New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 3.5: 38 pages, and I still don't know how to play D&D

Quote Originally Posted by Auerkan View Post
    Q 124b

Would Mind Seed work on a dragon polymorphed into a humanoid? Multiple people have argued that RAW Awaken can be applied to a Wizard Polymorphed into Animal, so it should be same process.
    A 124b

Yes, it would work.

Every spell whose description refers back to the Polymorph spell changes the subject's creature type. Thus, a dragon polymorphed into any humanoid species gains the Humanoid type and becomes susceptible to any magic – or any psionic power – that affects Humanoids. Moreover, "a spell only checks to see if you are a legal target when it is cast. If you become an illegal target later […], the spell remains in effect." This rule appears on page 87 of the D&D 3.5 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (of the 30th of June 2008). Thus, any dragon that is a Humanoid at the moment you target it with the Mind Seed power is affected normally, and changing the creature back into a dragon does not reverse the effect.

Q 124c

Not related to original question, but instead to 124b. Will a corpse under Shrink Item - Permanency retain the effect once raised as undead, and if so, what size would be creature of initial Colossal or Medium size?
    A 124c

Weirdly, yes.

Strangely enough, I think the aforementioned rule from the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS, as well as all the rules I can find on pages 171 and 172 of the PLAYER'S HANDBOOK v. 3.5, lead us to conclude that, yes, if you start with a shrunken corpse, then you create a shrunken Undead creature. If you don't want this to happen, then you should first dispel the Permanency spell and then use the corpse to create an Undead creature.

According to the description of the Shrink Item spell, the spell's target shrinks "by four categories." However, this spell cannot affect any object whose volume is greater than two cubic feet per caster level. So you can't use this spell to shrink a Colossal corpse down to Medium size, but you can use it to shrink a Medium-sized corpse down to Fine size.

Q 125

Is there anything preventing projectiles from benefitting from all four types Quivers of Energy at once?
    It seems like arrow taken out of one retains the charge forever(until it is used for attack), and it does not use word "spell"/"power" anywhere in the body so it should not overwrite one effect with another.
    A malicious interpretation of my stance would claim it means arrow can benefit from two Quivers keyed to same element as well, however my counter-claim is that arrow charged with one Ice Quiver does not benefit from second because it is ALREADY dealing 1d6 extra cold damage, while same does not apply to cold-charged arrow inserted into acid Quiver.
    A 125

One arrow cannot benefit from two or more Quivers of Energy at once.

The problem is this. Firstly, in order for an arrow to be imbued with the power to inflict an extra 1d6 Hit Points of some kind of energy damage, it must be stored inside a Quiver of Energy "for at least 1 round before being drawn." Secondly, the arrow "loses this extra damage after it is used in an attack, or 1 round after it is drawn (whichever comes first)." So if you have already stored an arrow inside a Quiver of Cold Energy long enough to imbue it with the power to inflict Cold damage, but then you transfer it to a Quiver of Fire Energy, the arrow needs to spend one round inside the Fire Quiver to gain the power to inflict Fire damage, but during this time, it must lose its power to inflict Cold damage.

It is possible to carry two or more Quivers of Energy at once, so that you are always prepared to shoot two or more kinds of magically imbued arrows that inflict two or more kinds of energy damage. (A quiver is not the kind of magic item that occupies a body slot.) However, each arrow can inflict only one kind of damage by itself.

It is possible to use the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat to imbue a single magic arrow with the power to inflict more than one kind of energy damage. For example, you can craft an arrow that is both a Flaming arrow and a Frost arrow, or even an arrow that is a Flaming, Frost, Shock, and Thundering arrow. Of course, a magic arrow of this kind costs a lot more to create and has a correspondingly much higher market price.

Q 126

Actually, I would like to put it to completion, once and for all. I am sorry if this appeared already, but my search genuinely did not bring up anything conclusive.

Can several castings of Extract Gift, at same CL and ability bonus magnitude, grant benefit simultaneously?
    A 126

Every time you cast a spell, you get another chance to succeed; thus, all previous failures do become irrelevant.

For example, you can cast the Charm Person spell once and fail, but the next time you cast the Charm Person spell, you may succeed. Your current success effectively makes your previous failure irrelevant.

The same is true of the Entice Gift spell. (I think you meant to say "Entice Gift," right?)

The only problem is the word "simultaneously." The only way you can cast two spells simultaneously is to use the Twin Spell feat. (Refer to page 84 of COMPLETE ARCANE v. 3.5.) This requires you to use a spell slot four levels higher than the spell that you intend to cast twice simultaneously. If one twinned spell fails but the other spell succeeds, the result is a success.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2024-05-19 at 07:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 3.5: 38 pages, and I still don't know how to play D&D

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Urrel View Post
    A 126 I think you meant to say "Entice Gift," right?
    As a matter of fact, no, I meant Extract, which "ability bonus magnitude" points to. Necromancy Sor/Wiz 5 spell that takes some essence of the demon(no actual game effect on it) and applies it to a target creature in form of ability bonus up to half demons ability modifier or CL/4, whichever is lower.

As alternative I am willing to accept judgement on (Greater) Bestow Curse, Ruin Delvers Fortune or un-augmented Animal Affinity also aimed at different abilities/saves(as appropriate), since the gist is about the same.

This is a long-living debate, and I am not against opening a separate thread dedicated to it if it means there is a definite answer either way, since nothing I could find makes it final enough for me.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q127:
    After 8 years of DMing I suddenly ask myself:
    When a monster entry gives you the treasure value (none/standart/double)
    Does that include what the creature might carry in gear?

Like if a giant has a treasure value of 4k GP. I can then create treasure up to that value. Gold, art, potions, gear, other....
    But do I also have to give out the gear he is wearing? Armor, weapons, rings....? Which are sometimes not really listed.
    For example, I can calculate through if the club of a giant is a magical weapon or not or what kind of armor he is wearing, but in other examples (usually pre written adventures) it clearly states the entire gear for humanoid creatures and others.
    Last edited by Bobur; 2024-05-14 at 01:20 AM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 127

The entries of War Troll (MM 3), 4th level Barbarian Ogre(SRD), Mind Flayer 9th level sorcerer(MM) and 7th-Level Fighter Harpy Archer(SRD) include their gear in treasure, so yes, equipment counts as part of it.

Troll Hunter does not follow this pattern but it seems to be an exception.

5. - Top - End - #275

The above question was 129; there were questions 128 and 127 on the previous page that went unanswered.

Q 130

A magical whip is adorned with a Lesser Crystal of Return.

Lesser: As the least crystal, and in addition you can call the weapon (if unattended) to your hand from up to 30 feet
    away as a move action.
    As I understand it, "unattended" means "not in the grip/possession of another creature". What happen if the whip is entangled or even tied up (with a knot) to an inanimate object (for example to cross a chasm by swinging). Can the original owner still call the whip back to hand thanks to the weapon crystal, and it will magically untie itself?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #276
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Q 131:

If I have multiple meldshaper classes, and I take levels in a prestige class that opens additional chakras, can I bind melds from both classes to those chakras?

For example, say I'm a totemist 2/incarnate 3/ironsoul forgemaster x, and I'm using my ironsoul forgemaster levels to advance my incarnate meldshaping. When I reach ironsoul forgemaster level 4 and unlock my arms chakra, can I bind my totemist soulmelds to it?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Simple RAW for 3.5: 38 pages, and I still don't know how to play D&D

Q 132:

Are there any (non magazine) 3.0/3.5 spells that are both reflex save and a fear effect?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q 133
    Trap the soul is a summoning spell, what would happen if the caster releases a trapped creature in conjuction with summon augmenting feats? More precisely with the beckon the frozen feat from frostburn.
    am was here

9. - Top - End - #279

Q 134

A Sorcerer who summoned a familiar has the beast unfortunately killed. According to the rule, "A slain or dismissed familiar cannot be replaced for a year and day."

A) If the character then gain a first level of Wizard, and thus gain the summon familiar feature again, can he summon a new familiar even if it's been less than a year since the death of the first?

B) Even the answer to the above is "no", what if the first level of Wizard is with a variant that grants a different kind of familiar? For example Drakken Familiar (Dragon Magic), Deathwalker (gains an undead familiar), Fleshcrafter (gains a stitched flesh familiar) or Soul Reaper (gains a spiritual vassal) (all three from Dragon Magazine #312). Can he then summon immediately this new kind of familiar, even though it's been less than a year since the death of the Sorcerer's standard familiar?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2024-05-19 at 09:35 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #280

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pezzo View Post
    Q 133
    Trap the soul is a summoning spell, what would happen if the caster releases a trapped creature in conjuction with summon augmenting feats? More precisely with the beckon the frozen feat from frostburn.
    A 133

The Augment Summoning feat does not affect the Trap the Soul spell.

According to the description of the Augment Summoning feat, this feat bestows enhancement bonuses on each creature that you conjure "with any summon spell." This phrase does not refer to all spells of the Summoning subschool – which would be called summoning spells – but only to spells that have the word "summon" in their names. These include the Summon Monster spells, the Summon Nature's Ally spells, the Summon Swarm spell, and the Summon Undead spells. They don't include the Trap the Soul spell.

The description of the Beckon the Frozen feat (from page 47 of FROSTBURN) has the same wording. It applies to any creature or creatures that you summon "using any summon spell."
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2024-05-19 at 02:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q135

Are inherited template given traits considered racial traits?

For example, would a character with an inherited template would lose most of the template features by going through the rite of rebirth?