New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

Irene Valhoven

Irene shakes her head. "No apprentices right now... I was the apprentice. I understand most of the wards, but they just don't seem to hold up as well as they should. You know, we do have an alchemy lab inside. It's locked, but if you promise to be responsible, I can let you borrow my key. No pranks though, all right?

"Mr. Hanin... yes, it did. Literally vanished off the face of the earth. The foundation is still there, but you can walk right across it and there's no tower. There were plenty of traces of conjuration magic, but not enough that we could figure out what happened or where it went. It was south of here, not too far from Jova. Unfortunately Archaeus had our Rod of Resurrection and his notes, and probably some of the books I need from the library. He was pretty quiet about what he was researching, but whatever it is seems to be lost to us." She frowns, sadly. "Even the books are replaceable. He is - or was - a good man. I wish I knew what happened to him."
    Last edited by J-H; 2023-11-20 at 01:27 PM.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Mustafa the Vampiralgietch
    Human Cleric
    AC: 10 HP: 17/17
    PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

"I wonder how could he have fueled such a powerful spell. The amount of energy necessary to vanish an entire tower... Lords and generals would certainly want this power to attack their rivals and "vanish" their towers. Or perhaps, if the spell transported the tower to a different location, towers could be dropped inside enemy territory without any warning!" Mustafa knew he was overthinking, but the mere possibility of one day waking up to an enemy castle at your doorstep was terrifying. He had been raised in palaces and very much respected the power of a square of stone walls. "Is there anyone else who might know more about what happened?"
    Running Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: IC | OOC
    Playing Dracula's Curse: IC | OOC | Mustafa

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra Hartdegen
    High Elf Wizard Bladesinger 2
    HP: 12/12, AC: 13
    Conditions: None
    Spells: 1st - 3/3
    Bladesongs: 2/2

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you," Cassandra says to Irene, "I'm sorry if my letters have been getting longer. I know I ramble but my family isn't exactly the sort to have long attention spans and it's nice to talk to someone who understands the difference between sigils and runes."

She then sits down and listens to Irene's concerns about the tower. "Archaeus and the Mystery of the Missing Tower has a nice ring to it, though. Perhaps once we find him or he finds his way back to us a bard will tell grand stories about it."
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Irene Valhoven
    "Know more about it? Unfortunately, that's my job. Karol didn't have any other ideas, and if you wanted to ask him yourself, I'm afraid you're a bit late." You all recognize the name of Karol, the head cleric of the Order. "I really don't think it was moved anywhere else in the world, or we'd have heard something."

"Oh Cassandra, it's nice to meet you in person! We may have met a decade ago, but that has been a while. I know I mentioned that the Seal and other wards keep needing to be re-powered more and more often. Feel free to go take a look at the Seal if you want. I have appreciated the letters back and forth. Not everyone likes all the writing and studying, you know." Irene grasps the book at her waist, undoes a couple of catches to open it, and removes a couple of loose sheets from the front, handing them to Cassandra. They are made of the flexible, durable vellum favored by wizards for spell scrolls. "Here you go. The basics, in case you don't have them. If you get bored later, the library has the inks you'd need to copy them into your book."
    (Cassandra gets spell scrolls of Magic Missile and Mage Armor)
    Campaign Logs:

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Chloé Clement
    High Elf Artificer
    AC: 12 HP: 17/17
    PP: 10 PIv: 15 PIs: 11

The suggestion that Chloé would use the valuable chance to look at her alchemy lab up close to pull pranks mortifies the young woman, though her denial of it is held on the tongue only by the realisation it would, in turn, make her look guilty. Instead she settles for a polite "I would love a chance to observe the arrangements in the lab and see what I could learn from it." The prospect is, in fact, intensely exciting, and it's only needing to remain proper that stops her from dashing off with the key to immediately go poke around and see what wonders they have available.

Any platitudes she might have about the lost man and tower die in her throat before she can speak them aloud, all feeling intensely not-useful. "Will you be staying for the entire meeting? It sounds like you're quite busy."

Mostly she just doesn't want to lose access to her 'borrowed' key too quickly.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vidrik Oakheart
    Wood Elf Ranger
    AC: 13 HP: 20/20
    PPer: 16 PInv: 11 PIst: 14

Vidrik follows along with the others to meet this Irene. He does not remember talking to her last time he was here but he knows who she is. He's not terribly excited to discuss magical seals and disappearing towers, it all seems a little beyond his skills to help with that. He is usually more comfortable hunting than solving magical mysteries, but it is exciting to see his companions dig into the puzzle. He asks Irene and the others, especially Cassandra and Chloe.

