GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Out of the Abyss, IC II

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    AC: 19 HP: 43/43
    PP: 15 PIv: 18 PIs: 13 Sanity: 10
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Inside the Iron Eel, ALADIN positions himself so he can watch the control, to figure out how it was operated, and try to guess at some of the mechanics behind it. However, before he can really get going, Blurg's offer derails him. "I am familiar with our ship, and can keep an eye out for unexpected debris that may damage this vessel."
    As Blurg goes over the controls with him, ALADIN pays attention, committing the data to his data storage. "It appears that this vessel was not intended to be operated by one individual. Perhaps a hive mind species of some sort? It would be difficult to keep multiple pilots acting in unison."

With the water flowing behind them, and the bay approaching, ALADIN's attention is drawn back to the view, and he takes in the pair of drow vessels. "Unexpected. It appears that there are a pair of drow vessels present outside of the bay. They may have followed us for some reason. It would likely be beneficial to avoid them, and inform the other members of the Black Manta of their presence. The Black Manta should be anchored in the bay itself, and be alone." As always his voice is neutral, betraying no emotion. Simply a calming, soothing tone, designed to make sure a situation is calm.

RONT
    Orc Brute Fighter
    AC: 19 HP: 51/51
    PP: 11 PIv: 9 PIs: 11 Sanity: 10
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Descending the final cliff, Ront moves, demonstrating his great physical fitness as he descends the cliff behind the falling figures of Elara and Turvey. Perhaps not as swift, but decidedly a proper orc. Still, his attention on Elara's descent comes at the cost of his own as he grasps onto a loose rock, and promptly falls, landing into the sea below with a huge splash. Not missing a beat, and well aware of the carnivorous fish, he quickly runs to shore, although his lack of soles for his boots does him no favors.

Reaching the sea, Ront frowns, and makes sure that the lightsword was attached to the cable. "Think trouble's here."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d20+8)[24] Check 1
    (1d20+8)[12] Check 2
    10 damage taken total(7 from the fall and fish, then 3 from bleed)

Last edited by Archmage1; 2024-02-08 at 02:18 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    AC: 17 HP: 23/34 MP: 14/31
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Exhaustion (1), 4 exp hit dice.
    Concentrating:--
    Arcane Recovery: 0/2. Hexblade Curse: Av.
    Slots:- Pact: 1/1 1st: 2/4 2nd: 1/3

Unwilling to risk falling down the cliff and suffer yet more embarassment, Faedryl opts for a swift teleportation spell instead, carrying her down to safety without exerting herself. Would that her magical reserves were adequate to carry her as such every moment of every day.

"I'm sure that Sarith and Topsy will not have let any harm come to our ship," Faedryl says. "There's no sign of combat or damage to our ship. A straightforward approach will be the best one."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The Iron Eel

"That's concerning," Blurg responds, his tone only slightly more emotive than ALADIN's. "Well, they are not expecting a submersible craft, I imagine. We can slip right by and warn your companions."

And they do. Though the drow on deck are likely alert and waiting for their target, they are not expecting one of those targets to be in a metal eel below them. The vehicle transports them smoothly past the cliff and into the bay.

Spoiler: AL Perception DC 18
    Show
    As they pass between some rocks along the 'entrance' of the bay, ALADIN notices that there are some very thing strands of webbing woven between them. More than some, in fact. Whether the series of tripwires would manage to stop a ship entirely - making each one thin enough to be so hard to see also makes them weaker than the strong strands of giant spider silk could be - it would certainly slow any vessel entering or leaving the bay.

The Black Manta

Derendil climbs deftly using his quaggoth claws, and despite a near slip that almost sends him tumbling after Ront, Borthan descends safely to the beach. Nilvae and Galdar are ferried down by their spiders, enjoying a walk on easy street as some others contest with slick rock.

"We ought to quickly staunch that wound, wielder," Dawnbringer's telepathic voice rings in the party's heads as they gather on the beach, Ront's bleeding soles leaving some red trails on the sand. "Requesting medical aid!"

