New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Bel's RHoD: Chapter 1 [IC]

Novalis is offered his own personal sympathetic smile as Ringel slides closer to Tanna so that she can squeeze her shoulder (was that her wounded shoulder? Hopefully not her wounded shoulder) gently. And it's not like you have to watch either. There's a lot of us, we'll cover your shifts and all that. If you want us to. she says, as though she had a say in it. Well, she might, but if she really snores as bad as they say, someone will eventually kick her awake early anyhow.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thankfully Jorr was able to find a cabin to give them all some shelter from the downpour which may or may not summon more hydras.

Telrayel asked Jorr if a fire may attract hydras or other unpleasant things in this forest too and if the woodsman deemed it safe, Telrayel made one to dry his and the clothes of others.

I'll take the second part of the watch then, I don't need as much rest as the rest of you.

Telrayel was a bit anxious in the hut, he would have preferred a dry place outside but finding one in this rain may prove more difficult than besting the hydra from before. He settled in a corner, made himself as small as possible, his belongings at his side and sleeps.

If it's his time to take over watch Telrayel keeps the fire going and try's to find anything unusual that may threaten the hut.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Taking the second watch. Rolls for that.
    Listen: (1d20+12)[17]
    Spot: (1d20+12)[16]
    Search: (1d20+11)[22]
    Survival: (1d20+10)[22]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

DAY 2
    Weather: Sunny
    Time: Early morning

Blackwater Causeway - Hunters lodge

As night falls and the party settles into the old ranger's hut, the relentless rain gradually gives way to a gentle drizzle. The dense canopy and persistent cloud cover have obscured much of the sky throughout the evening, but as the night deepens, a brief break in the clouds offers a rare glimpse of the starry sky.

Suddenly, one of you notices a particularly bright star moving swiftly across the sky—it's not just any shooting star; it's exceptionally bright, trailing vibrant red and gold. Known locally as the "Hunter's Star," such celestial phenomena are often viewed as omens signifying the presence of significant and dangerous creatures in the region—a harbinger of formidable challenges ahead.

Jorr, stepping outside with you, notices your interest in the phenomenon. "Ah, the Hunter's Star," he remarks gruffly, his eyes following the fiery trail across the sky. "Folk around here say it's a bad omen, heralding the awakening of powerful beasts. Makes sense with what's been going on."

As you all watch the star pass through a rare constellation known as the Manticore's Crown, Jorr shares a piece of local folklore. "That constellation there, the Manticore's Crown, is said to appear when a creature of great ferocity is on the prowl. It’s an old tale, but who's to say there isn't truth to it? Especially on a night like this."

The sight of the Hunter's Star crossing through the Manticore's Crown instills a sense of foreboding, and Jorr suggests, "Best keep a sharp watch tonight. Tales or not, we don’t want to be caught off guard. We'll need to be ready for anything at Vraath Keep."

As the break in the clouds closes and the heavens are once again veiled by the night, the group feels a renewed sense of caution and readiness. Jorr advises preparing for the possibility of encountering something formidable, given the ominous signs.

"We’ll discuss our approach to Vraath Keep at first light," Jorr concludes, turning back towards the shelter of the hut. "For tonight, rest up but stay alert. Tomorrow, we might need all the strength and cunning you can muster."

The rest of the night passes with an air of heightened vigilance, the tale of the Manticore's Crown echoing in your minds as you contemplate the challenges that lie ahead.

Spoiler
    Show

Order of march, select spells and other things.
    Anything special, or just as Jorr how to get there?
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-04-22 at 03:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Telrayel also took a look at the star phenomenom. He was pretty impressed with Jorr that he wasn't only a capable hunter and tamer of beasts but could also see the future in the stars. Telrayel wasn't acquainted with that way to see into the future. Some knowledgeable elves could see the future in the way the wind blew or how certain animals reacted, he did took the prophecy with all the gravitas it entailed.

An old beast was awakened, it also was on the hunt. Telrayel knew how to survive but the lore of beasts had eluded him due to his inner restlessness. He hoped that Jorr would stay with them when they encountered this old beast, surely he would know what to do.

