New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

Casamir Reed

"The future of the Order is one of the things to discuss. There's still the Seal on the ruins of Dracula's castle below, and vampires do still exist. I don't think we'll ever abandon our roots fully, but a re-direction of our main efforts may be required. I'm sure you'll get a different answer from everyone you talk to; Irene wants more research, Captain Ciora would probably favor deploying some of our few soldiers somewhere to face battle, and so on. Every family no doubt has one or two things that best align with their particular interests. Whatever is decided, I'll do my best to see it through.

Perhaps you'll get an answer this week, Vidrik. I encourage you to attend the council meetings if you wish to have a voice, or insight into what may happen. As for Guil, yes, looking for matches is certainly something that happens. Within the order, it's usually up to the families involved, but if there's an external match that can be made, I will certainly let your parents know."
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Mustafa the Vampiralgietch
    Human Cleric
    AC: 10 HP: 17/17
    PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --
    Mustafa drank the words with attention. As Casamir and the others spoke, he went back to the things his parents taught him about the Order. He raised his voice to ask: "Master Casamir, does the order know if some regions are more or less afflicted by vampires than others? Do we have scouts for that kind of work?" He looked from Casamir to the others. "My younger siblings think vampires are scarcely around... My lord father sees one at every corner. Which one is the truth? Did we have any success to exterminate these creatures after a hundred years of hunting them down?"

"In other words... do we know where the evil things are? Or are we hunting their shadows and puppets?"
    Running Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: IC | OOC
    Playing Dracula's Curse: IC | OOC | Mustafa

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Casamir Reed

"From what I know, it's difficult to confirm whether they have been wiped out in an area or not. They are, after all, just as intelligent as any of us. The smartest ones no doubt leave or go into hiding if they find out they are being hunted, unless they feel they can turn the tables in the hunters."
    Campaign Logs:

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Chloé Clement
    High Elf Artificer
    AC: 12 HP: 17/17
    PP: 10 PIv: 15 PIs: 11

They were crossing important names off the metaphorical list at a solid pace. At this rate she'll have introduced herself to everyone in a single day and can spend the rest of the meeting holed up in the lab or library. "Thank you for the information, Mr Reed, I hope your work goes well." She says, signalling none-too-subtly that she has nothing further to add to this or any other questions. Even if she does have half a mind for them, the intricacies of logistics aren't exactly a topic that catches her interest.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vidrik Oakheart
    Wood Elf Ranger
    AC: 13 HP: 20/20
    PPer: 16 PInv: 11 PIst: 14

Vidrik continues his conversation with Casamir. He would rather poke his own eyes out than sit through council meetings, but he tries not to show his distain for them to Casamir. Casamir is nice enough, but politics is grating. Vidrik doesn't understand how anyone could be drawn to it.

"Thank you for the information, sir. The order is lucky to have you looking over things. I will suggest that you not send your forces away too far. The wolf has an easier time if the sheep are scattered. I wouldn't be surprised if the vampires are sowing some of this discontent."

He then follows Cassandra wherever she is going, suggesting a contact if she has no specific plans. "Let's go find Adrian Beltane, the Historian. He might be able to tell us more about the last time Dracula was defeated."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    AC: 14 HP: 23/23
    PPer: 13 PInv: 10 PIst: 11
    We're the wolves, Vidrik, Sabian says with a wink and a devilish grin. You guys go on ahead, I think I'm going to look for the captain. He nods to Casamir, Thank you Casamir, you have given me something to consider.

Sabian then goes to find Captain Ciora, along with any of the group that decides to go with him.
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2023-11-27 at 09:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Casamir bids you farewell and moves elsewhere, obviously with a full list of people he'd like to speak with today.

Captain Dana Ciora
    An incredibly fit half-elf with long blonde hair, an upright bearing, and a face hard enough to sharpen a knife on, Captain Ciora does not look like someone to play pranks on. Today, she’s clad in a formal uniform rather than armor, but despite that still carries a pair of shortswords at her waist.