Shortly later, they approach the anchored ships openly along the beach. Sarith and Topsy can see them approach. And so can the orcs.

One of the orog pirates steps forward and holds up a hand, signaling his crew to their positions. "Hold! Drow slave, these your masters we should kill?" he shouts, indicating Sarith with his gaze.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

Faedryl lacks any sort of skills or spells that would aid in the staunching of wounds for Ront, so she has to leave it to the others.

She wonders, idly, what sort of tales Sarith has spun in her absence to be addressed as 'slave' and her as his 'master' when they had no such connection, but perhaps the orog had misinterpreted. He didn't look very intellectual. To Faedryl, they never did.

Sarith Kzerkarit
    Drow Fighter/Phantom Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 40/40 MP: 22/22
    PP: 16 PIv: 11 PIs: 10
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:

"Kill her? I said nothing of the sort."" Sarith replies with a drawl. "I said that if our group had fallen, you could claim their treasures. Clearly they haven't. I'm afraid if you want to kill them now, you'll get no help from us." He glances at Topsy, then sighs. "And, I suppose, we would have to defend them as well. You can still toddle off with your ship and pride intact if you'd prefer."

Show

Intimidation? (1d20+5)[25]
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 17 HP:14/45
    22/29 MP
    0 Temp HP
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14 Sanity:12
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    4 of 5 d10 HD.
    Spell Slots- 4/4 1st, 2/2 2nd

"I'm right tired with orcs and orogs thinking that me, my friends, and our boat could be there's with a bit of effort. I'm about to stop giving out warnings if it comes up again. Step off, friend. We got no hatred for you, and if you can say the same we can part ways all friendly like. If not I'm gonna get real violent real quick, and trust me friend, you don't want to see that." Borthan grabbed his battle axe and gave it an experimental juggling spin through the air.
    The Bear is Back.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    ALADIN nods. "It also appears that they set some tripwires across the entrance as well. If they are stronger than they appear, they may be able to stop or slow a boat from departing the bay. I don't think these vessels have a friendly conversation on their minds."

As the Eel passes into the bay proper, and the third unexpected ship comes into view, ALADIN gives it a lookover as well. "It seems that we were followed by a sizable contingent. However, there does not appear to be violence occurring. Perhaps it might be best to simply wait, and act should combat occur, or the Manta starts to move out?"

Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #187

BlueKnightGuy

The Black Manta

Baring his tusks, the orog sets a hand on the railing of his ship. "Male loses his nerve when female comes around," he growls, gripping the wood with angry knuckles. It's clear he has hostility in mind, but the sudden 'shift' in numbers has him hesitating. There only appear to be a few orog on the deck of their vessel. "Where is the gnome?" he demands, slapping his heavy hand on the railing. "The gnome who sold Captain Goron's necklace! We must know where the Captain is. If the gnome answers, we go."

The Iron Eel

"Another one? More drow?" Y inquires in his quivering voice, bristling with anxious energy. To the contrary, the ship looks to be of duergar design by ALADIN's estimation. In fact, he recognizes it as the smaller duergar ship from the Surly Siren - the one occupied by orog pirates.

8. - Top - End - #188

GreenSorcererElf

RONT
    Orc Brute Fighter
    AC: 19 HP: 41/51
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Ront appears to be considerably less than happy at the suggestion that he is a slave, raising his shield, and showing his cestus to the watching pirates.

The intimidation, however, might be slightly shaken by the bandages wrapped around his feet.

