New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver - Gundren's Ward

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    "Okay-we're going to tie you up so you don't cause trouble," Lonnie tells the goblin captive. "Just behave and it'll be-HEY!" she shouts at Yorrel, running over to try and snatch the goad away. "No! We can get them moving without hurting them!"

When the goading stops, she faces the oxen, casting a short spell. "You two are gonna have to move fast, okay? We'll keep you safe and make sure you get food and water and everything, but right now, we need to book it."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Animal Handling Check:
    [roll0] plus [roll1] from Guidance
    If I can get advantage from having tasty berry snacks, then [roll2] and take the higher one.
    The calming demeanor of a druid quickly calm the oxen. They will be particularly easy to handle for the next couple hours

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    As the fleeing goblin disappears into the woods, Yorrel curses in Goblin herself before turning back to the party.

"That was protecting the caravan," she grinds out at Maria. "You think we can count on this centipede's"–she points at the pinned goblin with her sword–"word that the other vermin will stay in their hole? Now they'll even know what we look like!

"Also, it sounds like they were watching for your guardian and his man. They left before us on horseback, so unless they took some alternate route, the 'black spider' might have them already. We'd better hurry to Phandalin."

She gives the goblin corpses a quick glance for any useful equipment, tugging off a shield in particular if any of them have one, then makes her way back to the wagon, picking up the goad stick to urge the oxen on at a faster pace.

Show
    Perception (if necessary) to see if the goblins have any obviously useful equipment, like shields. No time to rummage in dead pockets.

Perception: [roll0]
    Yorrel finds that the goblins with scimitars (two dead and the one captured) all had their own simple wooden shields. They'll do, but they're not very well made and could easily break if they take too much abuse

Quote Originally Posted by onlie2005 View Post
    Maria's eyes narrow with concern as she starts to suspect that Gundren might be the dwarf the goblin was referring to. Concerned with her guardian's well being Maria says in a more serious and genuinely threatening mannertowards the goblin, "What have you done with Gundrenn? I swear if you have harmed him I will make you pay with your life in the most excruciatingly painful way possible. Where have you taken him?"
    Through the translation, the goblin responds We captured a dwarf and his companion, that's all, I swear by the lash. Rest of the tribe took them all to the cave. Can't say I know what happened from there. The goblin wriggles, uncomfortable in his bindings Klarg doesn't like it when gobs come back from a raid empty-handed and either humies or elves kill me if you leave me here. If I lead you to the cave, you let me go? Never see me again, I'll head east and find a new tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Yorrel hears the conversation as she draws up with the wagon to where the goblin lies captured and bound.

"Oh no," she says. "Miss Maria, you're not going to go charging off into the forest now, are you? We were hired to get you safely to Phandalin. I think Master Rockseeker would want you taken care of first."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Smelkie had also rushed towards the fleeing goblin, trying to make sure he couldnt reach any others for help.
    Seeing it had fled, he walked back to the archer to grab some arrows of of him. He also searches his body, perhaps some loot from te dead horses owners is on him.

Then he walks to the cart and will move it forward if needed, so thats its closer to the rest.

"Lets hit the road, before that runner comes back with his friends"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phyzor View Post
    Smelkie had also rushed towards the fleeing goblin, trying to make sure he couldnt reach any others for help.
    Seeing it had fled, he walked back to the archer to grab some arrows of of him. He also searches his body, perhaps some loot from te dead horses owners is on him.

Then he walks to the cart and will move it forward if needed, so thats its closer to the rest.

"Lets hit the road, before that runner comes back with his friends"
    Smelkie finds twenty black-feathered arrows between the two archers, though it seems your ambushers weren't allowed to hold onto any of the loot
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Colossus in the Playground

"If we want to get Maria to safety, we should stay with her-safety in numbers," Lonnie says. "And we're NOT leaving Gundren at the hands of the goblins!"
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, fine," Yorrel says. "But numbers or not, somehow I doubt he will thank us for letting his ward into that same goblins' den."

She nudges the oxen off the beaten track. "Come on. If we are going off on this chase, let's at least hide the wagon."

Show
    Yorrel isn't great at Survival herself, so she'll provide the Help action if applicable to anyone who tries to camouflage the wagon.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Sigrún Bonegrinder
    Goliath Barbarian 1
    HP: 15/15, AC: 15
    Conditions: None
    Rages: 2/2
    Stone's Endurance: 1/1

"Don't worry about the little flame," Sigrún laughs, "We will keep her safe and, besides, she looks like she has bite!"

With the group in agreement to travel to the cave and find Gundren and Sildar, Sigrún turns to the goblin.

"Then lead the way," Sigrún says in goblinspeak, "Once we're done you had best find a nice quiet home. You wouldn't want to run into me again, would you?"
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

8. - Top - End - #68

Lonnie cants her spell again, and sets about camouflaging the wagon.

Show
    Survival Check, with Guidance and advantage from Help

(1d20+6)[9]
    (1d20+6)[19]
    (1d4)[4]

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

"Don't worry honey, we will save your guardian." - Della says, trying to calm Maria. - "Just promise not to act recklessly once there. It will be easier if we stick together."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maria is not willing to leave Gundrenn in the hands of goblins either. She has already lost family before to evil enemies and she was not willing to do this now now that she had a choice in the matter. Once the wagon is head, there is an air to finality to her judgement and she picks up her backpack and slings it on her back.