You find her over at the training yard. Her plate is balanced on one of the posts, and she's eating while watching some of the teenagers - including some around your age or a bit younger - show off their proficiency, tricks, talent, and sometimes lack thereof, with blunted wood weapons and padded armor. Apparently some people didn't feel a need to get a plate of seconds.
    Campaign Logs:

8. - Top - End - #68

ElfWarriorGuy

Human Cleric

"Combat training during a party?" Mustafa was almost tempted by the idea, but he was having a great time gorging himself with the food, and he wanted to save his energy for the dancing! "At least the Order isn't lacking brave warriors. Merhaba, Captain, it is a pleasure to see you after all these years." He greeted hr and stepped aside so Sabian could take the lead in the conversation.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-11-28 at 08:42 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vidrik Oakheart
    Wood Elf Ranger

Vidrik decides to stick together and goes with Mustafa and Sabian to see the Captain.

"Greetings, Captain Ciora. Fine looking recruits you have here."

He knows it was just his last visit when he was one of these youngsters. He continues the conversation with small talk, letting the others ask their questions as well. When he gets a chance, he asks her about her take on the court.

""What are your thoughts the upcoming council meetings? Do you expect anything interesting?""

10. - Top - End - #70

Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    Sabian walks up to the captain and gives a proper greeting, then asks, Captain, do you have a moment?

We were just speaking with Casamir, and he was making note of the needs of the Order. He mentioned the need for more soldiers, and... well, I'm wondering if there is a way to fulfill my duty to my family and the Order, while doing something that I excel at.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Captain Dana Ciora

Captain Ciora turns her head to look at you as you approach her and nods, "A good afternoon to you. It is good to see you again. These meetings bring a many people back who otherwise do not participate."

"There are a few potential recruits in there, although some need more work than others." She winces slightly as a thirteen year old trips over her own feet and tumbles head over heels while trying some overly fancy footwork. "We actually don't have as many formally enrolled soldiers as we used to. There are better ways to make a name for oneself or a fortune, and with our main foes gone or in hiding, those we do have lack combat experience unless they're above a certain age... and of course humans can't afford to put in a 30 or 40 year term of service perfecting their skills. Lifespan, you know. Although plenty who live longer lifespans like myself and the elves and dwarves seem to have met their ends as well. It doesn't matter what your ears look like or how long you'll live if your ship sinks or your horse slips and you bash your head open against a rock"

"We're rapidly approaching a time of change, both in the Order and in our leadership. No offense to some of your storied ancestors, but a lone warrior with a holy weapon still has to eat, sleep, and repair his armor, and is much more likely to be surprised than several properly-equipped, trained, and led squads with less flashy weapons and plenty of holy water. If you want to help, consider exercising your leadership skills. Find something that needs to be done, start doing it, and inspire and help other people to do the same. Seek the glory for those you lead instead of for yourself. I'm hoping the meetings will help us figure out what needs to be done. Maybe we should range farther afield since Dracula is gone, and work on moving from being a regional organization to one with smaller operations in every nation in the area... but that would be a discussion for Casamir. Not every king, emperor, or lord is willing to let other people operate small private armies in their demense, and it would be expensive."
    Campaign Logs:

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Chloé Clement
    High Elf Artificer

Being a leader is the furthest thing from Chloé's mind, and for all of the Captain's talks of branching out she couldn't imagine every taking point on anything except labwork. At least her discoveries were universally useful, whether it be against Dracula or elsewhere. She couldn't say the same for soldiers, though she expects there would always be bandits and other ne'er-do-wells to handle.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vidrik Oakheart
    Wood Elf Ranger

Vidrik listens to the Captain. He probably shouldn't question her military tactics since he is a hunter, not a true soldier, but he sees some correlation between hunting and war.

