New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

The old thread is dead! Long live the new thread!

Ionathus will explain:

Do you have a rant you need to get off your chest? A rant about something small? Something so unimportant that you're flabbergasted it's still on your mind? Something that's so bafflingly non-polarizing that you yourself are shocked by your possession of an opinion on the subject?

Well, so do I. Welcome, friend.

Two rules:
    You must share a hot-take. A rant. It's got to be a bold claim and you've got to feel strongly about it.
    Your rant MUST be terminally unimportant. Like, Ryan Gosling's SNL Papyrus sketch levels of unimportant. Bonus points if nobody else can even understand why it upsets you.
    No dissecting other people's rants. Helpful observations or discussion is encouraged, but please don't turn it into a full-on debate! Hopefully these things are already too inconsequential to be worth debating...Yes I a
    Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes Thread 1
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

I approve of the hot take in the title.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Meanwhile I was waffling about coming up with some kind of play on words about inconsequential hot-cakes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Buffets that put condiments in like, bins on a cart instead of in bottles or dispensers and then don't adequately label them are the work of non-denominational adversary figure.

Especially if the cocktail sauce is right next to the ketchup.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Inconsequential hot take: creators of the next thread in line who don't put a link to the new thread in the old thread are still probably lauded for making the new one, but c'mooooon.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Inconsequential hot take: creators of the next thread in line who don't put a link to the new thread in the old thread are still probably lauded for making the new one, but c'mooooon.

I...was...uhhhhh...oh, I know!

I was working under the belief they we aren't supposed to post in threads that went over 50 pages and figured that if a moderator thought a link to the new thread was necessary, they would post the link when they locked the old thread.

Yep, that's definitely it. I didn't forget in the rush to bogart the new thread 5 seconds after I came up with the title
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Disney's version of The Black Cauldron put fantasy movies back at least 20 years. Not, I should note, that it is a bad movie, or even a bad version of the Prydain stories. No, the part where they decided not to go all in with Gurgi's sacrifice was the problem. There is a pot that raises an army of the dead, let the heroic sacrifice actually be a sacrifice.

Also, my local library has a horrible fantasy and science fiction section. I don't think they have anything by Aasimov and probably don't have anything by Heinlein either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

i'm still real sad the whole "Phonebloks" idea never took off.

Basically it was an idea for a "Phone" that was effectively just a circuit-board with various connectors and pins around it, and you purchased the individual parts you wanted to customize your phone, and keep the thing long-term.

Want a phone for making calls and don't care about the camera? Replace the camera for some extra battery space. Use your phone to hold a lot of information? swap out the memmory for something with a bit higher power. Like taking photos? Get a really specialized camera. Want to do all three? Just mix and match the parts you like as needed.

This way you could also do things like just replacing the camera when the camera breaks, instead of needing to buy a whole new phone Or swapping out a touchscreen for a normal screen and some keys if you'd like.

It was a great idea, but unfortunately never took off. Real shame, i hate being forced to throw out otherwise perfectly good electronics just because one small, but important piece of it broke.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2023-11-08 at 11:29 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Roll-cut vegetables are neither more aesthetically appealing nor more convenient to cook than angled discs. Why does this cut even exist?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    Roll-cut vegetables are neither more aesthetically appealing nor more convenient to cook than angled discs. Why does this cut even exist?
    The idea is to form a mouthful-sized mass of vegetable with plenty of surface area. As far as I can make out, they're meant to be roasted. If you're cooking any other way, they're probably the wrong answer.

... well, you asked.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    I'd never heard of these and after looking them up, I immediately have strong opinions about them. Thanks for the new thing to be confused and annoyed about!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    i'm still real sad the whole "Phonebloks" idea never took off.

Basically it was an idea for a "Phone" that was effectively just a circuit-board with various connectors and pins around it, and you purchased the individual parts you wanted to customize your phone, and keep the thing long-term.