When they awakened, Telrayel asked Jorr what would the best approach towards the keep be, how much he thinks it could be scouted out and how much of it would be reclaimed by nature.

Show
    Instead of his irrate scouting pattern, Telrayel would just circle the group when they're going towards the keep.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Before she allowed herself to fall into uneasy sleep, Tanna-Mai used the last charge of her healing belt. True, her bedroll could help heal the rest of her injuries with a good night's rest, but the mage was already paranoid and on high alert what with Jorr's eerie talk of bad omens in the stars.

[roll]2d8[/roll] Last charge is for...

In the morning...

"I can -- I can assist with scouting. If, like, ya want." Tanna-Mai nervously piped up. "I mean, I'm good at bein' stealthy too and I can pick up with my mind if there's intelligent threats ahead of us. 'Bout fifty feet ahead. OH! And, like, I can talk in your heads without actually opening my mouth! 'Bout a hundred feet there...."
    Last edited by Cygnia; 2024-04-25 at 06:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186

I'm told I'm also very stealthy! Ringel raises a proud index finger. …for an Ogre. Which… Might mean I'm not very stealthy. she deflates somewhat. I think I'll be here with Jorr as yesterday. she points at the ground besides the grumpy ranger. Speak into my mind if you need me to hit something. Or a lift. Or anything. I'm kinda very curious how that works now. she admits. Could that mean that Tanna hears her thoughts? That would be wild.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Novalis washes his face with the water accumulated in the tiles of the shelter. He feels fresh and rested, even if his ribs are sore and there's a nasty wound on his left shoulder where the Hydra bit him hard and right through the bones. What he didn't feel anymore, was elated.

Talking inside my head? Novalis looks playfully at Tanna Mae You'll find quite the company right there.

My eyes are sharper than my sword, but anyone with soft steps can sneak on me with ease. Let's move as a group, and when we see the fortress, circle if from a distance. I have the means to see from above while the more skillful scout the perimeter. We should stay close, in any case. Tanna Mae could be the intermediate link. Jorr, can we trust your dogs to be silent?

Having said that. He rose and called on his shadow armor. The voices were quiet this morning. That was ominous.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

DAY 2
    Weather: Cloudy
    Time: Late Morning

As dawn breaks, the air is cool and misty, with tendrils of fog still clinging to the lower branches of the dense forest trees. The weather remains overcast, casting a somber gray hue over the landscape, which seems to mirror Jorr's increasingly grim mood.

"You lot ready then?" Jorr grumbles as he checks his gear one final time. His tone suggests impatience, perhaps sensing the looming troubles ahead. With a curt nod, he gestures for you all to follow and leads the way out of the ranger's hut and back onto the forested path that will take you towards Vraath Keep.

As you trudge through the underbrush, the path becomes muddier and more obscured. Jorr sets a brisk pace, clearly eager to cover ground but also visibly on edge. "Keep your eyes peeled and your weapons ready," he warns without looking back. "This ain't no stroll through the park. We're heading into the belly of the beast, and those hobgoblin bastards are not known for their hospitality."

The atmosphere is tense, and the dense woods around you seem to close in, the silence punctuated only by the distant call of a raven or the rustle of leaves. After several hours of marching, Jorr's irritation begins to show more openly.

"Dammit, keep up! And keep it down," he snaps when a branch snaps loudly under someone's foot. "You want to announce our arrival to every cursed scout in these woods? Because that's how you do it."

Approaching a small forest ford—Jorr's mood darkens further. He scans the area, his eyes narrowing. "This is a known patrol area. We could have hobgoblin scouts around any bend. Stay sharp."

Crossing the ford proves challenging; the water is colder than expected, and the crossing is slippery. Once on the other side, Jorr doesn't pause for long. "No time to dry off. We need to keep moving." He pauses for just a moment, muttering under his breath, touching each one of you as you leave.