"Well I am coming whether you like it or not. As you probably already guessed I am a wizard so I will take the middle part of the marching order with my front and back covered and provide spell support. But I am coming and that is final!"

11. - Top - End - #71

HalflingRogueGuy

Hearing all the discussion going on to either go towards the original destination versus heading to the cave Smelkie has only one thought. "Guess we get a higher reward if we free the boss. I don't know what it is, but i trust this group to be capable enough"

He takes the front of the group while theyre heading towards the cave. Keeping an eye out on anything out of the ordinary or traps the goblin might trick us into.

Show
    Rolls if needed 4 the DM
    (1d20+4)[14] Perception
    (1d20+3)[20] Investigation

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Yorrel and Lonnie deftly hide the cart and ensure the oxen won't wander while you're gone. Then, the goblin leads you north-west. While the goblin seems to point out all the traps as you go, Smelkie is confident the group is following a secret goblin trail and could probably lead the group to and from the cave himself, if pressed. Finally, after about five miles of forest, you come to a clearing, leading to a cliff. A creek flows south, out of a cave mouth at the bottom of the cliff. On the eastern side of the creek (across from you) is a dense thicket, but also the only solid ground to get into the cave. The creek is less that 10 feet across at its widest.

The goblin looks to Sigrún and Lonnie I held up my end. Untie me and I go
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

"Wait, before you go. What can you say to us about the inside of that cave? Any traps or something that we should know about before we go in?" - Della asks the goblin.

14. - Top - End - #74

HalflingRogueGuy

Ask if there any outside patrols we should take into consideration if we want to enter.

Smelkie scans the surroundings for any movement.

Show
    (1d20+4)[7] Perception

15. - Top - End - #75

"Is there anything more we should watch out for?" Lonnie asks as she begins to untie the goblin. "And no more trouble-be a nice person from now on."

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

The goblin shrugs, then points to the thicket There's a lookout in there. They can't really see much, but they can see if you cross the creek and try to get in. Then one more on the bridge in the cave He points to the creek Deeper in the cave is a big pool they can use to flood the creek. Don't be standing in the same part of the cave as the water if they spot you. Washing up down stream is the best you can hope for if they flood it
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

17. - Top - End - #77

Nodding, Lonnie says "Thank you," and then translates the warnings to the rest of the group.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

"Thank you, little guy. Now go and try to be good."

"Well, we should find a way to get across now, possibly while avoiding the lookout." - she says to the others, once the goblin is gone.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

"Those of us who can sneak should just creep around the clearing and kill the first lookout before it can cry out," Yorrel says. "The second one we can worry about once we're inside."

20. - Top - End - #80

"That will not be me-I'm a bit clumsy."

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

I've never had to sneak. Sneaking does no good in the arena.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maria, who has been assessing the situation, says, "Well maybe 6 years ago I might have been able to sneak up on the goblin but not now. Maybe we can create a diversion of some kind?"
    Last edited by onlie2005; 2023-11-14 at 01:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

"A diversion would only give the goblin more reason to sound the alarm," Yorrel points out. "If the runner made it back first, they'll know we're in the forest and took one of theirs captive. They'll be twitchy.

"You don't have to sneak if you can't, Miss Maria. In fact, you should be staying here with the big girls and Myrus to protect you. Two of us can probably kill one goblin quick enough. Smelkie is obviously one. I could go too, but I'm not as good. Maybe if Lonnie gives me a stealth charm. What about you, Della? Can you sneak worth anything?"

24. - Top - End - #84

HalflingRogueGuy

"Yes sure, but I am not going alone. Don't want this side job to kill me in the proces. I do assume that you will come to aid if **** hits the fan rather than run away" He says while intently looking over the group.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Sigrún Bonegrinder
    Goliath Barbarian 1

"I won't be far behind," Sigrún assures Smelkie, "But I am too big to be stealthy so I'll have to remain a short distance away. If you get in trouble I'll be right there beside you before you can say "Oh no I've been spotted!""

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Myrus Hearthgold

Myrus nods in agreement with the others, "As much as I would enjoy going to the cave, stealth isn't my best quality. I'll keep look-out with whoever remains here. My crossbow can reach any danger that appears."

Drawing his crossbow he loads another bolt then keeps it ready while watching the area.

27. - Top - End - #87

HalflingRogueGuy

Smelkie stealthily makes his way towards the tower, he puts some small branches with leaves in his armor and stays as much in the greenery around him as possible. He was destined to do this he says to himself while saying a small prayer silently.
    While on the move he's trying to ascertain where the tower is and more importantly how many goblins are there.

Occasionally he looks behind him to see if the other keep their promise.
    Show

(1d20+7)[19] Stealth
    (1d20+4)[6] Perception

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Sigrún Bonegrinder
    Goliath Barbarian 1

Sigrún will remain sixty feet behind Smelkie, remaining as quiet as she can but close enough that if trouble happens she can dash in and defend the halfling.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth check: (1d20+2)[14]

29. - Top - End - #89

Lonnie stays with the main group, but keeps her eyes peeled for trouble.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Della is galvanized by the fact she's been chosen to carry such an important part of the plan by the younguns. - "Of course, dear. Nobody ever notice us old ladies, I'll tell you that." - she says, before following Smelkie. As she advances, she tries to gather as much informations as she can about the goblin lookout.

OOC

Stealth: (1d20+6)[25]

Perception: (1d20+6)[18]