"I think spreading out the forces could work, if you have a plan to quickly consolidate them for any threat. It might lure the vampires into a false sense of security so they are more likely to show themselves. A flushed rabbit is easier to kill. Do you have any other advice for us? Anyone here we should particularly trust or avoid?"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Captain Dana Ciora

"Everyone attending here is already related to the order. The wards should alert us if any undead enter the manor or cross the walls, and I don't think they've gone off. The order isn't a political power, so I think you'll find most of the differences come from family ambitions or disagreements about the future. The challenge would be making vampires feel safe enough to make their presence known.

Or maybe we're just successful."
    Campaign Logs:

15. - Top - End - #75

Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    Sabian slowly nodded at Dana's words. Feeling confused and a bit defeated, he doesn't know what more to say. He smiles and says Thank you Captain, I will think on that.

It seems Sabian's preoccupation with the feats and merits of his ancestors is misguided, but he doesn't know where to go from here. He lingers around while the others continuing speaking.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

A crunching sound from the practice yard swiftly distracts you. Two boys, brothers and maybe twins by the look of them, were using full-sized wooden swords that were, for them, heavy two-handed swords. One of them is now down, clutching at an area between his neck and shoulder, while the other has dropped his sword and is kneeling by his brother.

Captain Ciora vaults over the fence and crosses to them with swift strides (anyone who wants to can join her). "Move your hand... hold still."
    "Ooooow!"

She turns back to you or anyone who is near. "Broken collarbone. Fetch his parents or aunt or uncle or whoever's with him. Brahms, right?"
    He nods, teary-eyed.

"Also, get a healing potion. Kid, you're going to be off sword duty and wearing a sling for the next two weeks. After that, whoever's teaching you is going to work on your footwork for dodging, or shield use, or both. I'll talk to your brother later about controlling his swings."

Spoiler: Medicine DC 10
    Show

Wound-curing magic can reset bones easily enough, but it tends to repair them to a "fixed" state, which can hinder future growth. Healing potions draw on the body's own resources, and can be applied in small amounts over time so that the ability of a growing body to continue growing isn't hindered.

=>What do you do?
    Campaign Logs:

17. - Top - End - #77

Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    Sabian leaps over the fence alongside the captain and squats down beside the boy. He peers at the site of the break when the Captain exposes it, Doesn't look too bad. Sabian pulls down his own collar and reveals a scar on his own collar bone, Looks close to mine. You're lucky. Training isn't only about how to hit, but also how to take a hit. So this was a full practice session. He smiles reassuringly at the boy, I know it hurts, but you're still okay, right?

Captain's right, after a couple of weeks in a sling you'll be back to training, and teaching your brother how to properly control his blade, he gives the brother a stern look.

He looks to the others in the group, If we can get that healing potion, that will help. He turns to the boy, If you sip the potion and take it over time, it will help your body knit back together in proper form. If you drink it all too fast, the bones will knit together as they are and then, he picks up his brother's wooden sword and starts rotating at the waist, arm and torso stiff and not moving, you'll be moving around like this. His movements are exaggerated and comical.

Spoiler: Medicine Check
    Show
    (1d20+1)[17] To see if Sabian can provide some insight on the healing potion.
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2023-11-29 at 11:38 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vidrik Oakheart
    Wood Elf Ranger

since it looks like the Captain has her hands full and Sabian has already given them good advice, Vidrik lets them handle it. He could give the child some healing berries, but if they have healing potions, he'll let them take care of it. Once Sabian is ready, Vidrik suggests we leave the captain to her work here.

"Shall we go find the historian. Have a good day, Captain."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Chloé Clement
    High Elf Artificer

Chloé frowns at the injury, but finds she has no great insights to offer that Sabian didn't already give - other than that healing potions can have cinnamon added to them to boost the taste without hindering their efficacy, but that's probably not important in the here and now. Her own potions - of which she has just one on hand - would be far too potent and fast-acting to deliver the necessary healing. "Anyone have anything..." A glance around answers that question well enough - that there is not. "I'll see if there's anything in the lab." It wasn't far away, after all. Just a quick trip through the Great Hall. She tries to hurry, without looking like she's running, which amounts to a rather ridiculous looking half-trot.