The path to Vraath Keep grows increasingly perilous, and Jorr's curses become more frequent and colorful. "If you lot don't start moving with some purpose, I swear to the gods—"

Suddenly, he stops, holds up a hand for silence, and crouches low. "Patrol ahead," he whispers harshly. "Get down, and for the love of—stay quiet!"

Peering through the brush, you can see a pair of hobgoblin scouts mounted on worgs moving parallel to your path, about a hundred yards away. Their presence confirms Jorr's warnings: you are now in enemy territory, and every step forward is fraught with danger.

"Let 'em pass," Jorr instructs, his voice barely audible. "If we're lucky, they won't circle back this way for a while."

As the hobgoblin patrol moves out of sight, Jorr leads you forward, his irritation now mixed with a grudging respect for the seriousness of your mission. "Alright, we're close now. Vraath Keep is just beyond that ridge. Get ready for anything. And I mean anything."

The final approach to Vraath Keep is cloaked in tension, the group moving silently under Jorr's terse guidance, every sense alert for the next challenge.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-04-30 at 12:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

9. - Top - End - #189

Ringel keeps nodding vigorously at Jorr's back as they are drilled even more vigorously by the old man along the road. Apologetically, too. She's supposed to be faster, as in much faster than him; but sneaking speed hardly lets that shine through much. When, naturally, that stupid bough still ends up snapping loud as a hit from a catapult (which is to say, loud as she imagines a hit from a catapult would be; Ringel has about as clear a notion what that sounds as anyone from the Gap: not really), she even mouths a Sorry. at their irate guide, her offending foot hanging high in the air. She really needs to stop barging about like she owned the place, even if she does kinda own the place. Maybe. Or a nearby place anyhow.

Jorr's little spellwork comes as a much needed reprieve accordingly. She could have done that herself, actually. She's an Eneko! She should have done that, really. It's too bad she's very not made for sneaking. TANNA! she tries to think at Tanna-Mai hard. CAN - YOU - HEAR - ME -THINK? IF WE'LL HAVE TO KEEP DOING THIS IN SO MUCH SILENCE, MY HEAD WILL EXPLODE! she complains, quite possibly to her own addled mind. But one can hope, right?
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-04-30 at 01:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ringel...looked weird. Like she was constipated and Nothing Was Coming Out. Actually, worse than that. Like that one turd that just balanced itself perfectly out of your butthole and wouldn't go any further no matter how hard you bounced around in the privvy.

"Are you all right?" Tanna-Mai whispered to Ringel in concern (and blissfully ignorant of the fact that she forgot to mention that she was the one who had to initiate the telepathy).

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Novalis let the others lead the way in the morning. Jorr and Telrayel were much better equipped to deal with whatever lied in the forests.

The brief distraction of Ringel and Tanna Mae hilarious interaction drew a smile, but the danger ahead was nothing to be ignored lightly.

After the hobgoblin patrol missed them and their scent, Novalis was grateful that Jorr's dogs were disciplined and the. Once they were close to the keep. Novalis stopped.

We need eyes ahead, let me see if I can find anything interesting.

Spoiler: Bend Perspective
    Show
    When we are close to the keep, I'll use Bend Perspective to have a bird's view (a low flying bird) 40' up for 6 minutes, as we approach, switching between my perspective and the bird's Spot (1d20+14)[29]

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    "Are you all right?" Tanna-Mai whispered to Ringel in concern (and blissfully ignorant of the fact that she forgot to mention that she was the one who had to initiate the telepathy).
    Ringel lets her shoulders droop and makes a very sad face; but nods and bodily, she looks a lot less bothered by… Whatever it was that bothered her.

Unlike Knight Novalis's weird… Ventriloquist mumblings(? Ringel was never quite sure how he's producing those little snippest of almost-sounds), all her internal wails of anguish remain woefully internal.

