New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    The critical line from the Wikipedia page was "It is often claimed that spices were used either as food preservatives or to mask the taste of spoiled meat, especially in the European Middle Ages.[16][20] This is false.[21][22][23][16]". Note that of the four sources cited in support of "This is false", three are specifically about the Middle Ages and the fourth is a more general history of spices. None are specifically about modern usage.
    They're specifically about the European Middle Ages. They would be poor sources for discussing usage in, say, South Asia.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    They're specifically about the European Middle Ages. They would be poor sources for discussing usage in, say, South Asia.
    You're right. All of the sources I've been able to find present the myth as being specifically associated with the European Middle Ages, so none of them explicitly refute it in the context of South Asia. So I will instead point out that spices cannot in fact hide the smell or taste of rotten meat.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    You're right. All of the sources I've been able to find present the myth as being specifically associated with the European Middle Ages, so none of them explicitly refute it in the context of South Asia. So I will instead point out that spices cannot in fact hide the smell or taste of rotten meat.
    Also the health impacts of eating rotten meat are... Not ideal. I'm not going to argue that they were used to disguise rotting meat. Preservation i can buy, though. Salt is great but variety is nice, not to mention potential lack of availability, cost, or other logistical factors.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

It is kind of interesting how many ways of preparing food (especially meat, I think) just started out as a way to keep it from going bad. Now I kinda wonder whether the invention of freezers and refrigerators has slowed the pace of culinary invention? (If that is the case, I'd say it's worth the prize, though my reactions to spoiled food probably count as a phobia, so I'm a bit biased).
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-02-12 at 03:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    I could try that but I do think the sourness from the sour cream matters in the flavor. Just like how buttermilk and milk are not remotely the same thing. Edit: I guess technically the main difference is that in cream cheese you lose the whey, but in sour cream it's still emulsified in? Pure whey definitely has a distinct flavor... Edit 2: Also sour cream has huge brand and regional variations so I'm not sure without being very specific we'd have the same experiences. I remember that sour cream I was able to find in Japan basically was cream cheese, whereas the sour cream I get here is fragile enough that if you blend it you basically get something thinner than half and half. And Mexican-style sour cream was a totally different thing too...

(Also, even with the sour cream you start to hit issues with the ice cream wanting to be on the firm side. With cream cheese, I fear you'd have a brick that wouldn't even melt at room temperature, like if you do a peanut butter ice cream with too much peanut butter. So probably I won't actually try making cream cheese ice cream.)
    Soften it first, the same way you'd make a cream cheese frosting. Coldstone makes a cheesecake flavored ice cream by the same method.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Bolded for emphasis:I will readily agree that Europe is not Southeast Asia.
    Now that's a daring and divisive opinion! So controversial. So brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    It is kind of interesting how many ways of preparing food (especially meat, I think) just started out as a way to keep it from going bad. Now I kinda wonder whether the invention of freezers and refrigerators has slowed the pace of culinary invention? (If that is the case, I'd say it's worth the prize, though my reactions to spoiled food probably count as a phobia, so I'm a bit biased).
    Probably not slowed at all, given the prevalence of fusion and multicultural foods that have become more commonplace even just in the last two decades.

Or a better way to say it: I agree that necessity may indeed have been the mother of invention when it came to preservation in centuries past, and innovation due to preserving food is mostly unheard of now. But I'm certain that globalization (for all of its many flaws, which we deffo can't get into on this thread ) has more than made up for that difference. People have more access than ever before to a wealth of ingredients and cuisine (which they immediately incorporate into their own cuisine). Food & cooking media is also huge, and it inspires many to push their culinary boundaries.

As anyone who's ever tried to google a recipe ever can tell you, we almost have too much culinary innovation these days
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2024-02-12 at 04:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Now that's a daring and divisive opinion! So controversial. So brave.
    Fortune favors the bold.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Firbolg in the Playground

It;s possible that we've mixed up cause and effect here. Maybe they flavored it that way because they liked how it tasted and those whose recipes happened to preserve the fool lived longer and healthier and thus had more opportunity to communicate those recipes to other people. Meme theory!
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-02-13 at 06:37 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #279

As anyone who's ever tried to google a recipe ever can tell you, we almost have too much culinary innovation these days
    My wife recently tried the chocolate cake recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook; she thinks it is the best chocolate cake recipe she has ever made. So many recipes these days are full of meme ingredients (brioche means "stale, tasteless bread" to me, by the way), that what you really want is tried and true recipes, not innovation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

10. - Top - End - #280

Hot take: cream cheese is a garbage ingredient in sushi.

11. - Top - End - #281

Instead of "cousin once(/twice/thrice/etc) removed" we should say "second(/third/etc) niece/nephew/aunt/uncle" This is not only less ambiguous but generally also better represents the relationship in practice.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Instead of "cousin once(/twice/thrice/etc) removed" we should say "second(/third/etc) niece/nephew/aunt/uncle" This is not only less ambiguous but generally also better represents the relationship in practice.
    For anyone who wants to conceptualize this:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283

My mother occasionally interacts with her 6th-cousin 3-times removed who is about her own age. Then again, I knew 2 sets of aunt/uncle and neice/nephew who were the same age growing up, and one of my cousins is younger than his oldest nephew. Generations are of rather varied length.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think I've ever known or even met anybody who actually uses this given that it doesn't really matter how "removed" a cousin is lol.

Unless you're a weirdo who likes to really find the legal line on certain things, and making that kind of thing even more ambiguous is probably for the best.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

What do you call a spouse's sibling's spouse? I'd go with "Sibling-In-Second-Law"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    What do you call a spouse's sibling's spouse?
    Usually their name

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

In my family we use a pretty straightforward system.

If it's the sibling of a parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent, they're an aunt or an uncle.

If they're the children of any of THOSE individuals, they're a cousin.

If they're the children of your own siblings, they're a Nice, Nephew, or Nibling.

Anyone beyond any of that is generally referred too as a "Cousin"
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Indeed, degrees of cousinhood don't really seem that important nowadays. Unless you're planning to marry one, maybe.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never even met a third-or-higher degree cousin of mine.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

19. - Top - End - #289

Indeed, degrees of cousinhood don't really seem that important nowadays. Unless you're planning to marry one, maybe.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never even met a third-or-higher degree cousin of mine.
    My wife is my 14th-ish cousin (possibly once or twice removed). I looked it up once because I was curious. I met some second cousins once and might have met some another time. My parents are very into genealogy, so they have figured out how they are related to some of their friends (I think it tends to be in the 8th- to 15th-cousin range), and I know some of those friends (or their children) so technically I have met rather distant cousins. But then the question should probably be the most distant relation who you met because you were related.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

For anyone who wants to conceptualize this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We had to design software at work (CPS) to track relationships (bio, married, adopted) between various people. The developers wondered why we started laughing when they said there didn't need to be more than one bio relationship between any two given people.

According to my grandmother (I never verified this), Peyton and Eli Manning are my 6th cousins.

My wife MIGHT be a 5th cousin.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    We had to design software at work (CPS) to track relationships (bio, married, adopted) between various people. The developers wondered why we started laughing when they said there didn't need to be more than one bio relationship between any two given people.
    I can see only having the closest bio relationship as being reasonable, but I am fairly certain you would want to track all the relationships.

My wife MIGHT be a 5th cousin.
    My mother's grandparents were 3rd cousins. The story is that they didn't notice until after they had multiple children together.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    We had to design software at work (CPS)
    Calibration precision services? Canon printing systems? Clicks per second? Crown Prosecution Service? Don't keep us in suspense.

The developers wondered why we started laughing when they said there didn't need to be more than one bio relationship between any two given people.
    Find new developers. If they are confused by the idea of multiple overlapping relationships, they're not fit for the job.

23. - Top - End - #293

Calibration precision services? Canon printing systems? Clicks per second? Crown Prosecution Service? Don't keep us in suspense.
    Contextually, Child Protective Services.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    My mother's grandparents were 3rd cousins. The story is that they didn't notice until after they had multiple children together.
    Genetically speaking, by the time you get to 3rd cousins there’s really not a lot of overlap, right?

If you couldn’t have children with your third cousins, a lot of small communities would probably struggle. And no, that’s not a joke — I grew up in a town of fewer than 3,000 people and family connections were incredibly common. You’d get to 3rd cousins really quickly without even knowing it, I’d bet.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2024-02-22 at 08:42 AM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Contextually, Child Protective Services.
    Correct.

And yeah, tracking all the relationships is a legislative requirement.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Genetically speaking, by the time you get to 3rd cousins there’s really not a lot of overlap, right?

If you couldn’t have children with your third cousins, a lot of small communities would probably struggle. And no, that’s not a joke — I grew up in a town of fewer than 3,000 people and family connections were incredibly common. You’d get to 3rd cousins really quickly without even knowing it, I’d bet.
    pretty much yeah. Genetically speaking 3rd cousins are fine.

Realistically, everyone's a distant cousin from one another in some way. if you think about it, you have two parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, every generation back doubles. But if we were to go back in time, our population would be smaller then it is today.

So eventually you reach a point where you're guaranteed to have people who appear on multiple different branches of your family tree.

Pretty sure that's related to the whole "after enough time has passed, you're either the direct ancestor of every living human in existence, or the direct ancestor of none of them" thing.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297

Another hot take: Does anyone else hate eating in dim light?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    My mother occasionally interacts with her 6th-cousin 3-times removed who is about her own age. Then again, I knew 2 sets of aunt/uncle and neice/nephew who were the same age growing up, and one of my cousins is younger than his oldest nephew. Generations are of rather varied length.
    Well yeah, if it's something really distant, but my cousin's kid is closer to a nephew than a cousin

Omegaupdate Forum

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Another hot take: Does anyone else hate eating in dim light?
    I wouldn't exactly say I hate it, but I've certainly never seen the appeal. When I was a kid, we would often eat a nice Friday dinner by candle-light and I remember occasionally complaining about it. As an adult, I suppose I've gotten used to it, but it's not something I would choose for myself.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

The only time I've eaten in dim light was at a weird local restaurant, and my date got food poisoning.

Probably not because of the lighting, though

30. - Top - End - #300

The only time I've eaten in dim light was at a weird local restaurant, and my date got food poisoning.

Probably not because of the lighting, though
    Probably was, actually. The cooks couldn't see anything either!