but I don't see why it would.
    I am aware of the default play, I am just holding out hope that some romances are available, since at least a few need to be started in act one, as I recall.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    I am aware of the default play, I am just holding out hope that some romances are available, since at least a few need to be started in act one, as I recall.
    If you are talking about Minthara, I am unsure of how that works with Karlach origin. I just got the scene where Astarion attempts to ... grab a snack. It doesn't ... progress because of how hot you are.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

If you are talking about Minthara, I am unsure of how that works with Karlach origin. I just got the scene where Astarion attempts to ... grab a snack. It doesn't ... progress because of how hot you are.
    Right now I am quick testing with Lae'zel, but haven't decided yet, just recruited Wyll and he was my initial lean, but the opening is alot more cringe than a Tav playthrough so I am still thinking.

Minthara is probably going to die this playthrough, I know there is a work around to not kill her and save the tieflings but that requires thought that a Barb waifu is unlikely to provide.
    Last edited by Witty Username; 2024-03-10 at 11:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ogre in the Playground

An evil Karlach playthrough must be quite interesting, actually. Raphael has to have special dialogue. So does Mizora.

Damn. I think my next goody playthrough will be Wyll, then an evil playthrough with Karlach.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    Right now I am quick testing with Lae'zel, but haven't decided yet, just recruited Wyll and he was my initial lean, but the opening is alot more cringe than a Tav playthrough so I am still thinking.
    I'm holding out for Halsin on my Karlach playthrough, though keeping true to Karlach's hot-blooded flirtations until we get her engine under control.

Minthara is probably going to die this playthrough, I know there is a work around to not kill her and save the tieflings but that requires thought that a Barb waifu is unlikely to provide.
    I've actually turned on the passive 'non-lethal damage' for the entire playthrough (and playing on Honor mode) to see what happens. I generally take out anyone that isn't 'temporarily hostile' after the fight is over (reasoning is they refuse to surrender after being captured) but don't feel the need to execute the rest. Let's me loot them.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2024-03-10 at 01:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So far Karlach is my favorite origin start, having dipped into a Shadowheart and Lae'zel playthrough so far.

Of the origin characters she feels like the closest to a Tav playthrough, with alot less plot, more vibe. The engine is an issue but a pretty small scale one, especially in comparison to Gale's nonsense.

18. - Top - End - #1368

I need to at least start some origin runs.
    The Cranky Gamer

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ogre in the Playground

I need to at least start some origin runs.
    I genuinely enjoyed anytime the narrator went in "personal story" mode for the Dark Urge and im looking forward to playing other origins.

At least for Durge, the narrator goes into detail about.. nuance and sensory information, like a good GM would make you try to immerse in a role. I hope playing Origin with other characters help provide more insights.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    I genuinely enjoyed anytime the narrator went in "personal story" mode for the Dark Urge and im looking forward to playing other origins.

At least for Durge, the narrator goes into detail about.. nuance and sensory information, like a good GM would make you try to immerse in a role. I hope playing Origin with other characters help provide more insights.
    From my experience with Karlach, there is certainly narrator specific content and a few times Karlach's thoughts are voice acted. Im only as far as finishing up the goblin camp though.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2024-03-12 at 02:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1371

How different does an origin run start compared to Tav/Durge? I don't want details, but is it pretty much the same, otherwise?
    The Cranky Gamer

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

How different does an origin run start compared to Tav/Durge? I don't want details, but is it pretty much the same, otherwise?
    It's basically the same. Wyll and Karlach don't start in pods, Lae'zal has a Githyanki Jenkins to fill her role in the prologue and that's about it.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

From what I've seen between my Co-op playthrough, three additonal separate playthroughs which are in Act 3*, and a fourth playthrough that is still in Act I...

Dark Urge is the best origin, hands down. It's designed as the PC origin and has by far the most content, including quite a bit of important story lore you won't find out on any other playthrough.

Karlach, Shadowheart, and Gale are the three next best. Karlach has quite a bit of voiced dialogue where she talks to herself, Shadowheart gets a lot of story content that focuses her as the main character as a PC, and Gale has a number of interactions that are only possible as PC Gale (like a certain camp visitor).

Astarion is the worst, because you get robbed of Neil Newbon's amazing voice acting.

Wyll and Lae'zel I haven't seen a PC playthrough of them, so I couldn't say how good it is to play them as PC. I don't think Wyll is well regarded as PC though.

Finally, there's Drow Tav. Worth playing just for all the unqiue dialogue options you get.

*my Co-op playthrough only finished the game a couple weeks ago, so the other playthroughs were content-locked for a long time

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Wyll and Lae'zel I haven't seen a PC playthrough of them, so I couldn't say how good it is to play them as PC. I don't think Wyll is well regarded as PC though.
    Players don't like being someone else's sucker

I wonder how Evil Wyll plays like. You "save" Karlach, turn daemonic, and you decide it you are now on board with the Devil Agenda.

25. - Top - End - #1375

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    Lae'zal has a Githyanki Jenkins to fill her role in the prologue
    Note his name as well Never change Larian!
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Ogre in the Playground

Note his name as well Never change Larian!
    Losiir? I dont get it

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

It depends, some of it is narrator changes, some unique dialog.

I think my favorite bit is each character has a personalized beach landing, as I recall Karlach has a dialog option that she will actually start crying when she realizes where she landed.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Colossus in the Playground

How do they deal with all the knowledge about the character's backstories you should have when you play them? Is there an infodump somewhere, or do you get mostly the same dialogue and it's just assumed you already know who characters from your backstory are?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

How do they deal with all the knowledge about the character's backstories you should have when you play them? Is there an infodump somewhere, or do you get mostly the same dialogue and it's just assumed you already know who characters from your backstory are?
    You get infodumped a bit during the first couple long rests, and after the crash. How much depends on the Origin.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #1380

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Losiir? I dont get it
    Sound it out phonetically and you'll get his narrative purpose (hint: it's a long o, like "oooo", not like "owe").

In addition to the long rest infodumps Keltest mentioned, Malady the Narrator will chime in at various pivotal moments with key contacts, such as when Wyll corners Karlach.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy