New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive X: Please Don't Feel Bad

Flatly asserting that something is bad writing without support is also not a convincing argument. And you did catch that you were explicitly more than four years off in your "not in the comic in five years or more" claim, right?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    other amateur writers
    By what standard is Dan an amateur writer?
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

There is a big difference between a minor character who hasn't appeared in a while and a character who was specifically built up as being important to the story and has been completely irrelevant for years after. You'll note that no one is joking/complaining that Dan forgot Rhea.
    Rhea was one of the stars of the "Wrong Answers Only" Q&A from the NP strip three years ago, less than your five year cut-off.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

There is a big difference between a minor character who hasn't appeared in a while and a character who was specifically built up as being important to the story and has been completely irrelevant for years after. You'll note that no one is joking/complaining that Dan forgot Rhea.
    Weird plural in "years" there considering it hasn't even been a year

Also, trying to defend bad writing by pointing out that other amateur writers do the same thing is not the convincing argument you seem to think it is.
    It's a common problem in the medium for reasons that don't have to do with writing quality, but rather with the nature of the production and how it's released. If a comic is being made by a single artist and distributed page-by-page, chapters and books can take a long time to finish being made. Secondary characters (or even main characters) being absent or out of focus during specific chapters or books is entirely normal, it just takes longer for a webcomic to cover that space.

5. - Top - End - #185

I will give you one thing - Ashley being able to tell Liz about her magic/etc was built up as being an important thing for her during the "Title Pending" party arc, and Liz hasn't even appeared since, let alone that conversation being shown. (And Ashley has suffered from a degree of Flanderisation to boot)

6. - Top - End - #186

Sure thing. There are absolutely legitimate criticisms that can be made of EGS. (Whether the one I put in the thread title turns out to be legitimate is currently up in the air, in my view.)

I just don't think "this webcomic writer hasn't mentioned that character in a while (as the plotlines deal with other characters), clearly they forgot that they exist" qualifies as a legitimate criticism.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I just finished reading this webcomic, and I really enjoy it. Is there a posting schedule on this?
    For every battle lost, there is a battle won.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by ProgressPaladin View Post
    I just finished reading this webcomic, and I really enjoy it. Is there a posting schedule on this?
    Usually M/W/F for the main strip, and Tue/Thu/Sat for NP. The main strip's been spotty over the past few weeks though, between chapter breaks (which usually have a couple of skipped updates) and the author being sick for a few days.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Also, that "willingly" is doing a lot of work there. Most people don't dream of working menial jobs 8 hours a day or being an underpaid food delivery person, but have to take that job to keep a roof over their head. Is that willing?
    Yes? You entered that contact to do the food delivery job to voluntarily exchange your time and labor for currency, presumably after reading it, and can terminate that contract at any time. If you don't like your situation you can seek employment elsewhere or perhaps by selling your own goods produced by your labor, maybe you will get good enough to hire people to help you, then you will be the capitalist who will treat your employees better than you were treated.

Sad truth is, all survival requires labor, whether yours or someone else's. To say that you shouldn't have to means you are taking time and labor from someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Neither is the court of the law. Just because its legal doesn't mean its right or should be allowed.
    Be that as it may the person at the top is still a person with their own thoughts, feelings, perspective and ideals and deserves the same level of justice as the person at the bottom. Full stop.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

You'll note that no one is joking/complaining that Dan forgot Rhea.
    Yes, but that's because he made the bigger mistake of forgetting the Demonic Duck.

Also I mostly brought up Noah because this seems like a natural arc for him to become important again. EGS suffers from being published slower than it's number of plot arcs would ideally benefit from, but it's not as bad as it could be.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Yes, but that's because he made the bigger mistake of forgetting the Demonic Duck.

Also I mostly brought up Noah because this seems like a natural arc for him to become important again. EGS suffers from being published slower than it's number of plot arcs would ideally benefit from, but it's not as bad as it could be.
    Hope has yet to actually visit any of the people that Pandora cared about. I am sure Noah will be in the story once she starts visiting her family (if not sooner for other reasons.)

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    Hope has yet to actually visit any of the people that Pandora cared about. I am sure Noah will be in the story once she starts visiting her family (if not sooner for other reasons.)
    Noah might become relevant once the fugitives from the other side of the world make their move. For one, he is a vigilante hero. Second of, he is also a seyunolu, which may be relevant, when the time comes to negotiate with said fugitives.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    Hope has yet to actually visit any of the people that Pandora cared about.
    Are we not counting the invisible feminine figure who caught Diane when she fainted, and skedaddled without saying hello? (And had to suddenly learn how to use doors)

14. - Top - End - #194

Diane was never a person Pandora indicated caring about.

15. - Top - End - #195

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Not even once! Pandora cares about her descendants a great deal, but she only knew Diane was family for maybe a day.

