New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Privateers of Lssthp II [IC]

Ttharg Krixkrux

Ttharg wastes no time with subtleties. He strides onto the main deck straight towards the spy, drawing his shield as he goes. Channelling the power of Bahamut, he blasts a potent wave of destructive energies towards the infiltrator. As soon as the prayer is finished, he presses a hand to his earpiece to contact the other officers, speaking loudly so that the medics around him can also hear his words: "The lizardman medic we picked up be an Orc infiltrator! Main deck!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action to move 30ft onto the main deck, drawing my Shield as I go.
    Main Action to cast Destructive Wave (5th Level) at the Orc, only targeting the Orc, and using one use of Channel Divinity to maximise the Thunder Damage.
    Orc Con Save DC 16 for Half Damage: (1d20)[7]+Con mods. If they fail the Save, they are also knocked Prone (they remain standing if they succeed). Damage is (5d6)[18] Radiant Damage and 30 Thunder Damage. Since it's Thunder Damage I can't push them.
    Free Action to alert the crew.

2. - Top - End - #692

DruidGirl

The blast slams the orc into the wall of the ship with bone (and wood) crunching force. She drops her illusion entirely, and you can see that this one blast nearly killed her outright. But she reacts with incredible presence of mind, springing to her feet and dashing through the door to the Captain's cabin.

Spoiler: If you follow her in...
    Show

The Captain's cabin was all but abandoned even before she was arrested, home only to the radiant eggs and a complex tangle of pipes it nests within in order to pipe heat to the rest of the ship. Even when it was occupied, it was a pretty Spartan space.

The orc infiltrator Orodruin, the same one you saw teleport away from the illithid station, now stands besides the bed with a cutlass poised to hack into the solar dragon's egg.

She looks like someone who has taken a hostage, not a desperate assassin.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Movement - 15 ft to stand from prone, 15 feet to move across the deck and enter the cabin; Bonus action - dash to the egg; Readied action to destroy the egg if anyone makes a hostile move.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Nibum has triceratool drop him by the door and he steps into the doorframe We meet again... your under a geas right? This isnt your war do you really want to help trionyx free tiamat? Perhaps die against your will? He's doing what the mindflayers did to you right? We could help you know... if you just lower your weapon. Besides we are kinda at a stalemate id say so maybe we could talk a moment. he says in a kindly old man fashion. He's prepared tho with his toolians if something goes awry.

(Hoping I can cast mage hand and kinda hold off on using the push or the mage hand to do anything until I see how they react to this)

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

Servius
    From the upper deck, Servius sees some of this. He recalls the names from the logs, and casts a spell, whispering the name "Orodruin." A bolt of invisible power flies through the deck at the orc.
    Spoiler
    Show

(7d6)[28] psychic damage and incapacitate, INT save half/negate debuff
    Int (1d20)[20]+??
    Last edited by J-H; 2024-04-28 at 05:19 PM.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

5. - Top - End - #695

DruidGirl

She sneers at Nibum's attempt to calm her, and opens her mouth for a response... when she suddenly drops the cutlass to grab her head and falls over, struck dead. Nibum, the goggles allow you to see the bolt of psionic energy that strikes her unconscious, and then an eruption of necrotic energy from one of her fangs that fully kills her a moment later.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    Her arms and armor are the standard issue for a medic like she is posing as. The only intriguing things on her are a ring of keys; they are quite similar, long-barreled simple iron keys of the kind used for doors and chests and other normal locks. But she has several, all very similar, but with minutely different heads to each of them. Examined through the goggles, there are traces of abjuration and conjuration magic on the barrels; signs that they have been used in one or more magical locks.

Additionally, one of her fangs is blackened by a discharge of necrotic magic and still bears traces of a spell.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2024-04-28 at 07:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #696

Zombie

Ttharg Krixkrux

As the Orc infiltrator drops dead, Ttharg's first concern is for the Egg. He dashes forward to take hold of it and shepherd it away from the dead Orc. He checks it over for any sign of damage. Whilst he does so, he calls out over the earpiece (and loudly so the crew nearby can here): "The scaleyrot Orc be down! Everyone begin a sweep o' the ship for anythin' suspicious lookin' an' report any findin's immediately!"

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Nibum scans the tooth and keys Pity...she could have been quite useful...good job servius (said over the officer channel). Seems the mindflayers magic was still active as well as the geas. Look at these keys... where is that chest she brought? he says.