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    We need eyes ahead, let me see if I can find anything interesting.
    At the prospect of getting a clearer idea of, well, mostly anything they are to face once their approach is all but complete, the Ogre's nods become more enthusiastic. Still, as Knight Novalis begins to just stare, the doubting doubt creeps in there. Unable to keep her mouth closed any longer, Ringel leans really close to Tanna-Mai's closest ear. Do we, um… Do we know what he's doing there?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

DAY 2
    Time: Late Morning

As you channel the magic of Bend Perspective, your vision ascends away from your body, soaring upwards and transforming into the keen-eyed perception of a low-flying bird. The dense forest of the Witchwood opens beneath you, revealing the stoic, crumbling stones of Vraath Keep set against the backdrop of the rolling Wyrmsmoke Mountains. The late afternoon sun bathes the ancient fortress in a golden light, accentuating its quiet desolation.

From your new vantage point, 40 feet in the air, you gain a clear overview of the Keep's structure. The main gate is battered and the heavy doors are splintered, remains hanging on their hinges, clearly showing signs of past conflicts. The walls, while sturdy, bear scars of battles long finished. No signs of current habitation are visible, lazy smoke rises from a few chimneys, and an eerie silence envelops the area.

As you continue your silent, circular patrol above, a particularly chilling sight catches your eye: two giant skeletons sprawled near the broken remnants of the keep's northern wall. These massive bones, remnants of creatures long dead, lay tangled in the overgrowth, their origins and the tales of their demise lost to time.

Your bird's-eye view also reveals a hidden path, overgrown and shadowed, winding towards a less guarded side entrance of the keep. This path offers a stealthy approach, away from the main thoroughfares and out of direct sight.

Your vision gently returns to your own eyes as the magical perspective ends, leaving behind the vivid details of Vraath Keep's layout and the mysterious, unmoving skeletons.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-05-02 at 10:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

OH Time! the beautifier of the dead,
    Adorner of the ruin, comforter

And only healer when the heart hath bled—

Even giants died, and their bones whitened under sun and shade.

The only sign of ocupation is the smoke from the chimneys, but the ruins of the walls are not manned and the barbican hosts only the massive bones of past battles.

He looks at Ringel.

My friend, it seems others of your kind once fought within these walls.

Then he indicates the way towards the hidden path.

Telrayel, I think it is your time, there's a hidden entrance, but my eyes from above are not as reliable as your elven senses and wit

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Telrayel was not a stranger to walking in the woods, but even the elf made some mistakes that Jorr called out, it was understandable, Telrayel was not the warden of these woods as Jorr clearly was and he probably knew every tree, every stone and every bone in this forest.

When the patrol passed them Telrayel stood there, unmoving like a rock, it was good that they could avoid a battle for once.

Ringel seemed to be in particular pain, probably because she couldn't or wasn't allowed to communicate, the elf squeezed her shoulder reassuringly, but couldn't do much more. And it was nice to have a bit of calm.

When Novalis did... Something and told about a secret passage the elf just nodded silently and followed the knights commands, trying to find the hidden path the somber knight was talking about.

Show
    Search: I guess I can take ten for 21 or (1d20+11)[24] if not.
    Spot: I guess I can take ten for 22 or (1d20+12)[22] if not.
    Move silently: If I can take ten 25 or (1d20+15)[18] if not.
    Also Survival: (1d20+10)[28] for tracks, +2 if they are orcs.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2024-05-02 at 03:15 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

DAY 2
    Time: Morning

You move like a hunting cat through the underbrush, making your way swiftly to the spot, it was as Novalis had described, a small trail led to the southern wall of the keep, barely there. It was impressive he had even seen this trail, but from his perspective, it must have been more obvious, for this was unused, and had been for a long time.

Nestled beside the crumbling silhouette of a once-imposing tower at the southern end of Vraath Keep, a significant breach in the ancient stone walls presents a silent testament to the structure’s storied past. This gap, large enough for several people to pass through side by side, appears as though it could have been caused by some violent force, perhaps a siege engine or natural decay accelerated by the elements.

The breach itself is bordered by jagged edges of stone, with the remnants of the wall showing layers of erosion and mossy overgrowth that speaks to years of neglect. Bits of fallen masonry litter the ground near the opening, interspersed with creeping vines and weeds that have taken root in the moist, dark earth created by the shadow of the tower.

