New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default War for the Crown PF1 IC thread

Here will be the IC thread for the game.

Recruitment Thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...Adventure-Path

OOC Thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...PF1-OOC-Thread

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: War for the Crown PF1 IC thread

The adventure begins in the capital city of Oppara, heart of the Taldan empire.

Visitors flock to Oppara in the days leading up to the Grand Day of Exaltation. The populace of the city doubles during this time, making Oppara larger than any other city in the Inner Sea region, save Absalom. The self-importance of the already prideful Taldan people swells in equal measure. Street vendors sell traditional Taldan foods—anchovy skewers, anglebobs, canal crossings, clamguards, jubilee pie, honeyflake, long wine, yonder tarts, and more—including regional delicacies from separated provinces such as Andoran mince and Chelish raven cake. Family banners and provincial flags drape the sides of most buildings, with merchants hawking heraldry ranging from replica banners of the old Armies of Exploration to wooden swords and handheld Taldan flags for children. Taverns offer themed drink and food, with varying bars adopting well-known nobles from the long history of the empire as their mascot or self-declared patron.

Alongside all the pomp and circumstance filling Oppara is a noteworthy moment in history: the imperial senate is poised to hold a historic vote to end primogeniture. The potential end of the millenniastanding law of succession is the talk of the town. Streets and taverns are abuzz with conversations; some wish
    to see the law thrown down to pave a way for Princess Eutropia to ascend to the throne, while hardliners (especially elder nobles) believe the vote to be another
    wound in the great history of the empire, allowing not only the rabble-rousing Eutropia to inherit family power, but every ill-deserving woman. Regardless of the outcome, both sides of the debate agree that life will go on, and despite the serious ramifications of primogeniture’s potential end, the streets of Oppara hold no signs of unrest during the jubilant celebrations of the Grand Day of Exaltation.

You are a disparate band, gathered at the hand of Martela Lotheed, a scion of the noble Lotheed house. She has called each of you to appear before her.

"Greetings, my friends. Come and be welcome. Please make yourselves known to each other, for those of you who do not know others," she says. She is richly dressed, as if about to go to a ball. Her dress alone must have cost a small fortune, and her jewellery could only have been afforded by the nobility.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Matanya Harino, better known as Rebecca Romos, is sitting demurely in a chair, hands folded on her lap. She is dressed in plain clothing of muted colors, suitable for a servant. The whole outfit clashes a little with the beauty and the curves of the woman, but Rebecca is experienced at playing a role. "Thank you for inviting me. The request for us to come discreetly is counter to my usual strengths, but a job on the Grand Day of Exaltation must be important."

The raven-haired beauty looks at each of the others here. "It looks like we may all be working together. My name is Rebecca Romos. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

When she gets to Seresy and Lilian, Rebecca smiles. "It's good to see you two again. I hope things are going well at the temple?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Rikkard

Rikkard enters with a flourish of a long cape of Taldan blue and green and bows low to the assembled ladies “Greetings all, I have the pleasure to be Count Rikkard Vernisant,” he pauses and nods, “Yesof that House Vernisant.”

Looking up he nods to Lady Lotheed, “It has been many years Martello. But they have been kind to you. What is that you need so urgently, my Uncle will be at the Grand Exultation and I would have seen your there tonight.”

Looking about at the others he tries to work out they their noble stations

OOC
    Know (local) +8 or (nobility) +10 (3d20)[14][7][12](33)

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The younger, bespectacled man rises to greet everyone. He's dressed fairly simply, in a long-sleeved gray shirt and pants and a leather belt; the clothes are certainly well made but aren't ostentatious at all.

"Lady Lockheed, it is a pleasure to see you again as always; Count Vernisant, Miss Ramos, I am likewise pleased to make your acquaintances. My name is Eathan, for those of you that don't know me."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A striking young woman, simply garbed by comparison to most of the company simply nods in turn as the others introduce themselves. At Rebecca's question, a flicker of a wry smirk passes her lips as she shrugs. "Oh, you know. Busy." she responds, perhaps more dutifully than anything else.

When her turn arises, she inclines her head slightly to Lady Lotheed. After a moment, her gaze flicks among the (large) gathered party before returning to her host. Displeased at whatever she finds there, she purses her lips. "You may call me Seresey," she murmurs, clearly, but begrudgingly. Clearly, this is as "known to each other" as she cares to make herself- perhaps already more than she desires.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With a laugh high and ringing like a bell, Seresey's companion - sitting so close that the two are touching, nearly too close for propriety - looks at her sister and with a mocking smile scolds her. "Now Seresey, there is no need to be so coy! When a noble Lady asks for our presence it is surely a good thing for the Family, and everyone here seems pleasant enough," she says, her voice dripping with humor and infectious pleasure. Turning to Rebecca she reaches out as if to pull the third woman into the pile with her sister and says, "You are kind to call it a temple, 'Becca, but you know it's not so grand. Maybe one day, but to get there we must all work so hard," she says, eyeing the men in the room hungrily. "But probably not tonight - the Lady surely has something more...cultural for us, hmmm?"

Lillian doesn't introduce herself, possibly deliberately, but is dressed in a solid, matte-black catsuit that leaves nothing to the imagination. She dressed as if she's prepared to engage in some sort of clandestine breaking-and-entering, though her hair looks lustrous and her makeup is pristine. It's clear she's used to turning heads and enjoys the attention, but is equally prepared for a totally different kind of job. Beside her is a small, black bag - not a purse, but about that size. When moved it makes no sound at all, and it has no bright buttons or latches visible anywhere on it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Maya sat with an arm stuffed into each sleeve of her iron-grey robes. Her face held a simple, placid look that carried around the table before settling onto Martella, then downcast to the floor. A fine thread of filigree was laced into the robes, the stitching silvered and mapped like tiny circutlories that fell in parallel with one another down the length of the robes thread, down to where the hem of her robes ended in a heavy curtain. Like a waterfall of falling cataracts. The slippers she wore held similar streaks, running at a tight perpendicular to the robe's own for how Maya held her posture: back straight, each thin leg pressed against the chair. Eyes downcast. Had Maya been prone to feeling something like desire, she would have desired a hood to go along with it. But the priestess did not. She did not deserve to show her face, yet circumstance dictated otherwise. She had been abroad too long, education notwithstanding. It was important to be seen in public.

"Maya Talbot." Her voice was flat. Monotone. There was no need to elaborate further. She would not insult any of the gathered persons intelligence by offering that Father would be at the Exultation. This was a given. Similarly, there was little need to elaborate on what her family proffered by way of their status. This was also a given. Barring her faith. This was private. Within the sleeves of Maya's robes, the Fadrex curled tight around her left wrist, a mirror to the stigmata that had blessed her body since birth. Maya blinked slowly. "How may I be of aid, Lady Lotheed?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Knowledge Nobility (1d20+6)[20]
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne-Rob View Post
    "...and everyone here seems pleasant enough,"
    Seresey raises an eyebrow at her sister, but says nothing.

At Maya Talbot's last name, she blinks- almost imperceptibly- in surprise. Stifling a frown of... interest? Appreciation? She tilts her head askance and narrows her eyes slightly, as if appraising the quiet woman. At her lack of a response, Seresey smiles just a hair, and nods.

"Perhaps this will be.. hmmm, worthwhile after all," she murmurs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

"A colorful company! I could believe I was still at one of Larston's theatre perfomances."

A young and muscular elf sizes up his new acquaintances. His appearance is slightly uncanny - each individual feature on his face is perfectly sculpted and handsome, but the with the whole somehow forming something unnerving, even a little creepy. He can't help his eyes pausing a moment on Lilian's costume, though he seems more ill-at-ease in his current surroundings than anything.

"I am Ostsi Liviacus... and I've not been called pleasant often. Nor am I normally one to be an errand-runner for nobility... but if you all truly stand for change, and power in the hands of all Taldans, I'll be as pleasant and as helpful a comrade as you need."

His outfit looks like that of a scholar's or scribe's, with colored pens and the corners of a number of illustrations poking from the top of a satchel.

Spoiler: Rikkard's knowledge check
    Show
    Rikkard notes the insignia of the minor Olianus house, mostly invested in theatre and entertainment, on Ostsi's outfit - likely marking a patron or employer, the elf certainly doesn't seem to be any kind of nobility himself.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Rikkard had been nodding along as his new companions spoke but speaks at Ostsi’s words. Here, here. I have seen the savage of the World wound and the awe and joy that a noble Queen can bring. I say that if Galifrey can lead in Mendev then why not the Crown Princess here.”

Though noticeably he doesn’t seem to be endorsing any more social change than the upcoming primogeniture vote

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

With a very obvious yawn and a suggestive, stretching-yawn Lillian says, "Politics can be so exhausting, but if it helps the Family of Calistria I'm glad to help. Everything takes so long - except what you want to last - when a bunch of stuffy old men get together to talk power and succession. Is that why we're here, Lady Lotheed? 'Becca, Seresey, and I can all help to influence the vote, if you like. I'll probably enjoy it, honestly..." The Calistrian priestess smiles suggestively as she waits for a response from their hostess.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, Calistrians, yes, that does explain the attire" Eathan remarked with a knowing smile. "I suspect however that our hostess has something else in mind rather than strict reliance on that sort of, er, persuasion. Isn't that right, Lady Lotheed?"

