New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Undead Warlock Melee - No multiclass

Hi,
    We are about to start a campaign Vecna: Eve of Ruin and I'd like to play Undead Warlock with melee. No multiclass allowed. Starting at level 10.

We have a group of Fighter (probably Rune Knight), Hexblade Warlock, Bard (not sure about class) and Necromancer Wizard.

I know that Undead Warlock is not optimal, but I like the theme of going against one Lich because my patron (also Lich) said so. And now I am thinking whether to go PAM Undead Warlock with Glaive or if Greataxe with Heavy Armor will be better.

What are your thoughts about this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Undead Warlock Melee - No multiclass

I've played a melee Undead Warlock (from 1st to 9th level) and it was a lot of fun!

I used the Githyanki from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, when they still got Medium Armor proficiency, and I built a Knight pacted to Vlaakith. We used the Tasha's Customize Your Origin rules, so I started with:

STR 8
    DEX 16 (15 + 1)
    CON 14
    INT 8
    WIS 10
    CHA 17 (15 + 2)

I invested as much as I did into DEX because I only started with the Warlock's leather armor. Pretty early on, I was able to loot some scale mail from an enemy, and then a few sessions later, some half-plate. Between 17AC and 1d10 + level temporary hit points twice a day, I was our party's tank, even though my weapons were a pair of daggers. My Invocations were Agonizing Blast and Beguiling Influence (this was getting swapped out). At 3rd level, I picked up Pact of the Blade, and swapped Beguiling Influence for Improved Pact Weapon, to make the rapier I summoned +1. And then pretty shortly after that I found some Gauntlets of Ogre Power, so I was able to go full Githyanki and make my pact weapon a great sword. At 4th level I took Great Weapon Master and never looked back. It was a FUN time. Between that and Spirit Shroud, I was kind of a chain saw. 2d6 (3d6 on my first hit, after 6th level if I was in my Form of Dread) + 2d8 + 15 on a hit was a lot of fun to roll.

By the time that game fizzled out I had 66 actual HP and then, across the day, an average of 58 Temp HP from Form of Dread. I had an 18 AC from a cloak of protection & half plate. So even to the “late” game, I was pretty tanky. Whenever the Cleric decided to Bless the group, I was a prime target, to counter balance the -5 from GWM. If we ever get back to playing that game, I’m excited because in the hoard after that last fight, we found a belt of hill giant strength.

If you get to start at 10th level, I think you'll have a good time. I wouldn't worry too much about comparing yourself to the Hexblade: they might do more damage and be SAD, but you'll bring more durability and control. My ASI at 8th level was spent on Shadow Touched so that I could Inflict Wounds as a dread knight of Vlaakith (and for that +1 CHA), but Heavy Armor would've also been a solid pick up. Or even War Caster. War Caster would've opened me up to using Booming Blade on my Reaction, which would have been tasty.

TL;DR: Melee Undead Lock is fun, it's got some build challenges, but there's enough there in the class to make it worth it.
    Last edited by DracoKnight; 2024-05-19 at 10:45 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

wink Re: Undead Warlock Melee - No multiclass

Thanks for the quick reply!

I had to pick a dwarf as we are not allowed to have legacy races, but that doesn't really matter. :)

Your character sounds like a lot of fun! Looking forward to mine. I chose strength because of heavy-hits and healing at level 14. It should be 2d12 (weapon in Form of Dread) + 1d6 (Hill Strike) + 4 (Strength) + 1 (Pact Weapon) + 2d8 (Spirit Shroud) and optionally 6d8 (Eldritch Smite) when I want to hit heavily to massively heal myself.

Here is the draft of the character:
    dndbeyond.com/characters/124831570/EMvzzx

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Undead Warlock Melee - No multiclass

Quote Originally Posted by Pegak View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I had to pick a dwarf as we are not allowed to have legacy races, but that doesn't really matter. :)

Your character sounds like a lot of fun! Looking forward to mine. I chose strength because of heavy-hits and healing at level 14. It should be 2d12 (weapon in Form of Dread) + 1d6 (Hill Strike) + 4 (Strength) + 1 (Pact Weapon) + 2d8 (Spirit Shroud) and optionally 6d8 (Eldritch Smite) when I want to hit heavily to massively heal myself.

Here is the draft of the character:
    dndbeyond.com/characters/124831570/EMvzzx
    It looks like you’re well on your way to a good time!
    If a Player's fun comes from picking the "right" options, but they respect the table, that's fine. Let the Optimizers and Power Gamers have their fun. It's the Power Creeps who lack Table manners.

I'm the Knuckle!