He asks on the officer channel anyone think she is worth questioning? If not i guess feed her to white cliff otherwise... revive and imprisn? Can that even be done?

8. - Top - End - #698

Zombie

Ttharg Krixkrux

Quote Originally Posted by zylodrizzt View Post
    He asks on the officer channel anyone think she is worth questioning? If not i guess feed her to white cliff otherwise... revive and imprisn? Can that even be done?
    "I could revive her right now; but it be a costly ritual to perform an' I do not see the benefit o' doing so. She be our enemy. I could also speak with her corpse, if ye gave me a day to prepare the necessary prayers; but she be under no compulsion to tell us anythin' since we killed her. If ye have questions I can ask Bahamut."

9. - Top - End - #699

DruidGirl

Ttharg, the egg is unharmed. As you check it over, you feel a pulse of warmth and gratitude, flavored with a sort of inarticulate curiosity and concern about the orc.

Spoiler: Medicine 10+ on the Orc
    Show
    Examining the orc, you find scars and markings of some kind of arcane ritual, all surrounding a diamond embedded in the flesh of her back. She was dying when she left the station.

Spoiler: Religion or Arcana 10+
    Show
    It looks like Trionyx had to go to some unusual lengths to bring her back. Putting the soul beyond resurrection or interrogation is likely another function of the necrotic spell that killed her, but Trionyx has access to dark magics of his own...

Servius, examining each key, you see Quaalith letters hidden in the embellishments -- each key of the 8 keys has a unique letter. The sea chest is brought on deck where it can be examined. The lock is magical, and although the abjuration magic masks anything further it might do, the traces on the keys of conjuration give you a good clue. This is a Chest of Many Faces, a trunk with different interiors depending on the key used.

Spoiler: A
    Show
    Turning this key in the lock, the chest does not open, but begins to glow with Transfiguration magic. It becomes a mimic and attacks you!

You are strong enough to put it down easily, but it's probably a good deterrent against casual thieves. Once it's defeated, the chest is a 'normal' chest again.

Spoiler: B
    Show
    Turning this key in the lock, the chest does not open, but begins to glow with Transfiguration magic. You are able to change its appearance; because you do not have any particular appearance in mind, it transforms from a battered old sea-chest into something sleeker and more obviously of illithid design, probably its original shape.

Spoiler: C
    Show
    When this key is turned in the lock, the trunk shifts into the ethereal plane, leaving only a lock, which weighs about a pound. The lock can be moved around and even stored in a pocket. Turning the key again brings the chest back.

Spoiler: D
    Show
    This is the first key that actually opens an interior. It contains the curled up body of Eye-of-the-Storm, the lizardman she was posing as. He is wearing two unusual rings, which bear further examination.

-The first is a ring of Gentle Repose which keeps the body intact.

-The second is a ring of Speak with Dead, which allows you to interrogate a freshly-dead corpse.

The logic here seems obvious.

Spoiler: E
    Show
    This chamber contains the orc's personal effects. Most of them are mundane and uninteresting, such as clean socks.

You see the armor you saw her wearing; it is of a different design but functionally identical to the Serpent Scale Armor sold in Malatra. There are some daggers, which are not obviously magical -- you remember that the spiked chain she dropped in the station wasn't directly magical either, just a channel for her psionic energy.

Finally, there is a holy image of an orc goddess, but it is cracked in two and wrapped in paper at the bottom of the trunk. Siduri identifies it as the Orc Goddess Luthic.

Spoiler: F
    Show
    In a leather bag, you find several items that radiate powerful divine energy. There is a single grey pearl, etched with an eye and pupil, and several ivory teeth strung in a necklace. You are able to connect these to the divine items tampered with by the flameharrow, and Siduri, an expert in reptilian religions, confirms; these were stolen from Gavia's Jaws. It all fits together with the undead dragon seen there, and the damage reported to temples.

Spoiler: Investigation 10+
    Show
    It seems clear the undead dragon brought Orodruin to Gavia's Jaws, and while it distracted the locals she despoiled the temples for Trionyx. Then she took ship for Malatra and arrived just ahead of the news. She must have replaced Eye-of-the-Storm then and come aboard in his place.

The pearl is taken from an idol of Gorgo, the medusa goddess. "The Stheno would be ecstatic to get that back. Or if I kept it... my ability to petrify enemies would be dramatically improved." She hesitates. "No... I remain pentitent. Give it back to them at the meeting, it will go a long way."

The teeth are from the ceremonial garb of the lizardfolk shamans, and carry powerful energies of rage and hunger. Tegu has no such qualms and grabs these for herself.

Spoiler: G
    Show
    This chamber is simply full of gold, platinum and gems, no doubt plundered from the hoards of the metallic dragons of Cagway.

Spoiler: H
    Show
    This chamber seems to be unused.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2024-04-29 at 10:24 AM.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Servius

Servius assesses the chest and its contents, documenting them all. "I don't think I've ever read a description of such an item before. It would be valuable to... well, many people. We may have use of it yet, though."

He checks it over. Could a live person fit in it? They could get someone in or out of someplace with it - although the guards... no, they have a plan already. Best stick to it. The captain's been doing this longer.

He starts documenting it in his spare time, getting pictures drawn of it as well. It will make a nice appendix to his book.

Someone else not busy with matters arcane can return the items.
    Campaign Logs:

11. - Top - End - #701

Zombie

Ttharg Krixkrux

Ttharg returns the Egg to the Captain's cabin once the Orc has been checked and removed. He checks over the Orc's body and notices the diamond embedded in her back, but has no idea what it does. He invites the more studious officers to take a look and discern what it might do.

When they find the real 'Eye-of-the-Storm' in one of the chests, Ttharg lets out a deep sigh. "He was barely onboard for a week, an' it cost him his life. May ye soul forgive me for puttin' ye in this position."

"Aye, returnin' the Stheno artefacts will help give us the leverage we need over them to convince them to side with us." He says in response to Siduri.

"Slowly, but surely, we be whittlin' away our foes. As usual, if ye need me to ask any questions o' Bahamut, let me know."
    Last edited by The Commander; 2024-05-01 at 08:40 AM.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

After tthrag mentions reviving her nibum takes a closer look Doesnt matter anyways. Basically unusable. Likely unrevivable. Dark powerful magic and not just from the squids.

He takes a look at the lizardfolk I definitly think that ring preserved him enough to revive him.... perhaps that was the plan... or perhaps just to keep asking him questions tho thats a slow process. Either way i imagine hed respond favorably to reviving.

He asks the corpse to see if he can respond Would you like to be revived?

(Just imo I don't think these rings go to anyone specifically. think they might be good to keep around tho. Might say that about any magic item tho.)

Nibum sits down with servius Hmm i wonder if we can replicate the cycling spaces on a larger scale on the tender. Would make it a bit more comfortable wouldnt you say? Maybe we should put this chest on the tender.... as various other thoughts cross his mind.

13. - Top - End - #703

DruidGirl

Nibum is correct; the body seems as if it was killed only moments ago. Orodruin must have put the rings on him and began interrogating him immediately, then shoved him in the trunk in case she needed any further information. Even at three questions a day, she's had at least a week to wring information out of him for her pose.

"Yes!" croaks the corpse.

14. - Top - End - #704

Zombie

Ttharg Krixkrux

Realising that the medic had been kept just fresh enough to be revived, Ttharg quickly goes to grab the diamond needed for such a ritual. He pulls the lizardman out of the chest and sets him the deck. Holding the diamond in one outstretched hand and placing a hand on the dead lizardman, Ttharg beseeches Bahamut to return the lizardman to life: "Bahamut, hear me plea! Release this man's soul from ye locker an' let him return to this body to live again!"

(Assuming the spell is successful)

The diamond in Ttharg's hand disappears as the offering to Bahamut is accepted. He will then use healing magic to assist the recovery of Eye.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Servius

In preparation for their meeting, Servius decides to research records, preparing a short report on the devastation an invading fleet of this size could cause, as well as the destruction that an un-chained Tiamat could cause.
    History (1d20+10)[12]

Correlating with this, he reviews Trionyx's actions thus far, and how every single ship, faction, or person he has worked with has been used up and discarded or destroyed.

Given his affinity for the Majari, he will couch his presentation in an orderly, scholarly way.
    Campaign Logs:

16. - Top - End - #706

DruidGirl

It's a few days later that your meeting with the Minister of War is held. The full leverage of the Majari family and a truly huge bribe is needed to make it happen and to convey the seriousness of the issue, but you get a full meeting. The Minister of War himself is there, and representatives from each of the major traebol families. The Minister explains that the ships of the Malatran navy are supplied and crewed by the family. He himself can commander a certain number of ships to aid you, but to get a full fleet response you will to convince everyone.