It wasn't quite how she wanted to be looking at the lab, but time made enemies of them all - at least until she worked out how to bottle time. Rumour (and it would always be a rumour) had reached her of an ancient alchemist who had managed to do just that, and though it had allowed him immortality, he had not retained his youth. Now little more than a skeletal master of potions, he garbed himself in thick Eastern clothing to hide his face from the world, lest they look upon his visage and strike him down as an abomination. Personally, she'd much rather have both time and youth but- What was she doing again? Right, healing potion.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2023-11-30 at 04:04 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

The Alchemical lab is a long, narrow room lined with workbenches, cabinets, and shelving full of components and tools. There’s enough room down the center for two people to pass each other without bumping, but not much more than that.

Chloe is easily able to find the storage areas, and retrieves a healing potion. She notes that there are a number of other healing potions inside, as well as several vials of alchemist's fire, holy water, acid, and a couple of other potions - but she's on a mission. She returns with the potion and helps apply a few drops to the boy's collarbone while the others hold his shoulder straight. Someone has retrieved a strip of cloth, and his arm is put in a sling.
    Campaign Logs:

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Chloé Clement
    High Elf Artificer
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11

Chloé's ministrations prove successful - not that there was much actual medical knowledge required once the potion was applied. "There. A little bit at a time, thrice a day until it's all healed or all gone, right as rain in no time." Her words were almost delivered with confidence, but her stance and occasional stutter ruined that. Too many eyes on her at once.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I'm not overly fussed for next steps, happy to move on to drama or meet new people, but I'll tie break towards drama if it's needed.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2023-12-02 at 07:23 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #82

ElfWarriorGuy

Human Cleric

As some of his new associates seemed to disperse organically after they came back from the catacombs, Mustafa found himself tasting another glass of wine - O, the wines of Romenia! - and swinging his way to the grand hall.

He joined the ongoing communal circle dance, clapping his hands on the right tempo and mostly following along what he saw other people doing. Often he included quirks and spins from his own style, or from dances of distant kingdoms he had witnessed in the ballrooms of Constantinople.

Show
    At this point, you can consider Mustafa will tag along with the group if we decide to gather or go talk to someone. He just be vibing.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Hitting the fast-forward button a bit
    Mustafa joins in the dance and is having a good time. Some of the rest of you are less comfortable jumping into social situations, and watch from the sidelines like the awkward young adults you are.

After a few minutes, a wizened and stooped half-elf with grey-white hair and mischevious eyes approaches you. He appears quite old, but still carries a dagger in addition to his cane, and a vest with a number of bulging pockets. “Hey, are you guys bored talking to stuffy old folks yet? I could tell you about the time I spider-climbed up a wall and shot at dancing ghosts from a chandelier… orrr do you want to go look at some really powerful magical artifacts that your ancestors used?”

Spoiler: Perception 14 or Arcana 12
    Show

His vest is probably a Vest of Holding based on the fact that it appears to have no weight despite the pockets being quite full.

You've heard of your ancestral weapons, but haven't gotten to see them - at least, not in a decade - and readily agree. Mustafa notices you leaving and joins when he finds out where you're going. He leads the party up to the third floor via the northwestern staircase, although his pace on the stairs is about a third as fast as what you could make.

Anyone who wants to stop on the way back and take a quick peek into one area on the way can do so (please specify).

Your route takes you through the Great Hall, then to the back corridor, which ends in a pair of staircases. "And there's the secret exit... but it's a secret," he comments as you pass through that corridor (Active Perception or Investigation check needed to find it; this counts as your one "stop and look" on the way).