The tower itself, standing ominously near the breach, shows signs of structural failure; its upper sections are partially collapsed, creating a jagged profile against the sky. Despite its dilapidated state, the tower’s lower portions remain daunting, with dark, empty window sockets and an aura of desolate abandonment. The roof has a large hole, as if a boulder had smashed through it, evenstill, something seems to be moving, a flickering light shimmers inside, but in the sunlit morning it is hard to tell.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The elf lurked towards the breach in the walls, wide enough to let the party through, he nods to himself, gives the tower a bit of a longer look and then leaves the ruinous breach behind for now.

Appearing at Novalis side Telrayel tells the others the following: I have found the breach and a good way towards it, I'm sure we can all get through. The elf thinks for a moment. The breach is besides a tower, I think someone has taken refuge in there. What about we all go towards the breach and... Telrayel eyes the group and his gaze lands on Tanna-Mai. Tanna-Mai and me go up there, try to find what's shuffling around and you others take care should an alarm be raised? I'm sure we can both get out if they is more in there than we can handle.

Telrayel wasn't experienced in warfare but he was a hunter, bringing down a leader before others could avoid further battles if necessary.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Hearing her name, Tanna-Mai immediately perked up. Here was a chance to earn her spot in the party -- to prove she could be useful at her job.

"On it!" She piped up eagerly, then looked over at Ringel. Suddenly, in the ogre-kin's head, Ringel could hear Tanna-Mai's echo-y voice ~*I'll be back in no time -- promise!*~

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

Tanna-Mai
    F LN Human Beguiler5/Mindbender1//Warmage 3, Level 6//3, Init 2, HP 48/48, Speed 30
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, Fort 6, Ref 4, Will 7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Hand crossbow +1 (300) +5 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
    Silvered MW dagger +2 (1d4-1, 19-20/×2)
    Short Sword +1 +2 (1d6, 19-20/×2)
    Least Crystal of Adaptation Mithral Shirt +1 (+5 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 16
    Condition Endure Elements (from Least Crystal of Adaptation)

Reliable Courier (Message Delivery): Your character's reputation as a reliable messenger is well-known in Drellin's Ferry and beyond. You have advantage on Charisma checks when dealing with individuals who are aware of your courier services. This reputation opens doors to valuable information and opportunities in your adventures.

Treasure Seeker (Vault of Vraath Keep): Having stumbled upon the old map hinting at the hidden vault in Vraath Keep, your character has a keen eye for deciphering cryptic clues and an insatiable thirst for treasure. Once per day you can cast detect secret doors as a spell like ability.

Mindsight: A creature that has this feat can detect and pinpoint beings that are not mindless ( 50ft range intelligent mobs only) within range of its telepathy. This works much like blindsense--the creature knows what square each thinking being is in, but it does not see the being, and the being still has total concealment unless the creature can see it by some other means. The creature also perceives several observable characteristics about each being detected with mindsight, including the being's type and Intelligence score. The creature need not take any additional or special actions to gain this information; it is as obvious to mindsight as the being's race and clothing would be to eyesight.

19. - Top - End - #199

The idea of the place being decoreated with dead Giants helps the whole ownership business make an ever so slightly more sense; what it doesn't help with is Ringel's general mood. The sudden onset of fully functional head-to-head communication, however, is quick to remedy that bit as well. Oh! I THOUGHT IT WASN'T WORKING BECAUSE I KEPT TRYING TO TALK INTO YOUR HEAD AND YOU NEVER ANSWERED AND I'M SO GLAD IT WAS JUST ME DOING IT WRONG; BUT YOU SHOULD DOUBLE-CHECK IF I'M WRONG BECAUSE THIS IS AWESOME AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY WE WEREN'T USING THIS EARLIER AND… she begins to flood the unsuspecting mage's mind with still rather overloud ramblings; even Ringel is fairly quick to realize, nevertheless, that telepathy might make no sound as such, but takes just about as much time as actually speaking. Be safe, you two. she meely pulls both members of the scouting team into a big hug just on this side of the crushing sort. We'll be right behind you. Or, I mean, at any rate, close by.