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    ALADIN shakes his head at Y's question. "No, it does not appear so. It appears to be a duergar vessel, however, the size and configuration match that of a vessel a band of orog pirates were utilizing at the Surly Siren. I would estimate that the drow vessels are likely from the same location. It is likely that they are seeking one Captain Goron. If they are informed of his last known location, they may depart, and encounter the drow." As always, ALADIN's words are neutral, not showing any guilt or remorse over sending the pirates into a potential drow ambush.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

Faedryl frowns, then sighs. "Captain" she says it with a little bit of venom, "Goron tried to jump us and lost. In my ally's absolute maddening display of mercy, they let him go - after he gave up his loot as price for his life. Last we knew of him he was headed to a duergar outpost south of here. If it means you'll leave without wasting our time and energy, we'll point it out to you on your map." She was omitting some details, but it was true.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #190

BlueKnightGuy

The Black Manta

It would be a stretch to say that the orogs' mood has improved. News of their ally's defeat is hardly better than his suspected death, but it does less to inflame their purpose towards vengeance. As word comes that Goron is alive, their leader chews at his teeth in thought, perhaps weighing whether Faedryl is to be believed. "I know that outpost," the orcish man responds, pushing off of the railing. He paces along the length of the ship, eyeing Sarith and the others atop the Manta. "Fine. We continue ceasefire. When our landing party returns, we go," he announces, returning to his previous place on deck.

The Iron Eel

The situation on the surface seems tense, but ALADIN does not see any escalation of hostilities. "You know Captain Goron?" Blurg's voice inquires. His voice betrays familiarity.

11. - Top - End - #191

GreenSorcererElf

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Beneath the waves, insulated from all the happenings on the surface, ALADIN nods at Blurg's question. "Yes, we encountered him when he attempted to capture our ship. Are you familiar with him?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #192

BlueKnightGuy

The Iron Eel

Blurg's hand rests on one of the panels of the apparatus' cockpit. His fingers drum, and he rubs one of his tusks. "We are well acquainted. The Captain and I knew one another before he was The Captain. As labor slaves on the duergar docks," a bitter twist settles on his lip, recalling those days. "And we fought together for our freedom. But in time, his tactics became too... distasteful for my preference. Our paths diverged, and we parted ways on a complicated note."

Leaning back over ALADIN's shoulder, Y holds back a titter by biting his lip. "I was under the impression the two of you were friends," he comments.

"Maybe. Maybe it would be better to call us former comrades. I was hopeful that perhaps the years have cooled his fervor. Given that your ship is not captured, I assume he was not successful," turning to ALADIN, Blurg asks, "Does the Captain yet live?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2024-02-10 at 09:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193

GreenSorcererElf

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    ALADIN listens, enhancing his databanks information on the subject of Captain Goron with the information that Blurg was providing. "The Captain was alive, and leading an attack on a duergar facility the last time I saw him."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #194

BlueKnightGuy

The Iron Eel

With a hum, Blurg nods his head. "I think we should surface and warn the rest of your companions of the drow threat." Reaching down, he raises the plunger while adjusting their course with the lever, to bring them around the opposite side of the Manta from the pirate vessel.

The Black Manta

Soon after negotiations are closed, a metallic structure breaches the water and slides up onto the shallows of the beach. The orog pirates double take in surprise, then the hatch opens and Blurg emerges, sliding down onto the sand. "Hail," he greets the party, walking nearer along the beach.

"That you, mage? Long time, you turn tail and run," the orog from before shouts down at the Society member.

"Still alive, Opaugh," Blurg responds in a lukewarm voice. "Color me surprised." Opaugh sneers down, as Blurg turns to address the party. "You should be made aware, there are two drow vessels outside of the bay, with tripwires prepared in an attempt to slow ships exiting. Almost certainly in preparation for an attack."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

Faedryl's concern that the Society is associating with the Orog is put aside - they clearly hold no great love for one another, at least not anymore. "These drow friends of yours?" She asks the orog as she climbs back onto their ship. "Before you ask, no, they're no friends of mine." Probably. Zaen's passphrase lingers in the back of her mind, but there's little chance she'd volunteer that to the pirates, or to anyone without checking for scrying first.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #196

BlueKnightGuy

"Drow? No drow with us," Opaugh responds, turning to look over his shoulder into the darkness of the bay. He sniffs the air, as it he could pick up their scent on the water.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Elara
    Moon Elf Dhampir Cleric 5
    AC: 20 HP: 41/41 +8 THP PP: 16 PIv: 10 PIs: 16
    MP: 40/40 Sanity: +3
    Initiative: +2 (Advantage and +1d8)
    HD: 3/5d8, Conditions: none
    Spell Slots, 1st: 2/4, 2nd: 3/3, 3rd: 1/2
    Channel Divinity 1/1 SR + 1/1 LR
    Vampiric Bite: 3/3 LR
    Vigilant Blessing: self
    Eyes of the Night: 1/1 LR
    Elara gets back on the ship, listening to the conversation between the orogs and our crew.