On your side of the table, Ttharg, Servius and Nibum are lined up behind Tohil, who has agreed to be your representative. This is a major feather in the cap of the favor-broker, her first meeting with a government official of this caliber, and she goes over the evidence and directives with all of you over and over in preparation. Before the meeting, she finds a moment with the Stheno family and returns the pearl from the idol in Gavia's Jaws. The medusae mutter among themselves, and send a minor functionary off with it immediately.

She begins with a persuasive case simply establishing the facts for all of the representatives. The Clel and Majari are on your side from the beginning, and do not hide it. The Stheno and Kanikau ask some probing questions, but Tohil fields them expertly. The Vrael are stubborn and dug in. They are the lone family among the traebol you have not tried to court, with the greatest sense of their own importance, and the Cnidaria have clearly been working on them. They make a veiled reference to your assassination of Eztili Vrael, and openly discuss the arrest of your captain for proselytizing. They hate Tiamat, but you simply have failed to convince them of the reality of the danger in the face of the manipulations of the Cnidaria.

Tohil takes a more subtle tack and begins to draw out the Cnidaria, blending the truth of their involvement with the old grudges and spite between the families. Once again the Clel and Majari are eating out of your hand, and the Stheno are now fully onboard. It's the Kanikau, actually, who see through this tactic, and smile subtly to themselves. They see through the manipulation. The Vrael are contentious, pressing Tohil hard, and she counters with a devastating array of facts about the movements of the Cnidaria lately. She calls Nibum into the conversation to outline the results of his investigations. It's a very, very close thing, but finally the Vrael nod, and begin to looks sideways at the Cnidaria with suspicion.

She closes by attempting to drive home the threat of Trionyx's fleet, and of him reaching Sunhome and freeing Tiamat; she is pressing for a full fleet action. Here you lose the Clel and the Stheno; they are too proud of their own strength to truly believe the dire predictions, although they remain convinced of the need to intervene, they will not commit all their ships. The Majari are all in. The Kanikau are wavering, have only committed one ship so far, but Servius's presentation of the dangers of Tiamat sways them. The Vrael, jealous and paranoid, are easy to intimidate, but still harbor malice towards you. In the end it's Ttharg who pushes it over the top. He makes an impassioned plea, pointing out that Apophis and Bahamut have never been allies, but he stands before you a man of the Platinum Dragon begging for your assistance.

The tone is wrong for this audience, too blunt and too much a reminder of Bahamut's involvement, but it's just enough. It's just enough for the commitment of a second ship from the Vrael. All told, eleven ships will join the White Cliff, against Pthax's ten ships, one undead dragon, and any other surprises Trionyx has cooked up.

The Cnidaria were never going to raise arms against Tiamat, but throughout the conversation Tohil watches them from the corner of her eye and elaborates on everything your crew has accomplished in Malatra, establishing what Trionyx is up against. Reminding them indirectly that the status quo has been good to them, and that taking a direct action in support of Tiamat will make them the target of all five families. In the end, their confidence has wavered, and you suspect that although they will continue to work indirectly against you, they do not dare commit any ships to the pirate fleet.

On the way out, Tohil finds a moment with Merr Vrael and edges towards the subject of the Captain's imprisonment, now that the Vrael are convinced of your bona fides. She is shut down, hard. The Captain will pay for the death of Eztili Vrael; an eye for an eye. It is, Merr Vrael makes clear, a completely separate matter from the pirate fleet.

The Stheno functionary returns with a gift for Siduri Atropae, a square box a foot on each side. The Stheno warn you no one but a medusa should look inside.

Spoiler: If you look...
    Show
    It is the head of Humbaba Stheno. DC 14 Constitution saving throw to resist petrification.

17. - Top - End - #707

Zombie

Ttharg Krixkrux

Ttharg returns to the White Cliff and removes his formal priests robes (which are the fanciest clothes he owns, and thus were what we wore to the meeting). The victory they've achieved today should be celebrated. He makes a request to Tohil to bring food and drink appropriate for a ship-wide celebration. Whilst it's true that their Captain remains in captivity and the threat of Trionyx looms nigh, it does no good to dwell on the doom and gloom and instead find joy and comfort in whatever moment can be found, and Ttharg intends to try and push that idea. (He will cover whatever cost Tohil deems appropriate, and Tohil is invited to partake in the celebration of course).

Ttharg would want to check in with Cocytus, making sure that he still feels capable in himself and to try and cut loose for an evening if possible.

