New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant: The Lost Outpost [IC]

There are no shark fins circling around in the water. One thing that everyone in the boat and Thickness notes - as Eirina is helped aboard by Mr. Arvodair - is that the Peregrine noticed the attack, and there are many cheers and hup-hups being given in the distance.

What now?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

With the weird water creature stunned and no more immediate threats, Thickness rises to the surface, and starts hauling the creature and its spear back to the boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen dismisses both his weapon and armor as looks out to the water, seeing if anyone else needs help getting back into the boat. Once everyone in accounted for, he will address the party."While having grindylows this close to shore isn't a good sign, they alone wouldn't be enough to ruin a colony like it seems to have happened here. Everyone keep on your toes; I fear more dangerous things are afoot."
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

4. - Top - End - #64

Assuming Arsenne continues what he had originally attempted, the starboard-side grindylow is also brought up, very definitely dead.

Arsenne isn't used to grindylow anatomy, but he determines that the one that Thickness brought back died of untreated shock ... likely from having been wounded badly enough before Thickness struck him to shock his system ... and then while Thickness was doing a safety check and grabbing the creature's spear and bringing it back to the boat, it had succumbed to the shock.

Mr. Arvodair rows the group up to a solitary dock extending from the beach into the bay. The construction is solid and looks recent, suitable for tying off a small boat, although no watercraft are visible. The beach inclines to the east before giving way to grass and trees. Further on in that direction, buildings and a palisade wall stand on the rise.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

When the grindylow moves out of sight, Roran turns his attention to the unusual steam woman beside the boat.
    Whatever it was Mr. Arvodair had intended her to do, Roran is plainly disappointed when she does not do it.

Spoiler: >>>Elyich
    Show
    "Fascinating. Any idea what that lady was?" he asks after observing her return to the lamp.

Roran will then sheath his machete and offer a hand to any who need help climbing back into the boat.

Once they reach the dock, he will disembark, and heading Kaen's warning, draw his greatsword as he observes the nearby buildings and fortifications, checking for any damage or other signs of a battle.
    Last edited by rypt; 2023-11-24 at 06:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Once the threat is over, Arsenne tries to salvage what is left of his ink container, stoppers it, and put it, his pen, and the journal into his backpack.
    Once his companions are back on board, he tell them: "Those of you who are injured, please apply some pressure and elevation to your cuts, as I'm doing with my hand, and I'll wash and dress your wounds once we arrive at the beach."

He then looks at himself and says: "What a mess! I hate getting dirty! One of the things I like about the Glaive is that it's a reach weapon. So if ever the day comes when I need to use it against a deserving enemy, they will be far enough away that they have less risk of splashing blood and guts on me. I did not anticipate that the real danger would be spilt ink and cat barf!"

Finally, upon arriving at the dock, he checks for obvious dangers in the water, then hops overboard to wash off the assorted mix fluids. He then climbs back onto the boat and helps to unload it. "Once we are sure the beach is safe, let me take a look at your injuries."

Spoiler: Heal checks
    Show
    Heal check Roran(?), ear and head : (d20+8)[16]
    Heal check Thikha'Ness (?), calf : (d20+8)[24]
    Heal check self, right hand : (d20+8)[27]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen takes a deep breath. Now he is finally on dry land, he takes a moment to steady himself without the waves interfering. Once finished, he opens his eyes once more, activating his astral skin, its green hue washing over him before changing color to match his nearby environment. "I'm going to scout ahead. Anyone who trusts themselves to be inconspicuous can join me, but the rest of you should follow at a distance. We don't know who or what is going on, so proceed with caution, all of you."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kaen is now in his astral skin, so between losing the -3 in ACP, gaining +2 DEX, and the +2 from Chameleon, if my math is right, I should be doing a +19 for Stealth. Assuming that enhancement bonuses still exist, I guess.

I am planning on scouting out ~50 ft ahead of the rest of the party.

8. - Top - End - #68

ElfRogueGirl

"I'll accompany you Uncle Kaen!" Eirina states after they reached the shore. She was disheartened about not being more helpful during the battle. Her Uncle had gotten a kill as had Thickness but she hadn't even gotten a hit in nor had she been able to cast a spell successfully. She felt the need to prove her usefulness. Scouting and looking for trouble was one thing she was sure she could do well. She then changes her focus, to be as stealthy as an Owl while keeping Ambyr with the perception of a falcon so he could alert the two of them to danger.

