New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Day of the Octopus OOC

Are you guys willing to jump to Hercules' post-fight party? Is that a thing you are interested in going to, Sleeper and Kaine?

Second, Kareeah_Indaga, I don't think I'm inboard with Sleeper being able to inject thoughts that specific into people's heads. General feelings of fear or agreement or something is reasonable, but I have a hard time believing Sleeper's chemokinesis is functionally telepathy.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    Are you guys willing to jump to Hercules' post-fight party? Is that a thing you are interested in going to, Sleeper and Kaine?
    Yeah, I was planning to do that before I had the vision. I haven't quite settled on the excuse he's going to use for doing something so... out of character... but basically he needs to start making some changes and maybe having healthy friends is one of them,

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Sleeper is sufficiently roped in by the fact that it would look weird (and by extension break his cover) if he bailed right now, so yes Sleeper is going and I’m fine with jumping to the party.

(And he will of course be staying as far away from loud music as possible. 😉)

Second, Kareeah_Indaga, I don't think I'm inboard with Sleeper being able to inject thoughts that specific into people's heads. General feelings of fear or agreement or something is reasonable, but I have a hard time believing Sleeper's chemokinesis is functionally telepathy.
    ??? I mentioned this was a thing during character creation. He uses his chemical powers to talk to Eddie during First Host.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    ??? I mentioned this was a thing during character creation. He uses his chemical powers to talk to Eddie during First Host.
    I don't remember that but okay, I'm probably just forgetting. I do see what you're referring to on the Marvel Wiki. I confess I'm still a little iffy on it being usable as a form of direct telepathic mind control (as opposed to telepathic communication), but if you think that's how it should work, fair enough.
    Strolen's Citadel

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

I am ready to move the scene to Hercules' party. Hercules having a party after a win is something he would do if nothing else needed to be attended to.
    Playing as Hercules in Marvel Cortex Game
    Playing as Jakk'ari in WOW M&M
    Playing as Dr. Kalispell Hagerty in SCP M&M
    Playing as Tavaris in the Crystal Cult

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also ready.

7. - Top - End - #157

Since we're switching to a transition scene, those of you who have stress (I think that's just Hercules) can step each type of stress down by one (for example, D10 to D8). You can also take recovery actions during the scene to further recover from stress (you don't need to do that right now), but you're limited to one attempt per type of stress (however, depending on how things work out, you can get help from others).
    Strolen's Citadel

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Since we're switching to a transition scene, those of you who have stress (I think that's just Hercules) can step each type of stress down by one (for example, D10 to D8). You can also take recovery actions during the scene to further recover from stress (you don't need to do that right now), but you're limited to one attempt per type of stress (however, depending on how things work out, you can get help from others).
    Sleeper took a D8 of Physical from that trap at the beginning, so I'm assuming that's a D6 now.

And I will start plotting some chemokinetical ways for Sleeper to help reduce stress.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159

DruidGuy

I don't know exactly how much mental stress Hercules took in the battle. I do know he picked up 1D12 of confusion. I assume plot points go back to starting values after a scene change.

Spoiler: Hercules statsus?
    Show
    Stress: 1 Mental Stress = 1D_?
    Complication: D12 Mass Confusion?
    Assets: None
    Plot Points: 13
    XP: 1/10
    Last edited by Plaids; 2024-02-18 at 09:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    I don't know exactly how much mental stress Hercules took in the battle. I do know he picked up 1D12 of confusion. I assume plot points go back to starting values after a scene change.

Spoiler: Hercules statsus?
    Show
    Stress: 1 Mental Stress = 1D_?
    Complication: D12 Mass Confusion?
    Assets: None
    Plot Points: 1
    XP: 1/10
    The confusion is gone. That was just a complication and Hercules is out of the confusing situation. I thought Hercules got hit by a lightning bolt at one point, but it looks like I was misremembering. Only Sleeper has stress, then.

As for plot points, they reset on an Act basis, not a Scene basis, so you still have the points you ended the last scene with. And the doom pool is likewise at the same level that it ended the scene at.
    Strolen's Citadel

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DammitVictor View Post
    OOC: I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here, but I very much do not want Kaine to avoid the reporter, and I couldn't think of any other logical way for him to fail.
    No issues here!

But on that note, I do need to apologize to Plaids if Sleeper’s upcoming bout of suicidal overconfidence ends up getting the Lions’ Chorus set on fire or otherwise damaged.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162

DruidGuy

No problems here. I wasn't expecting these events, but I am interested in what happens next.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

I want to ask a couple questions:

First, do we still have the Distinction for Amelia Blaine and Crew, since they came along to the after-battle party? I’m pretty sure I can justify Suicidal Overconfidence Youthful Arrogance for trash talk (“I’m not afraid of you Johnny Storm! You’re not my mom you don’t get to tell me what to do!”), but for future reference.

Second, if we get into a physical fight and I want Sleeper to try to knock someone out with sleep gas, would that be Physical Stress, a Complication or does it depend? (And I don’t just mean for this encounter, I mean in general. It’s his name, it’s going to come up sooner or later!)