"Perhaps we should extend this ceasefire into a temporary alliance. The drow will kill us all if they get the chance. We should defeat them and then go our separate ways."

Show

Turvy sheet
    Deep Gnome Wizard 5
    AC: 14 HP: 26/33 +11 THP PP: 12 PIv: 16 PIs: 12
    MP: 30/30 MD: 4/4d12 Sanity: -1
    Initiative: +6
    HD: 0/5d6, Conditions: mage armor, exhaustion 1
    Spell Slots, 1st: 1/4, 2nd: 2/3, 3rd: 1/2
    Portents: 5, 10

Turvy gets on the ship too, listens to Elara, and shakes his head.

"I don't trust the orogs any more than I trust the drow. But I do have an extra sloop in this bottle if we could somehow use that as a distraction. Plus we have the eel to get some of us on the other side of the drow. Perhaps we could set some sort of trap."

Show

18. - Top - End - #198

BlueKnightGuy

"We have no more reason to trust... you than... you... us," the orog first mate responds to Elara's suggestion, with what would be condescension if the complexity of the sentence did not strain his understanding of Common towards the end, coming out in a wavering grumble. He lets out a snort of air from his nostril. "Your drow ship watcher already plays games, pretend to be a slave rebel. How could I trust your words more?"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

"We didn't need to tell you where Goron was," Faedryl notes to the Orog. "Could've said we picked up his necklace from a shipwreck and gone on our merry way. I don't trust you, and you don't need to trust us, but the drow out there will stab us both just the same. May as well make it easier on yourself."

Show

With Borthan or Derendil's help, Faedryl gets a 21 on Persuasion.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2024-02-16 at 05:46 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    22/29 MP
    0 Temp HP
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    4 of 5 d10 HD.

Borthan did his best to look ready to fight, standing next to Faedryl, hands on weapons but not clearing his sheathes.
    The Bear is Back.

21. - Top - End - #201

BlueKnightGuy

One of the orcish deckhands speaks up, muttering in hushed Orcish to the interim-captain. With a click of tooth against tusk, Opaugh grimly smiles, hands clasped upon his elbows. "True." Letting go of his arms, he paces nearer to the Manta's side of their ship, sizing it up. "If you get sunk, we be easy pickings for slaves after. Fine-" he juts his chin out at Faedryl. "We will help sink the drow. But we will not be your bait."

"So it seems we have reached an accord for now," Blurg states, his shoulders relaxing. "We should devise a plan. The Eel can technically strike from below, but its bite is not especially effective at bringing down large ships. What it can do is latch on and use its powerful tail to interfere with a ship's mobility, or move it where we want it." Resting a knuckle on his chin, he adds, "Our craft can easily overpower a rowing ship, but any variety of arcane engine would be a struggle."

"If you hold something still, these cannons can sink it," rapping the side of one of the weapons, Opaugh produces a metallic din. Unlike Goron's ship, they must have at least some ammunition left.

"We gan blboarb a shib," one of the kuo-toan marauders on the Manta raises a webbed claw and murbles. Their ability to swim would allow them to traverse the water easily, though if there are many real eels or other fish in the water they could get a few bites along the way.

Spoiler: History: Drow Ships and Naval Tactics
    Show
    Faedryl treats the DCs as 5 lower.

Spoiler: DC 10: Armaments
    Show
    Drow ships are equipped with harpoon launchers, with spider silk threads. The normally use these to latch onto a ship and keep it from fleeing while the drow board; this way they get both slaves and a mostly intact ship out of the deal. When the opposing ship is too well-armored to be pierced with normal harpoons, they make use of sticky harpoons instead.