The stairs on the second floor open onto a U-shaped perimeter hallway close to the Armory. “You know, I wasn’t too much older than you when I decided to get really rich looting…I mean slaying Dracula.”

Finally, you reach the third floor, where the perimeter hallway, lit by windows all around, takes you past the vacant barracks (you know these are empty) and into the Library. The massive library slopes up to a high ceiling underneath the peak of the manor’s roof. It contains thousands of books. Many are historical and general tomes, as well as books on spellcasting. It also contains seating areas, and a workbench used for copying architectural plans and spell scrolls. Those of you who have visited before know that there is also a collection of books compiled by the Order about how to identify and defeat different types of monsters, especially the undead.

Leading you into the library, Adrian walks over to a bookshelf and reach behind some books, manipulating something out of sight of the party (Perception DC 22 to identify how he does it). The bookcase swings back into the wall, and he escorts the group into the Hall of History.

This wood-paneled room is lit by mage-lights on the ceiling, each focused to shine on a particular plinth, table, or weapons rack where items are mounted on display. The artifacts associated with each of your heritages are on display... The Decanter of Holy Water, a large silver flask that never fully runs out. The Mithril Holy Symbol, shining in the light. The Stake Launcher, a powerful darkwood heavy crossbow. The Shield of the Unyielding, coated in dark adamantium and marked with many holy symbols. The Vampire Killer, a thin mithril chain coiled up.

There are also several empty weapon cases. Adrian points out a bow rack as having held a bow that belonged to an elf who disappeared a few years back… he can’t recall how long. In addition to weapons, the room also holds a hand-illuminated holy book over 400 years old, the severed hand of a mummy, the skull of what was apparently a black dragon, a statue made of manticore spikes, a beholder eyestalk in a jar of alcohol, and other trophies of battle.

“Those are for looking at and admiring, not for touching. They aren’t yours, yet."

(What did you talk about on the way? What did your character stop and look at or briefly explore?)
    Last edited by J-H; 2023-12-02 at 08:34 AM.
    Campaign Logs:

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Chloé Clement
    High Elf Artificer
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11

Chloé breaks off almost immediately into their little walkup, taking a second chance to look around the alchemy lab, check its contents, and see if she could identify any of the potions (or how she would have made them if they're ones she's already familiar with). Time is still against her though, and she finds her visit cut short a second time, trotting out with her tied hair bouncing to the rhythm of her steps.

Her conversational skills are still distinctly lacking, but she does at least manage a bit of small talk about what she can do - read and brew potions. And draw maps. And pick locks. And write calligraphy. And she's a surprisingly deft hand with a bow, even if she doesn't look like the type. Potions are her main thing though - magic in a bottle, ready to be dispensed at a moment's notice in weird and wonderful ways. As if to emphasise the point, she opens her bag an coaxes out a small floating cloud of white that swirls in her palm, at the centre of which is a gleaming orb swirling with a golden liquid.
    "You can even crystallise facsimiles of life," she says proudly. This was her creation, one that she'd researched herself, formulated herself, and created herself, without anyone's guidance or instruction. It was fragile, still, but the animating magic allowed it to serve as at very least a watchdog for her.

Show

Flubbed both her Arcana and her Perception rolls for the vest and the secret way to open the room.

Spoiler: Servant Statblock
    Show

PB=2

Tiny construct
    Armor Class: 13 (natural armor)
    Hit Points: 6 (1 + your Intelligence modifier + your artificer level (the homunculus has a number of Hit Dice [d4s] equal to your artificer level))
    Speed: 20 ft., fly 30 ft.
    STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    4 (-3) 15 (+2) 12 (+1) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 7 (−2)
    Saving Throws: Dex +2 plus PB
    Skills: Perception +0 plus PB x 2, Stealth +2 plus PB
    Damage Immunities: poison
    Condition Immunities: exhaustion, poisoned
    Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10 + (PB x 2)
    Languages: understands the languages you speak
    Challenge: —
    Proficiency Bonus (PB): equals your bonus
    Evasion. If the homunculus is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, it instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails. It can't use this trait if it's incapacitated.
    Actions
    Force Strike. Ranged Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, range 30 ft., one target you can see. Hit: 1d4 + 2 (PB) force damage.
    Reactions
    Channel Magic. The homunculus delivers a spell you cast that has a range of touch. The homunculus must be within 120 feet of you.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vidrik Oakheart
    Wood Elf Ranger