Want a phone for making calls and don't care about the camera? Replace the camera for some extra battery space. Use your phone to hold a lot of information? swap out the memmory for something with a bit higher power. Like taking photos? Get a really specialized camera. Want to do all three? Just mix and match the parts you like as needed.

This way you could also do things like just replacing the camera when the camera breaks, instead of needing to buy a whole new phone Or swapping out a touchscreen for a normal screen and some keys if you'd like.

It was a great idea, but unfortunately never took off. Real shame, i hate being forced to throw out otherwise perfectly good electronics just because one small, but important piece of it broke.
    I believe they're designed like that because it makes people have to throw them away
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I believe they're designed like that because it makes people have to throw them away
    Which is also why they kept changing the design of laptop batteries and are now making them non-replaceable, GRrr.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2023-11-10 at 09:42 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Right, and that's terrible and i hate it.

Please just let me fix the camera or whatever else is broken, and let me keep the rest. i do not consent to adding unnecessary pounds of electronic waste to the world when i don't actually need too.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

They're designed like that because it simplifies design, manufacture, and software development for them. Removable parts requires additional mechanisms for attachments, and every clip, pin, slot, latch, or cable you have to use for that eats up space in devices where every millimeter counts and becomes a potential point of failure. Upgradeable or expandable parts means your potential device configurations you have to account for becomes a combinatoric explosion, and future designs either become locked into the restrictions of past design decisions or the 'upgradeability' you sold your customers on doesn't really exist because the CPU, RAM chips, and flash storage cards of two years in the future don't work with the control board you put in the phone today. You'd end up with a more expensive to make, less capable device in pursuit of a feature set/benefit that the vast majority of your potential market doesn't actually care about.

The efficient design also being more difficult to repair and tending to lead people to replace their phones instead of holding onto the old one for extended periods is not the reason for doing that, it's a side effect of the other reasons for doing it. The marketing teams are happy to be able to put 'Thinner! Lighter!' on their brochures, tho.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I love the thread subtitle! I liked some of the suggestions in the last one as well, but the tongue-in-cheek passive aggressiveness of this one fits the subject matter in a way that's just *chef's kiss*

Something I want to touch on from the last page of the old thread, regarding hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, etc.: at my library we have some bottles of a sanitizer that contains no foaming or thickening agent, meaning it's basically rubbing alcohol with maybe some minor differences. The reason we have these bottles is because basically everyone hates them, so they never get used. I have taken to dabbing Kleenex in them and using them to wipe off book covers or sometimes my workspace, essentially making crummy disinfectant wipes with them, as that's the only way we're ever going to get rid of the things. Nobody, myself included, likes using it on their hands.

Also, with regard to the "do people ingest hand sanitizer?" question, I'm reminded of the book Turtles All the Way Down by John Green. While it's a work of fiction (and not one of his best IMO), it touches heavily on mental illness and the ramifications of it. The main character is a huge ball of anxiety and OCD who ingests hand sanitizer in order to kill bacteria, and ends up making herself very sick in so doing. I have no idea if this is based on real stories or not, but it's at least very plausible.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

17. - Top - End - #17

Does anyone else think that the use of motion blur and depth of field in videogames makes it seem like the protagonist is both nearsighted and drunk?

The eye may not be able to focus on everything at once, but unless something is wrong with it whatever specific thing you are looking at at a given time is always going to be in focus.

Similarly, unless you're drunk or something, running or turning your head isn't going to be enough to make the entire world go blurry. And even that isn't enough to explain the motion blur in some of these games, like the ones where there's sort of afterimages; to get that kind of tracer/pointer trail effect in real life you would have to be either very sleep deprived or very high.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Motion blur is one of the two effects I immediately turn off when starting a new game (along with Chromatic Abberation). Irredeemably bad effects.

DoF I'm fine with because it makes it easier to tune out unimportant details without completely getting rid of ambiance.

