New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant: The Lost Outpost [IC]

Kaen shrugs. "Give me a lit torch and I can handle it on my own. They won't be able to get me once I use my power." And to illustrate, he activated his ring veil and a translucent bubble of force appeared around him, "They won't be able to penetrate this. It doesn't have any mobility per se, but I can move to them and activate it if they decide not to bite,"
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne looks with eyes wide at Kaen and says: "Wow! That is really impressive... You are full of surprising powers, aren't you? O.K. then. Since we have a viable solution that does not seem to be too onerous to implement, how about if we take care of the swarm right now before we wander off? And while Kaen embarks on this role as exterminator, maybe we can all also stand by with torches just in case that old rule about plans going afoul proves itself true."
    Last edited by Diavolo; 2024-04-26 at 05:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen nodded. "Indeed. Having backup would be wise in case my confidence is misplaced." He then made his way towards the swarm-infested shed.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Colossus in the Playground

The party follows Kaen's lead up to the northernmost building (A3). Kaen, all eyes are upon you, mighty roach-killer. What do you do?
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen takes off his pack, reaching into it and retrieves both a torch and his flint and steel. Lighting the torch, he turns to his teammates. "Open the door and close it behind me, that should keep them from getting to you. Do keep an ear open in case I need assistance, though." He then enters the building, activating his protective field as he waits for the swarm to arrive.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Have someone open the door with a move action and someone else ready an action to close it after he steps through.
    MA: Get into the building.
    SA: Activate the Bangle of Barriers to use its force field effect. Because I have one essence in the veil, it has a 3 hardness and 9 HP

6. - Top - End - #336

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne hastily unbundles the extra cloth around his waist and pulls it up over his chest, shoulders and back, displaying a monk's sparse combat top. He looks at his friends and says: "What? O.K., so I know it won't add any protection at all, but psychologically, I am just not enthusiastic about facing a swarm of biting and stinging insects with this much bare skin showing!

Does any body have a torch I can borrow for about a minute?

Spoiler: Positioning and contingency.
    Show
    If someone provides him a torch, he will light it, leave his Glaive on the ground, and move to the West side of the door so he can open it and close it Kaen. He then stands beside the door, just to West, ready to swing his torch and try to burn as many insects as possible that might come out.

He looks at Kaen and says: "We're counting on you, but if I hear you yelling, or if I hear nothing at all, I'm coming in after you."

7. - Top - End - #337

ElfRogueGirl

Eirina's eyes glimmer and shine while watching her Uncle, she knows he's not one for emotional outbursts but she just can't help herself. He's her family after all. Her fear of the Poltergeist drifts away as does her fear about what to do about the Swarm. "You're so amazing Uncle!! You can do this!! I know you can! Come on Ambyr give Uncle Kaen a roaring cheer!"

Eirina then looks to Mr. Arvodair with slight disdain but whispers to him. "I know I sound super confident right now and I am I totally believe my uncle can do this without your help....but....if he needs help...can you send in your lady friend? I hate to admit that I am helpless to assist him in this but I am so..."

8. - Top - End - #338

Kaen takes off his pack, reaching into it and retrieves both a torch and his flint and steel....
    Unfortunately, Kaen pulls out his flint and steel, yes, but he realizes he didn't actually bring his torches with him, as they are still on the ship!

Does anyone else have a torch they wish to give Kaen? And, for that matter, Arsenne since he asked for one?
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Thickness pulls off and ruffles through his pack, pulling out two torches, one he keeps, one he passes to Kean.
    "Put the flint away, I'll light it with a spell while you go through the door, and stand ready here in case they bust out. Or I can light it now if you're concerned, just save the flint for later."

Spoiler: Action
    Show

If Kean accepts, Thickness will ready a Action to cast Spark on the torch as Kean enters the building.

If Kean would prefer the torch prelit, he'll use Spark when Kean is ready to light the torch saving time.

