Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default PF2e Abomination Vaults

OOC for game.

IC

new Recruitment thread

Now with a Dice Thread
    Will add new information as needed

Free Archetype, Gradual Ability Boosts, and Ancestry Paragon are being used.

Player Character Race Class
    Infernally Clay Sachiko Kitsune Thief Rogue
    BobtheWizard Lera Human Corpse Water Earth Kineticist
    Casual Viking Khalandel Elf Thaumaturge
    Xhirli Firtina Aasimar Cleric
    Esprit15 Laila Human Swashbuckler

House Rules:

Roiling Mudslide is a 30ft cone rather than an undefined area that really should have been caught by someone.

Magic Immunity on golems, will-o-wisps etc. is now Resistance equal to the creature's level to Spells (which impulses count as for defensive abilities) like the Brass Bastion (the only example we have of what's replacing golems in new books) has.
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2024-04-05 at 03:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: PF2e Abomination Vaults

Sachiko Kaminaga
    Kitsune Thief Rogue
    AC: 18 | HP: 16/16
    Fortitude: +3 | Reflex: +9 | Will: +6 | Perception: +6
    Hero Points: 1/1
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    I went with the Bibliophile background, so Sachi has always been known as a troublemaker who is too charming for her own good. She is sly and mischievous and knows how to get around people, so in her youth she tended to get away with a lot more than she should. One person in particular, however, Morlibint the proprietor of the Odd Stories bookshop, always seems to be able to see through whatever ruse or lie Sachi is engaged in and it is thanks to him that she grew up with a love of stories. He would tell her grand tales of heroes and nobles, trying to nudge her on the path of righteousness, but Sachi had a particular fondness for the dashing rogues who stole from the undeserving and gave to those who needed most. Her favourite story was of a dreadful pirate who kidnapped a princess and threw a kingdom into chaos, only to reveal he was a childhood friend who had saved her from a marriage she would have hated.
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2023-12-18 at 05:27 PM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Lera Trask
    Human Kineticist
    AC: 18 | HP: 20/20
    Fortitude: +9 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +4 | Perception: +4
    Hero Points: 1/1
    Active Effects: Armor in Earth
    Conditions: None

Lera walks into the tavern with the others, a trail of mud following her like it always does. She never seems to dry off. She lets the others go first, being much more confident in swamps and dungeons than she is in taverns. Once the others have ordered their drinks, she looks at all of the people nursing their wounds and bandaging each other up. "Let's see if we can find what did this."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just putting some random dialogue and descriptions in.

She will be mostly control and some AOE damage, both fairly close range for now. I'll have some healing, too. When we get to level 5, she'll have an aura that makes enemies off-guard (the new term for flat-footed) and forces a balance action to move.

Lera grew up on a farm on the edges of the Fogfen swamp. She spent her childhood swimming through the mud and detritus of the swamp, eventually becoming one with the filthy water. One day, while she was out playing in the water, a great beast of mud rose up and swallowed her. Inside its mouth, she bit its inner cheek as hard as she could and the creature spit her out. She lay on the boggy ground, covered in slime, for several hours. That was enough to infuse the essence of the creature in her. Over the next few years, she developed the ability to create and mold the mud, earth, and water around her. She spent more time in the swamp, and less time around other people.

She knows that there are even more monstrous things out in the swamp known as Fogfen; she's seen these things through the mist, gliding through the murky water and heaving themselves over sodden bits of land. No one in Otari believes her tales of swamp monsters from the depths. She'll just have to prove to them that there are truly monsters out there, and that they were wrong to doubt her.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Khaza'dun, High-helm Exile
    AC: 17 | HP: 23 | Current: 23 | Hero Points: 1
    Fortitude: +8 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +5 | Perception: +7
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    Khaza'dun is an imposing figure, thick, broad shoulders, a wide, barrel chest, arms heavy with slabs of muscles forged by years at a an dwarven smithy. A flat, square face, with deep set, stormy blue eyes, was framed with iron grey hair, wild and long, two dwarven war braids fell forward, each capped with a rune inscribed, iron forged ring. A wicked, jagged scar, intersects the socket of his left eye, the axe's kiss, runs from temple to jaw, fading into his thick, mustachioed beard, which, like his hair, was bound in braids.

He volunteers some of his time with the Otari Guard, and when armed and equipped for duty he wears a heavy scaled hauberk, pauldrons of forged steel, embossed with dwarven runes of protection, cast in bronze. A thick leather belt, capped and buckled with brass fittings, circles his wide hips, two axes tucked behind the studded buckle, balanced for throwing, should he need to bring an enemy down at range. His battle attire is completed by thick, rough-spun breeches with leather inserts and sturdy, hob-nailed, leather boots, with iron greaves strapped to protect knee and shin. A deep green cloak, trimmed with bear pelt, protects him from the elements, and strapped over his shoulder, by way of a leather and iron baldric, is a massive maul, it's anvil like head made of worked veinstone stone, named for the forest green striations that run through it, bound in steel and iron, attached to a thick, well oiled ironwood haft, bound with well worn, but sturdy leather grips.

