Power - Invisibility: [roll1]
    Specialty - Covert: [roll2]
    Doom Dice: (2d6)[7]
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Day of the Octopus OOC

Okay so quoting dice rolls seems to screw them up in the quote? That's irritating.

EDIT: And I forgot we DO have a Dice Roll thread and it looks like there's been a couple Opportunities, so I'll roll the extras there. Sorry!
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2023-11-11 at 05:12 PM.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Okay so quoting dice rolls seems to screw them up in the quote? That's irritating.

EDIT: And I forgot we DO have a Dice Roll thread and it looks like there's been a couple Opportunities, so I'll roll the extras there. Sorry!
    I don't know that you should ever need to roll dice for opportunities. I mean, if you roll some in a roll to create an asset, and you're going to roll the doom pool, you can probably assume that I'll give you a plot point and add a die to the doom pool, but if there are opportunities in the doom pool, there wouldn't be any effect until your next roll (they don't give dice that go back into the action roll).
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    I don't know that you should ever need to roll dice for opportunities. I mean, if you roll some in a roll to create an asset, and you're going to roll the doom pool, you can probably assume that I'll give you a plot point and add a die to the doom pool, but if there are opportunities in the doom pool, there wouldn't be any effect until your next roll (they don't give dice that go back into the action roll).
    Okay cool, thank you!

EDIT:
    Went over the explanation again, now that I have my roll results I need to select the effect die and results. So it would be 8+7 from Affiliation – Solo and Specialty – Covert and the Invisibility d10 for the effect die. How do I know if I need to step the effect die down?
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2023-11-11 at 08:32 PM.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think Loki will try to help with inflicting emotional stress on Electro. Would it be possible to include Sorcery in the pool for Loki lacing his words with a bit of magic to increase Electro's anger? Maybe conjuring images of his many defeats at the hands of Spider-Man?
    Last edited by Lexiconjurer; 2023-11-12 at 04:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

DammitVictor, did you want to use your Lying in Wait asset with that attack?

Quote Originally Posted by Lexiconjurer View Post
    I think Loki will try to help with inflicting emotional stress on Electro. Would it be possible to include Sorcery in the pool for Loki lacing his words with a bit of magic to increase Electro's anger? Maybe conjuring images of his many defeats at the hands of Spider-Man?
    I think that would be okay for a stunt if you want to spend a plot point, but I don't think you can use sorcery in a pool to inflict stress directly (the book is pretty specific about that).

If you want to create an asset using your sorcery (to help Hercules or yourself later), you could definitely do that. But I think I'd want it to lean more toward an illusion (which could be visual or audial) then the somewhat more abstract lacing words with magic.

Also, as two general notes to everyone:

1. Please feel free to fish for experience points. I think Sleeper should have received 1 XP for investigating the incident, for example, and... maybe also Hercules for boasting of his exploits? But if you guys remind me when you're hitting your milestones, you will probably get more XP than if you just hope for me to notice.

2. When you make your rolls, please mention which dice you're using for the total and which for the effect. You can change your mind if you get to add more dice for an asset or even if you just change your mind before I go, but I do think that the declaration needs to come with the action roll (so that the reacting player will know what they're reacting to).
    Strolen's Citadel

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

DammitVictor, did you want to use your Lying in Wait asset with that attack?
    I wanted to, but I clearly forgot about it and there's not really any way I could use it to improve the roll I got... if you wanted to be really[ generous, you could either let me keep the Asset on my next Action (by saying Kaine is still hidden), or you could refund the Plot Point I spent to include Swingline in the roll, and say that was just me using up my (also d8) Asset.

I'm also perfectly content writing it off, since I did forget to use it and it can't really benefit the Action I forgot to use it on.