As for equipment juggling, spear goes down and holding a torch in one hand. Spark is V or S so I'll keep my shield on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen will accept the torch. "Thank you, Mr. Thickness. Lighting it now should be sufficient; I'd rather not risk leaving the door open too long." Once lit, he nods to his teammates to open the door for him before they close it back up, walking into the middle of the room before activating his defenses.
    Show
    Get an ally to open the door, and another to ready an action to close it behind me.
    MA: move into the building
    SA: Activate Blade of Bangles. As stated before, I now have a barrier around me that has 3 hardness and 9 HP.

11. - Top - End - #341

Begin Round One...

R1T18: Now that Kaen is in here alone, before he can even react he gets swarmed by a massive of cockroaches! They start to chew against his force field, doing some damage before ....

R1T17: .... the force field immediately repairs! Kaen, what do you do?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen nods to himself. He was reasonably certain that his defenses were adequate against the swarm, but it was reassuring to have confirmation. He shifts his astral suit to its most flexible form and strikes at the swarm with the torch, trying to slay what bugs he can and safely disperse the rest.
    Show
    SwA: Change astral suit into its astral skin form. This moves my enhancement bonus to DEX. I *think* I can use Dex for this? Do let me know, as it will be easier using just the strength score than assuming I use DEX and you applying a penalty equal to the difference.
    SA: Attack the swarm: (1d20+7)[25] (with an additional +1 from DEX increase) (1d3+1)[4] plus 1 point of fire damage.

13. - Top - End - #343

R1T17: Kaen nods to himself. He was reasonably certain that his defenses were adequate against the swarm, but it was reassuring to have confirmation. He shifts his astral suit to its most flexible form and strikes at the swarm with the torch, trying to slay what bugs he can and safely disperse the rest. Mind you, this is the first battlefield test, and he finds that his torch simply pongs against the inside of the barrier for little effect ... he is on the outside, and bugs are on the outside with him sealed in the barrier. It is also at this time that Kaen notes that his hand is feeling very warm right now.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T18:
    Cockroaches completely unable to do enough damage to matter ...

R2T17: Kaen, your whole upper body is starting to feel very warm, and the air quality is fast eroding. What do you do?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen realized his error, as he'd caught the torch in his protective bubble. Popping it with a thought, he moved out of the swarm, tossing the the torch onto the ground out of the swarm and following after it. Making sure to reactivate his protection first, he quickly bent down to retrieve the torch, looking back at the swarm, a look of mild frustration on his features.
    Show
    Free action: deactivate the *bangle of barriers*.
    Free action: Drop the torch in the square to the southwest (i.e. not in the swarm)
    5 foot step to the square to the southwest
    SA: Activate the *bangle of barriers*'s force field again.
    MA: Pick up the torch
    Last edited by digiman619; 2024-04-28 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Typo

15. - Top - End - #345

R2T17: Kaen realized his error, as he'd caught the torch in his protective bubble. Popping it with a thought, he moved out of the swarm, tossing the the torch onto the ground out of the swarm and following after it. Making sure to reactivate his protection first, he quickly bent down to retrieve the torch, looking back at the swarm, a look of mild frustration on his features.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T18:
    Sure enough, the cockroaches swarm the barrier.

R3T17: Kaen, what do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2024-04-30 at 04:21 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

Now within his protective field (and the torch without it), he struck at the swarm once more.
    Show
    Attack the swarm: Since I'm apparently using STR for this (1d20+2)[11]. (1d3+2)[4] blunt damage + 1 fire damage

17. - Top - End - #347

It seems that because he holds the torch, it is encapsulated in the barrier ... what he holds and carries is a part of him, and the barrier extends several inches past him, and what he holds, in all directions ... but that still isn't a tremendous amount, as no doubt again the torch will befoul and overheat the air within the barrier in short order. Kaen realizes at this point that he cannot make the barrier in such as way that he can attack beyond its borders .... he is protected, but he likewise is immobile and inoffensive.

Kaen, what now?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

"I regret to announce that my plan has failed." Kaen says frustratedly, drops his protective bubble long enough to toss the torch out of range. "Do any of you posses any sort of elemental attacks? Because I am sadly unable to defeat them as I anticipated."