Vidrik follows along with the others, trying to stay observant, looking for the secret door and then for whatever mechanism Adrian used at the bookshelf.

When the weapons are shown, he approaches the crossbow. His father had shown it to him once before and demonstrated how it used the oversized bolts. He was in awe then and is in awe now. He thinks he could take down a bear with that weapon.

He looks to others to see if they know anything about the others.

"This crossbow shoots stakes, which could come in handy with Dracula. I'll just need to hit him in the heart. Tell me about the other weapons."

Show
    Perception for secret door (1d20+6)[10]
    for bookcase (1d20+6)[15]

26. - Top - End - #86

ElfWarriorGuy

Human Cleric

Mustafa was a magician and a man of faith, so the holy symbol naturally drew his attention -- but not so much as the Vampire Killer. The beautiful chain enchanted to kill vampires and night creatures, the legendary Belmonte weapon from which he had heard so much. And now... Was he listening right? That weapon could be his one day?

He looked around to his peers. Reality came down on him as he noticed several others who would be more suitable to wield the Vampire Killer. And none of them seemed worthy of a powerful Holy Symbol. Perhaps it was meant to be. Perhaps it was better this way.

"Old Master, may I ask a personal question? Did you ever have the privilege to wield these treasures? To study them, observe them, and learn their history?" He finally raised his eyes from the Vampire Killer. "Who made them? I have never heard of anyone capable of forging weapons like these in neither side of the Mediterranean."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra Hartdegen
    High Elf Wizard Bladesinger 2
    HP: 12/12, AC: 13
    Conditions: None
    Spells: 1st - 3/3
    Bladesongs: 2/2

The Vampire Killer. It called to Cassandra, as if it was as restless as she was. As if it understood. To dance and, in dancing, to slay the undead. It shouldn't be surprising that a weapon called the Vampire Killer would almost hum with a desire to hunt and some part of Cassandra, like many of her family, was drawn to that desire.

Even so, Cassandra wasn't like most of her family. They could lose themselves in a bloody frenzy, tearing through the forces of darkness to sate their thirst for death, but the only thing Cassandra must allow herself to become lost in is the dance. That was the true strength of the Hartdegen family.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check for secret exit: (1d20+3)[7]
    Perception check for bookshelf: (1d20+3)[11]

Lulz those were both terrible.
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2023-12-05 at 01:28 PM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

28. - Top - End - #88

Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian

Vidrik approaches the crossbow, "This crossbow shoots stakes, which could come in handy with Dracula. I'll just need to hit him in the heart. Tell me about the other weapons."

Sabian is standing at the Shield, Not a weapon, but a shield; the Shield of the Unyielding. We Skellegues are known for our fury and ferocity in battle, but what I told the youngster downstairs is true; fighting is just as much about taking hits as doling them out. And not only taking those hits; resiliency is nothing if you can't keep fighting. Skellegues train to have skin of steel, bones of stone, and an iron will. No matter how hard the enemy strikes, a Skellegue will keep fighting as if he was swinging his sword the first time that day.

Unyielding. Holding back the horde, so when it comes time for you to make that shot Vidrik, you'll have the space to do it. So long as a Skellegue is fighting before you, you'll have your shot.

Sabian speaks proudly about his ancestral relic, but it fades quickly. Inwardly he wonders if he will ever wield the shield, or have reason to. He smiles sheepishly at Vidrik, Well, that's the idea anyways.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

As you travel upstairs, nobody manages to spot the secret door. It probably won't matter, anyway, or maybe you can come back later and look for it in more detail. You're pretty sure you're old enough to know about it.