"Ambyr! Come! We're scouting ahead with Kaen." Eirina then calls to her cougar to follow after the two of them.

Spoiler: Animal Focus
    Show
    SwA: Changing Eirina's animal focus to Owl.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

After watching Kaen summon forth his armor, Roran looks down at his own scale mail. He tugs at the arm opening, adjusting its setting. "Uhm. I will stay with the others. But if you come across an area you cannot access, well..." He pauses a moment. "It would be easier if I showed you." At that, a long strip cloth, not unlike a scarf, appears draped around his neck. The fabric is a deep blue and stitched along its length are a series of golden runes. Roran gestures to his right, and as the runes begin to glow, there appears a man-sized opening in space. Dipping his head, he steps into the opening and emerges from a nearly identical opening behind Kaen. "It's gotten me out of a trouble on more than a few occasions. Into trouble too, but, well, you know." He laughs nervously.

Show
    Roran with unsuppress his Runecloth of Doorways veil and invest 1 essence into it. He will then create a pair of portals as a demonstration.
    Last edited by rypt; 2023-11-24 at 10:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Thickness, despite his gripe of "It lived when I started bringing it over."", was back to smiling on the last of his swim over. Though while the rest rowed to shore, he dragged the floating and bled out grindelow to the beach leaving a trail of bloodied water up to where he dragged it onto the beach, before rinsing himself back off with that water...

Thickness seemed distracted in thought, barely looking up then away when it came to those volunteering to scout ahead, but rejoining once the bodies were together in the sands. If none objected, he would mark their location with a spear buried point first to act as a marker

Returning his full attention to the group he speaks up.
    "It could be useful if locks are intact. Or perhaps skipping the gates through the palisade if we
    deem it best to enter like theives. Though i offer no great use, unless any who were in the water want help rinsing the salt off."

And with that, he chants a few words, cleaning himself off.

Show

Thickness will accept Arsenne's offer of first aid, would like to consider aquatic race likely funeral practices (Religion perhaps?), and offers presdigitation to clean people. And he cleans himself off.

Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2023-11-25 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Typos

11. - Top - End - #71

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne cleans out the various cuts to make sure there is no infection and ensures that the bleeding stops.
    "O.K. these don't look too bad. I only have one healing kit and a limited limited amount of Shelyn's magic that I can use per day, so hopefully topical care will do for now and I'll be sure to treat them again overnight to speed up the healing. You two should be fine by tomorrow. My own hand might take a bit longer to fully heal."

He then emulates Thikha'Ness and rinses himself off with fresh water conjured by Shelyn's grace, offering to do the same for anyone else who requests it.

He then looks at the group preparing to scout. "I would love to come with you. I'm not much of a hunter. But I used to play hide-and-go seek often with my sisters when we were young. Surely, hiding hiding behind a column or avoiding the squeeky parts of a polished wooden floor are not much different from hiding behind a tree and avoiding broken....OH MY GOODNESS! By all the beauty of the Eternal Rose! Would you look at these seashells! They're GORGEOUS!!! And so many colours! And so big! We never find such pristine shells on the beach back in Almas! Hold on a minute please, let me just pick up a few before we go.... "

He puts down his Glaive out of range of the surf, and quickly picks up a collection of about half-a-dozen shells, popping them into his back pack before speaking in the direction of the sand: "Don't worry, I'll be back for the rest of you as soon as we're done tending to some important business." And he picks up his Glaive and smiles eagerly at the rest of the group.

Spoiler: Healing Attempt
    Show
    Treat Deadly wounds without use of healing kit.
    Last edited by Diavolo; 2023-11-25 at 12:52 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Diavolo View Post
    Finally, upon arriving at the dock, he [Arsenne] checks for obvious dangers in the water, then hops overboard to wash off the assorted mix fluids. He then climbs back onto the boat and helps to unload it. "Once we are sure the beach is safe, let me take a look at your injuries."
    Arsenne, when you were looking where to hop into the water, you spotted a canoe off the western edge of the dock, 10' below the waterline (on the bottom). While .... interesting? Arsenne is far more into the shiny objects of Thickness' cleaning magic, seashells, and healing people.