Show
    FRA: Throw torch out of my square.
    SA:Reactivate bangle of Barriers

19. - Top - End - #349

Mr. Arvodair calls out, "Everyone back away, I am calling forth Aissah. Kaen, back up to the southeast corner of the building. Once you are there and protected and the roaches are on you again, shout that you are ready. Once I open, let Aissah get the first blast in; then drop your thingummy and bolt outside."
    Spoiler: Everyone except Kaen
    Show
    He rubs his lamp and Aissah forms again. "Man inside with lots of roaches. He's going to take cover to the southeast. Ready when he calls me I will open the door."

I will assume everyone backs away, unless you say otherwise.

Kaen, inside, how do you respond?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

"Understood." Kaen responds. As much as he dislikes the bosun's mate, the man had a plan, which was better than what he had at the moment. He deactivates his barrier before retreating to the southeastern corner before reactivating it. He dropped into a runner's stance as he waited for his cue.
    Show
    FA: Drop barrier.
    MA: Move to the southeastern corner.
    SA:Reactivate barrier.

21. - Top - End - #351

There is a long pause ....
    Spoiler: Kaen
    Show
    ("once you are there ...shout again when you are ready")
    Show

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen waited until the swarm covered him before shouting. "I am in readiness, Mr Adovair."
    Show
    I will delay until after "the first blast". After than, I will come out of delay and make a run for the door.

23. - Top - End - #353

Mr. Arvodair opens the door.

Begin Round One ...

R1T22:
    The strange woman is behind Mr. Arvodair in the doorway. She steps past him, up the step and into the building against the eastern wall. Facing the southwest, she breathes in deep, and the strange irregular marks on her body, limbs, and face go from a faint red glow to a brighter orange and she breathes out. Vomiting out of her distending mouth are blackened hunks of burning rock and copious amounts of a viscous, red-orange bright fluid that covers much of the swarm. Many of the cockroaches move out of the way, but this strange attack still washes over the swarm even then to do 6 + 1 fire.

"Leave now while you still can," she says to Kaen. "I will expel noxious fumes that cover a 50' radius. Get everyone well away."

R1T19: The cockroaches try in vain to affect Kaen, but do nibble and bite on the otherworldly woman for 5.

R1T18: Kaen, what do you do?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

For a half second, Kaen was taken aback. He'd assumed that the bosun's mate had some summoned elemental or construct at his beck and call, not something with full speech capability and apparent sapiency. Still, there'd be time to learn what that was about later; right now, he needed to get out of this shed.

"As you wish, madam", he said, dropping his protective field once more. As he dashed out of the building, he called to his teammates. "Noxious fumes are imminent, everyone who breathes retreat!"

Show
    FA: Drop field.
    Double move out of the building
    Last edited by digiman619; 2024-05-03 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Forgot the OOC

25. - Top - End - #355

Everyone else, do you bolt? If so, how far are you trying to get?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356

ElfRogueGirl

Eirina hearing her Uncle's warning decides to get the heck out of there and prompts Ambyr to follow.

Spoiler: RUN!!
    Show
    MA: Eirina does a double move of 60 feet heading North

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Thickness begins jogging away from the building, taking a odd gait.

Spoiler: Distance
    Show

Double move away. Would be 5ft from the door. Swift Hunter's stance and no longer encumbered due to dropping the other armor, so 65ft awayish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Roran is momentarily stunned by Kaen's warning. "Wait--who doesn't breathe?!" he asks as he turns to follow the elf away from Mr. Arvodaor and his lamp-lady.

Show
    Roran will double move (60 ft.) away.

29. - Top - End - #359

Kaen, will you also open datum (i.e., move away)?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen will gradually slow down, turning to face the shed now that he was well clear of it.
    Show
    I figured the double move would have been enough to get me out of the aforementioned 50 foot radius, but let's do one more to be safe.
    MA: Move directly away from the building