I will say the after-images thing works for some games, I've been really liking it in Alan Wake 2, but that game is SUPPOSED to feel like you're in a dream (well, nightmare, specifically).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone else think that the use of motion blur and depth of field in videogames makes it seem like the protagonist is both nearsighted and drunk?

The eye may not be able to focus on everything at once, but unless something is wrong with it whatever specific thing you are looking at at a given time is always going to be in focus.

Similarly, unless you're drunk or something, running or turning your head isn't going to be enough to make the entire world go blurry. And even that isn't enough to explain the motion blur in some of these games, like the ones where there's sort of afterimages; to get that kind of tracer/pointer trail effect in real life you would have to be either very sleep deprived or very high.
    Motion blur, screen shake/flash effects, and controller rumble. And I suspect the only reason I don't have a vendetta about depth-of-field is I have significant motion sickness issues with most first-person cameras to start with and basically don't play games where that is even a thing.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

"Very sleep deprived or very high" probably describes the developers of the game pretty well, so that might account for why you see those effects so often.

Depth of field is the dumbest idea, in my opinion. Yes, sure it happens, but when you translate it into a FP game, you make the assumption that the player is always focused on the dead centre of their monitor. You can't see anything clearly just by directing your eyes at it, you have to point your mouse at it too. I hate that with a passion. It's the opposite of immersive.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

21. - Top - End - #21

Also, what person in their right mind wants to burn up processor power to make the game look worse?

Like, those things aren't even desirable in real life, why would you want them in a game?

Omegaupdate Forum

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Motion blur, screen shake/flash effects, and controller rumble. And I suspect the only reason I don't have a vendetta about depth-of-field is I have significant motion sickness issues with most first-person cameras to start with and basically don't play games where that is even a thing.
    Never liked any of those, though at least I can turn them off. I'd throw film grain in there too; it's kind of baffling. Controller vibration is something I even turned off at the system level on my PS5, which has an option for it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

urgh, yup. i once played a game similar to Dead by Daylight where the whole premise is "you need to escape a killer quickly!" and it had the bright idea of inducing motion blur for every time you moved your POV.

I. Could not. SEE! Every dang swing of my head caused my entire screen to become such a mess of colours that i had no idea what was happening or where i was going! something you really don't want happening when there is a killer on the loose and you need to avoid them!

Thankfully i found the setting and disabled it by my second game. made things so much more bearable
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Inconsequential hot take: in my prime, i could beat all y'all in Guitar Hero.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

In my prime, I could read an entire 700+ page novel in one sitting.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I struggled with medium difficulty, so yes.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

back in elementary school, i was pretty sure i could name all 151 pokemon from memory.

Never truly attempted it, and things got muddied a bit once they started adding more pokemon, but i digress.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    In my prime, I could read an entire 700+ page novel in one sitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    back in elementary school, i was pretty sure i could name all 151 pokemon from memory.

Never truly attempted it, and things got muddied a bit once they started adding more pokemon, but i digress.
    I can relate to both of these (not specifically with Pokemon, of which I've only known like three, but being able to remember a lot of things in elementary school, which was probably also the peak of my reading focus. I know more as an adult, but I think I might be dumber. ).

29. - Top - End - #29

If a soap needs fragrance added to it then perhaps it needs to be better at being soap

Omegaupdate Forum

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

the dental hygiene industry is in DIRE need of new flavors for it's products.

Let's see, toothpase? Well your choices are: Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, bubblegum, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, berry, Mint, Mint, Mint, and Mint. And the bubblegum one isn't even a very good toothpaste cleaning-wise.

Mouthwash? ahh well lets see! our flavor options are: Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Orange, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, and Mint.

And just for fun, Dental floss? Ahh well you see for THOSE we have: Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Unflavored, Mint, Mint, Mint, and Mint.

... I don't like Mint! i downright HATE the taste of mint! It is like frozen fire on my tongue! i do not WANT this! Please provide alternatives that don't make me actually want to gag and don't make it feel like I'm filling my mouth with actual acid!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show