Default Re: PF2e Abomination Vaults IC

Lera Trask
    Human Kineticist
    AC: 18 | HP: 20/20
    Fortitude: +9 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +4 | Perception: +4
    Hero Points: 2
    Active Effects: Armor in Earth, Gate
    Conditions: None

Lera misses the grumpy dwarf right now. He would have been able to open this door for sure.

"Next time we go back to town, let's buy a crowbar."

But she does her best, leaning into the door to open it.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Athletics: (1d20+4)[11] (includes penalty)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

"If we can’t go on, we could go back for a crowbar now and try to contact the Guild while we in turn," Firtina suggests.
    "Unless we have another way forward?"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Khalendel
    "Contacting the guild?", Khalendel chimes in, making air quotes around "contacting". "It smells to me like they're actively involved in what's going on".

AC: 18| HP: 15/15 | Perception: +6 (lowlight) | Hero Points: 2/2 | Active Effects: None | Conditions: None
    Semper ludens.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Lera Trask
    Human Kineticist

Lera feels bad that she's not able to open the door. She considers that the thieves guild might be involved, but doubts they are working with the mitflits and the haunts. More likely, they are here for the same reason we are, to look for any treasure and investigate the light.

"Let's go back to town, get a crowbar, and talk to Wrin. Maybe we could stop by the Crook's Nook and see why the Osprey Club is out here."

She tries one more thing before she gives up on the door, trying to manipulate the stone surrounding the door just enough to unstick the door.

Show
    Try to use Base Kinesis on the stone to make a small adjustment to the stone to unstick the door.

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2024-02-14 at 11:49 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Lera is unable to affect the stone, her base kinesis unable to budge the stone, secured as it is within the walls.

Returning to town takes half an hour, Wren hands over a crowbar at a small discount, but you only spoke a few hours ago, so doesn't have much to say.

The Crook's Nook turns out to be worth the visit, Yinyasmera actually seems a little worried, though hides it well, all it takes is one of you mentioning the boat for her to open up.
    "Stil there is it, well a few weeks ago four of my employees mentioned hearing rumours of treasure still buried beneath the place and went to explore, haven't seen them in days. I'm not keen on losing anyone else looking for them, but you're capable enough. I'll pay you 50 gold if you can bring them back, or at least proof of what's happened to them, might even be able to extend you a little discount."

It's almost noon by the time you return to Gauntlight, with a crowbar in hand it's easy to force the door open, revealing the small study within. It features several bookshelves, a desk, and two chairs. The books and objects here lie in disarray with torn pages strewn haphazardly across the room.

A voice claims to be a dangerous “wispy-ghost” named “Spookywisp.” and an orb of floating light appears. Firtina and Sachiko realise the voice is an illusion of some sort, though none of you know what's actually making it.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Lera Trask
    Human Kineticist

Lera opens the door with her new crowbar and looks into the study. When she hears the name "Spookywisp" she almost laughs out loud. When she sees the floating light though, she loses her sense of humor. These things hurt.

"Hello, Spookywisp. We don't mean you any trouble. Can we help you in any way?"

The swirling, muddy, damp coolness continues to surround her. She stays vigilant in case this thing attacks us like the previous ones did.

Show

7. - Top - End - #247

RedWizardGuy

The illusory voice replies. "Yes, help me. I want Shiny, in room at far end of this place. Mean blank faced doll guards it, but if you get it for me, I'll tell you three secrets about this place."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

"What use has a ghost for a shiny object?" Firtina asks. "Would it not be more prudent to help you move on to your right afterlife?"
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Lera Trask
    Human Kineticist

Lera thinks we should help this wisp. It didn't attack us outright, and information could be valuable. On the other hand, it could be bluffing.

"I'm intrigued Spookywisp. But how do we know you even have any useful information? Maybe you should tell us one thing now, so we know to trust you, and then you can tell us the other two items once we retrieve your shiny thing."

"And how many of these doll-faced guards are there?"

Show

10. - Top - End - #250

RedWizardGuy

"It's shiny, I want it. Afterlives are for dead people, if you kill me you'll never get my secrets, not that you could hope to slay a mighty wispy-ghost. You can't trick me, you just want secrets without giving me my shiny." It pause for a moment, then speaks again "Fine, have half a secret, the spooky lighthouse can do more than just shine eerie light, but I'm not telling what until I get my shiny." It really wants the shiny. "Just one doll, that's what I said, one nasty mean doll."