I do appreciate the reminder. I'm clearly getting rusty.

edit: Also 1 XP from Penitent Hunter.
    Last edited by DammitVictor; 2023-11-12 at 12:36 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, as two general notes to everyone:

1. Please feel free to fish for experience points. I think Sleeper should have received 1 XP for investigating the incident, for example, and... maybe also Hercules for boasting of his exploits? But if you guys remind me when you're hitting your milestones, you will probably get more XP than if you just hope for me to notice.
    Noted on the character sheet.

Also, in that case I’m going to preemptively ask: once Sleeper officially joins this fight, will that count towards the milestone, ‘When you barge into a fight in progress’? 🐟
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by DammitVictor View Post
    if you wanted to be really[ generous, you could either let me keep the Asset on my next Action (by saying Kaine is still hidden), or you could refund the Plot Point I spent to include Swingline in the roll, and say that was just me using up my (also d8) Asset.
    How about we say that the asset is used up, but that you used it to not "reveal yourself" when you attacked? That is, they won't attack Kaine on my turn because they're confused.

edit: Also 1 XP from Penitent Hunter.
    Sounds good.

Also, in that case I’m going to preemptively ask: once Sleeper officially joins this fight, will that count towards the milestone, ‘When you barge into a fight in progress’? 🐟
    Since you could plausibly be coming here just to rescue hostages, and you're not really "with" these other guys yet, I will say, "Yes, that counts," but only if you refrain from making any attacks until the real fighting (as opposed to hurling insults and picking people off from the roof) starts. Dealing with hostages or other scenery until then is fine.
    Strolen's Citadel

10. - Top - End - #40

Alright, so, Hercules, note that you've gotten a plot point from me activating your opportunity. Also, there was an opportunity in Electro's reaction roll against Loki. So, I think, Loki, you can activate that if you like.
    Strolen's Citadel

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll pass on the opportunity. Odds are good I might get complicated out by Mysterio here as I realize I don't have many ways to counter tech-based illusions 😅

12. - Top - End - #42

I'll pass on the opportunity. Odds are good I might get complicated out by Mysterio here as I realize I don't have many ways to counter tech-based illusions 😅
    Well, maybe your friends on the inside will keep Mysterio busy.
    Strolen's Citadel

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

On that subject, did I successfully make my Asset last round, and can I safely assume Sleeper can see the people in the bank now (at least the hostages and the bad guys - since Kaine is/was hiding and he hasn’t run into symbiotes before so he’s not going to have a codex)?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

On that subject, did I successfully make my Asset last round, and can I safely assume Sleeper can see the people in the bank now (at least the hostages and the bad guys - since Kaine is/was hiding and he hasn’t run into symbiotes before so he’s not going to have a codex)?
    Yes, you did. Based on your rolls, it should be a D10 asset. It's good for one roll unless you spend a plot point (in which case it lasts for the rest of the scene).

Edit: Missed the second part of the question. Yes, you can see the others in the bank (Mysterio and the thugs - Electro has gone outside).
    Last edited by Thane of Fife; 2023-11-14 at 09:32 PM.
    Strolen's Citadel

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kaine's going to give away his position to attempt to have a conversation with Mysterio.

edit: Unless, of course, we determine that someone else goes first and Kaine has to improvise.
    Last edited by DammitVictor; 2023-11-15 at 04:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I kind of figured Loki and Herc would be going first, since they’re the ones actively under attack, but I don't have a preference, I don't think my plan depends on anyone else.

