New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Day of the Octopus OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    I think Hercules just failed to resist Mysterio's illusion but did resist Electro's lightning. I don't know what failing to resist Mysterio's illusion will inflict.
    Herc was outside the area of effect for the illusion, that just hit Kaine and Sleeper.

EDIT:

At the risk of screwing up the post cadence again by editing instead of double-posting, how does this look for the resist?

Affiliation – Solo: d8
    Distinction – Spawn of Venom: d8 – still fighting a Spider-man villain.
    Power(s): None
    Specialty – Covert: d8
    Complication/Stress – d12 Physical Stress on Mysterio (You said earlier this lasted until recovered, so I’m assuming Kaine can use this too – also yell if I’m using this wrong.)
    Asset – None
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-01-12 at 09:08 PM.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    At the risk of screwing up the post cadence again by editing instead of double-posting, how does this look for the resist?

Affiliation – Solo: d8
    Distinction – Spawn of Venom: d8 – still fighting a Spider-man villain.
    Power(s): None
    Complication/Stress – d12 Physical Stress on Mysterio (You said earlier this lasted until recovered, so I’m assuming Kaine can use this too – also yell if I’m using this wrong.)
    Asset – None
    I think it should be Team because the attack was aimed at all of you, even if it didn't even come close to Hercules. Sleeper isn't "on his own" anymore.

Also, while I didn't say anything before, I'm not sold on that justification for Spawn of Venom. I wouldn't give Spider-Man bonus dice fighting Mysterio just for having fought him before, and that would be firsthand. If you were exploiting something secret, then that might be different.

But yes, you are correct that the stress is "permanent" and both you and Kaine can exploit it.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    I think it should be Team because the attack was aimed at all of you, even if it didn't even come close to Hercules. Sleeper isn't "on his own" anymore.
    I'm confused now, I thought we had to be integrating each other into the roll somehow to count it? (EX: like if we were in a fight with the goons, we'd be covering each other's backs to 'resist' the attack, or like using Loki's illusion counted as him helping?)

Also, while I didn't say anything before, I'm not sold on that justification for Spawn of Venom. I wouldn't give Spider-Man bonus dice fighting Mysterio just for having fought him before, and that would be firsthand. If you were exploiting something secret, then that might be different.

But yes, you are correct that the stress is "permanent" and both you and Kaine can exploit it.
    Okay.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124

I'm confused now, I thought we had to be integrating each other into the roll somehow to count it? (EX: like if we were in a fight with the goons, we'd be covering each other's backs to 'resist' the attack, or like using Loki's illusion counted as him helping?)
    It's mostly a fiction thing. You could think of it as whether you're helping each other out or getting in each others' way. There doesn't have to be direct mechanical inclusion of the others (in some way, the point of the affiliation is to represent that to a degree). But if there is mechanical inclusion, you can't not include the people helping you.

You can't roll an affiliation that's "too small" for the help you are mechanically receiving, but there are cases where you should roll an affiliation that's "too big" because it abstracts some lower level of teamwork.

Not sure if that helps any.
    Strolen's Citadel

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Affiliation is a little weird to me since distance could be a factor but superpowers like superspeed, teleportation or telepathy can easily bypass long distances. Remote work and meetings bypass distance too.
    How much the actions taken are meant to work in tandem to accomplish a goal also seems to be a factor. But even the amount of cooperation intended could change very quickly. Say Spiderman wants to cross a hazardous area on his own so he creates a hang glider out of webbing for himself to navigate the dangerous terrain but one of his friends comes up with an alternate way to use it such as using it to barter with some aliens who can grant them safe passage for the whole group.

I like the idea of affiliation and I think making someone roll with something other than a solo affiliation when using an asset from someone else is a good rule of thumb. Also using underlying collaboration to determine affiliation sounds good too.