Show
    Hint, Firtina might want to roll religion before trying anything.
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2024-02-15 at 05:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Lera Trask
    Human Kineticist

Lera shrugs her shoulders. She believes that this thing has some information that could be useful to us. whether that is worth potentially fighting this mean-faced doll is up for debate. She nods at it and then turns to the others.

"I think we should help it, and go get it the shiny. What do you all think?"

Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"This thing insists it is a ghost, but denies being dead. We should expect trickery, and perhaps not kill a creature without asking questions on the say-so of one we cannot trust."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Khalendel
    Khalendel shrugs. "I have no great moral stake in this. The secrets might be well be valuable, and we might need to deal with this doll anyway".

AC: 18| HP: 15/15 | Perception: +6 (lowlight) | Hero Points: 2/2 | Active Effects: None | Conditions: None
    Semper ludens.

14. - Top - End - #254

RedWizardGuy

You continue deeper into the outbuilding, first you pass two small side rooms.

The first room appears to be a storage room of some sort, Shelves laden with tools, lumber, and planks line the walls, more interestingly a quick search of the place finds an ornate silver key, you think it would sell for a decent sum, though it also likely unlocks something important.

The second room is a stairwell, moss and fungus coats the stairs, which seemingly lead down to a lower level you had not yet discovered. From the state of the growth, clearly no one has gone this way for a long time. The thieves clearly didn't go down here, but perhaps this isn't the only entrance.

Continuing on leads to a large hallway, four 5ft tall paintings hang from the walls, mold and decay marring their surfaces.
    The first portrait depicts what can only be the city of Absalom, it's iconic skyline aflame and the ghosts rising from the streets, a bronze plaque below reads "So Shall the Fools Suffer."
    The second depicts what appears to be Gauntlight as it originally appeared, with its lighthouse emitting a pale blue light in which ghostly faces sneer and grimace. Its bronze plaque reads, “Let the Light Shine Forever.”
    The third portrait is shredded and entirely destroyed, clearly a deliberate effort rather than mere decay. The bronze plaque is still legible though "The Artist at Work."
    The fourth and final portrait depicts a smirking woman dressed in a long, green gown (based on what wrin told you of the blood apparitition, this seems to be an image of Belcorra herself). Its plaque reads, “The Lady of the Light.” The wall next to it has words scratched onto it, you don't understand it, but it looks to be in Aklo. (OOC note If you have a means to copy it down Wrin can translate, but it's not particularly important)

Finally you reach the last room, what seems to have once been an elegant workshop has fallen into shambles. Soggy strings of dripping moss hang through cracks in the wooden domed roof above. Below it, a carpet of broken glass glitters dangerously. Workbenches and shelves, armatures and displays—all formerly used in crafting or repairing immense lenses for a lighthouse—lie in ruins. Only a bejeweled spyglass sitting on a display rack near the southern wall has survived the devastation.

The doll makes itself known, a strange construct with a humanoid body, raven's head and raven's wings. It stands up and asks in a warbling voice “Is Master Azrinae coming back?” before you can even answer it takes to the air with a furious screech.

Spoiler: Ordered initiative
    Show
    Firtina (1d20+7)[27] Perception
    Khalandel (1d20+5)[20] stealth
    Lera (1d20+4)[16] perception
    Doll (1d20+10)[15] perception
    Sachiko (1d20+7)[8] stealth

Firtina, Khalandel and Lera all react quickly, moving before the creature can launch its attack, though Khalandel is not hidden. You may act

Show
    The layer of broken glass and shattered materials covering the floor makes it uneven ground with an Acrobatics DC of 11. This means that you're flat footed when standing on it, you must take the Balance action to move (Acrobatics check, critical success you move normally, success it counts as difficult terrain, failure you don't move, critical failure you fall prone and your turn ends), and you must pass a DC 11 reflex save whenever you get hit by an attack or fail a save, falling prone on a failure.
    A creature who falls prone in this room takes 1 piercing damage

Spoiler: Map
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Firtina shouts a warning and light expands from her, enveloping both herself in a thin layer of protection and Khalendal’s bow in the blessing of the goddess of fate.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

1/2. Magic Weapon on Khalendal’s bow, it is +1 striking

3. Shield spell
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Lera Trask
    Human Kineticist

Lera wonders what the jeweled spyglass might be worth. When the doll threatens us, she stays where she is at the front of the group. She had hoped to talk to the guardian but that doesn't look like it's going to be an option.