"Do you think we would be more helpful investigating the tower or the seals?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    AC: 14 HP: 23/23
    PPer: 13 PInv: 10 PIst: 11
    Sabian stretches back, yawning, two empty plates stacked in one hand, The tower would get us out of here, he says to the others suggestively, If we were looking to... you know, avoid the pomp and ceremony.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra Hartdegen

"I have wanted to check out the location of the former tower myself," Cassie muses, "and with my brother here I'm sure nobody will even notice I'm gone. So I'm in."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Irene Valhoven

"I live here, so yes, I'm staying for the entire meeting. Remember, families like yours are what make up the Order. You are a part of it just as much as I am. Archaeus' tower has been missing for years, and..." She thinks for a moment, trying to be diplomatic, "...we've done everything we can think of already. If you want to go look at it on your way home, I might come with you, but we'll see what the elders decide. "

"I know Casamir has been really talking about how important this meeting is, and how we need stronger ties within the order and to the courts in the nations around us. If any of you get asked to travel somewhere far off, send books."

This reminds some of you of social expectations. You are pretty sure that leaving the once-a-decade meeting on the first day for a four day trip is not what is expected of you.
    Campaign Logs:

10. - Top - End - #40

Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    Sabian smiles sheepishly, Yeah, I suppose nona would be upset if I took off. Well, where are the seals located then? Below the Great Hall right? Let's check 'em out!
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2023-11-21 at 03:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Chloé Clement
    High Elf Artificer

Given all the talk about far-off problems Chloé doesn't feel like her question was that out of order, but she bites her tongue on a reply. If she was misunderstood, maybe that was her fault, not Irene's. "The Seals do sound like they might be interesting," she agrees with Sabian, wanting to move on. She could check out the alchemy lab later, at her leisure.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Taking your plates with you, the five members of the group enter the Great Hall. It is indeed quite large, with a high ceiling and four balconies overlooking it from the second floor. It is well-lit by everburning torches, and decorated with colorful tapestries depicting triumphs of the forces of good over the forces of evil, particularly fiends and undead. Several fireplaces on the east side are shared with the Kitchen, and appear to be heavily used today. Numerous doors lead out of the Hall to other places on the ground floor.

Although it normally holds many tables and benches, it is mostly bare today, as the majority of the furniture was dragged outside to enjoy the good weather and allow more space for people to mingle.

You proceed through it, your footsteps echoing slightly off the bare stone floor, to a door located at the rear. It's not locked, as a mere lock would not have a point here. Opening it, you find a spiral staircase descending into the rock below, lit by Continual Flame torches (hereafter referred to as "magical torches" or simply "torches").

These stairs spiral down to a tall room located beneath the great hall. One end of the room appears to be the top of a damaged tower, sunken into the rock below. The doorway in the tower is blocked by an iron door, obviously added later, and the tower itself is carved with a spiderweb-like tracery of runes that glow gold and silver. All members of the order know that this Seal was designed and placed upon the most intact portion of Dracula’s castle, specifically to prevent the castle from being magically rebuilt or re-summoned should Dracula return to the material plane.

More of the castle lies beneath, but as far as everyone knows, it has been silent and empty for over a hundred years.

Anyone who wishes to analyze the Seal should make an Arcana check.
    Campaign Logs:

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vidrik Oakheart
    Wood Elf Ranger

Vidrik continues to follow along. His parents would of course be disappointed in him for leaving the ceremonies above and going to explore, but they were probably going to be disappointed in him no matter what, so he might as well do what he wants to do.

He is excited to see the tower at first. He is in awe that he is looking at Dracula's castle. But then it hits him that this is Dracula's castle, and suddenly he realizes that he doesn't have any bow with him and wants to leave.

"I'll wait for you all to take a quick look, but we should get back upstairs. I'd rather be more prepared before we go investigating Dracula."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra Hartdegen

Cassie nods in agreement with Vidrik, it would indeed be unwise to go any further when she is herself dressed in a beautiful but impractical dress, but she can't help but get a closer look at the seal. Such complex and powerful magic is a rare sight and one would not waste such an opportunity.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana check: (1d20+5)[17]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Chloé Clement
    High Elf Artificer

Chloé barely hears the warning, eyes already darting over the glyphs and runes, wondering just how they'd managed to arrange this - it must have been no small feat, likely the work of multiple ritualists all working in tandem. It probably wasn't something the Order could manage anymore, especially if those who did have the knowledge vanished with their tower without a trace.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Arcana: (1d20+5)[20]
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

It's very complex, with multiple wards interwoven, and is designed to be recharged by having magical energy [spell slots] fed into it. It looks like the set of wards is undamaged and functional, and you don't see any way to improve it.
    Campaign Logs:

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Chloé Clement
    High Elf Artificer

Chloé sniffs for a moment, tasting the understanding on the air. "Looks like it just needs a bit of energy to refill it. I can't make it better, but..." She tugs another vial from her bag - this one filled with a deep blue liquid - and chugs it. The taste is raw and electric, suffusing her with energy that sets the ends of her hair sharp and pointed - energy that she expends by placing a hand on the glyph and letting it flow out of her and into the ward. It was a small gesture, but maybe it'd help, a little. "I can do that much."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Expending one spell slot to give the ward a recharge.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #48

Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    Sabian shrugs, Well, as a time killer, this didn't work too well. But at least we got to see the seals. Pretty remarkable stuff. Nice work Chloe. Let's head back. Who else haven't we seen in some time?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Mustafa the Vampiralgietch
    Human Cleric
    AC: 10 HP: 17/17
    PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 13

Mustafa was awfully quiet the whole trip downstairs. While he had been to the headquarters a few times in the past, he had never ventured so deep into its catacombs. For his own surprise, he was struck by the realization that Dracula was real. For Mustafa, the legendary vampire lord had been a menace of the past, an ancient evil destroyed by his great-grandfather, the first Vampiralgietch. He had been destroyed for good, and the new generations merely had to keep the flame of Good burning throughout the years. But the active seal made him uncomfortably aware of the dark castle that lay below them, the very living heart of Dracula. Perhaps, if they remained quiet, they might even hear it pumping, pumping, pumping through the stone walls.

He shook his head, waving off the bad thoughts."Lady Clement, as much as I believe in your talent, wasn't this seal formulated by the best conjurers in our Order? Perhaps, instead of adding to the spell, we could study from it. I am not a scholar of the arcane arts, but I'm an avid learner, and fascinated with the unknown. I would gladly join you in your studies if you would have me." He was interested in the seal, but the whole unnerving atmosphere had settled quite heavily on his shoulders, and Mustafa didn't feel like spending much more time down there. He turned to the group: "In the meantime, perhaps we should rejoin the party? I have learned a few steps in the ballrooms of Constantinople, and you can teach me those strange dances you have here in the West."
    Running Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: IC | OOC
    Playing Dracula's Curse: IC | OOC | Mustafa

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra Hartdegen

"I do love a good dance, so I'll take you up on that offer,," Cassie says with a mischievous grin, "My family is so terrible at it so I never end up having a good partner. I love them dearly but they've all got two left feet."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

The seal glows faintly brighter after Chloe imbues it with more magical energy.

The group leaves it behind, returning to the brighter and warmer climate of the remainder of the Order...
    Campaign Logs:

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vidrik Oakheart
    Wood Elf Ranger

Vidrik follows everyone back upstairs. It was exciting to see the seals that he had heard so much about, but there wasn't much for us to do about them right now, other than adding a little Cassandra's magic to them. Once back upstairs, he declines any requests to join the dancing, knowing that he has more important work to do here.

"Would anyone like to come with me to talk to Casamir? I'd like to find out what has been going on in court these past 10 years."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

You emerge from the Great Hall and look over the crowd. It doesn't take long to spot Casamir, as he's standing close by, engaged in an animated conversation with a couple of the older adults. As you walk up, you hear the tail end of it.
    "... and that's why I'm pushing for more formal agreements with our neighbors, as well as the more personal ties between families. I know you'll want to think about this and talk with other representatives here. Once you do, please let me know how I can help."

Casamir is in charge of the Order’s foreign correspondence, and spends several weeks each year visiting the neighboring noble families, towns, and cities. If any agreements need to be made, or ruffled feathers soothed, he’s the man. He is an unassuming looking human man of middling height with grey streaks in his brown beard and hair, and an easy, calm demeanor. He is dressed a bit more formally than most of the others.

As you approach, he turns to you. "Ah, are you all having a good time?"
    Campaign Logs:

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Chloé Clement
    High Elf Artificer

Before returning to the surface, she can't hold her tongue back when Mustafa sees fit to lecture her about her actions. "I understand it well enough to know that if I can do something now I should do. Study's all well and good but if we're not applying it then what's the point?" Theory is fine, but too many arcanists seemed to treat it as the be all and end all. Chloé would rather see it put to practice. She wasn't brewing potions just so they could look pretty on a windowsill (even if they did, and they do).

She's met Casamir before a few times, briefly, when he came to visit at the Church, so it's not that surprising she's slightly more comfortable around him than some of the others they might have met. "Hello again. Chloé Clement, if you don't remember me." She bows slightly. This time she had remembered to introduce herself properly. "Everyone has been...very nice," is her diplomatic way of saying she's not having fun but also not being rude about it. "How are things with your work?"

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #55

Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    Sabian's eyebrows pop up and a smirk plays on his lips when Chloe gives a bit of a retort to Mustafa's suggestion that she leaves matters to her betters.

He chuckles and nods to Vidrik, Uh, yeah, I'll go with you to see Casamir. Maybe my Nona will think I'm doing something useful tonight.

