New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant: The Lost Outpost [IC]

It will take Eirina 10 minutes while taking her sweet time to open what turns out was actually only a meager challenge. It is assumed that once she gets that open the party takes the time to peruse what is within. Inside are multiple journals and logbooks. The logbooks record various types of events, such as the sea journey to Ancorato, daily work details for construction and farming, a master tool inventory, records of the daily weather, and so on. This information is mostly pedestrian in nature, but might serve as the basis of a future almanac. All of the books date back to approximately 1 month ago, whereupon the entries become sporadic and stop altogether a week later.

One logbook details daily events in the colony since landfall, and it’s the one book that contains something of particular interest. Those carefully carefully examining the colony logbook notices that it is missing three to four pages after the last entry, as evidenced by a razor-sharp incision along the binding where the pages were carefully cut out. Assuming that detect magic is also used, the logbook radiates a faint aura of universal magic. This aura originates from two invisible arcane marks inscribed on the inside of the back cover. The arcane marks are normal words and spell “plum tree.”
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne says: "O.K. That's weird. I wonder what that means? If they bothered recording it magically, and invisibly no less, and lock it up, it must have some important significance to someone."

He looks around, and continues.

"Shall we put it back for now and continue our exploration of the building?"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

"Curious," Roran notes as he leans down to get a look at the logbook. "Would it be too large a leap to think that perhaps the missing pages are hidden near to a plum tree somewhere on the colony grounds?"

If Roran is able to recall what a plum tree looks like, he will share a description with the others so they can keep an eye out while their search continues.

4. - Top - End - #244

ElfRogueGirl

Eirina nods as she puts her documents back for now. "These do have some value for when we start planning to colonize ourselves but what happened a week ago? That's what I am most curious about. Everything seemed fine up until then. And Does Plum Tree mean that's where the missing pages are or is it some kind of warning to stay away from the plum tree?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"My gut feeling says that's where the rest of the pages are, but it could be a trap. It might be best to clear out the rest of the settlement first though before we go looking. Once cleared we can look for any other clues. Hopefully one will say why they've left."

Thickness rolls his shoulders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

6. - Top - End - #246

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne, looks around at everyone, nods, and says: "O.K., I think it's safe to say that I agree with every one of you. Shall we proceed to the next room?"

And he prepares his glaive.

7. - Top - End - #247

The rest of the government house is searched - upper and lower floors - and there is no other items of value nor any more clues of any kind.

What now?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne has a quizzical expression on his face as he says: "Hmmm. I'm surprised. I was expecting to meet with more obstacles in this building. Well, I'm certainly not complaining. Shall we move on to that little building just to the South West of us? And, keep an eye out for plum trees as we go."

9. - Top - End - #249

ElfRogueGirl

Eirina reviews the buildings they have visited mentally. "I say we go to the building southeast of the last one we searched."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    OOC:Eirina is refering to A9.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

At Eirina's suggestion that they search to the southeast, Roran fidgets in place for a moment, then looks to the others, then clears his throat. Seeming almost pained by the forthcoming words, he forces a smile as he asks of the half-elf, "Perhaps you mean to the southwest?"
    Last edited by rypt; 2024-03-08 at 01:12 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251

ElfRogueGirl

"Ahem, uh yes? sorry my sense of direction is much better in the wilderness." Eirina responds awkwardly, clearly embarrassed she gestures for Roran to take the lead.

12. - Top - End - #252

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne prods Eirina a bit, with a teasing tone to his voice: "So, I was thinking that once we settle in a bit, I might ask you to teach me some of your amazing wilderness skills, but I was worried about what I could offer in return. Now I've got it! You would teach me how to track and how to stealth my way in and out of trouble, and I would teach you the basic cardinal points! Do we have a deal?"

He glances at Roran, smiles, and adds: "And and to maintain objectivity and high standards, Roran can be in charge of testing us once we think we have sufficiently assimilated the material!"

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

With the building picked out Thickness starts trundling along behind Roran as he takes the lead, smiling as he does so at the conversation starting up.

"Sounds like a fun. For now hopefully the other buildings are as clear as this one was."

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Perking up a bit after his uncomfortable exchange with Eirina, Roran appears to take Arsenne's teasing as a very real proposal. "Oh, yes, I like that idea very much. Particularly if I might listen in on your lessons."

15. - Top - End - #255

ElfRogueGirl

"I thank you for the offer however I do indeed have a spell than can help me incase of such emergencies. It's called Know Direction." Eirina states as she follows the group. A bit disappointed and frustrated with herself. She had been trying to sound like an adult and was hoping to be treated like one here with the group being the youngest among an elven family meant she was always treated like a child. She feared it might be the same story here. She didn't know the ages of everyone present other than her Uncle's age but she was afraid she might be the youngest again. However she was determined to prove her worth.

"Though if you were serious about wilderness survival skills than I shall help you. Ambyr and I will to be exact." Eirina tells him. "Tracking, hunting, trapping those are my specialties. I just hope I can show you my superior archery skills at some point."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

"Far be it from me to interrupt this exchange", Kaen began, hoping to diffuse any possible friction Mr Arsenne and his niece, "but let's focus on clearing out this area and figuring out what drove the previous settlers out. The more I think of it, the less sense this is making."
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

17. - Top - End - #257

The name “Arkley” is carved into a wooden sign nailed next to the door frame of this log cabin. A single, closed door faces northwest, and the structure has two wooden-shuttered windows. The architecture is otherwise the same as many of the other buildings.

The PCs should recognize the name Arkley, or specifically Rayland Arkley, as the leader of the first group of colonists who arrived on the Liberty’s Herald. The only door is shut and latched, but not barred. The inside of the house stands in contrast to most of the other buildings in the settlement in that it is relatively organized and tidy. It contains plain wooden furniture, with simple amenities such as wall racks for weapons and armor, a modest dining table and chairs, and a sitting chair with a makeshift cushion and footstool. A separate bedroom features a wooden bed frame and pallet mattress, a boot rack, and a large unlocked chest of folded clothes and other personal items. The entire house is a study in normalcy, though Eirina and Kaen find just enough dust to ascertain that the house has not been entered for 3–4 weeks.

Do you do a quick or deep search in here?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"A month'sdust opposed to a week. I don’t belive those monkey things would have been unable to get in. Perhapsnwhatever survivors or natives nearby are few in number, which bodes well for us at least."

His peice said, Thickness goes about the quick search the group's been doing.

19. - Top - End - #259

Led by Eirina and Roran, the group does a careful search. In glancing upwards, the group spots the corner of a sheet of folded parchment resting on top of a crossbeam, 9' above the floor. It is easy enough to retrieve - a chair or a hand up by an ally suffices - they discover that the parchment is actually four sheets that have been folded together and tightly creased. When unfolded, it proves to be the Talmandor’s Bounty colony charter. This legal document declares the island and the colony to be under the protection of the nation of Andoran, outlines the colony’s relationship to the Bountiful Venture Company, and enumerates the rights and responsibilities of all colonists. It bears the sealed signature of three members of the People’s Council, representatives of the Bountiful Venture Company, and every colonist that came aboard the Liberty’s Herald. The PCs remember these facts as part of the debriefing and disclosures given to all colonists, and in fact likely signed a similar document themselves before joining the colony. The document is important for historical and legal reasons but is not intrinsically valuable in itself; a duplicate charter remains in Almas.

This document should have been stored in the Government House (area A10), where it would be safe and Rayland Arkley would have access to it anytime he wanted. The charter’s presence here is puzzling. The charter also doubles as a passenger manifest for the Liberty’s Herald. Interestingly, there are small check marks listed alongside the names of the colonists, but not the colony’s officials.

The 16-minute-total search also turns up more, as they find a silver pocket watch in the cushions of one of the chairs. Such timepieces are rare in the Inner Sea region, and this one also functions as a compass. Study of the symbols on the watch’s face indicates it is of original Azlanti design, and it is amazingly still in working order. Kaen and Roran - evenly matched in the understanding of commodities and valuation - know that it would be very valuable, on the order of hundreds of gold pieces - but are unable to appraise a more finite value.

Additionally, tucked under the mattress in the bedroom is a traveling spellbook. Twenty-nine pages have been used, with 21 blank pages remaining. The book contains 10 0-level spells, eight 1st-level spells, and eight 2nd-level spells. The book is worth 920 gp. Inside the front cover is an arcane mark that reads, “Hendrake.”

Assuming the the PCs cross-reference this name with the charter, they find one of the colonists was named Una Hendrake. Additionally, a spell component pouch is tied to a brass ring bound into the spine of the book, though this spell component pouch is particular to the wizard who owned this book.
    Spoiler: Spell Component Pouches in Rusty Games
    Show
    They are not "one size fits all" ... not even for members of the same class ... but are specific and tailored to the needs of the owner. They are worthless as resale.

Roran recalls from the information presented when joining the colony that Rayland Arkley was a former military man, not a spellcaster, and this structure appears to have been the Governor's House (i.e., Rayland Harkley's home).
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2024-03-11 at 09:53 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260

ElfRogueGirl

"I grew up among elves and my mother herself was a scholar of sorts, leaving behind a spellbook and spell components....that isn't a good sign. No magic user wizard or otherwise would leave behind their only source of power." Eirina states. "Also why are these items here in the house where the governor resided? Honestly this mystery is just getting more confusing by the minute."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

"Somehow, this makes matters even more confusing." Kaen said, lost in thought. "The lack of checkmarks next to the officials is worrying. What are they signifying?" He paces slightly, trying to determine any possible scenario that the evidence could support. "It can't just be a headcount, because otherwise it wouldn't be here; it'd be wherever the colonists are now. Could the officials have gathered the colonists for something untoward that killed or otherwise got rid of all of them? If so, how'd they overpower that many people; the colonists would greatly outnumber them. And why is the list in the mayor's home instead of the government building? Nothing is adding up."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Thickness frowns.
    "Nothing springs to mind that I dont immidiately find fault with. I imagine once we've done a thorough search of everywhere we'll have more clues to work upon. For now there's more buildings to clear."
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2024-03-12 at 03:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne says: "I agree with Thikha'Ness. Let's search the other buildings. Perhaps we if we find more clues, we can paint a more complete picture for ourselves. And I suggest that we keep this copy of the colony charter with us. We may want to cross-reference it with other information that we come across."

"Shall we explore the next building Southwest of us?" He looks at Eirina and adds with a smile and a wink "That's just out the door and to the left!"

24. - Top - End - #264

As the group heads on their way to the next building to the south, you pass area A8, the Gate. The south side of the palisade fence is the only finished side. A large gate set in the fence can be barred from within. The gate is open, however, and the large wooden bar leans against the fence. Beyond the gate is an unpaved road where homes have been built or are in various stages of construction.

Do you continue to that next building (A7) or do something else?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265

ElfRogueGirl

Eirina tries to comfort Kaen by putting a comforting hand on his shoulder. "We'll figure this out Uncle, there's no one smarter than you. But for now we need more clues so let's just search the next building."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"If only the wall was complete, then the gate might be worth closing. I figure we finish inside the walls first."

Unless there's obvious disagreement Thickness will continue onwards to the next building.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Roran remains focused on the charter for a time, possibly even continuing to read it as they continue on to the next building (and drifting towards the rear of the group in the process). His focus is such that he has little to contribute to the ongoing discussion beyond the occasional nod or muttered word. When at last his careful review is complete, he informs the others, "Ah, there. Sorry. It seemed important, so I have committed the whole of the charter to memory. Would anyone else like to hold onto it?" He'll hand it off to anyone who asks or otherwise store it in his own bag. "May I take another look at the spellbook?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Roran will store the text of the charter in his eidetic cache. He'll then begin to attempt to identify the 0th and 1st level spells which have been scribed into the spellbook.

28. - Top - End - #268

Roran memorizes the four legal pages, to include the first expedition colony roster.

He is unable to recognize the spells.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2024-03-14 at 09:15 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen holds up a hand placatingly, waving away his niece's compliment while accepting the sentiment. While Kaen was knowledgeable in multiple fields, he was sure there were more focused scholars smarter than he. Still, that would be an issue for another time, as he agreed with Thickness's assessment and went towards the next building as well.

30. - Top - End - #270

The party gets to the next building. From the outside, this long, rectangular building appears to be a home, though larger than many beyond the palisade to the south. It has three windows, all covered with wooden shutters, and a single door facing northwest, which is unbarred and slightly ajar.
    Show