That is when Mr. Arvodair calls out, "Hey! The colony boat is underwater by the dock here. I'll pull that up while the rest of you look around."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-11-26 at 11:45 AM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne does as Mr. Arvodair said. He 'looks around'. But his focus is literally on the beach itself. He then scoops up three more sea shells, tucks them into his sash and comes over to ask Mr. Arvodair : "Do you need any help with that? It looks a bit unwieldy".
    Last edited by Diavolo; 2023-11-26 at 07:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"Sabotage. Wonderful. If they've taken to such, than I daresay we're assure because of luck. Perhaps our two attackers were the only ones nearby."

Thickness takes a look around for a bit, but instead of offering his strength for the boat, adopts a odd stance, head low he takes to sniffing around the area.

Spoiler: Stance
    Show

Enter Running Hunters Stance gaining scent. Thickness then proceeds to take a sniff around for any tracks, while also looking out for anything of interest.

15. - Top - End - #75

ElfRogueGirl

While scouting ahead Eirina tells Ambyr to sniff around the area and be on the look out for danger, she then hears what Mr. Arvodair said and turns to Kaen. "Uncle do you think those creatures caused their boat to sink under the water? Or is there something more dangerous around here?"
    Last edited by Espeon55; 2023-11-26 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelled a person's name wrong

16. - Top - End - #76

Mr. Arvodair keeps his shield in the longboat but takes his trident and jumps off the end of the dock into the water, then pops back up. "I need some rope. I'll tie it off to the bow ring, and then I need you strappers to haul it up onto the beach. I want to inspect the colony boat and see why it isn't floating."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Roran sets down his greatsword on the dock to rummage through his backpack until he finds a length of rope. He hands the rope to Mr. Arvodair and then steps back. A moment later, he mumbles, "Oh," and then steps forward again. "I can help pull."

18. - Top - End - #78

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne plants his glaive pommel deep into the sand, blade up like a flag pole, at a location equal to about one wave length from the highest point of freshly wet sand. He puts his backpack down beside it, and takes the three seashells out from the folds in his sash and adds them to the backpack. He quickly scoops up another three decent looking shells, brushes off the sand and adds them to pack as well.

He then goes down toward the surf to take a position behind Roran on the pulling train, and does a few limbering up exercises, rolling his neck, his shoulders, his hips, stretching out his upper and lower back, and says : "O.K., I'm ready."

19. - Top - End - #79

Begin Round One ...

R1T19: Mr. Arvodair comes up to the surface in a hurry and calls out, "Critter under the canoe! Tried to magic me. I pulled my back tryin' to stab it!"

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T21:
    Kaen, you heard Mr. Arvodair calling frantically, so you got a "tone" but you didn't understand quite what he said from this distance. What do you do?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen un-suppresed his bow, summoning it to his hand as he rushed towards the sound of the disturbance.
    Show
    MA: Resume slashing volley in shortbow mode.
    MA: Move towards the disturbance. Note that I have a 40 foot move due to my armor being in astral skin form.

21. - Top - End - #81

R2T21: Kaen unsuppreses his bow, summoning it to his hand as he rushes towards the sound of the disturbance.

R2T20: Eirina, you heard about every other word in Mr. Arvodair's shout, but it sounds like trouble, and your uncle just passed you. What do you do, and what do you direct Ambyr to do?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

ElfRogueGirl

Eirina hears the shout from Mr. Arvodair and watches as Kaen springs into action and she decides to follow suit. Longbow in hand she runs towards the action and calls to Ambyr. "Ambyr come! The battle is this way!"

Show
    MA: Moves 30 feet towards the disturbance
    StA: Draws Longbow.

23. - Top - End - #83

R2T20: Eirina hears the shout from Mr. Arvodair and watches as Kaen springs into action and she decides to follow suit. Longbow back in hand, she runs towards the action and calls to Ambyr. "Ambyr, come! The battle is this way!"