When they find Casamir, Sabian is content to simply listen and let Chloe and Vidrik speak. He gives a polite smile but it's clear he is restless and would rather be doing something else.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vidrik Oakheart
    Wood Elf Ranger

Vidrik shakes Casimir's hand in the appropriate greeting for a superior. They have met several times - 10 years ago here, and a few times when Casamir came to the Oakheart house, most recently just a few years ago - but they had not interacted much. Vidrik's father was always trying to make sure Vidrik stayed out of the way so his brother could get the political exposure he would need to succeed. Vidrik usually left to go hunting, which he greatly preferred over this socializing. He does his best.

"Good evening, sir. Yes. The party is lovely."

But Vidrik is not one for small talk, and moves on to more information gathering.

"Any news of the court? Or what our task might be?"

He assumes Casamir knows that Vidrik was selected to represent the Oakheart family for this excursion.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-11-26 at 01:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Casamir Reed

To Chloe: "I hope you have a lovely time. If this is a little too many people for you, you can do as you want and explore - perhaps the library on the third floor? There are many people here to meet, but you don't have to do it all at once." He smiles at her gently.

Responding to Vidrik. "Many of our older members have passed on in the last couple of decades, which has reduced the number of personal ties we have to the nations around us. It has been more than a hundred years since Dracula last returned, and I've received more than a few letters asking if we are considering changing our mission given the dearth of vampires. Anyone will support a militant order that they can point at their enemies, but one that prepares to fight something that is not there is not such a prestigious ally, and donations and volunteers for our cause have lessened greatly."

"Some of our members have moved away, or their heirs have sought to make their mark in other places, doing other things. This is individually good, but thinking back to two decades ago when I was young, there were a lot more people at the gathering. We need to strengthen the ties between the founding and member families - perhaps some of you are working on that?"
    He looks to see if any couples have formed amongst your small group. "No? Well, we also need to support the neighboring keeps and castles and families allied with us. The rapids and waterfalls along the river limit the region to overland trade and travel, as each of you came on your way here. Major centers of wealth and trade always have a river or sea port. Improving the roads may help, but the best thing would be reshaping the river to flow more smoothly. That will be a major investment in time, labor, and magical talent... and if done incorrectly, could cause flooding. In the absence of vampires, we do need to find things to do."

He glances again at the group. "But I'm sure you're not hear to listen to discussions of investments and trade, are you? What can I help facilitate for you and your families?"
    Campaign Logs:

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra Hartdegen

"A sword without an enemy to cut is of no use to anyone," Cassandra ponders, "But swords can indeed be used for other things. Like opening very large letters." She tilts her head and raises her eyebrows, waiting for any reactions.

"Ahem," she clears her throat, "But what else could an order such as ours offer? We cannot rely on the existence of evil to exist ourselves. Are we at a crossroads where we may no longer need to exist at all? Our ancestors joined together to defeat Dracula, after all. If he isn't coming back, maybe the oath, the purpose of the Order, is fulfilled."

She pauses a moment. "That's not to say we shouldn't prepare for any worst case scenarios, mind. Better to have and not need than need and not have. That's why I'm developing this protective magic, so those who cannot defend themselves will be able to do. Perhaps that's the best we can offer in future - prevention and protection, the sword becoming a shield."
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2023-11-26 at 04:09 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    Sabian listens to both Casamir and then Cassandra. He lets out a resigned sigh, his hands clasped behind his head, Wow. This whole time I've been arguing with Nona about how to help the Order. She keeps telling me I have all of these duties to fulfill, but none of them seem to involve actually killing monsters, which is what my family is known for. I just keep telling her I have to continue the legacy, I have to be as renowned a warrior as my parents, and our ancestors. But I guess... he looks to Casamir, Well, it doesn't sound like that's happening anytime soon. Which I guess is a good thing.

He straightens up, his arms come down and to his sides, Well, what do you suggest I can do to help Casamir? I mean... I don't know what else I'm good at other than fighting.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Chloé Clement
    High Elf Artificer

The logic of what Casamir says is sound and infallible, but the idea that the Order might no longer be dedicated to safeguarding against Dracula can't help but fill her with concern. Any healer could tell you that an ounce of prevention was worth a pound of cure. Divesting their attention only made sense so long as their core mission remained intact and supported.

But, in turn, resting on their laurels was no good either. If they could put their skills to work helping people elsewhere, then they should. It would keep them sharp, if nothing else. One can only slap a training dummy so many times before it ceases to help.

"My family is still seeking matches for my cousins and half-brother." And Chloé. She left that part out. She has better things to do with her time. "Guil has some aptitude for magic and an interest in the natural sciences. If you can find him a wife, I expect they'd be more than happy to donate his skills to your river project." She doesn't expect the Clement name will ever rise up to rival any of the greats, certainly not in a time of peace, but if they could put their name on a major project then perhaps it would go someway to increasing their influence.

Even she could play at politics, when there was something in it for her.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC