New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: Dragon Fall War 5e

Quote Originally Posted by Benoojian View Post
    Wendell gives a small bow to the Librarian, as any keeper of knowledge deserves. "We would like to research the locations, allies, protections and weaknesses of the 5 Great Calamities, such that we might strike down the great wyrms and prevent a great evil. I would also like to purchase a few books of general knowledge for my spellwork."
    okay Party "the 5 Great Calamities"
    these are NPC Rolls
    perception: (1d20+23)[43]
    Insight: (1d20+23)[25]
    Intimidation: (1d20+23)[42]

locations: (1d20+23)[37]

allies: (1d20+23)[39]

protections: (1d20+23)[37]

weaknesses: (1d20+23)[35]

great wyrms: (1d20+23)[29]

RE:
    Dragons: row 14, shelf 4, book 17
    Locations of dragons row 29, shelf 8, book 2
    Allies of dragons row 9 shelf 1, book 99
    Weaknesses of dragons row 35 shelf 19, book 33
    Protections of dragons row 10 shelf 2 book 44

For character knowledge purposes, if you look in the monster manual the stat blocks for the various colored dragons is the basic info that you will get for weakness, protections

you will need to ic what you do as far as the rows, shelves and books are concerned

as for locations

black are typically in or near swamps
    red are typically in or near hills or mountains
    green are typically in or near hill forests or mountain forests
    blue are typically in or near large bodies of water
    white are typically in or near icy,snow covered plains or mountains

as for allies

most anything evil that follows dragons so, kobolds, lizard folk, ect...
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-12-06 at 06:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Woop! first post on the second page, did I level up? lol
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Re long distance travel quickly, i see juste has teleport an teleport circle, i dont think i saw anyone else with it, and i dont think i saw plane shift, JUSTE, if you want to check the conditions for teleport, circle, as to see if you have been. Know of ect... make the following checks, arcana, history and perception

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

*Checks spell list* my fighter barbarian did not take either of those spells.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by redfeline View Post
    *Checks spell list* my fighter barbarian did not take either of those spells.
    Spell of kick arse take names

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So there isn't a distance attached to the teleports in 5e, guess I never looked. Just the consequence table with teleport. Interesting.
    I like the globe warm...

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    So there isn't a distance attached to the teleports in 5e, guess I never looked. Just the consequence table with teleport. Interesting.
    from dndbeyond

Teleport

spell instantly transports you and up to eight willing creatures of your choice that you can see within range, or a single object that you can see within range, to a destination you select. If you target an object, it must be able to fit entirely inside a 10-foot cube, and it can't be held or carried by an unwilling creature.

The destination you choose must be known to you, and it must be on the same plane of existence as you. Your familiarity with the destination determines whether you arrive there successfully. The GM rolls d100 and consults the table.
    Which is why I said:

to see if you have been. Know of ect... make the following checks, arcana, history and perception

With the information from Serenity + the Books I am giving the party the benefit of " Description "

Very familiar 01-05 06-13 14-24 25-100
    Seen casually 01-33 34-43 44-53 54-100
    Viewed once 01-43 44-53 54-73 74-100
    Description 01-43 44-53 54-73 74-100
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-12-09 at 08:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

I have wind walk for fast travel 300 foot flying speed for 8 hours, that’s 270 miles. Not quite as good as teleport but doesn’t require knowledge.
    Edit: this is 10 times the normal traveling pace of which turns a month of travel into 3 days.
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2023-12-09 at 03:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A moons travel in this world is about 720 miles. Side note, I thought 300 feet per minute was about 3 miles an hour or about 24 miles a day.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2023-12-09 at 03:24 PM.
    I like the globe warm...

10. - Top - End - #40

Planetar

A moons travel in this world is about 720 miles. Side note, I thought 300 feet per minute was about 3 miles an hour or about 24 miles a day.
    That’s 300 feet per 6 seconds not per minute 10 times as fast
    Probably will force rounding to 240 miles like the travel pace rules round 30 foot travel to 24 miles, but that’s still 3 days to a moon.
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2023-12-09 at 03:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Didn’t realize it was 300 per round. Thought it just said flying speed of 300 feet.
    I like the globe warm...

12. - Top - End - #42

Planetar

Didn’t realize it was 300 per round. Thought it just said flying speed of 300 feet.
    Yes as opposed to walking speed of 30 feet normally

@DM Is the silver mirror focus expensive enough to use for scrying?
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2023-12-09 at 04:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

“I typically wind walk to get where I need to go, but even that will only cut the travel down to weeks for all five instead of years since we must traverse the entire world to track down these beasts.”
    I am seriously wondering why you would post this in that fashion... scratches head

I have wind walk for fast travel 300 foot flying speed for 8 hours, that’s 270 miles. Not quite as good as teleport but doesn’t require knowledge.
    Edit: this is 10 times the normal traveling pace of which turns a month of travel into 3 days.
    Yes as opposed to walking speed of 30 feet normally

@DM Is the silver mirror focus expensive enough to use for scrying?
    RE: Scrying the spell...
    Material Componant : * - (a focus worth at least 1,000 gp, such as a crystal ball, a silver mirror, or a font filled with holy water)

*simple answer - YES

RE: Wing Walk the spell...
    COMPONENTS: V, S, M *
    DURATION 8 Hours

Description:
    You and up to ten willing creatures you can see within range assume a gaseous form for the duration, appearing as wisps of cloud. While in this cloud form, a creature has a flying speed of 300 feet The only actions a creature can take in this form are the Dash action or to revert to its normal form.

Material Componant: *(fire and holy water)

*I believe the intent of the wording was 300ft per round but WOTC made things a bit glossed over in 5e

300ft per 6 seconds x 10 = 3000 ft per minute x 60 = 180,000 ft per hour OR 34 Miles Per Hour

The moon travels at roughly 2,288 miles per hour, (1 moon also referred to as a moon phase takes 29.5 days) at this speed.

Teleport is definitely faster
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-12-09 at 07:29 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post

The moon travels at roughly 2,288 miles per hour, (1 moon also referred to as a moon phase takes 29.5 days) at this speed.

Teleport is definitely faster
    I thought you meant the amount a human could travel in one moon phase (i.e 24 miles a day for 30 days, 720 miles), because I've never heard of this measure and didn't expect anything to be measured in MILLIONS of miles (2,288MPH for 29.5 days is 1,619,904 Miles[about 65 times around the Earth], is that really the distance you meant?).
    Teleport also has about a 6% chance of generating enough mishaps to roll damage higher than our hit die when using description only, so I was bringing up alternatives.

15. - Top - End - #45

Planetar

I thought you meant the amount a human could travel in one moon phase (i.e 24 miles a day for 30 days, 720 miles), because I've never heard of this measure and didn't expect anything to be measured in MILLIONS of miles (2,288MPH for 29.5 days is 1,619,904 Miles[about 65 times around the Earth], is that really the distance you meant?).
    Teleport also has about a 6% chance of generating enough mishaps to roll damage higher than our hit die when using description only, so I was bringing up alternatives.
    EDIT: Deleted my post until we clear this up, because I'm very confused about this measurement.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure if " arcana, history and perception" includes me but if it does

(1d20+9)[10] arcana <- f.u. nat 1
    (1d20+9)[12] history
    (1d20+5)[22] perception

waste of +9s good perception however
    Last edited by redfeline; 2023-12-10 at 12:17 AM.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by redfeline View Post
    Not sure if " arcana, history and perception" includes me but if it does

[roll0] arcana <- f.u. nat 1
    [roll1] history
    [roll2] perception

waste of +9s good perception however
    It includes anyone with the skill

Benoojian

I can see your confusion on travel when the term moons is applied,

Just for the sake of clarity 1 moons worth of travel is 29.5 days 3 moonx would be 88.5 days

Thats the distance,
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-12-10 at 01:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Planetar

It includes anyone with the skill

Benoojian

I can see your confusion on travel when the term moons is applied,

Just for the sake of clarity 1 moons worth of travel is 29.5 days 3 moonx would be 88.5 days

Thats the distance,
    So we were correct in our assumption, just slightly less exact in assuming 30 days.

And Wind Walk lets you travel at 10 times the normal speed, so the time should be 1/10th, not the same. so instead of traveling between 1 to 4 months for each of five two way trips it would take 3 to 12 days for each leg, so you didn't say where the Azur ocean was but visiting the other five locations would take 3 days to white 1, then 3 days back to town, then 3 days to green, then 9 days to white 2 if we guessed wrong, then 12 days back to town, then 3 days to red. So 33 days plus however long to the ocean. Instead of 11 months (years was an exaggeration but not by much).

Actually teleport can cut those trips down by a lot, since we can memorize waypoints to get 'very familiar' results instead of 'description'. 3 to white 1, teleport to town, 3 to green, 9 to white 2, teleport to town, 3 to red, teleport to t. So 18 days of travel. Plus however far the ocean is and teleporting back from there. (Clerics and Druids have Plane Shift so I can prepare that when we need to get to another plane for the final mission) Unless there's a sizable town with a teleportation circle near one of those locations.

Perception (1d20+10)[15]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rolling for an arcana check, just in case. (1d20+9)[11]

Figures.

So how I was figuring the travel, as a non-math person. Normal travel for d&d at a walking pace is 24 miles per day. A months (moon's) worth of travel is roughly 30 days. So 24 miles times the 30 days is 720 miles or how far you could walk in a month would be that, 720 miles. If we are able to travel 10 times as fast as we can walk, then that same trip would take 3 days. The only 'rub' I can see is a landing spot within each 8 hours spell expiration stopover and rest.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2023-12-10 at 06:14 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

If travel is planned for properly walking wise there is very little back tracking,

As for wind walk spell speed 34mph x 8 hr = 272 miles per 8 hrs continuously traveled so take that into account

And as no one has actually asked distances, I will give the hint that Serenity is exacting or literal in her things said from that book of hers..

Serenity Comments
    So she tells me you wish to research something, I would have you tell me what it is you wish to research and please be specific.

Then as if in a trance...
    coming out of the trance

Serenity stops reading from the glowing book which has now stopped glowing, if you attempt to look at the book you will find no words appear on any page.
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-12-10 at 08:24 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Location Information based on rolls

(1d20+9)[10] arcana <- f.u. nat 1 *( you believe that the locations are right here in this very archive
    (1d20+9)[12] history *( you have heard of ravensburg and have a basic idea of where it is, it has a teleportation circle
    (1d20+5)[22] perception *( you notice that every time serenity gives an answer it is as if she is in a trance and that book of hers glows

Perception (1d20+10)[15] *( you notice that every time serenity gives an answer it is as if she is in a trance and that book of hers glows

arcana check, just in case. (1d20+9)[11] *( you have a basic understanding of where the locations are but without some form of long distance travel it will take months
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-12-10 at 08:32 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think I have a grasp of it now. So until someone answers the question IC I can't really post.
    I like the globe warm...

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

question
    "Do we have any means of traveling these great distances quickly? If not I believe the question of urgency has been answered for us."

as that is asked of the party I know at least 1 has teleport and teleport circle, and 1 has wind walk, 1 can get plane shift
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-12-10 at 08:50 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

More information regurding distances, and locations your characters have a good idea where these places are that are refrenced , serenitys choice of refering to distsnce as a factor of time , is more of how the character is... i appologize if this has caused confusion
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-12-10 at 01:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Planetar

More information regurding distances, and locations your characters have a good idea where these places are that are refrenced , serenitys choice of refering to distsnce as a factor of time , is more of how the character is... i appologize if this has caused confusion
    I still don't know why you said 2,288MPH, it doesn't appear to be connected to anything else that was going on.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Me being me ignore it

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

On phone atm but i will get the ic for serenity in a bit, is its fairly long winded

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

On phone, pc is occupied
    List of teleport circles from serenity, here this kingdom, ravensburgj, greyhawk, iron island, elphenheim and ukarei
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-12-11 at 08:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

okay so I was asked if I could provide something of a world map, I will put this on page 1 as well, this is not official to my world as I have not gotten that as of this game, but it will work for this game.

this kingdom > find on the main large area the 2 lakes lower left, this kingdom and its TP Circle are almost right in between those lakes

ravensburgh >main land area middle mountains, follow that all the way to the east and its most northern point then between that point and the snow to the north

greyhawk > main land area go to that large desert looking area and right in the middle of it

iron island >middle of the large island to the south west

elphenheim & ukarei > large island to the north west all most in the middle of that
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-12-12 at 11:13 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Potions of resistance all look to be uncommon, last 1 hour each, and look to have a price of 300 gp each

So if you want any. Then aquire, pay and we will move things along