The harpoon launchers can still be deadly if aimed at a person, however, and drag anyone who survives the impalement into the dark waters.

Spoiler: DC 14: Crew
    Show
    More than mechanical tools of war, drow ships rely on their personnel in combat. They are equipped with magi for ranged engagements, and many of their boarding parties carry enchanted ziplines or utilize spells such as Misty Step to surmount distance.

Spoiler: DC 18: Propulsion
    Show
    A drow ship's propulsion depends on its quality. Almost all ships have some form of slave rowers for delicate movements and steering, but higher quality ships can unfurl enchanted silken sails that fill themselves with wind, allowing them to sail quite fast in the 'dark. There is a set of control levers near the navigator's wheel that controls the sails.

Their magical enhancements make them resistant to being shredded with arrows or burnt with flame, but a duergar cannon should be powerful enough to rip some holes in them.

Spoiler: Survival or Insight DC 16
    Show
    There are two tall cliffs that overlook the bay, forming its entrance. Right now the drow are using these alongside rocks in between to make their triplines, but the cliffs themselves are also a potential danger - and potential asset.

Anyone staging an ambush could post snipers atop the cliffs. The drow in particular are equipped with giant spiders, making scaling the heights so simple that failing to utilize them would be idiocy. Some could even be watching the party on the beach right now from one or both cliffs, through darkglasses.

There is a land-bound path to climb up onto the cliffs. Path is a strong word. It is uneven and rocky, and would take a skilled climber to traverse.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

Perhaps the quiet thrill of successfully convincing someone (even if it wasn't a fellow drow) of something inspires Faedryl, but she feels on a slight roll, and tries not to worry about karma twisting that on her down the line.

"A quick primer on drow naval tactics for those unaccustomed to it. Typically they use harpoons, by they piercing or stickers, to latch onto ships and board from there, rather than sinking with cannonfire. All the better for enslaving the crew. Ships normally carry a complement of boarding troops who make use of their own grappling hooks or short ranged teleportation, supported by spellcasters who remain on their 'home' ship. Typically their sails are enchanted, protected against most mundane weapons or flame, but larger weaponry-" She gestures to the cannons on the orog ship. "-may prove effective."

"Chances are they have snipers or other spider-mounted agents up on the cliffs as well. I'm certainly not up for a climb, but if anyone wanted to head up..." She glances at Sarith, who pointedly looks away, as if to say "I'm an archer, not a climber." Which turns her eyes in turn onto Nilvae and her 'pet' and Galdar and his mount.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2024-02-20 at 03:11 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #203

GreenSorcererElf

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    AC: 19 HP: 40/43
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Emerging from the Iron Eel at last, ALADIN finally chimes in as he descends the exterior of the Eel. "Depending on how well enchanted their hulls are, I may be able to shatter one, and put a hole in it. Judging by the past behavior of the carnivorous fish, I should be able to swim out and cast from underwater. If that fails, I will have little recourse, so it should perhaps be combined with an assault. It might be possible for someone to disable or destroy the spiderwebs as we approach as well. We could also attempt communicating. I find it surprising that the drow would have followed us here simply out of a desire to sink our ships. If we can claim the heights, it might be possible to communicate with them via shouting, or at least drop rocks on them? I think it likely unwise to attempt a passage without making sure that rocks are not going to be dropped through our ships."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    22/29 MP
    0 Temp HP
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    4 of 5 d10 HD.

"I can get behind taking the cliffs. Might give Sarith a good angle to blast them at range. However, as much as I'm willing to go, I'm still kind of hurt. Anyone got any magic to patch me up?" Borthan had bandaged himself up during the interim, but was still bleeding heavily.
    Show
    Did we short rest? I might have missed it.