No problems here. I wasn't expecting these events, but I am interested in what happens next.
    👍
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164

I want to ask a couple questions:

First, do we still have the Distinction for Amelia Blaine and Crew, since they came along to the after-battle party? I’m pretty sure I can justify Suicidal Overconfidence Youthful Arrogance for trash talk (“I’m not afraid of you Johnny Storm! You’re not my mom you don’t get to tell me what to do!”), but for future reference.
    Let's say that the party crowd in general is a distinction, but not them specifically - Amelia is still there, but the crew isn't really "on the job."

Second, if we get into a physical fight and I want Sleeper to try to knock someone out with sleep gas, would that be Physical Stress, a Complication or does it depend? (And I don’t just mean for this encounter, I mean in general. It’s his name, it’s going to come up sooner or later!)
    The book says:

"Physical stress is bodily injury, exhaustion, the effects of toxins or chemicals, and so forth.

Mental stress is confusion, lack of concentration, mental fatigue, and the results of telepathic assault.

Emotional stress is despair, fear, anger, or any number of negative emotional states."

So I would say, yes, that is normally physical stress. It could be portrayed as a complication if it was less "you're exhausted" and more "you want to go home and take a nap," maybe.
    Strolen's Citadel

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's say that the party crowd in general is a distinction, but not them specifically - Amelia is still there, but the crew isn't really "on the job."

The book says:

"Physical stress is bodily injury, exhaustion, the effects of toxins or chemicals, and so forth.

Mental stress is confusion, lack of concentration, mental fatigue, and the results of telepathic assault.

Emotional stress is despair, fear, anger, or any number of negative emotional states."

So I would say, yes, that is normally physical stress. It could be portrayed as a complication if it was less "you're exhausted" and more "you want to go home and take a nap," maybe.
    Thank you!

I should have rolled Menace as 2d8 and spent a Plot Point to create a 'Hostile Crowd' Asset.
    Want me to give making the Asset a try, or double down on the emotional damage?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think making the Asset is the best way to shut Johnny down before this turns into a fight.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought about accusing them of being Skrulls ‘No I’m the real Sue Storm and you two are the impostors!’ …but I’m pretty sure if I put off Sleeper’s in-game reveal to the other PCs much longer the Watcher will send someone Thanos-tier next.

I think making the Asset is the best way to shut Johnny down before this turns into a fight.
    I'll do that then.

How does this look?

Affiliation – Buddy: 1d10
    Distinction – Youthful Arrogance: 1d8
    Power(s): Klyntar Symbiote – Chemokinesis: 1d10
    Specialty – Menace: 1d8
    Complication/Stress – None
    Asset – None

Not sure if I can invoke the SFX: Chemicals for this?

Also what does the Doom Dice pool look like right now?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168

Alright, so I'm cutting things off before an actual fight can develop. If we get back to fighting after the interruption, that's fine, but I will at least provide the opportunity to let events overtake you.

Also, since you guys haven't really been pointing out when you should get XP, I will say that Kaine should have received one for choosing to inflict physical stress on Mysterio (he missed, but he still chose to do it, as I recall), and Hercules should have gotten one for revelry.

Also also, if anyone wants to tweak their character or milestones at this point, I'm open to that - it's still early, but now you have a bit more feel for the system. In particular, I recently picked up the Civil War sourcebook for the game, which does have a stat block for Hercules. It's actually very similar to the one we came up with, but you might like either or both of these milestones in place of what we wrote. Totally up to you (and you can keep the XP you've already earned regardless).

Spoiler: Milestones
    Show

Contests of Strength
    1 XP when you joyously congratulate an opponent for a blow that inflicts physical stress on you.
    3 XP when you engage in a contest of might against another character with GODLIKE STRENGTH and prevail.
    10 XP when you fight a foe who wields a D12 from one of their Power Sets without accepting any help from your allies, or admit that you cannot defeat this foe with your own Zeus-granted strength and accept your ally's aid.

Immortal Friendship
    1 XP when you declare another character a true friend and companion.
    3 XP when you help your ally recover from emotional or mental stress through food, drink, and fellowship.
    10 XP when you avenge a fallen comrade or take trauma in avenging your comrade's fall.
    Strolen's Citadel

19. - Top - End - #169

DruidGuy

Some of these milestones look good. I might change some of my milestones around.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

"What? I thought you and Loki brought her to the party.
    Since the logic for Sleeper ending up at the Lion’s Chorus was never spelled out, how do we want this to have gone?

• Kid!Loki peer pressuring the Klyntar symbiote (having recognized same thanks to his ranks in Cosmic and the hints dropped during the bank fight) to come to the party knowing chaos is a likely outcome
    • Member of the press being stubbornly clingy (‘Just a few short questions Miss Storm…!’)
    • Herc dragging Sleeper along (‘I really need to go see what’s keeping Reed and the others…’ ‘Just come have a few drinks, I’m sure they’ll turn up!’)
    • Something else?

Also the Lion’s Chorus is a bar, yes?

Alright, so I'm cutting things off before an actual fight can develop. If we get back to fighting after the interruption, that's fine, but I will at least provide the opportunity to let events overtake you.
    Sounds good!

I probably shouldn’t have been antagonizing Johnny but sneaking out would have delayed the official team up and I figured the press and other witnesses would keep things from getting too bad.

Also also, if anyone wants to tweak their character or milestones at this point, I'm open to that - it's still early, but now you have a bit more feel for the system.
    I think I’m good with Sleeper’s, I just need to actually sit him down and have him look someone over and go ‘Hmm, this person would/would not make a good host because…’

(Side note, Sleeper is going to reject the other PCs as potential permanent hosts for obvious OoC reasons. I apologize if the IC reasons are somewhat arbitrary.)
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Since the logic for Sleeper ending up at the Lion’s Chorus was never spelled out, how do we want this to have gone?
    If it helps, when I say "party", I mean the fight in the bank. Kaine thinks Sleeper was working with Herc and Loki all along, which is why he thought Hercules would know who "she" was, and presumably why "she" was pretending to be Susan Richards.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

If it helps, when I say "party", I mean the fight in the bank. Kaine thinks Sleeper was working with Herc and Loki all along, which is why he thought Hercules would know who "she" was, and presumably why "she" was pretending to be Susan Richards.
    Thank you for clarifying, I thought you meant the after-battle party.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173

Also the Lion’s Chorus is a bar, yes?
    I think Plaids said it was a brewery.
    Strolen's Citadel

24. - Top - End - #174

DruidGuy

The Lion’s Chorus is a brewery which can act as an open floor bar if needed.

As for Hercules knowing about Sleeper's identity; Hercules was completely fooled by Sleeper's disguise. Though Loki probably saw through it. I would certainly be in favor of Loki incentivizing Sleeper to make more public appearances by saying something like "You're not the only purveyor of false appearances. I know what you are. Come to the festivities if you want to keep your status quo."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Plaids said it was a brewery.
    The Lion’s Chorus is a brewery which can act as an open floor bar if needed.
    Thank you!

I would certainly be in favor of Loki incentivizing Sleeper to make more public appearances by saying something like "You're not the only purveyor of false appearances. I know what you are. Come to the festivities if you want to keep your status quo."
    I think it would need to be less of an obvious threat or it becomes more of a reason for Sleeper to spray tear gas everywhere rather than less. The disguise, in and of itself, is not that important to Sleeper - he’s a shapeshifter, he can make a new one. He grabbed Sue’s form because it was useful for the situation in the bank, not because he wants to masquerade as Sue Storm indefinitely.

🤔 What about something like…

“Ah, Miss Storm, so pleasant to speak to someone else who hast recently came from the stars. Thou must explain to me some of these Midgardian customs, so often things are not as they seem!”
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-02-29 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Midgard, not Earth
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176

DruidGuy

I agree, having Loki be knowledgeable of Sleeper's disguise and showing genuine interest in fraternizing with another master of disguise would worker better than him being hostile and threatening to Sleeper.

27. - Top - End - #177

Loki had to run off before you could get to the brewery, but one could probably imagine him apologizing to the public for his disappearance by offering up Sue/Sleeper as another illusionist (or such) - something that could apply to Sue, but would apply better to Sleeper; that would be an opportunity to show off being the smartest guy in the room and also pull a small trick on Sleeper.

As for Sleeper, where is he going? The video itself is old enough that the villains will be long gone. It's certainly possible Sleeper just reacts and runs out without realizing that, but I don't want to assume that's what you meant if you were planning something else.
    Strolen's Citadel

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Loki had to run off before you could get to the brewery, but one could probably imagine him apologizing to the public for his disappearance by offering up Sue/Sleeper as another illusionist (or such) - something that could apply to Sue, but would apply better to Sleeper; that would be an opportunity to show off being the smartest guy in the room and also pull a small trick on Sleeper.
    Perfect! Meanwhile Sleeper is feeling a little uneasy wondering if he’s reading too much into what Loki’s saying, and then has all the eyes of the press on him so he can’t sneak off.

As for Sleeper, where is he going? The video itself is old enough that the villains will be long gone. It's certainly possible Sleeper just reacts and runs out without realizing that, but I don't want to assume that's what you meant if you were planning something else.
    Sorry, with the ‘breaking news’ and the short timeframe between the fight and the party I thought the video was live (or recent enough to act on, anyway).

…so I guess Sleeper does too. He’s still rushing off, he’s still headed to the scene of the breakout, he just won’t be stealthily generating any Assets for another superhuman smack-down while the rest of the heroes catch up.

EDIT:
    To be clear, I have no objections to Hercules being the Big Distraction instead, especially as he’s less likely to draw bullets.

Also, my comp died on me so apologies if it affects my posting while I get that repaired/replaced.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-03-09 at 06:22 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179

DruidGuy

Just checking in. I like the recent character banter.

30. - Top - End - #180

Just checking in. I like the recent character banter.
    Yes, I've slipped a bit, sorry.

Could I get a roll from Kaine against the doom pool, using whatever you feel is appropriate for your tracking the Rhino?
    Strolen's Citadel