New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Probably was, actually. The cooks couldn't see anything either!
    Yikes, there's a horrifying thought. The dining area already felt kind of grungy in the dim light: I really don't want to think about the kitchens being that dim and how that would affect the visible hygiene!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

To me, dim light has always seemed more dismal than fancy.

(Doubly so if there's candlelight. At that point it just flat out looks like you can't afford electricity.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Yikes, there's a horrifying thought. The dining area already felt kind of grungy in the dim light: I really don't want to think about the kitchens being that dim and how that would affect the visible hygiene!
    That's another thing. While I can kind of understand it's use in fancy restaurants as being some kind of arbitrary cultural thing, it's occasional use in places that are clearly not fancy is absolutely baffling. At the place where I work the lights in the cafeteria are constantly kept dim and I won't eat in there anymore; I'll eat in my car or in a disused conference room, depending on the time of year
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Calling 40k a satire is both reductive and incorrect. And every time I hear it it pisses me off.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Calling 40k a satire is both reductive and incorrect. And every time I hear it it pisses me off.
    Statements from the creators are incorrect and piss you off?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    What about Fight Club? Is that also non-satirical?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2024-02-23 at 09:14 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Colossus in the Playground

I find the whole concept of "Hanahaki disease" to be more horrifying than romantic and I can't help but feel that if it existed IRL it would be weaponized by incels.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I find the whole concept of "Hanahaki disease" to be more horrifying than romantic and I can't help but feel that if it existed IRL it would be weaponized by incels.
    I'm pretty sure a lot of people would agree with you on that actually.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2024-03-02 at 06:52 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I think that's definitely true, and there's quite a few romance fic tropes that something like that applies to. For one glaring one, most settings that have love potions don't take them nearly as seriously as they should.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I'm pretty sure a lot of people would agree with you on that actually.
    Yeah, I've read a lot of tropes that didn't seem to be very well thought through, but that one is next-level deranged. Seriously, does anyone call it "romantic"?

(Well, maybe if you're using the word in the sense of "rather silly and thoughtless and divorced from reality".)

Quote Originally Posted by SerTabris View Post
    most settings that have love potions don't take them nearly as seriously as they should.
    That's a trope that's evolved in the past generation, though. "Love potions" (and "love spells", which are practically the same) used to be seen in a dewy-eyed "wouldn't it be nice" kind of way, but more recent works (e.g. Harry Potter) have treated them as varying levels of manipulative, evil and downright freakin' dangerous.
    Last edited by veti; 2024-03-02 at 08:17 PM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

10. - Top - End - #310

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    By that logic, shouldn't pizza (as well as any number of other dishes) be blamed for burning one's mouth (if consumed too quickly after making it) too?
    Ironically enough, two pr three days after this discussion I burned the roof of my mouth on chili dip that I'd accidentally microwaved for too long.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

“Talking about the weather” is considered a cliche in my neck of the woods but I’ve never understood the hate. Weather is a universal experience that we really can’t control day-to-day, so it makes sense we’d make it a fixture of conversations.

What I can’t understand or tolerate is when people complain about the weather not being as extreme as forecasted.

I’m from a part of the world where snow is pretty common, so blizzards are a regular fixture and thus blizzard predictions feature heavily. Number of inches of snow, driving conditions, school and work closures, that kind of thing. And every single time the meteorologists predict any significant snowfall, whiteout conditions, or subzero temperatures, I always have to hear complaints from somebody about how it didn’t snow/it didn’t get as cold/driving wasn’t as bad as the weather predicted.

Prediction was 10-12 inches but we only got 8? You better believe someone’s gonna whine about the storm being “totally overblown”. Heaven forbid school gets fully cancelled and then the impending storm fizzles or weakens. People will gripe about it like spoiled children for days.

This isn’t just regular “oh shoot, the storm wasn’t quite as strong as expected” chatter. This is actual annoyance or criticism of the meteorologists. Calling them idiots. Cowards. People seem to take it PERSONALLY when the weather channel errs on the side of caution.

I don’t get it: better to forecast too much disruption than not enough, right?

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I don’t get it: better to forecast too much disruption than not enough, right?
    I think some historical context might be helpful.

Back when I wor' a kid, some... several decades ago now, weather forecasters didn't see themselves as "warning" people. They were just saying what the best guess of the weather was likely to be. They might throw in some good-natured advice of the level of "so wrap up warm" or "make sure the house is secure", but that was about as far as it ever went. Ever.

Then there were a few episodes where weather-powered disasters struck, and - something completely new happened. People started complaining that they hadn't had warning. Or, in the case of the more cautious, "adequate" warning. I think this was, if you'll pardon the pun, the watershed moment at least where I lived. For 30 years that forecast has been more talked about than the storm that followed it.