Prince Derendil
    Quaggoth Barbarian/Abjurer
    AC: 17 HP: 17/39
    34/34 MP
    10 Temp HP
    PP: 10 PIv: 12 PIs: 10 Sanity 10
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8 hrs), Arcane Ward (0hp/8hp)
    Concentrating on: Rage
    HD:1/1 D12, 3/3 D6
    Spell Slots- 3/3 1st, 3/3 2nd, 2/2 3rd

"I think I would be better suited at boarding enemy ships than climbing. My magics are mostly melee oriented." Derendil's bandages were much neater, though not trained on the matter.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2024-02-23 at 08:29 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Elara
    Moon Elf Dhampir Cleric 5
    AC: 20 HP: 41/41 +8 THP PP: 16 PIv: 10 PIs: 16
    MP: 40/40 Sanity: +3
    Initiative: +2 (Advantage and +1d8)
    HD: 3/5d8, Conditions: none
    Spell Slots, 1st: 2/4, 2nd: 3/3, 3rd: 1/2
    Channel Divinity 1/1 SR + 1/1 LR
    Vampiric Bite: 3/3 LR
    Vigilant Blessing: self
    Eyes of the Night: 1/1 LR
    Elara looks a round a little sheepishly. She hesitates as the others discuss our options. She has already outed herself to the crew, but she's not keen on reminding them what she is.

"I... can walk up the cliff like it's the ground. We could also take any of our smaller friends with us - Topsy, Turvy, Aladin."

Show

Turvy sheet
    Deep Gnome Wizard 5
    AC: 14 HP: 26/33 +11 THP PP: 12 PIv: 16 PIs: 12
    MP: 30/30 MD: 4/4d12 Sanity: -1
    Initiative: +6
    HD: 0/5d6, Conditions: mage armor, exhaustion 1
    Spell Slots, 1st: 1/4, 2nd: 2/3, 3rd: 1/2
    Portents: 5, 10

Turvy looks around nervously,

"I'm not excited about being carried up a sheer cliff face, but if that's what everyone thinks is best, I'll do it."

Show

26. - Top - End - #206

GreenSorcererElf

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    ALADIN nods. "I have no objections to taking the cliffs. I also retain feather fall, so if we need to I could enable a rapid descent. Perhaps we should coordinate the cliff activities with the boats heading out?"

Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #207

BlueKnightGuy

Like Borthan, Charlotte - Galdar's steeder - has seen better days. A moment's reprieve to bandage their wounds might be wise. In order to spring on them now, the drow would need to disassemble their carefully crafted ambush site.

Show
    The party has indeed not SR'd since the hive, yet. Charlotte has also not healed since the ant rave, where she was down to something like 1 hit point.

"I am not much of a hiker, but if there's an offer to ride a spider up, I would join the counter-ambush," Topsy volunteers. With a look of consideration, she pulls a stick of lizard jerky from a bag within her pack, and offers one each to Faedryl, Borthan and her brother. "Here. Something to keep your strength up."

Show
    The lizard jerky is exquisite, seasoned with some of the herbs and with powdered mushrooms from Borthan's gathering over the past week or so. When eaten as a bonus action, it grants 6 thp.

"There are two cliffs," Blurg observes, looking out over the water. "One overlooks the ships we passed, according to your companion's account. But the other could also hide snipers. Should some perhaps be dispatched to both cliffs?"

For their part, the pirates and marauders don't seem to have much else to contribute to tactics discussions.

28. - Top - End - #208

BlueKnightGuy

Flank 1: Sarith, Nilvae, Mr. Spide

Though technically speaking they set out for the nearer of the two cliffs, the first flanking party finds their way rather rough. First they must ascend the waterfall that the party climbed down from the Society's campsite, then pick their way across stones in the stream to reach the other cliff face with unbitten ankles. There, a thankfully much dryer rock-climb awaits onto the rocky cliff ledges that extend out over and around the bay.

Spoiler: Skill Challenges
    Show
    Spoiler: Waterfall Ascent
    Show
    Two DC 14 Athletics checks, traveling up it this time, so they must be completed in a row.