Spoiler: Build Plan
    Show
    Level 2: Dex (14); Intimidating Strike (Fighter), Rogue Dedication (Free Archetype) (Acrobatics; Stealth Training; Skill Feat: Battle Medicine), Steady Balance (Skill Feat)
    Level 3: Wis (16); Medicine (Expert); Vengeful Hatred (Orc; Ancestry Paragon); Fleet (General Feat)
    Level 4: Con (18); Quick Reversal (Fighter); Basic Trickery: Mobility (Free Archetype); Continual Recovery (Skill Feat)
    Level 5: Str (19) Athletics (Expert); Sheltering Slab (Ancestry)
    Level 6: Shatter Defenses (Fighter); Sneak Attacker (Free Archetype); Risky Surgery (Skill Feat)
    Level 7: Str (20); Athletics (Master); Stonecunning (Ancestry Paragon); Toughness (General Feat)
    Level 8: Wis (18); Barbarian Dedication (Fighter); Advanced Trickery: Dread Strike (Free Archetype); Ward Medic (Skill Feat)
    Level 9: Int (12); Nature (Trained); Medicine (Master); Mountain's Stoutness (Ancestry)
    Level 10: Con (19); Disruptive Stance (Fighter); Intinct Ability: Giant (Free Archetype); Rapid Mantel (Skill Feat)

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    At 107 years old, Khaza'dun, the dwarven blacksmith, stands as a paragon of patience and craftsmanship. In the bustling logging city of Otari, thick, dwarven hands tirelessly forge his creations, embodying the ethos that anything worth doing is worth doing right. A plodding, patient dwarf with a penchant for precision, Khaza'dun is quick to disapprove of laziness, holding an unwavering belief that one's work ethic reflects their character. Having ventured beyond the confines of his clan, Khaza'dun remains deeply committed to his roots, valuing community and kin above all. Though he relocated to the larger world, he sees his current quest as a means to elevate his standing within the clan. Unyielding in his pursuit of excellence is never , he satisfied with his own work, viewing Otari as a proving ground for his skills. Driven by the conviction that contributing to the community is a sacred duty, he strives to protect and uplift the community he, now, finds himself in, trusting that their collective strength will reciprocate. Khaza'dun's ultimate aspiration is to return to his clan bearing an ancient dwarven relic, a tangible testament to his prowess and a symbol of the age of wonders he seeks to rekindle.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2023-12-18 at 08:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

An area of effect that makes enemies flat-footed, huh? Well that's convenient since Sachi, as a rogue, likes that a lot. :P

6. - Top - End - #6

RedWizardGuy

One IC Thread

The AP starts you right outside the first big dungeon.

If you'd prefer we can start in daytime, but I wanted to show off the nightime glow.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Firtina Gok
    Aasimar Cleric of Pharasma

Background is that she was taken from her family as a baby when she was born with a halo and raised in the temple of Pharasma. One notable thing that happened was that a dying Fleshwarp crawled to her after escaping from the Darklands. She tried and failed to save it, keeping its heart going manually like you do, but it died anyway because its heart had been moved down to where the solar plexus was. Since then she’s dedicated herself to learning the medicine and anatomy of Fleshwarps so that there’s nothing out there that she can’t save.

I’m buffy healbot with Demoralize as my third action.

Oh and I’ll take Goldenrod
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2023-12-18 at 09:37 PM.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Khalendel
    To Khalendel, the 5 years spent in Otari have been an extended grieving period. His only child, Eliana, died of old age like her human mother long ago, leaving Khalendel entirely alone. He has left his groves in Kyonin - works of art in the medium of living trees, grown and tended over decades and decades. Instead, he been wandering, honing the hunting skills of his youth, re-reading his correspondences with old friends, collecting stories and knick-knacks relating to the things that go bump in the night.

Khalendel has lived a peaceful life long enough. Maybe, just maybe, if he had been a more adventurous man, he would not have been standing alone at the grave of his last family member. He has had his first brushes with danger, and is not deterred.

AC: 18| HP: 15/15 | Perception:[/B] +6 (lowlight) | Hero Points: 1/1 | Active Effects: None | Conditions: None
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2023-12-19 at 01:23 AM.
    Semper ludens.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Mythweaver is having an issue with logging in to sheets, but Viking's IC post got me thinking. I believe, Lera took the Orc Sight feat, so that gives us Darkvision (Khaza & Lera) and Low-light vision (Firt, Khal & Sach) so we likely don't have a light source moving through the Fogfen, since we're in dim light with moon and stars plus the glow from Gauntlight. May need one as we move underground ...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I have one, don't worry.