Anyway, I will be having Hercules making a "clear line of sight" asset with a thunderclap based on his godlike strength to help someone out.
    Playing as Hercules in Marvel Cortex Game
    Playing as Jakk'ari in WOW M&M
    Playing as Dr. Kalispell Hagerty in SCP M&M
    Playing as Tavaris in the Crystal Cult

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

I’m not sure, I was just hoping for a rule of thumb I could use to tell when I need which affiliation. But I’ll go with Team for now.

So it sounds like I should, for example, have Sleeper jump up to the wall to help redirect the ‘rubble’ from the ‘damage’ as the resist roll? Rather than just doing the dice equivalent of ‘I disbelieve!’?
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-01-15 at 06:00 PM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127

So it sounds like I should, for example, have Sleeper jump up to the wall to help redirect the ‘rubble’ from the ‘damage’ as the resist roll? Rather than just doing the dice equivalent of ‘I disbelieve!’?
    I would probably say that the resist roll can be just a "I disbelieve," but it's probably worth trying to frame it like it's a comic book. So failing might mean that you turn your back on Mysterio (letting him run away or hit you from behind or something, perhaps), whereas succeeding might mean that you look away for a moment, but are ready for him to try something.

I'll try to come back to the affiliations question, but as a rule of thumb, I'd lean towards, "Go with the number of people you're actually with unless you're specifically doing something to separate yourself from some of them or connect yourself to more of them."
    Strolen's Citadel

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

I would probably say that the resist roll can be just a "I disbelieve," but it's probably worth trying to frame it like it's a comic book. So failing might mean that you turn your back on Mysterio (letting him run away or hit you from behind or something, perhaps), whereas succeeding might mean that you look away for a moment, but are ready for him to try something.
    Okay so something like:

Affiliation – Team: d6
    Distinction – Hostages: d4
    Power(s): Superhuman Reflexes d10 – so if he tries to attack/run for it Sleeper would be like ‘Not so fast!’ and flip Mysterio onto the ground/trip him as apropriate
    Complication/Stress – d12 Physical Stress on Mysterio
    Asset – None

That work?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129

Okay so something like:

Distinction – Hostages: d4
    Power(s): Superhuman Reflexes d10 – so if he tries to attack/run for it Sleeper would be like ‘Not so fast!’ and flip Mysterio onto the ground/trip him as apropriate
    Asset – None

That work?
    Superhuman Reflexes wouldn't always be right for something like this, but it seems fine here. So yeah, that looks good.
    Strolen's Citadel

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Superhuman Reflexes wouldn't always be right for something like this, but it seems fine here. So yeah, that looks good.
    Rolled in the Dice thread. That'll be a 16/d10 to resist, no hitches.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131

Do you think we've lost DammitVictor, or do you think they're still having tech troubles?
    Strolen's Citadel

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you think we've lost DammitVictor, or do you think they're still having tech troubles?
    I'm not sure. It doesn't look like he's posted recently, but as bad as the forums have been lately that might not even be due to personal tech issues. I know I haven't posted as much due to same.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133

DruidGuy

I think this game has been lost in the shuffle for DammitVictor. Activity has been slowed by the holidays and forum service issues. I am sending a reminder to DammitVictor.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm here. I've been checking the forums fairly regularly, but I don't think it's "my turn" to say/do anything IC and I just haven't had anything to add OOC. If I've been holding up the game, please let me know what you nees from me.

15. - Top - End - #135

DruidGuy

It is a bit harder to be decisive and there is a little less urgency to post quickly without some sort of initiative system. Forums are good for facilitating roleplaying but can struggle with crunchy and rules intensive mechanics.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DammitVictor View Post
    I'm here. I've been checking the forums fairly regularly, but I don't think it's "my turn" to say/do anything IC and I just haven't had anything to add OOC. If I've been holding up the game, please let me know what you nees from me.
    I believe we’re waiting on your resist roll for Mysterio’s illusion.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

I think it's correct that we're looking for a resist roll for Kaine, but also, in general, I think it is the heroes' turn in general here. And that includes Kaine.
    Strolen's Citadel

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's correct that we're looking for a resist roll for Kaine, but also, in general, I think it is the heroes' turn in general here.
    Unless someone objects, I think Sleeper is going to continue whaling on Mysterio for this round.