Failing the first check is a shorter fall that causes 1d6 bludgeoning damage.
    Failing the second check results in a 30 foot fall into a small, sandy pool that opens into the bay, causing 2d6 bludgeoning damage.
    Failing either check results in getting chewed on by some of the carnivorous minnow fish in the pool for 1d6 piercing/slashing damage and 2 Bleed as they wade through before getting out of it. Then, trying again.

Misty Step can skip the ascent.
    Spide does not need to make the check, and can provide Help to those climbing, granting Advantage, or can take additional time carrying each of them up manually to allow them to skip the skill challenge; hauling them up will cost Spide a DC 14 Athletics check per passenger, to resist 1 level of Exhaustion.

Stealth may be attempted to avoid drawing the attention of the ambush snipers. You needn't retry Stealth for every single failed climb attempt, only if it takes an inordinate amount of time.

Spoiler: Stream Crossing
    Show
    One DC 12 Acrobatics check top hop between stepping stones.

On a failure, the character still makes it to the other side, but takes 1d6 piercing/slashing damage and 2 Bleed from the carnivorous minnows in the water.

Misty Step can skip the crossing.
    Spide's Web Grapnel allows him to skip the crossing.
    The river crossing is fully hidden from the snipers, requiring no Stealth check.

Spoiler: Cliff Ascent
    Show
    Getting up onto the cliffs is two DC 10 Athletics checks, which must be completed in a row.

Failure on the first check results in 1d6 bludgeoning damage from a fall and scrapes.
    Failure on the second check results in 2d6 bludgeoning damage from a heftier drop onto the rocky riverbank.
    Failure on either check results in trying again.

Misty Step can skip the ascent.
    Spide does not need to make the check, and can provide Help to those climbing, granting Advantage, or can take additional time carrying each of them up manually to allow them to skip the skill challenge; hauling them up will cost Spide a DC 12 Athletics check per passenger, to resist 1 level of Exhaustion.

After the final climb, the team can roll Stealth a second time to conceal their final approach.

Flank 2: Galdar, Charlotte, Topsy

Reaching the further cliff is not so difficult as reaching the nearer one. For one, they can climb the slopes of the beach to reach the plateau of the western cliffs. Still a bit of a hike, but nothing compared to the rock climbing their counterparts will be doing; particularly with a well-rested Charlotte to carry them. The steeder is testy with Topsy riding her at first, but acquiesces to Galdar's commands.

On the other hand, there is little cover along their path.

Spoiler: Skill Challenge
    Show
    Charlotte negates any minor climbing they may have needed to do.

However, they must all pass three Stealth checks to avoid notice on their approach.

Spoiler: Timing
    Show
    They may choose a number between 5 and 10 to determine their arrival time, higher being slower. Moving at a timing of 8+ allows them to use the Dodge maneuver against any incoming fire should they be spotted, since Charlotte gives them good maneuverability on the cliffside.

Flank 3: ALADIN, Iron Eel

As the Eel slithers back into the water, the Society offer ALADIN a ride upon its back. Certainly, it would save him a several hundred foot walk at the bottom of the murky water, and ensure he does not get turned around in the poor visibility below. Blurg advises him, however, to avoid getting his fingers caught and crushed in the section joints.

It will become clear to the carnivorous fish one way or another that ALADIN is not edible. But perhaps he can avoid the test-nibbles before they get it into their slippery, scaled skulls.

Show
    ALADIN can roll a DC 12 Animal Handling check to get the aquatic wildlife to leave him alone.
    On a failure, he takes 1d6 piercing damage and 2 Bleed from fish nibbles, and may try again.
    After two failures, he takes the damage again - but the fish take the hint that he's not made of something edible and leave him alone.

The DC and potential damage have been lowered somewhat by the presence of the Iron Eel, which frightens away the larger, smarter fish who see a much bigger fish and gtfo.

The Black Manta

While the others move to get in place, the Black Manta and the pirate ship are left to wait, make any last minute preparations they need to before the coming confrontation, and decide how soon to depart - too early, and they could face sniper fire before the others arrive; but they would also provide a distraction for the flanking parties' approaches. Too late, and they risk the flanking parties facing more trouble from drow back-up.