Later during the festivities (we can change the timing if it's more appropriate), Ttharg discovers Nibum's petrified body. He briefly inquires as to how this happened. Regardless, there is nothing Ttharg can do to help him in this moment. He makes a request to Tohil to go shopping for Diamond Dust worth at least 100gp (Ttharg will overpay if Tohil thinks it's necessary). He sequesters Nibum in the Captain's cabin for the time-being. He informs the other officers that he can cast Greater Restoration tomorrow, assuming he has the components.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

His last thoughts were "why am I like this" and "sure hope someone can restore me" as he looked at his hand turn to stone. He says to his assistants please go get someone.

When restored he takes a deep breathe as he falls over seeing as how he can't balance well with the stiffened joints. When he stands up he dusts himself off and stretches his back. Thats how it feels to get old. So...did i miss the rescue. Sorry that i caused trouble. Seems like siduri got some if her revenge.
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2024-05-06 at 12:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #709

DruidGirl

Spoiler: Commune Results
    Show
    As the week between the meeting and the Captain's trial-by-combat goes on, Ttharg continues to petition Bahamut daily for information about the oncoming pirate fleet. Gradually you are developing a picture of what lies ahead.

10 ships, all pirate vessels from allies of Pthax. Some of the allies are controlled magically, some are there out of loyalty to Pthax, and others bribed liberally from the hordes of the metallic dragons of Cagway. You ascertain that Pthax himself is also under a geas spell; the others are controlled with lesser spells of compulsion. All of them are sailing ships, at the mercy of the winds, unlike the White Cliff; but the same is true of the Malatran ships, so any weather-based shenanigans could cut both ways.

Commune does not reveal any other high powered lieutenants among those Captains and crew; by destroying the flameharrow and the infiltrator, you have destroyed 2/3s of Trionyx's most powerful allies, with only Pthax remaining. However, in addition to the fleet, Trionyx retains command of one ancient undead dragon. One other was destroyed bearing Orodruin to Gavia's Jaws.

You ask Bahamut if Trionyx will be with Pthax on the Broken Wing, but are unable to get a clear answer. Perhaps the tortle has not yet decided himself. Commune confirms, at least, that he is still between Malatra and Cagway; he has not found some other route to get ahead of you.

As time goes by and you are still rich in your ability to question Bahamut, you rack your brains trying different creative possibilities for additional tricks or unforeseen gambits from Tiamat's prophet. But if there are hidden pieces on the board, you aren't asking the right questions. 10 ships. 1 undead dragon. 1 week remaining.

20. - Top - End - #710

DruidGirl

One Week Later

The Coliseum where the malisons offer their sacrifices to Apophis is packed. They rarely get the best here -- sickly pythons picking off frightened antelope, gorgons herded to their death in the manifold jaws of a hydra -- but everyone has heard about the dragonborn captain. She'll rate a powerful foe; perhaps even the Great Worm himself. The crowd has sat through the mediocre routine sacrifices restlessly, impatient for the main event.

The priest officiating is himself a malison; his arms become serpents below the elbow, and these twin mouths speak for him.

"Enter, the condemned! Bendeguz Magyar, of Lssthp!"
    "Enter, the condemned! Bendeguz Magyar, of Lssthp!"

The Captain enters, still in the shapeless brown garment of a prisoner; the shackles are removed.

"Will anyone arm this corrupter against its fate? Or do we condemn it to fight with only the weapons granted it, by a god it despises?"
    "Will anyone arm this corruptor against its fate? Or do we condemn it to fight with only the weapons granted it, by a god it despises?""

The Captain raises her head; she seems to be staring into the sky above the open-air Coliseum. The brief Malatran morning is still alive, and the view is clear blue and unobstructed.

"What weapons I have don't come from Apophis," she says. Out of uniform, her head shorn, she still projects every inch of dignity and power she did on the deck of the White Cliff. "Nor from Tempus, Lord of War. Maebe, Queen of May! I am, and have ever been, your champion!"

Though she has no friends in the crowd of the coliseum, she thrusts up her hand, as if with perfect confidence a weapon will come to her. At the same time, the ground begins to rumble....

The devotional tablet seems to drop out of the clear sky, and as it touches her, both her and it are transformed.

Spoiler: Summary
    Show

ACTIONS: Fork used his action to throw the tablet down to the Captain.

INITIATIVE:
    19 - Fork / Tender
    18 - Pitmasters & Priest
    16 - Nibum
    12 - Servius
    8 - Captain Magyar
    4 - Ttharg
    1 - Purple Worm
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2024-05-07 at 09:21 AM.