"Young Mustafa, I once fought Dracula himself, along with a group of close friends. You may not recall, but I was one of those who founded the Order some... few...years ago. We made our way through the castle, battling minotaurs, skeletons, and even a couple of other vampires, plus many other servants of evil. So many, created by him, or called to his will from sleep, the dark places of the world, or from beyond this world..."

"But the weapons, yes. It is true that weapons, and shields, and the like are enchanted. Some things wear out as they get old, like my memory and my knees. Magic doesn't work that way. Take a sword with an ordinary enchantment. Then put it in the hands of a devoted holy warrior who uses it to fight and smite evil for decades, channeling divine power through it hundreds of times, or a shield used to resist thousands of blows and sprayed with the blood of friend and foe alike. If only a tiny" (he holds his fingers very close together) "Amount of that magic is left behind each time, that is still enough to alter and increase the magic of the weapon. These items were not created at once, by the will of a wizard or cleric; they were created over time, through blood, battle, grit, devotion, and will. That is also why they tend to stay within families."

The floor shakes with the audible vibration of a heavy thump. Adrian pulls out a lens on a chain from one of his many pockets. “Huh.” He puts it to one eye and squints, then looks around and up and down and around. “I wonder what fell over? The ability to see through walls, quite han--.”

He pauses, then his voice goes serious as he stares through the walls at something only he can see. He starts speaking with more focus and energy.

“Ignore what I said. Pick up your ancestors’ tools. You’re not ready to wield them, but you don’t have a choice. There’s a dragon in the courtyard, one wreathed in shadow, and I see a fiendish wizard with him… Yugoloths? They’ve blanketed the courtyard with poisonous clouds.”

He touches his shirt. It shifts its appearance, revealing it to be a black set of leather armor adorned with spiderwebs, and pulls a bow out from one of his vest pockets. “My generation are all about dead now, and they’ll be expecting to find me. The wards on the building may hold them outside for a few minutes, but not more than that, and everyone else who could fight them was probably outside.”

He points at the five of you. “You, take these weapons and make sure they don’t fall into the hands of evil, whatever it is. You probably have time to stop and grab some supplies on your way out, but don’t take too long. Stay low, get away, and try to get help. If no help is to be found, get some vengeance instead. Here’s a key to the door in the back hallway on the ground floor, if you don’t want to go out the back windows.” He tosses a key to Sabian.

He leads the way out the door from the Hall of History, then walks as quickly as he’s able to one of the windows in the perimeter hall. Following, you see him kick it open. He steps out onto the side of the building as he nocks an arrow.

You now have to decide how much time you want to spend gathering supplies, and from where, versus how quickly you want to escape.
    Time will be tracked increments of 1 minute.
    Checking a room for and retrieving specific supplies takes 2 minutes unless otherwise noted.
    Moving between rooms on the same floor takes 1 minute.
    Moving to a room on a different floor takes 2 minutes.
    Map link for convenience.
    Campaign Logs:

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vidrik Oakheart
    Wood Elf Ranger

Vidrik hears the thump. He listens to the old elf describe the situation.

"We aren't doing the hunting here, we are the ones being hunted. If they are trying to flush us to chase us down, we need to make sure it at least hurts."

He panics for a second. His family was out in the courtyard. He wants to go save them. But he knows protecting these weapons is more important. He grabs the crossbow and all the stakes he can carry.

"I'm going to the armory to get some armor and a sword. Let's meet there. If anyone needs to go somewhere else, do you need me to find you anything in the armory? Don't worry about food. I can keep us fed. We need waterskins though. Hopefully there are some adventuring supplies in the armory, but if you see backpacks and waterskins, grab them."

With that, he runs down the stairs to the armory.

Show

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-12-06 at 09:31 AM.