There is also the issue of the web tripwire.

Show
    Anyone with a ranged cantrip (or spell) that does force, fire or lightning damage can make an attack roll against AC 10 to burn away the tripwire on their approach. Magic Missile succeeds automatically. They have two shots at hitting it before the ships do; slowing down to avoid it would ultimately have the same effect as the tripwire itself and make them easier pickings for the snipers.

Spoiler: Timing
    Show
    The main party can choose a number between 1 and 10 to determine their timing. Flank 1's arrival time depends on their checks, Flank 2's on their choice of speed, and Flank 3 is estimated to arrive at a timing of 2 - the Eel will easily be in place and ready no matter what.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    Conditions: Exhaustion (1), 4 exp hit dice, Armour of Agathys (10/10)
    Slots:- Pact: 0/1 1st: 2/4 2nd: 0/3

Faedryl has little magic left to her, but she puts it to use, unwilling to risk the tripwire harming their ships, all while cloaking herself in her shawl of icy magic.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Magic Missiling the tripwire.
    Casting (2nd) Armour of Agathys.

Sarith Kzerkarit
    Drow Fighter/Phantom Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 40/40 MP: 22/22
    PP: 16 PIv: 11 PIs: 10
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:

Sarith is decidedly unhappy at being ordered to climb, when he had been otherwise enjoying his rest and relaxation on the ship, but he sets off regardless, dragging the loud and boisterous and annoying happy half-elf in tow like an indentured uncle forced to entertain a niece.

Spoiler: Actions, also for Nilvae
    Show

Nilvae: Inspiring Leader on the party before she leaves. 8 Temp HP for everyone.
    Soothsayer on Sarith, Spide
    Sarith Climb 1: (1d20+4)[8]
    Sarith Climb 2: (1d20+4)[9](1d20+4)[13] (Soothsayer Advantage)

Sarith Climbing: Failed once, passed 1+2 on second attempt. 2 damage taken.
    Spide Hauling Nilvae. (1d20+5)[17](1d20+5)[24] vs 14 to avoid exhaustion.

Stealth rolls:
    Sarith: (1d20+8)[10]
    Nilvae: (1d20+1)[19]
    Spide: (1d20+5)[16]

Stream Crossing:-
    Sarith: (1d20+8)[27](1d20+8)[21] (Soothsayer Advantage)
    Nilvae: (1d20+1)[19]

Cliff Ascent:-
    Sarith Climb 1: (1d20+4)[7]
    Sarith Climb 2: (1d20+4)[10](1d20+4)[14] (Soothsayer Advantage)

Sarith Climbing: Failed once, passed 1+2 on second attempt, 4 damage taken.
    Spide Hauling Nilvae. (1d20+5)[25](1d20+5)[14] vs 14 to avoid exhaustion.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2024-02-26 at 06:18 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #210

GreenSorcererElf

RONT
    Orc Brute Fighter
    AC: 17 HP: 48/51
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    With his boots melted, and his armor tattered from the acid of the hive, Ront wasn't exactly looking forwards to another fight, but he could hardly not in front of a shipload of orcs and orogs. Like Faedryl and others, he took up a stance at the front of the ship, and attempted to slice through the webbing, his way.

By throwing Dawnbringer. Repeatedly.

Show

(1d20+10)[12] Dawnbringer toss 1?
    (1d8+7)[11] + (1d4)[4]

(1d20+10)[24] Dawnbringer toss 2?
    (1d8+7)[15] + (1d4)[3]

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Taking advantage of the offer to ride on the back of the Iron Eel, ALADIN, with access to more supplies, quickly rigs up a fish dissuader, discouraging them from taking a bite at him as he rides on the back of the Iron Eel, ready to attempt to shatter the hull of one of the drow ships once it started to move.

Show

Rolled an animal handling of 13 in the rolls channel.

Last edited by Archmage1; 2024-02-26 at 07:31 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss