OldWizardGuy

Default Re: El Goonish Shive X: Please Don't Feel Bad

Because of Grace, I keep expecting Jay to wear a saddle. ^^;
    I've got a webcomic: Sarcantasy.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Yeah, I honestly just expected Grace to have noticed that Hope was sitting all sad and alone.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pax1138 View Post
    Yeah, I honestly just expected Grace to have noticed that Hope was sitting all sad and alone.
    I don't think it's sad and alone so much as "overwhelmed by people chattering around her"

4. - Top - End - #214
    Colossus in the Playground

Her thoughts prior to come in make it pretty clear it's not either so much as "actively avoiding these specific people," but of course Grace doesn't know that.

Anyway. Jay. Gets to meet Tedd, as she apparently wanted, possibly not in the setting she wanted.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Her thoughts prior to come in make it pretty clear it's not either so much as "actively avoiding these specific people," but of course Grace doesn't know that.
    Oh, I think it's entirely clear it's both. Go back and look at the opening to part 1 - she is NOT good in crowds. She's panicking over meeting Tedd & associates, but she's also struggling badly with the people-full environment.

Anyway. Jay. Gets to meet Tedd, as she apparently wanted, possibly not in the setting she wanted.
    And not in the gender she wanted.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Hmm, wonder if this is going to end up being the thing that signals to the group that she's also a magic user, she has a 'lie better' spell she could use to cover a weird reaction like 'hey why did you assume Tedd was a girl', but that's also a spell Tedd might be able to recognize.
    Last edited by Errorname; 2024-02-24 at 10:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    Hmm, wonder if this is going to end up being the thing that signals to the group that she's also a magic user, she has a 'lie better' spell she could use to cover a weird reaction like 'hey why did you assume Tedd was a girl', but that's also a spell Tedd might be able to recognize.
    A spell she "learnt" from Diane... But which Tedd did not see Diane use yet. The only times she used it at the party, she wasn't within sight of Tedd, conveniently keeping Diane in the dark about her own magic.

If I understand how Seers work correctly, Tedd should be immediately capable of "seeing" Jay use the "Convincing Voice" spell, even if it's normally a very sneaky one.

As an aside, it seems to me this spell is less about lying, strictly speaking, and more like Commanding Voice/Make People Listen and/or Believe to you - the first time Diane used it, she wasn't lying.

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    A spell she "learnt" from Diane... But which Tedd did not see Diane use yet. The only times she used it at the party, she wasn't within sight of Tedd, conveniently keeping Diane in the dark about her own magic.
    Umm, what?

That was a whole thing. It's why we know what the spell is and how it works.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #219

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Umm, what?

... I had completely removed that from memory, lol

10. - Top - End - #220

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    If I understand how Seers work correctly, Tedd should be immediately capable of "seeing" Jay use the "Convincing Voice" spell, even if it's normally a very sneaky one.
    Wizards and Seers seem to have some sort of active magic sight that lets them detect and copy spells, but it has to be active for it to work. Tedd misses Diane’s first use of the spell and only clocks it the second time because they were working on the mirror and in focus mode

The question is if Jay uses Diane’s “Persuade Check Advantage” spell, will Tedd notice without needing the sight. Because they aren’t going to break that out unless they’re already suspicious of something, so does the spell have a subtle tell that they can recognize now that they’re familiar with it.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dang, thanks for digging it out. I also completely forgot about it.

And damn, it is good to be reminded how great EGS already is for years. With most other comics over the past 20 years i paused from time to time, like a food i eaten to much of. EGS is just like vegetables, always good, always nourishing.
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

12. - Top - End - #222

Ah. So Nanase's mother constantly pushes her to do things such that Nanase doubts her ability to motivate herself without being constantly supervised. How...sweet and endearing. *contemplates Mrs. Kitsune balefully*

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Ah. So Nanase's mother constantly pushes her to do things such that Nanase doubts her ability to motivate herself without being constantly supervised. How...sweet and endearing. *contemplates Mrs. Kitsune balefully*
    I mean that just makes me think Dan's ADHD is leaking into Nanase now.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

It's nice to have Barb get a mention. But it continues to sadden be that her name is not actually Barb.

15. - Top - End - #225

RedKnightGirl

To be fair, that is a thing that happens. You get used to parental pressure pushing you to do basic self-care and then when you start living on your own without that pressure you slack off and leave things undone. That's a known thing even in families where the parents aren't nearly so strict as Mrs Kitsune is.