"So much for maybe talking to the doll. It clearly wants to kill us."

She launches two small rocks at the flying doll and raises her shield.
    Show
    Action 1: 1 action blast, thrown bludgeoning (1d20+7)[17], (1d8+3)[7] damage
    Action 2: 1 action blast, thrown bludgeoning (1d20+2)[21], (1d8+3)[5] damage
    Action 3: Raise Shield

17. - Top - End - #257

RedWizardGuy

Lera's rocks are easily dodged by the winged construct.

Show
    Nothing special, it just has an AC higher than 21.
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2024-02-21 at 03:33 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Khalendel
    "Ahh....". Khalendel quickly figures out what the doll is. He plants himself and fires steadily at the doll.

*Exploit Weakness - (1d20+7)[27] *strike - (1d20+7)[17], damage 12 *strike - (1d20+2)[20], damage 15.

Last edited by CasualViking; 2024-02-21 at 03:51 PM.
    Semper ludens.

19. - Top - End - #259

RedWizardGuy

Despite the unorthordox addition of the beak and wings, Khalandel realises what you're up against, a Soulbound Doll, while the physical body is unimpressive for a construct, these creatures are imbued with a fragment of a mortal's soul, a process which Pharasma despises. This leaves them with far more free will than most constructs, but the practice is still popular as the constructs are actually able to change and grow in personality and power, loyalty generally assured by choosing a suitable donor, letting a loyal minion serve even beyond their death.
    The soul fragment is held within a small gem, which generally survives the main body's destruction and can be transferred between bodies by a skilled crafter.
    They hit unusually hard for their size.

They have no weaknesses and a substantial collection of immunities: bleed, death effects, disease, doomed, drained, fatigued, healing, mental, necromancy, nonlethal attacks, paralyzed, poison, sickened, unconscious. Possessing a soul as they do, they can be harmed by spirit damage.

They can usually cast Levitate as an innate spell, though this one flies anyway. They also have an innate spell that depends on the alignment of the soul used in construction, this one probably has either Harm or Vampiric Touch.

Unfortunately Khalandel's attacks both miss the nimble creature.

The furious construct flies towards Sachiko (because she's not hiding behind a shield) and lashes out with its small fists, the first one is dodged, but the second swing is a painful blow.

Show
    8 damage to Sachiko, Nimble Dodge would not help.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Sachiko's turn, then the rest of the party.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Sachiko Kaminaga
    Kitsune Thief Rogue 1
    AC: 18 | HP: 8/16
    Fortitude: +3 | Reflex: +9 | Will: +6 | Perception: +6
    Hero Points: 1/1
    Active Effects: None

Sachi attempts to circle the doll, then attacks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics check: (1d20+7)[13]
    Move to 6,5
    Attack #1 - To hit: (1d20+10)[30], to damage: (2d6+4)[7], plus (1d6)[6] sneak attack damage. (+1 damage from deadly d8 rolled in OOC)
    Attack #2 - To hit: (1d20+5)[13], to damage: (2d6+4)[14], plus (1d6)[2] sneak attack damage.

(for the sake of simplicity going forward if I believe I'm flanking an enemy I'll add +2 to the attack roll to compensate for the -2 penalty to AC from enemies being flat footed)
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2024-02-21 at 08:14 PM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

21. - Top - End - #261

RedWizardGuy

Sachiko manages to hit something important, though her second stab misses.

Show
    Ouch that's 27 damage to the doll

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Firtina sees that Sachiko is greatly injured, but the doll will continue posing a danger. She moves so that her Kitsune comrade is well within her sight in case of emergency, but attempts to feel o the attacking puppet.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

May as well fully switch to the new divine lance with 2d4 instead of 1d4+WIS
    Action 1: stride to keep a direct line of sight on Sachiko
    Actions 2/3: Divine Lance! (1d20+7)[24]; (2d4)[4] spirit damage.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Lera Trask
    Human Kineticist

Lera is impressed by Sachiko's maneuver to surround the doll, and tries to take advantage of it, stabbing twice with a muddy rapier.