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Not until she found out she was her granddaughter, and that only close to the last minute. At which point, things changed.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2024-02-05 at 06:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Are we not counting the invisible feminine figure who caught Diane when she fainted, and skedaddled without saying hello? (And had to suddenly learn how to use doors)
    Well, no because I had thought we were talking about the belief that Noah should have been in the recent just completed chapter, not a previous one that actually did have Noah in it. Also, I don't really count it as visiting a person when the person doesn't know you were there.
    Last edited by Devlerbat; 2024-02-07 at 02:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198

PaladinGuy

I feel that, if anything, the comic gradually shifted away from a big, epic narrative to a more slice of weird, magical life type of story. We still get big arcs with fights and clear villains, and there is an overarching narrative, but consider how many pages have been devoted to, for example, Susan's conflicting feelings about Diane and Raven, or Elliot coming to terms with his gender identity and transformation forms.

Noah was introduced back when Dan was writing a different story, one that looked like it was barreling fast towards epic conclusions. His introduction as a super-duper special guy is almost concurrent with Lord Tedd, a character Dan has explicitly said he regrets having introduced before the time was right.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    I feel that, if anything, the comic gradually shifted away from a big, epic narrative to a more slice of weird, magical life type of story. We still get big arcs with fights and clear villains, and there is an overarching narrative, but consider how many pages have been devoted to, for example, Susan's conflicting feelings about Diane and Raven, or Elliot coming to terms with his gender identity and transformation forms.

Noah was introduced back when Dan was writing a different story, one that looked like it was barreling fast towards epic conclusions. His introduction as a super-duper special guy is almost concurrent with Lord Tedd, a character Dan has explicitly said he regrets having introduced before the time was right.
    If that were the case, the shift to a more character-driven drama was made many years ago - decidedly earlier than Noah was introduced. The whole "New and Old Friends" and "Night Out" parts happened even before "Painted Black" and we had a first glimpse of Noah in the subsequent arc. It has been even more time before he properly appeared in the comics - way after a whole arc about school uniforms and Grace's party that I'd say cemented the focus on the characters and their relations.

20. - Top - End - #200

OldWizardGuy

Whichever the comic is going, I'm here for it.
    The slice of life is fun, the grand plot can be very surprising and exciting. And the overall setting is fascinating.
    Like I said: I'm here for it.

21. - Top - End - #201

RedKnightGirl

Still curious how Susan fits into this arc. I'd been assuming she was going to have her own B-plot because I couldn't see her coming to the game, but I'm kind of second guessing that instinct now.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not really surprised by how Grace behaved, but it is kind of funny as it looks as if she played a game of "Hi, have you met Tedd?"

23. - Top - End - #203

OldWizardGuy

I like that Tedd and Grace are rocking a couples look. ^_^ With Grace even using her shapeshifting to augment it.
    I've got a webcomic: Sarcantasy.

24. - Top - End - #204

RedKnightGirl

Increasing convinced that Susan's showing up for this tournament.

25. - Top - End - #205

OldWizardGuy

I'm concerned that we'll see Ellen's dragon powers resurface because those three revolutionaries with the staff will steal away Nanase's 'royal' aura.
    I've got a webcomic: Sarcantasy.

26. - Top - End - #206

I don't think that's very likely. She's too manifestly both good and politically powerless.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelkin View Post
    I'm concerned that we'll see Ellen's dragon powers resurface because those three revolutionaries with the staff will steal away Nanase's 'royal' aura.
    Do we know that it's Nanase? - it could equally be Rhoda or Mr Verres.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

28. - Top - End - #208

What's It?

If you mean, who is their current target, their description doesn't fit any character who's been introduced.

If you mean, who is Dan planning to have them steal a royal aura from, I think y'have multiple assumptions there that I don't share.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Do we know that it's Nanase? - it could equally be Rhoda or Mr Verres.
    Somebody speculated earlier they eventually run into Edward and that makes sense to me, because he's the only 'royal' figure we know of who meets their assumption that anybody with a royal level of magic must be a powerful figure in a position to influence things without being overtly or publically in control (because this side of the world doesn't automatically equate powerful magic with leadership.) Even if they do find Nanase or Rhoda they're unlikely to try to steal their magic, because they're trying to do this ethically (within a .. certain definition of ethics) and Nanase and Rhoda aren't in charge of anything that they can point at and say 'you have been abusing your magic and the privileges that affords you, so we are justified in taking it from you and using it to help our own people.'

Edward actually -is- (or was) a powerful magician in a secret position of influence, so he's an acceptable target to take from, and dramatic irony arises from him being actually legitimately a good person rather than using that position for self advancement or to try to abuse the public in some fashion.

30. - Top - End - #210

RedKnightGirl

Well that's not who I was expecting but I was wondering when this character would show up again.