The forecasters didn't know quite what to make of that complaint at first. They'd said what was likely to happen, was it their fault if people weren't paying enough attention? But pretty soon, they shifted gear. They switched to the policy they've maintained to this day - give loud and alarming warnings of everything that anyone might consider disruptive.

To those of us who remember how it used to be - frankly, it's irritating. Yes, we'd like to know if a hurricane is blowing through, but when the warnings are false alarms as often as not, are we really any better off than we were before? Is there any chance we could go back to having just the forecast, without the "warnings" and "alert levels" and, in a word, drama?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

13. - Top - End - #313

"Space saver" or "donut" style spare tires are the worst innovation in the history of automobiles (or at least the worst one that isn't illegal)

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    "Space saver" or "donut" style spare tires are the worst innovation in the history of automobiles (or at least the worst one that isn't illegal)
    This sounds personal. Flat tire this week?

15. - Top - End - #315

This sounds personal. Flat tire this week?
    Yes. And the tire place can't fit me in until tomorrow which means that I have to spend the whole day driving around on this make believe tire that I'm not supposed to drive around too much on. And there's a lot of needless switching back and fortn. When they finally get me in I'm gonna see if they can sell me an extra rim and tire too so I can throw the donut in the garbage where it belongs

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Not even close, replacing the space-save tyre with a can of gunk to blow into the tyre to form a temporary seal is far worse. Not only does in not seal a lot of punctures (last time I tried to use one I didn't have my mobile phone with me so I had to drive5? miles on a completely flat tyre to phone the breakdown service) but what they don't tell you is that the gunk has a 3-year expiry date so most people are probably driving around with gunk that won't even work on a puncture it could fix!

I agree that a full-size spare wheel is the best though.

My current car came with the gunk, but unlike a lot of electric cars it has a spare wheel space in the boot that it actually deep enough for a full size wheel! It's a shame the plastic trays that surround the top make the hole just too small for a sull-sized tyre so you either have to buy a space-saver or remove some of the fittings to make the hole larger. I bought the space-saver, but I have a lot of local tyre places so a wait is not a problem. The newer version of the same car is horrible (not just in the boot) and has a very shallow wheel depression (not deep enough for anything) with cable trunking running across the middle of it - so why put the depression in there?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

FIL put on Mask of Zorro. Just finished watching the first big fight scene after training, where Zorro tries to steal the black horse.

Hot take: Antonio Banderas Zorro was the original Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Not even close, replacing the space-save tyre with a can of gunk to blow into the tyre to form a temporary seal is far worse. Not only does in not seal a lot of punctures (last time I tried to use one I didn't have my mobile phone with me so I had to drive5? miles on a completely flat tyre to phone the breakdown service) but what they don't tell you is that the gunk has a 3-year expiry date so most people are probably driving around with gunk that won't even work on a puncture it could fix!

I agree that a full-size spare wheel is the best though.

My current car came with the gunk, but unlike a lot of electric cars it has a spare wheel space in the boot that it actually deep enough for a full size wheel! It's a shame the plastic trays that surround the top make the hole just too small for a sull-sized tyre so you either have to buy a space-saver or remove some of the fittings to make the hole larger. I bought the space-saver, but I have a lot of local tyre places so a wait is not a problem. The newer version of the same car is horrible (not just in the boot) and has a very shallow wheel depression (not deep enough for anything) with cable trunking running across the middle of it - so why put the depression in there?
    I'll never understand why any manufacturers put any faith in that can stuff. I assume they're not even expecting it to work, it's just a token gesture to say "we tried, not my problem anymore".

Extra tire or bust.

FIL put on Mask of Zorro. Just finished watching the first big fight scene after training, where Zorro tries to steal the black horse.

Hot take: Antonio Banderas Zorro was the original Captain Jack Sparrow.
    I miss the era of playful adventure movies. Mask of Zorro and The Mummy come to mind first and foremost. Pirates of the Carribbean 1 also fits in there, but even then the genre was already morphing into something else.

I want more movies that are inventive, playful, and don't take themselves too seriously, but also don't take themselves too comically. Being earnest is not a crime! Being a little goofy because you were a little too earnest is not a crime! At its best moments, D&D: Honor Among Thieves was like this, which is why I loved it a lot.

19. - Top - End - #319

I miss the era of playful adventure movies. Mask of Zorro and The Mummy come to mind first and foremost. Pirates of the Carribbean 1 also fits in there, but even then the genre was already morphing into something else.

I want more movies that are inventive, playful, and don't take themselves too seriously, but also don't take themselves too comically. Being earnest is not a crime! Being a little goofy because you were a little too earnest is not a crime! At its best moments, D&D: Honor Among Thieves was like this, which is why I loved it a lot.
    Raider of the Lost Ark was advertised with the tagline "THE RETURN OF THE GREAT ADVENTURE".

I feel like we could use that return again.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

On a car I owned, the spare tire was mounted at the bottom of the car and was a pain in the ass to get loose even in a garage, I very much doubt I even would've been able to do it in an emergency.

