New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Day of the Octopus OOC

Ok, so I rolled a 9/D6 for the doom pool against Kaine's 14/D10. So, Kaine will track them down to the abandoned construction site they're holing up in. You may use that D10 to create an asset for the next scene - that could be that you arrive undetected and set up an ambush, or get the high ground, or find some useful construction equipment or something. It's up to you, but we'll say it's a D10 asset.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can I define the Asset after you describe the scene?

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by DammitVictor View Post
    Can I define the Asset after you describe the scene?
    Alright, I've tried to give a scene description in the IC thread without going into too much detail, in order to leave you some flexibility. If there's something particular you're looking for, let me know.
    Strolen's Citadel

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

If we can get close without revealing any traps, I'd like to call the Asset Got the Drop d10 and spend the Plot Point to allow all of us to make use of it in the first panel. Also, if anyone else wants to act first, Kaine is going to hang back and listen to them for a minute first.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Feel free to act before me.
    Playing as Hercules in Marvel Cortex Game
    Playing as Jakk'ari in WOW M&M
    Playing as Dr. Kalispell Hagerty in SCP M&M
    Playing as Tavaris in the Crystal Cult

6. - Top - End - #186

If we can get close without revealing any traps, I'd like to call the Asset Got the Drop d10 and spend the Plot Point to allow all of us to make use of it in the first panel. Also, if anyone else wants to act first, Kaine is going to hang back and listen to them for a minute first.
    That sounds fine to me, but see the IC post.
    Strolen's Citadel

7. - Top - End - #187

Sleeper, Hercules, do either of you two want to act now with Kaine or wait for the moment?
    Strolen's Citadel

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry, I forgot to nominate next.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    Sleeper, Hercules, do either of you two want to act now with Kaine or wait for the moment?
    My assumption had been that the purpose of spending the plot point on Got the Drop was so that we could surprise the bad guys all at once. That said if I was mistaken let me know!

(Also since Kaine made himself known, even if it’s just Otto and Max and the rest of their merry band is out using the loo, he’s outnumbered presently.)

Question: does any of the Stress Electro (and Mysterio, but as he hasn’t spoken up yet I’m assuming he’s Schrödinger's Supervillain right now and can’t be targeted) got from the bank fight carry over to this one?
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190

Sorry, I forgot to nominate next.
    I figured we were sticking with the all one side, then all the other thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    My assumption had been that the purpose of spending the plot point on Got the Drop was so that we could surprise the bad guys all at once. That said if I was mistaken let me know!
    Right, and since Kaine is acting now, I wanted to know if you and Plaids wanted to act to go along with that plan.

Question: does any of the Stress Electro (and Mysterio, but as he hasn’t spoken up yet I’m assuming he’s Schrödinger's Supervillain right now and can’t be targeted) got from the bank fight carry over to this one?
    If you get stressed out in a scene, then you start the next scene with either none of that stress but still the trauma you took (if any) or D6 of that stress (if you didn't take trauma). So Mysterio has D6 physical trauma and Electro has D6 physical stress left over.

As for who's here, you can assume that Doc Ock, Electro, Mysterio, Shocker, and Rhino are all available to attack. The sixth member (assuming there is one) and Doc Ock's claimed robot are not apparent yet. But if they make an appearance, I will either spend a die from the doom pool or have them arrive at the end of one of my turns (i.e. Kaine's keen senses would detect them).

As for the scene itself, let's say that there is a scene distinction of Unstable Construction. I am also going to say that, because of this, if there is a D12 in the doom pool on one of my turns, I'm going to spend it and the construction will come crashing down and bury all of you long enough for Doc Ock and his crew to escape.
    Strolen's Citadel

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

If you get stressed out in a scene, then you start the next scene with either none of that stress but still the trauma you took (if any) or D6 of that stress (if you didn't take trauma). So Mysterio has D6 physical trauma and Electro has D6 physical stress left over.

As for who's here, you can assume that Doc Ock, Electro, Mysterio, Shocker, and Rhino are all available to attack. The sixth member (assuming there is one) and Doc Ock's claimed robot are not apparent yet. But if they make an appearance, I will either spend a die from the doom pool or have them arrive at the end of one of my turns (i.e. Kaine's keen senses would detect them).
    Thank you! Now I need to decide if Sleeper should try to take Shocker and his sound gauntlets out first or Electro and his d12’s…

EDIT:
    I think I’m going to go for Electro, I’m not confident the shenanigans I would need to pull on Shocker would be sufficient to take him out of the fight. Better to winnow down the number of bad guys first.

So Sleeper is going to sneak over to Electro and try to inflict Physical Stress via putting him to sleep. How does this look?