I call it my GLOWING HALO OF STEALTH!
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2023-12-19 at 08:27 AM.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

11. - Top - End - #11

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: SECRET ROLLING
    Show
    Perceptions
    Khaz (1d20+7)[11]
    Sach (1d20+6)[19]
    Lera (1d20+4)[20]
    Khal (1d20+6)[14]
    Firt (1d20+7)[15]
    Nature
    Lera (1d20+4)[5]
    Khal's esoteric (1d20+7)[20]
    Firt (1d20+7)[13]

@Infernally Clay and Xihirli you forgot to include languages on your sheets.
    @BobtheWizard you should be trained in Nature, impossible not to be as a kineticist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    @BobtheWizard you should be trained in Nature, impossible not to be as a kineticist
    I had forgotten to put any of her skills on her sheet. Fixed now.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Flubbed the roll in the IC so here it is...

Perception: (1d20+6)[10]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: SECRET ROLLING
    Show
    Perceptions
    Khaz [roll0]
    Sach [roll1]
    Lera [roll2]
    Khal [roll3]
    Firt [roll4]
    Nature
    Lera [roll5]
    Khal's esoteric [roll6]
    Firt [roll7]

@Infernally Clay and Xihirli you forgot to include languages on your sheets.
    Ah right, sorry.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

Perception is a secret roll, so I've actually already rolled it for everyone, it's why most of you noticed the ropes and planks.
    No need to roll stealth either, you just use it for initiative if you're being sneaky.

Anyway, Initiative time (rolling it first so I can get the descriptions right)
    Khaza'dun is giving everyone a +1 here. Perception for most of you, but Khalendel and Sachiko use stealth.
    I'll roll them all to save time

Party
    Khazadun (1d20+8)[13]
    Sachiko (1d20+8)[18]
    Lera (1d20+5)[19]
    Khalendel (1d20+6)[14]
    Firtina (1d20+8)[12]

Mitflits
    M1 (1d20+5)[22]
    M2 (1d20+5)[24]
    M3 (1d20+5)[12]
    M4 (1d20+3)[4]
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2023-12-19 at 08:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Oh cool. I'll keep that in mind in future.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

As an FYI if you are flying you can't step, so if that Mitflit lands or moves, he's fubar'd lol

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for rolling initiative, it's usually just a waste of time.

I didn't update before i posted, so i amended my post. Readied shot if necessary: attack - (1d20+6)[16], damage - (1d8+4)[9]
    Semper ludens.

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

They're not flying, they're on the ropes and planks above you, well they were.
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2023-12-20 at 11:28 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

Party Initiative (unchanged, same fight just keeping it all in one post)
    Khazadun [13]
    Sachiko [18]
    Lera [19]
    Khalendel [14]
    Firtina [12]

Slurk (1d20+6)[17]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Is there any reason the last Mitflit got away, Khaza was adjacent to it and it was flying, so any movement would have provoked wouldn't it? You can't step while flying ...
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2023-12-20 at 11:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That's a surprising move for an unarmored cleric, Xhirli.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-12-21 at 10:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Is there any reason the last Mitflit got away, Khaza was adjacent to it and it was flying, so any movement would have provoked wouldn't it? You can't step while flying ...
    Like I said, not flying, they have a bunch of planks and ropes rigged to just walk around up there, it simply stepped out of reach, walked outside, dropped the bait, and died to a kineticist blast.

Now one of them did escape, but none of you even managed to see that one.

@Xihirli the square to the south of it is a wall, so noone can flank from due north. You can either move twice (which could get you to the north east ready to flank with someone, or opposite Lera to flank with her) or just choose to do something else with your actions (cast a spell, recall knowledge with nature etc.).
    Also you seem to only have one ancestry feat.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

That's fair, I thought you said they were flying 7 ft up, and in melee range, so I assumed they all were. Probably my reading comprehension, no worries!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Like I said, not flying, they have a bunch of planks and ropes rigged to just walk around up there, it simply stepped out of reach, walked outside, dropped the bait, and died to a kineticist blast.

Now one of them did escape, but none of you even managed to see that one.

@Xihirli the square to the south of it is a wall, so noone can flank from due north. You can either move twice (which could get you to the north east ready to flank with someone, or opposite Lera to flank with her) or just choose to do something else with your actions (cast a spell, recall knowledge with nature etc.).
    Also you seem to only have one ancestry feat.
    I will move twice.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

RedWizardGuy

Just in case you were waiting, Khalendel and Sachiko both still need to act and Firtina is I assume going to keep the Shield over the demoralise.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Just in case you were waiting, Khalendel and Sachiko both still need to act and Firtina is I assume going to keep the Shield over the demoralise.
    That is correct.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    That is correct.
    I hope there’s not another slurk in the water. If there is, I don’t know if we can save you.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I can’t die.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I'm seriously confused where we are in turn initiative. A turn count would likely help. Lera appears to have acted twice since the Mitflits, but I've only taken one action (the readied action), so whose turn is it?