But if it matters, my tentative plan for Sleeper is:
    • Make a webline from the window to the ground outside (only on the outside of the building – no point in giving the bad guys a free escape route)
    • While still invisible shapeshift into Sue Storm in case it becomes necessary to interact with the hostages during their rescue (reasoning being she's a known hero so no one will panic if she pops out of thin air to rescue them - unlike a carnivorous alien goo monster - and I believe it was mentioned the Fantastic Four are still active)
    • Use ‘invisible force fields’ (actually invisible symbiote goo) to cover the hostages and carry them up the wall to the window, where they can climb down. Multiple trips if necessary, prioritizing anyone that looks like they can be snatched unnoticed

Of course I reserve the right to modify this plan if, for example, Hercules collapses the building or something similarly disruptive occurs.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2023-11-15 at 07:36 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Kaine's going to give away his position to attempt to have a conversation with Mysterio.

edit: Unless, of course, we determine that someone else goes first and Kaine has to improvise.
    If you just want to talk, you can do that in addition to whatever else you might want to do. If you want to wait and make sure nobody else is counting on you sneaking up on Mysterio, that's fair, but otherwise, you can just start talking in the IC thread.

While still invisible shapeshift into Sue Storm in case it becomes necessary to interact with the hostages during their rescue (reasoning being she's a known hero so no one will panic if she pops out of thin air to rescue them - unlike a carnivorous alien goo monster - and I believe it was mentioned the Fantastic Four are still active)
    Most superheroes are still active, it's just that the Fantastic Four are the only big name team that still regularly works together.

I'll hold off on comments on the plan for the moment.
    Strolen's Citadel

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think I'm going to have Hercules charge straight to Electro after grabbing some tires from the police to try and subdue him with physical stress.
    I think the roll would be 1D10 for being with a buddy, 1D8 for police presence, 1D10 from combat master, and either adding a die from superhuman leaping or godlike strength depending on how far electro his.
    The roll seems a bit strong, I might have miscalculated or tried applying to many things to a fairly simple attack roll.

I believe I have 1xp, Maybe 0 stress, 0 assets, and 1 plot point for rolling a 1 for the praise Shocker roll.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    I think I'm going to have Hercules charge straight to Electro after grabbing some tires from the police to try and subdue him with physical stress.
    I think the roll would be 1D10 for being with a buddy, 1D8 for police presence, 1D10 from combat master, and either adding a die from superhuman leaping or godlike strength depending on how far electro his.
    The roll seems a bit strong, I might have miscalculated or tried applying to many things to a fairly simple attack roll.

I believe I have 1xp, Maybe 0 stress, 0 assets, and 1 plot point for rolling a 1 for the praise Shocker roll.
    I think you should have two plot points (you start with one), and you should make reaction rolls against Electro and Mysterio to see if you have any stress/complications.

Also, Hercules should have a strong dice pool here - he's a pretty powerful hero and punching things is something he's good at. I would definitely say that you can use your Godlike Strength, and you should also include a D8 for Electro's emotional stress. But if you want to weaken your roll, you could switch your distinction to a D4 (maybe you can't fight as effectively because you're trying to protect the police or because you're trying to make sure the news crew get your good side) and get another plot point for it. But that would also make you less likely to deal stress to Electro.
    Strolen's Citadel

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry for going quiet! Got a nasty cold that made the last couple days miserable.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for going quiet! Got a nasty cold that made the last couple days miserable.
    😟 Hope you’re feeling better!
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Yes, hope you're feeling better.

On Loki's reaction roll, this won't change the result, but I'm still not sure about including Sorcery in that dice pool. Possibly I am undervaluing the power, but I'm hesitant to allow directly into a pool like this because casting a spell that does X could easily justify anything. If you're actually defending against magic or a magical being, that's one thing, but otherwise, I think I'd prefer that if you want to cast a spell, it needs to be created as an asset. I'm willing to be talked into changing my mind on that.

Also, all, I'm expecting to spend more time with family over the coming Thanksgiving week, so while I'll do my best to keep up the pace, you might see my posting slow down a bit.
    Strolen's Citadel

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, all, I'm expecting to spend more time with family over the coming Thanksgiving week, so while I'll do my best to keep up the pace, you might see my posting slow down a bit.
    Perfectly understandable, enjoy your turkey and family time! 😃
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, hope you're feeling better.

On Loki's reaction roll, this won't change the result, but I'm still not sure about including Sorcery in that dice pool. Possibly I am undervaluing the power, but I'm hesitant to allow directly into a pool like this because casting a spell that does X could easily justify anything. If you're actually defending against magic or a magical being, that's one thing, but otherwise, I think I'd prefer that if you want to cast a spell, it needs to be created as an asset. I'm willing to be talked into changing my mind on that.

Yeah, feeling much better now thankfully!

I'll try to avoid using Sorcery then. But I'll still spend the PP, even without the Sorcery, I should have enough to succeed on the reaction.

25. - Top - End - #55

Okay, so I think Hercules picks up a D12 Mass Confusion complication from Mysterio (base D8 stepped up twice for being beaten by 10). I will also give you 3 more plot points to step 3D6 from the doom pool up to D8 (which will thus be at 2D6, 4D8). He probably can't attack Mysterio directly because Mysterio is still in the bank and is not visible to Hercules.

As for Sleeper, that plan seems ok except that you probably can't evac people out the window you came in (they would be exiting into the middle of Mysterio's illusion and into an area where Electro's throwing lightning bolts - they won't go). If you can think up somewhere else to send them, you can make and roll a dice pool against the doom pool - let's say that for each D8 effect die you can get, you can evacuate a third of the people.

Also, can Sleeper disguise himself as Sue Storm? I would have thought he would be constrained by his host's mass (and that Tel-Kar would be bigger than Sue Storm).
    Strolen's Citadel

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

As for Sleeper, that plan seems ok except that you probably can't evac people out the window you came in (they would be exiting into the middle of Mysterio's illusion and into an area where Electro's throwing lightning bolts - they won't go). If you can think up somewhere else to send them, you can make and roll a dice pool against the doom pool - let's say that for each D8 effect die you can get, you can evacuate a third of the people.
    I can’t ‘protect them with my invisible force fields?’ (Since I deliberately picked a window out of sight of the police cordon at the entrance and Sleeper would have seen the mooks if they were real mooks made invisible beforehand rather than holograms?)

In that case what can Sleeper see as far as the other exits? (I know you mentioned some for Kaine, but can Sleeper see them?) Where are the hostages in relation to the doors, and how is the room set up in general (furniture or other cover, placement of mooks)? Are the hostages wearing gas masks too? (I doubt knocking them out and carrying them to safety would be a good strategy at this point, but if they start to panic mid-rescue it might be a better solution than letting them run into the line of fire.)

Also I would like to throw down the webline outside anyway (Sleeper put it down before finding out it would be useless or whatever) as its meta-game purpose is to provide a clue for Kaine on the off chance Sleeper manages to spend the entire mission invisible or in disguise - since Kaine’s going to know he didn’t put a webline there, and that obviously isn’t one of Sue’s powers.

Also, can Sleeper disguise himself as Sue Storm? I would have thought he would be constrained by his host's mass (and that Tel-Kar would be bigger than Sue Storm).
    So glad you asked! 😄 I was planning to incorporate a ‘space and/or extra dimensional environment suit’ to disguise the extra bulk (and height - Tel-Kar’s kinda tall, so there will likely be some clunky-looking boots on this ‘environment suit’). Possibly drop a comment about just getting back from the Negative Zone and not having time to change, if questioned.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looks like Sleeper and Kaine are running two mutually exclusive plans to get the hostages out-- I'm okay with his plan being a contingency if my plan fails, or my plan acting as a distraction while he sneaks the hostages out.

I think Kaine should be able to smell Sleeper by now-- two extraterrestrial organisms, hospital disinfectant-- but I'm not going to assume that's the case until Sleeper or Watcher confirms.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Kaine should be able to smell Sleeper by now-- two extraterrestrial organisms, hospital disinfectant-- but I'm not going to assume that's the case until Sleeper or Watcher confirms.
    Google tells me “An odor is a chemical molecule light enough to be swept around by the environment” and Sleeper’s been hanging out with Daredevil for the last month or so, ergo I’m inclined to think he’s had some practice hiding his scent, HOWEVER I would think the open window and resulting breeze would be detectable by Kaine’s super senses? So he should still be able to figure out something is up.

I will defer to the Watcher though.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

[...] and Sleeper’s been hanging out with Daredevil for the last month or so, ergo I’m inclined to think he’s had some practice hiding his scent [...]
    I was thinking the Chemokinesis might allow to cover up your scent-- basically by just emitting more molecules of the existing ambient scents to cover your scent. It would eventually tell Kaine that something's up... but not before you've revealed yourself on purpose, and it would keep Kaine from recognizing your ET origins, again, until you felt like disclosing them.

Gwenompool (ugh) actually pulls this off well enough to fool most human senses, but Murdock saw (smelled) right through her attempts-- but, as you've said, you have a lot more practice and practice specifically dealing with superhuman senses.

30. - Top - End - #60

I can’t ‘protect them with my invisible force fields?’ (Since I deliberately picked a window out of sight of the police cordon at the entrance and Sleeper would have seen the mooks if they were real mooks made invisible beforehand rather than holograms?)
    So glad you asked! 😄 I was planning to incorporate a ‘space and/or extra dimensional environment suit’ to disguise the extra bulk (and height - Tel-Kar’s kinda tall, so there will likely be some clunky-looking boots on this ‘environment suit’).
    If this is the plan you want to go with, go for it. I'm a little skeptical that it would work, but you've got the powers, so you can go ahead and roll for it - I won't apply any circumstance penalties or anything.

In that case what can Sleeper see as far as the other exits? (I know you mentioned some for Kaine, but can Sleeper see them?) Where are the hostages in relation to the doors, and how is the room set up in general (furniture or other cover, placement of mooks)? Are the hostages wearing gas masks too? (I doubt knocking them out and carrying them to safety would be a good strategy at this point, but if they start to panic mid-rescue it might be a better solution than letting them run into the line of fire.)
    Sleeper can see what Kaine could see before. I didn't think about it before, but probably there should also be some elevators to get up to higher floors.

The room is a large bank. There's all the furniture you might expect in a bank (some seats, a counter for customers to use to write checks or whatever, a counter for the tellers), as well as some pillars around the room and a statue/fountain near the center of the large room. The general layout of the bank shouldn't really matter, but in my mind, I'm imagining the main entrance and some windows on the south wall, the hostages along the west wall (and some windows higher up), the tellers' desk and entrance to the vault on the north wall, and the elevators and entrance to the offices on the east wall. I was imagining Sleeper as coming in through a window maybe a couple of floors up, high enough to not really be noticed, rather than finding some window on the ground floor that the police couldn't see.

The hostages aren't wearing gas masks.

The thugs are at the windows, looking out (and in some cases shooting out) at the police. Mysterio is closer to the middle of the room. Nobody is paying that much attention to the hostages.

Google tells me “An odor is a chemical molecule light enough to be swept around by the environment” and Sleeper’s been hanging out with Daredevil for the last month or so, ergo I’m inclined to think he’s had some practice hiding his scent, HOWEVER I would think the open window and resulting breeze would be detectable by Kaine’s super senses? So he should still be able to figure out something is up.
    I would say that, if for some reason, Sleeper needed to sneak past Kaine (or Wolverine or Sabretooth or someone), it would certainly be reasonable to use his powers to try to conceal his scent, but in a case like this where it doesn't really seem worth it to roll for it, I'd give it to Kaine, because hiding your scent is sort of a stunt off of chemokinesis, whereas Kaine's senses are the whole point of his power (but I'm also willing to go with whatever you two decide between you).

Kaine doesn't have any skill in Cosmic, though, so he may not be able to place the more alien scents.
    Last edited by Thane of Fife; 2023-11-20 at 09:51 PM.
    Strolen's Citadel