Distinction – Youthful Arrogance: That’s two illusions Beck has whiffed, Sleeper can take this guy easily! (Not sure if it should be a d8 or a d4 for that.)
    Power(s): Klyntar Symbiote – Superhuman Strength: d10
    Specialty – Combat: d8
    Asset – None
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-01-25 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

Unless someone objects, I think Sleeper is going to continue whaling on Mysterio for this round.

Distinction – Youthful Arrogance: That’s two illusions Beck has whiffed, Sleeper can take this guy easily! (Not sure if it should be a d8 or a d4 for that.)
    Power(s): Klyntar Symbiote – Superhuman Strength: d10
    Specialty – Combat: d8
    Asset – None
    That's fine with me, at least. The distinction could go in either direction - it depends on if you want the higher die or the plot point. But if you take it as a bonus here, I'd probably expect you to take it as a penalty if Electro shoots you in the back while you're attacking Mysterio (you'd still get the plot point for that).
    Strolen's Citadel

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

14/d12 on the attack die against Mysterio.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Okay, I'm going to move this one forwards tomorrow whether we have an action from Kaine or not. Hopefully we will, but this has to get moving.
    Strolen's Citadel

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I'm going to move this one forwards tomorrow whether we have an action from Kaine or not. Hopefully we will, but this has to get moving.
    Okay. If he doesn’t show can I burn another point to try and hit Electro too, and hopefully get us closer to finishing the fight before it can grind to a complete halt? My die rolls are kind of middling for it but we’re running out of players. 😕
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143

Okay. If he doesn’t show can I burn another point to try and hit Electro too, and hopefully get us closer to finishing the fight before it can grind to a complete halt? My die rolls are kind of middling for it but we’re running out of players. 😕
    Yes, you can absolutely do that. Your rolls look fine for it. You've got a total of 14 and it looked like effect dice of D10 and D12.

I'm going to try to get posts up, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the forum tonight.
    Strolen's Citadel

24. - Top - End - #144

Alright, I made the dice rolls, assuming that Sleeper is spending the plot point.

Sleeper has a total of 14 with D10 and D12 effect dice.
    Hercules has a total of... I'm gonna say 13 with a D10 effect die. For future reference, when you use versatile to split your dice, we need the separate results (that's rollv instead of roll).

The doom pool resists Hercules with a total of 10 and a D6 effect. So Hercules creates a D10 Cleared the Air asset.

Mysterio gets a 12 to resist Sleeper, and Electro gets an 8. Those are both failures to dodge. You beat Electro by 5 so you can step up the stress against him by 1 level. Since Mysterio is already at D12, you might as well put the D10 against him, which will step his stress up above D12 and knock him out. That would leave the D12 against Electro, and since that is stepped up, it's enough to knock him out, too.

Since that takes out all of the bad guys, that will end the fight. It is up to Sleeper if he wants to inflict Trauma on Electro and/or Mysterio or just stress them out. Inflicting trauma would basically mean that they take 1D6 of longer-lived stress. And if they end up taking too much trauma they would die (you die or are otherwise "permanently" incapacitated if trauma of any sort goes above D12).

Since that will end the fight, you can describe how you knock them out, and then you guys can do any talking or poking around that you want to do.
    Strolen's Citadel

25. - Top - End - #145

DruidGuy

Cool, I didn't know the villains were so close to being subdued. I will post soon.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am sorry. Do we still need my reaction roll, or can we just say that I wasted Kaine's action and try to get back into rotation next turn?

