New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Frequently the point is delegation of authority, or to demonstrate respect for the rule of law. Yeah, Superman can throw someone into the sun no problem, but he refrains from doing so because he doesn't want to be the ultimate arbiter of justice, and he wants there to be an authority above him.
    i feel like that can only extend so far though. I've never seen Superman turn in Trigon or Darkseid to the police for example. at some point no one in their right mind would think you're "going too far" if you permanently remove a very large, very dangerous threat when you have the chance.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2024-02-04 at 11:26 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    i feel like that can only extend so far though. I've never seen Superman turn in Trigon or Darkseid to the police for example. at some point no one in their right mind would think you're "going too far" if you permanently remove a very large, very dangerous threat when you have the chance.
    Rater would know better than I, but I don't recall Superman or anyone ever being able to take them alive to have to make that decision in the first place. Darkseid I believe at least has a good-ish counterpart who could plausibly cast judgement of some kind on him?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

just the screen i'd guess. Even so, there should not be a need to turn the screen off a bunch of times in order to exit a game.

just give me a physical button that brings me to the main menu, this ain't hard.

i will never understand the whole "They must be tried for their crimes!" thing. like, there has GOT to be a limit there, surely. Dude just blew up two entire inhabited planets while keeping the population of four others as non-consenting labourers who are regularly lashed and rarely fed, and you want too... put him in a courtroom to determine if he's guilty? Maybe put him in a prison for a few years? Where he has the potential to escape or be freed to cause yet another reign of terror?

Respectfully... come on. Just finish the job now so it's over and people can be free.
    Ignoring the fact that such a person would likely be sentenced to execution and would almost certaily be convicted assuming a relevant authority...

Cosnider the message it sends

I imagine that the victims surviving victims of such a monster would be more comforted by the idea that the rule of law has stated that what that person did is wrong coupled with said monster being humiliated via conviction by due processes—all of their crimes being aired for all to see and condemned—and finally the just punishment bein handed down from on high.

In comparison, if I just come in and beat the man to death, the slaves are probably just gonna see me as just another big strong monster. They'll be waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

I think using comic book examples (at least of the typical DC or Marvel variety) might make arguments about whether nor not handing over their enemies to the authorities is the right thing or not extra blurry.

In real life, imprisoning a convicted criminal is usually a more or less permanent solution (prison escapes happen, but they are fairly rare) or at least permanent until society sees it fit to let the criminal out. In comics, Batman handing the Joker off to the police after his five hundredth escape from Arkham Asylum seems... less than ideal.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Ignoring the fact that such a person would likely be sentenced to execution and would almost certaily be convicted assuming a relevant authority...

Cosnider the message it sends

I imagine that the victims surviving victims of such a monster would be more comforted by the idea that the rule of law has stated that what that person did is wrong coupled with said monster being humiliated via conviction by due processes—all of their crimes being aired for all to see and condemned—and finally the just punishment bein handed down from on high.

In comparison, if I just come in and beat the man to death, the slaves are probably just gonna see me as just another big strong monster. They'll be waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    Can't say i see it that way.

Personally if i was a victim of one of those planets, I'd see the courts as holding up and wasting time. The monster should be dealt with so people can start healing already. the longer they're kept alive the more likely it is they'll escape, or someone will try to save them, or they'll find some way to talk or bribe their way out of punishment.

Just. Get. It. Done! The sooner he's gone -for good- and not making any more people suffer, the better.

if you want a big show-and-tell saying what they did was wrong, it can wait until AFTER the monster has been removed from the equation. Less chance of rallying sympathizers that way.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2024-02-04 at 12:15 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have a lot more that I want to say about this but I'm having trouble figuring out how to say it without explicitly naming real world terrorists and dictators.

EDIT:
    Suffice it to say that in general there is more certain and immediate closure to one of these being killed by commandos or an angry mob than there is to sending them to a kangaroo court that's just going to hang them anyway (or worse, a real court that's probably going to let them walk on a technicality).
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-02-04 at 12:43 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

yeah i'm feeling like we might be skirting a bit too close to fourm rules here. perhaps a topic change is in order?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218

All videogames should let you save wherever you like. Saving isn't a game mechanic, its a usability feature
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    All videogames should let you save wherever you like. Saving isn't a game mechanic, its a usability feature
    add "pause" to the mix too. the kind where you can still look around and plan specifically.

looking at you baldurs gate 3.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

add "pause" to the mix too. the kind where you can still look around and plan specifically.

looking at you baldurs gate 3.
    BG3 has pause in the form of turn based mode. Anything that can still move through that is not a meaningful interaction.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    BG3 has pause in the form of turn based mode. Anything that can still move through that is not a meaningful interaction.
    untrue.

one time i rescued a man, talked to him, and he proceeded to run out the door and get into a fight with an enemy.

i hit turn based mode to try and give myself the time to catch him, but he and the enemy kept fighting in realtime outside of my little turn-based bubble. the man died.

Turn-based mode only gives you a small little bubble. Just let me pause everything so EVERYTHING stops. If nothing else, it'd help the game load in all the assets when loading in a new region.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222

What's the deal with chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry icecream in the same tub? It should be chocolate, vanilla, and coffee because they're all beans

Omegaupdate Forum

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Hot take: coffee is unnecessary.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #224
    Colossus in the Playground

Cofee icecream tastes better than actual coffee.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

chocolate is the superior coffee.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Hot take: chocolate is overrated.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

how dare you
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

What's the deal with chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry icecream in the same tub? It should be chocolate, vanilla, and coffee because they're all beans
    It's because those are the three most popular flavors of ice cream. Neapolitan is basically a "greatest hits variety pack" of ice cream.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Hot take: coffee is unnecessary.
    "Unnecessary" for what?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    "Unnecessary" for what?
    Anything. Cabinet does it actually give energy, it just suppresses the signals your brain uses to tell it it tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Anything. Cabinet does it actually give energy, it just suppresses the signals your brain uses to tell it it tired.
    Eek, auto-anti-correct worked overtime on that one.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Cofee icecream tastes better than actual coffee.
    I believe this is the case because coffee tastes bad. Coffee ice cream is good enough that I will have it if offered, but I find it to be the worst flavor of ice cream. When I created Cursed -1 Hot Chocolate of Coffee Taste by trying to making normal hot chocolate using a coffee machine's water heating function, I found myself unable to finish it because I disliked the taste.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

23. - Top - End - #233

Plus there's other caffeinated drinks out there that aren't bitter and don't burn your mouth, such as soda and iced tea.

(That said coffee ice cream lacks these two issues; it's not bitter and it isn't hot either)

Omegaupdate Forum

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Plus there's other caffeinated drinks out there that aren't bitter and don't burn your mouth, such as soda and iced tea.

(That said coffee ice cream lacks these two issues; it's not bitter and it isn't hot either)
    While I can't really argue with the bitterness (it's an acquired taste, at best), if you're burning your mouth on coffee you're drinking it too soon. (That said, the fact that you have to wait a little while between making it and drinking it isn't exactly a point in coffee's favour).

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Exhibit A. This, folks, is just one of the things that can happen to people who take some kind of quasi-religious stance against coffee.

I have nothing against people not liking coffee. Taste is taste, and there's no point arguing about it. But people who try to extend that personal dislike to everyone else? - they can get lost. In a blizzard.

Why is "bitter" an argument against it? You may not like it, but there's plenty of people who do. Can't we both be allowed to enjoy our own tastes?

As for "burn your mouth" - yeah, that's not a problem with coffee, that's a problem with very hot water. The flavour is irrelevant. The same thing would happen if you were dumb enough to drink overheated soda, but nobody claims that's an argument against soda. Why should it be one against coffee?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

The phrase "skill issue" was invented for this scenario.

And yeah, bitter flavors are valid. Just because you don't like coffee or citrus doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to lmao.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Exhibit A. This, folks, is just one of the things that can happen to people who take some kind of quasi-religious stance against coffee.
    There's nothing "quasi-religious" about caffeine being merely an adenosine-receptor antagonist, and not a caloric source.

The post after the one you quoted was mildly offensive and could be described with that phrase, but that's not the one you quoted, so it clearly isn't the one you were responding to.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure how "your phone's autocorrect function will create nonsense phrases like 'cabinet does it actually' when you type things that are technically true but also mostly irrelevant" is a particularly strong cautionary warning, nor an accurate one.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2024-02-06 at 05:28 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    The post after the one you quoted was mildly offensive and could be described with that phrase, but that's not the one you quoted, so it clearly isn't the one you were responding to.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure how "your phone's autocorrect function will create nonsense phrases like 'cabinet does it actually' when you type things that are technically true but also mostly irrelevant" is a particularly strong cautionary warning, nor an accurate one.
    My point wasn't that autocorrect sometimes makes mistakes and should be turned off, but that people who leave it on should reviow their content, after posting even if they can't be bothered before posting. I do review most things I post, and still some things get through, but I'm pretty sure I cut it down by at least 90%.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

*sips coffee* Ahh, I love the smell of strong opinions in the morning.

I've been getting into D&D terrain crafting & painting, and I never have enough paintbrushes.

Why? Because I need a very specific brush size (1/4" - 1/2") to be big enough for coverage but able to fit average nooks & crannies. I have other brushes but this is by far the most useful.

And believe it or not, the most economical way for me to get those brushes in my area is to buy them in giant variety packs that contain a bunch of crap brushes I don't need (example).

Things like this are basically the only good option at the stores in my area. There are other "high quality" brush packs for $50+, and there are smaller packs with finer tips than I need. But if I want to get another 2-3 of that brush size that I need, the cheapest way to do it is, believe it or not, to buy these ridiculous grab bag packs. Half the brushes in them are obviously garbage and another third are things like the foam sponge -- useful to have one or two, but I have no reason to amass them in bulk.

The first one was kind of nice to get -- I've found niche uses for the other brushes. But I have no reason to buy another one. So now I've just been making do with the usable ones from this first pack. For over a year.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    My point wasn't that autocorrect sometimes makes mistakes and should be turned off, but that people who leave it on should reviow their content, after posting even if they can't be bothered before posting. I do review most things I post, and still some things get through, but I'm pretty sure I cut it down by at least 90%.
    OOPS! I meant the post after yours, so two posts after the one that was referred to.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2024-02-06 at 11:03 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.