R2T19: Mr. Arvodair hustles to move back onto the splashing surf, trident in hand. He looks around at the others. "You kept her from blowing off steam once. She won't bottle it up a second time. Just let her let off a good blast. Stand clear."

R2T14: Again, a gaseous cloud comes out of Mr. Arvodair's lantern and moves several feet to the west before taking on a more semi-solid appearance ... still seemingly made of packed steam, but not as wispy as before. She - for it seems to be female - floats an inch or two off of the water. She stands 5' 7" tall. If she were more solid and made of traditional muscle and not gas an steam, she would way well past 160 lbs. of broad muscle, but guessing her actual weight in this form is impossible. She wears a simple kimono with coral and pink and peach trim. Her hair starts as blue at the roots, quickly brightening out to yellow and then red at the tips. In her hands she wields a flaming jambiya.

She takes in a big breath, which seems to act like a bellows for an internal fire, for as she breathes in, within her semi-opaque form all manner of red-hot tracery forms as if a great fire were within, and she faces downwards at the water and end of pier. You don't know exactly what to expect, but something tells you that you don't want to be in the path of wherever she is about to breathe out.

R2T13: Thickness, what do you do?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Unsure where exactly the threat is exactly, Thickness hurries to Arvodair's position, stopping to take stock of the situation and change his footing.

Spoiler: Move carefully
    Show

Move: 30 to Ardovairs side of the Peir. (Was in Running Hunter Stance using scent on the beach.)
    Move: Active perception check including scent
    Swift: Enter Silver Crane Waltz, +2 AC/Reflex, +4 Initiative.

25. - Top - End - #85

R2T13: Unsure where exactly the threat is exactly, Thickness hurries to Arvodair's position, stopping to take stock of the situation and change his footing.

R2T12: Arsenne, what do you do?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne draws his siangham as he runs along the pier searching for a foe in the water along the dock. He stops once he reaches the conjured steamy-lady and continues scanning the depths. He calls out to Mr. Arvodair: "What was it? Was it another one of those Grin..., those Grindy..., those Squid-Goblins that attacked us on the boat?"

Spoiler: Helpful stats.
    Show

Perception = +8. Move = 30

27. - Top - End - #87

R2T12: Arsenne draws his siangham as he runs along the pier searching for a foe in the water along the dock. He stops once he reaches the conjured steamy-lady and continues scanning the depths. He sees ... something ... well below the water, though refraction makes depth perception difficult.

He calls out to Mr. Arvodair: "What was it? Was it another one of those Grin..., those Grindy..., those Squid-Goblins that attacked us on the boat?"

"Creepy lobster-man!" he answers.

R2T10: Zeferin, what do you do?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

Zef calls out towards the shore "Everything alright?" before holding his shield tight and moving towards the commotion.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Zef moves Left one square, Down two squares and draws his Shield and Warhammer.
    Characters

Zeferin Voss #DAA520 🔨

Games

None Currently.

29. - Top - End - #89

R2T10: Zef calls out towards the shore, "Everything alright?" before holding his shield tight and moving towards the commotion.

R2T7: The little something Arsenne saw zips to the west at a moderate clip for something that swims naturally, and is out of sight.

Initiative Ends!

While the rest congregates, Mr. Arvodair calls out for the strong boiz to continue pulling out the boat (he tosses them the bitter end of the rope that is tied to the canoe).

The steam lady has already moved back into his lantern. Meanwhile, it is clear after a minute or so that what he found is not a persistent aggressor.

Mr. Arvodair looks to Arsenne. "Doc. Pulled my back trying to stab the bugger. You got anything for that?"
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne responds to Mr. Alvodair: "Of course. Let me just help pull this boat out, then I'll take a look at your back. In general, if your back is our of alignment, it will just take me a minute get it back in place if I can crack it just right. If it's a pulled muscle, then we are looking at massage and a night or two of rest. Of course, a dab of Shelyn's healing magic can usually accelerate things a lot. And I still have everyone else's wounds to clean out. We have only just arrived on this island and four out of seven, sorry Ambyr, four out of eight have already gotten hurt! Let's hope that now that we are on land, all that is past us."

Spoiler: Helpful stats
    Show
    Healing +8
    Last edited by Diavolo; 2023-11-29 at 05:52 PM.