"Sachiko. Be careful over there."

Show
    Action 1: 1 action blast, agile piercing (1d20+9)[18], (1d8+3)[6] damage
    Action 2: 1 action blast, agile piercing (1d20+5)[14], (1d8+3)[9] damage
    Action 3: Raise Shield

24. - Top - End - #264

RedWizardGuy

Firtina's Divine Lance connects, searing at the fragmented soul within, but even with flanking Lera is unable to land a stab.

Show
    31 total damage to the construct, I fear he may not be around for long.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Khalendel
    Khalendel's third crossbow bolt goes wide. Frustrated, he spits out an incantation between gritted teeth and tries to hit the accursed doll with lightning instead.
    *strike - (1d20+7)[13], damage - (2d8+4)[14], **Electric Arc - (1d4+4)[8], basic reflex DC 17.

Last edited by CasualViking; 2024-02-24 at 07:14 AM.
    Semper ludens.

26. - Top - End - #266

RedWizardGuy

As the soulbound doll flies backwards Khalandel's bow snaps up and releases a bolt, the construct falls inertly to the ground on impact.
    Searching the room reveals two items of interest, a small gem, presumably the focus for the soul fragment, fell loose from the construct upon its destruction, and the gleaming bejeweled spyglass, which is almost certainly the Shiny you were asked to retrieve.

Show
    960/1000xp so close to that level up.
    The gem from the doll is worth 5gp, or perhaps you could hold onto it for now.
    The spyglass is worth 20gp, but then you'll never know what secrets Spookywisp has to share.

I'd actually already rolled for the construct's Vampiric Touch before remembering that Khalandel would get chance to shoot it dead when it moved, it was precisely enough to kill Sachiko, and a death effect, good job he hit.

It only takes 10 minutes to patch Sachiko back up.

Do you return the spyglass to Spookywisp immediately or check out the pier to the southwest?
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2024-02-25 at 11:55 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Lera Trask
    Human Kineticist

While Lera wasn't able to hit the mean doll, she's glad the others were able to finish it off before it killed any of us.

"Nice job, everyone. Sorry I couldn't seem to hit the thing. I say we see what the wisp has to say and then return to investigate this pier. I assume this is what they are looking for."

Lera picks up the spyglass and holds it up to the others, leaving the gem for someone else. She then uses her healing mud to patch up Sachiko.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Sachiko Kaminaga
    Kitsune Thief Rogue 1
    AC: 18 | HP: 16/16
    Fortitude: +3 | Reflex: +9 | Will: +6 | Perception: +6

"We're like a bunch of gluttons for punishment, eh?" Sachi laughs off her injuries, "How about we return the spyglass and see what we get for our troubles?"

29. - Top - End - #269

RedWizardGuy

You return to the study, once more an orb of light appears, oddly though, this time the voice that appears is much higher pitched, and seems to be coming from under a desk rather than the orb, Sachiko and Firtina spot something under it, a small humanoid creature with frizzy blonde hair and clothes that seem to be made from leaves.
    When it comes out to take the telescope, notcing the scrutinising looks at its hiding place, it, or as is now clear, he, is clearly a Brownie

He has a few things to tell you:
    First, this building used to belong to someone named Volluk Azrinae.
    Second, Volluk was an apprentice to someone else named Belcorra, and even though this Volluk seemed
    mean and dangerous, Belcorra seemed much worse!
    Finally, the spooky magic lighthouse can do more than just shine an eerie light; it can also shoot a beam
    full of ghosts (this seems to fit with that painting you saw)

Congratulations, you are all now level 2 You get your feats, skill increases, hp etc. immediately but new spells need to be prepared after resting.

You can head to the pier, through the blood room door (remember the haunt isn't fully active yet, but will come back eventually) or you could press deeper down those stairs you found (OOC you probably want to handle the above ground stuff first, deeper floors are harder)

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Sachiko Kaminaga
    Kitsune Thief Rogue 2
    AC: 19 | HP: 24/24
    Fortitude: +4 | Reflex: +10 | Will: +7
    Perception: +7 | Stealth: +10

Prepared Spells: None

"Should we return to the door we couldn't open before?" Sachi asks the others, confident her experiences thus far had allowed her to grow in ways she didn't expect. She felt ready to take on anything.