Affiliation - Team: d6
    Distinction - Youthful Arrogance: d8 (already took this guy out once!)
    Power(s) - Klyntar Symbiote (Chemokinesis): d10
    Specialty - Covert: d8 (unsure if this should be Covert or Combat)
    Stress/Complication - Physical: d6
    Asset - Got the Drop: d10
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-03-30 at 08:00 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192

So Sleeper is going to sneak over to Electro and try to inflict Physical Stress via putting him to sleep. How does this look?

Affiliation - Team: d6
    Distinction - Youthful Arrogance: d8 (already took this guy out once!)
    Specialty - Covert: d8 (unsure if this should be Covert or Combat)
    Stress/Complication - Physical: d6
    Asset - Got the Drop: d10
    That seems reasonable; it would feel a little more natural to me to use Youthful Arrogance as a D4, but if you want to take it as a D8, that's fine.

Plaids, anything for Hercules? I'm going to push this forward tomorrow if not.
    Last edited by Thane of Fife; 2024-04-01 at 07:36 PM.
    Strolen's Citadel

13. - Top - End - #193

DruidGuy

Sorry for not posting anything recently and not announcing my absence; I was seeing family and the flight back is arriving soon. I will post in twenty-four hours. Feel free to control Hercules for one turn if you want. I have not read the result of Kaine trying to get the jump on Doc Oc but my first idea is to have Hercules rip open a buried water line and douse an opponent, especially if Sandman is in the area.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2024-04-03 at 12:56 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Man, the die-roller really doesn't seem to like these guys. There are a lot of 1's in there - 2 from Doctor Octopus, 2 from Shocker, 1 from Mysterio.
    There’s a lot of that going around.

10/d10 to resist Mysterio, 11/d10 to resist Electro.

That’s a step up on Mysterio’s effect die from Sleeper’s lousy roll, but then a step down for Sleeper’s d10 vs. Mysterio’s d8? Is that correct?

So a d8 of Emotional damage and a d10 of Physical if Electro’s die goes towards stress.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195

There’s a lot of that going around.

10/d10 to resist Mysterio, 11/d10 to resist Electro.

That’s a step up on Mysterio’s effect die from Sleeper’s lousy roll, but then a step down for Sleeper’s d10 vs. Mysterio’s d8? Is that correct?

So a d8 of Emotional damage and a d10 of Physical if Electro’s die goes towards stress.
    The D8 of emotional stress sounds correct. I think I'll put the D10 into the doom pool.
    Strolen's Citadel

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

The D8 of emotional stress sounds correct. I think I'll put the D10 into the doom pool.
    Okay then since Sleeper is still up and Electro’s just firing in his general direction without being able to actually SEE him let’s give him a target to shoot at.

Sleeper’s going to bounce around to put Shocker between him and Electro, then generate some of Mysterio’s gas and blow it into Shocker’s face while he’s focused on Kaine. Sleeper is trying to plant the suggestion that Shocker’s buddies have turned traitor, which should be plausible with Electro throwing lightning bolts in his general direction (and lots of chemicals mucking with his thought processes).

For trying to inflict the Complication ‘False Flag Friendly Fire’ on Shocker:
    Affiliation - Buddy: d10
    Distinction - Unstable Construction: d8
    Specialty - Acrobatic (split): 2d8
    Stress/Complication - None
    Asset: None
    Chemicals SFX: d6 (and step up the effect die)

Might spend the new Plot Point to make it permanent if it hits…more likely bring the building down the way the dice are going.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197

DruidGuy

I will have Hercules attack a Rhino, Shocker, and Mysterio with an area attack by leaping while in a large concrete pipe and rolling around to collide with the villains. Hercules rolling around in a concrete pipe will be similar to a regular man rolling around in a wooden barrel.

Also, does the battlefield have any distinctions?

Action: Physically attacking Rhino, Shocker, and Mysterio with an area attack.
    Spoiler: Dice involved in the attack
    Show
    Affiliation - team: 1d8 - The gang is all here
    Distinction - Glory and Honor: 1d4
    Power(s) - Enhanced Leaping 1d8
    Specialty - Combat Expert 1d10
    Stress/Complication - None
    Asset: None
    SFX: Area Attack (x2) 2d6 - I think only shocker, rhino, and mysterio and within reach of a rolling hercules due to them not being aireborne
    Stunt: 1d8 - Creative twist: Hercules will lift a pipe above his head by its based and leap towards the group of villians. Midflight he will completely enter the pipe. Upon landing he will roll towards the villains, colliding with any who are on the ground. I think Kaine and Sleeper are on elevated scaffolding.