On a more positive note, the one time I've used the aforementioned spray stuff it worked so well I didn't even have to get the tire fixed afterwards, it was just whole again. (Though in that case I bought it right before using it, so the expiration date wasn't an issue).

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'll never understand why any manufacturers put any faith in that can stuff. I assume they're not even expecting it to work, it's just a token gesture to say "we tried, not my problem anymore".
    I don't think they do - but it is a lot lighter than a wheel and tyre so it improves the performance measures...

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

The D&D movie "Honour among thieves" ain't all that.

Now granted, i was having a bit of insomnia when i was watching it at the time, so that might affect things. but when i watched, it was very boring.

Okay introduction to characters
    okay fetch-quest
    okay more characters
    they overplay the "speak with dead" thing too much
    okay fetch-quest
    okay fetch-quest
    okay fetch-quest

At what point is this supposed to be interesting? the fat-dragon? was the fat-dragon supposed to be interesting? it was onscreen for like three minutes.

The whole thing is just one long chain of fetch-quests and nothing of substance. I got bored and turned the movie off right at the halfway mark when they finally got the McGuffin and the one guy walked away. Like okay, that's... nice... you spent half the runtime on a boring fetch-quest, are you NOW going to begin telling the story or what?

personally i didn't stick around to find out.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    The D&D movie "Honour among thieves" ain't all that.
    This is more of a lukewarm take.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Okay introduction to characters
    okay fetch-quest
    okay more characters
    they overplay the "speak with dead" thing too much
    okay fetch-quest
    okay fetch-quest
    okay fetch-quest

The whole thing is just one long chain of fetch-quests and nothing of substance. I got bored and turned the movie off right at the halfway mark when they finally got the McGuffin and the one guy walked away. Like okay, that's... nice... you spent half the runtime on a boring fetch-quest, are you NOW going to begin telling the story or what?

personally i didn't stick around to find out.
    To be fair, "fetch quest, fetch quest, fetch quest, overcommit to a goofy scenario (speak with dead), fetch quest, fetch quest..." IS a pretty quintessential tabletop experience

As someone who enjoyed the film quite a lot, I'm with you on this gripe. The plot and dialogue are really nothing special - a few fun lines and moments, but the overall storytelling doesn't break a lot of new ground. The parts that I liked most were the inventive action sequences and the acting. If I had to pick a word, I'd call it "charming".

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

As someone who enjoyed the film quite a lot, I'm with you on this gripe. The plot and dialogue are really nothing special - a few fun lines and moments, but the overall storytelling doesn't break a lot of new ground. The parts that I liked most were the inventive action sequences and the acting. If I had to pick a word, I'd call it "charming".
    Yeah, this is pretty much my take on it, too. I would place it in the same category as something like Pacific Rim. A bit silly and without a ton of depth, but with enough charm and style to make it worth my while.

26. - Top - End - #326

To be fair, "fetch quest, fetch quest, fetch quest, overcommit to a goofy scenario (speak with dead), fetch quest, fetch quest..." IS a pretty quintessential tabletop experience
    Speaking of movies that are like types of games, has anybody else noticed that Back To The Future 1 is basically like one of those point and click adventure videogames? Marty spends the first 1/3 of the movie accumulating random objects (the clock tower flyer, the tape player, the radiation suit, etc) and the rest of the movie combining them to get out of various situations.

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #327
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Raider of the Lost Ark was advertised with the tagline "THE RETURN OF THE GREAT ADVENTURE".

I feel like we could use that return again.
    <begin New Jersey in-joke>
    Alas, they got bought out by Six Flags long ago.
    <end New Jersey in-joke>

Spoiler: explanation
    Show
    Great Adventure was an amusement park in southern New Jersey, that is now Six Flags Great Adventure.

Though I don't see how you get six flags for New Jersey. Dutch, British, US, and what else? Swedish?
    Last edited by DavidSh; 2024-04-19 at 03:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Though I don't see how you get six flags for New Jersey. Dutch, British, US, and what else? Swedish?
    Well, NJ has a state flag. It's better than the average state flag because it's not blue, but it's still just a coat of arms on a plain background, pretty forgettable.

But in case you're serious, the name comes from Texas, which really can list six flags in its history. Wikipedia has the list.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Well, NJ has a state flag. It's better than the average state flag because it's not blue, but it's still just a coat of arms on a plain background, pretty forgettable.

But in case you're serious, the name comes from Texas, which really can list six flags in its history. Wikipedia has the list.
    I was not previously aware of the French settlement in Texas. It appears to have been about as significant as the portion of the New Sweden colony in New Jersey.

And while I am a dutiful son of the Garden State, I must confess its flag is nowhere near as flashy as Maryland's.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

If you want a cool state flag, it seems like the thing that does you most good is a border with Mexico. Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California - those are the most memorable and beautiful state flags. California loses points for writing the name, but it's still memorable.