27. - Top - End - #147

I am sorry. Do we still need my reaction roll, or can we just say that I wasted Kaine's action and try to get back into rotation next turn?
    You can skip the reaction roll at this point, but with the bad guys out, combat should be over. So you can just act freely now.
    Strolen's Citadel

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Mysterio gets a 12 to resist Sleeper, and Electro gets an 8. Those are both failures to dodge. You beat Electro by 5 so you can step up the stress against him by 1 level. Since Mysterio is already at D12, you might as well put the D10 against him, which will step his stress up above D12 and knock him out. That would leave the D12 against Electro, and since that is stepped up, it's enough to knock him out, too.

Since that takes out all of the bad guys, that will end the fight. It is up to Sleeper if he wants to inflict Trauma on Electro and/or Mysterio or just stress them out. Inflicting trauma would basically mean that they take 1D6 of longer-lived stress. And if they end up taking too much trauma they would die (you die or are otherwise "permanently" incapacitated if trauma of any sort goes above D12).

Since that will end the fight, you can describe how you knock them out, and then you guys can do any talking or poking around that you want to do.
    Oh wow, I figured at least one of them would have dodged that…this isn’t going to do anything good for Sleeper’s ego. 😂

I’m thinking Mysterio should get Trauma but not Electro. My logic is that from Beck’s perspective a foe he could barely see just landed two very solid hits in quick succession, came after him and him alone, tanking two of his illusions designed to misdirect said foe in the process.

From Electro’s perspective he was throwing around lighting bolts and then his ally unexpectedly flew screaming at his face, knocking him out. Embarrassing, but not the stuff that nightmares are made of, and with Beck’s glass chin he’s not as physically fragile either.

Speaking of, is the Trauma physical, or emotional or does it depend on how the stress was inflicted?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

Oh wow, I figured at least one of them would have dodged that…this isn’t going to do anything good for Sleeper’s ego. 😂

I’m thinking Mysterio should get Trauma but not Electro. My logic is that from Beck’s perspective a foe he could barely see just landed two very solid hits in quick succession, came after him and him alone, tanking two of his illusions designed to misdirect said foe in the process.

From Electro’s perspective he was throwing around lighting bolts and then his ally unexpectedly flew screaming at his face, knocking him out. Embarrassing, but not the stuff that nightmares are made of, and with Beck’s glass chin he’s not as physically fragile either.

Speaking of, is the Trauma physical, or emotional or does it depend on how the stress was inflicted?
    The trauma is physical, so it could be a character having a limp or a broken arm or something like that. It's based on the type of stress dealt.

Note also that an attack doesn't have to be literally one attack. It could be Collossus picking up one guy and using him to hit someone else, or it could be Cap wading into a group of Hydra goons and taking them out in a flurry of punches.

Edit: Also, is Sleeper fading into visibility as himself or as Sue Storm?
    Last edited by Thane of Fife; 2024-02-02 at 07:56 PM.
    Strolen's Citadel

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

The trauma is physical, so it could be a character having a limp or a broken arm or something like that. It's based on the type of stress dealt.
    Okay, so broken bones then.

Note also that an attack doesn't have to be literally one attack. It could be Collossus picking up one guy and using him to hit someone else, or it could be Cap wading into a group of Hydra goons and taking them out in a flurry of punches.
    Okay, thank you! I’ll keep that in mind.

Edit: Also, is Sleeper fading into visibility as himself or as Sue Storm?
    As Sue for now. He’ll drop the disguise if called out on it, now that the hostages are safe, otherwise he’ll probably look for an excuse to bail and go brag to Night Nurse over the successful mission, since I don’t think Sleeper knows Sue well enough to impersonate her under extensive questioning.

EDIT:
    DammitVictor I think this:
    "Maybe now you'll stop listening to that Jameson character. See, he's just like Spider-Man!"
    Was your cue to 🐟 for some XP, as I don’t believe you’ve reached that Milestone yet. If I’m misremembering just ignore this.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-02-05 at 05:51 PM.
    Show