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    It's nice to have Barb get a mention. But it continues to sadden be that her name is not actually Barb.
    It feels very appropriate that the two characters who debuted as background extras in the same story that got promoted to actual characters because the author liked their spiky haired designs would be friends.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, that is a thing that happens. You get used to parental pressure pushing you to do basic self-care and then when you start living on your own without that pressure you slack off and leave things undone. That's a known thing even in families where the parents aren't nearly so strict as Mrs Kitsune is.
    It's especially prevalent in kids with ADHD going off to college for the first time!

So I expect this happened to Dan himself and he thinks it's completely normal and happens to everyone.

No I'm not saying it only happens to people with ADHD, I'm just saying Dan has a hilarious habit of adding ADHD or autistic traits to his characters because he thinks it makes them relateable and I love him for it.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well, it DOES make them relatable to certain people who've had similar life experiences
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark or Steve here looks like a cross between Tedd and Elliot.

Here Rich learns that sufficiently good looking people can pull off any style. That's why fashion shows use them as models. If they used regular people as models, there would be no way for anyone to ignore how ridiculous the outfits are.

Jay only has one side shaved? I thought she had a kind of mohawk thing that was flopped over on one side instead of standing up. You know, like a pony's hair. Did Grace lie to us? Now it makes no sense that she was wearing a saddle.

19. - Top - End - #229

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Jay only has one side shaved? I thought she had a kind of mohawk thing that was flopped over on one side instead of standing up. You know, like a pony's hair.
    Looks like it's only shaved on one side?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

I think both sides are shaved, but only part of the top is? Kind of like a lopsided Mohican.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

21. - Top - End - #231

In Parable, the back of her right side was shaved, but the front wasn't. (That said, her look in the dream didn't quite match "reality", with longer hair and being bigger in places.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Halfling in the Playground

Is there a reason the whole comic shop would go quiet at Susan entering, specifically one that may be deduced by anything already in the comic so far?
    Last edited by Devlerbat; 2024-03-08 at 02:15 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

That moment when you forget you're a local celebrity in geek circles and enter a comic shop.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    Is there a reason the whole comic shop would go quiet at Susan entering, specifically one that may be deduced by anything already in the comic so far?
    What Fyraltari said.

Also, someone elsewhere reminded me of this Chekov's Gun which hasn't gone off yet... https://www.egscomics.com/egsnp/forreals-18

25. - Top - End - #235

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That moment when you forget you're a local celebrity in geek circles and enter a comic shop.
    Yeah, this. Doesn't help that the people who probably don't know about the show have other reasons to b caught off guard by her presence

What Fyraltari said.

Also, someone elsewhere reminded me of this Chekov's Gun which hasn't gone off yet... https://www.egscomics.com/egsnp/forreals-18
    That honestly kind of looks like Tedd's mom to me. Even if they aren't, they definitely seem like an adult with an actual professional show

26. - Top - End - #236

"great-great-great-great-great-great-(I'm not sure how many greats)-granddaughter"

Wow, Raven old.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

"great-great-great-great-great-great-(I'm not sure how many greats)-granddaughter"

Wow, Raven old.
    Considering that he was born in times, when medieval swords were still used, yes: Raven old.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

28. - Top - End - #238

That honestly kind of looks like Tedd's mom to me. Even if they aren't, they definitely seem like an adult with an actual professional show
    Yes to the latter, but the commentary admits the character hadn't been designed yet, so I wouldn't read too much into any resemblance in the silhouette.

29. - Top - End - #239

RedKnightGirl

Wow, Raven old.
    Yeah, we don't know his precise age, but if we do the math (Pandora had him when she was 156, Pandora has been older than 300 for at least a few centuries) at the absolute youngest he'd still be pushing 400, and he could be quite a lot older than that.

Yes to the latter, but the commentary admits the character hadn't been designed yet, so I wouldn't read too much into any resemblance in the silhouette.
    I lean Noriko as "if it's someone we've heard of, it's her" but true that it could easily be a new character
    Last edited by Errorname; 2024-03-08 at 09:11 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Halfling in the Playground

They keep mentioning how the review show doesn't have a name, but the channel must have a name right? Is the channel just "Susan Pompoms" (or Susan P. to not show her last name)? I don't know why I am asking you this since I am sure it was never answered in the comic.