Spoiler: Hercules Status
    Show

Stress: None
    Complication: None
    Assets: None
    Plot Points: 2
    XP: 1/10
    Last edited by Plaids; 2024-04-06 at 02:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    Also, does the battlefield have any distinctions?
    It’s got ‘Unstable Construction’ and I think that’s it presently.

EDIT:
    12/d10 after the SFX boost and no fewer than THREE Hitches for the Watcher. 😫
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-04-07 at 08:05 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199

DruidGuy

If the ones rolled convert to doom I think I will have Hercules try to reduce the doom and use the "Unstable Construct" distinction in the roll.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2024-04-08 at 01:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200

Sorry for my absence - I've been under the weather for the last week and it's been difficult to focus to post. I'll try to get something up soon.

If the ones rolled convert to doom I think I will have Hercules try to reduce the doom and use the "Unstable Construct" distinction in the roll.
    Reducing the doom pool to shore up the construction is fair, but you definitely can't add "Unstable Construction" to your dice pool for that. If anything, it would be going into the doom pool to roll against you.
    Strolen's Citadel

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for my absence - I've been under the weather for the last week and it's been difficult to focus to post. I'll try to get something up soon.
    😢 I hope you’re feeling better!
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202

DruidGuy

Reducing the doom pool to shore up the construction is fair, but you definitely can't add "Unstable Construction" to your dice pool for that. If anything, it would be going into the doom pool to roll against you.
    Take care of yourself and don't rush yourself to return until you feel better.

I thought the "Unstable Construction" meant it would be more conducive to lower doom or subdue enemies through physical means centered around exploiting the construction site to accomplish your goal. Sort of like how the police and news media presence distinction in the bank robbery scene was leveraged to solve the issues at hand.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2024-04-13 at 11:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Everything doing okay? It’s been quiet here.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204

Everything doing okay? It’s been quiet here.
    I'm alive but still not feeling that great. I should have something up within the next two days.

Sorry! Thanks for your patience!
    Strolen's Citadel

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm alive but still not feeling that great. I should have something up within the next two days.

Sorry! Thanks for your patience!
    No rush, just wanted to check. Sorry to hear you’re still sick!
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206

Before I do make a post, is Kaine taking an action somewhere and I missed it? I see his reactions in the die roll thread, but I don't see an actual action from him?

I thought the "Unstable Construction" meant it would be more conducive to lower doom or subdue enemies through physical means centered around exploiting the construction site to accomplish your goal. Sort of like how the police and news media presence distinction in the bank robbery scene was leveraged to solve the issues at hand.
    Using a distinction in your dice pool (as a D8) represents it helping you, not just it being present. And the doom pool sort of represents the chaos and havoc going on around you. So, if the Shocker is blasting girders and threatening to knock down buildings, that's increasing the doom pool, and if the construction is unstable, that could help him do so. If Hercules is trying to shore up the construction, that could be reducing the doom pool (or trying to get rid of the distinction), but the unstable construction would be working against him. You could probably use it as a D4 in your dice pool (which would prevent you from using another distinction as a D8 and make it more likely to roll a 1), which I guess I wasn't thinking of.
    Strolen's Citadel

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

Before I do make a post, is Kaine taking an action somewhere and I missed it? I see his reactions in the die roll thread, but I don't see an actual action from him?
    Are we back to the top of the panel? I'm sorry. I will post something today.

28. - Top - End - #208

Are we back to the top of the panel? I'm sorry. I will post something today.
    We're running with a turn order of (normally)

All PCs act
    All NPCs defend
    All NPCs act
    All PCs defend
    Repeat

So, every time you roll your defenses/reactions you can also take your next action.
    Strolen's Citadel

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

We're running with a turn order of (normally)

All PCs act
    All NPCs defend
    All NPCs act
    All PCs defend
    Repeat

So, every time you roll your defenses/reactions you can also take your next action.
    Okay. I will keep that in mind. I'm still trying to put something together, but my day went tits-up in a hurry after my last post and I am not in a position to make promises. If I haven't posted by the time you see this, please feel free to skip my turn this panel-- Kaine's busy whispering more sweet nothings in Otto's ear because he's realized he doesn't actually want to let go of him or break his neck again, and he hasn't figured out a Plan C.

I'm sorry for the delay of game. I should be able to pull myself back together in relatively short order.

30. - Top - End - #210

DruidGuy

Sounds good. If there is another long break having some backstory or flashback prompts can be used to help fill out the story. The flashbacks, backstory, dreams are usually best when they have some cause-and-effect relation to current events or thematic relation.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2024-04-24 at 10:57 PM.