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGuy

Lillian appears to take no offense, instead smiling and winking suggestively at Eathan. Silently blowing him a kiss she mouths, "Do you like my outfit?" before smirking flirtatiously and turning away to give her attention to the noble Lady again.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The young man's only reply was a slight roll of his eyes -- and a bit of a visible blush on his cheek that said that, well, he was at least suitably entertained.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Martella nods agreeably at those getting to know the other members of her clique. "I have tasks for each of you to accomplish at the gala. Some will require more work than others, but all are essential. I will allow each of you to select your own task. And several days after the gala, I will pay each of those successful a hundred and fifty gold pieces. If you all achieve your tasks, I will double that amount." She then proceeds to lay out the tasks that are required, then sits back to allow the party to come up with their own tasks from among those listed.

Spoiler: The Tasks
    Show

Each task also is listed with the background trait most likely suited to it, but it isn't essential to pick the same as the trait you have.

Aide (Athletic Champion): In addition to spies, Martella
    legitimately needs a senatorial aide as both a cover
    for her other false aides and to run communications
    between allied politicians. This is by far the easiest job
    available, but also the most time-consuming, requiring
    the PC to run messages between various politicians.
    Navigating the crowded senate floor to deliver
    messages quickly requires a successful DC 12 Escape
    Artist or combat maneuver check. Martella first tasks this
    agent with delivering a sealed letter to Count Orlundo
    Zespire in the archives, who asks the PC to wait 1 round
    and then deliver a follow-up message to Junior Senator
    Duo in the gallery. During Martella’s first meeting with
    the PCs, she asks her aide to
    deliver a similar message to Lady Glorianna Morilla
    in the courtyard, who asks the agent to run messages
    to both Martella at her table in the gallery and Duke
    Centimus in the archives. Duke Centimus is content
    with the information he receives, but Martella then asks
    her aide to run a file folder she “borrowed” back to the
    archives as well. If this agent successfully delivers all this
    paperwork, he succeeds at his mission.

Discovery (Taldan Patriot): Martella is confident
    Eutropia has gathered the votes necessary for her cause,
    but she hates loose ends. She tasks this agent with
    uncovering the true dedication of two senators: Duke
    Centimus and Countess Abrielle Pace. It is unknown
    if either supports Eutropia’s bid to end primogeniture,
    and while their votes will be apparent after the senate
    convenes, Martella wants the PC to discover their
    positions in advance, as well as the reasons each noble
    holds that position.
    Divining each noble’s motivations requires a
    successful DC 15 Sense Motive or Perception check after
    at least one member of the party has put the noble at
    ease with one or more successful Influence checks.

Fraud (Disgraced Noble): Martella needs to discredit a
    few prominent senators backing primogeniture—not
    necessarily to sway their votes, but to undercut their
    influence after the vote.
    This agent must create a scandal surrounding one of
    the major opponents to the repeal of primogeniture.
    Doing so requires first identifying an opponent, either
    with a successful DC 15 Sense Motive check or by
    coordinating with another PC (such as one taking the
    Discovery mission), and then by spreading rumors with
    a successful DC 15 Bluff check and manufacturing or
    coopting damning evidence on the fly with a successful DC
    12 Linguistics check.

Politicking (Senatorial Hopeful): The orchestrations of
    Eutropia, Glorianna Morilla, and Martella Lotheed have
    swayed a great number of reluctant senators, and Lady
    Lotheed requires a vast web of influence to maintain that.
    To that end, she would like this agent to make a strong
    impression on Baron Nicolaus Okerra and remind him of
    certain debts he owes her. While Baron Nicolaus Okerra
    isn’t a senator, his war record and general popularity
    make him an influential figure—one whose reputation
    helped sway a number of otherwise neutral votes.

Sabotage (Young Reformer): Some senators are too
    powerful or stubborn for the PCs to influence their
    votes, but that doesn’t mean they’re beyond some petty
    revenge. Martella would like to exact some retribution
    against her more powerful half-brothers, who have
    contributed a large bottle of rare, 150-year-old red wine
    from family holdings in the Opparos province, now
    held in the senate’s kitchens. Martella provides a single
    syringe filled with a putrefying agent to render the wine
    embarrassingly undrinkable but warns her agent not to
    steal the bottle and to conceal any signs of tampering;
    it must be drunk at dinner and appear to be of terrible
    quality or—even more scandalously—a forgery.
    Recognizing the correct bottle in the crowded
    kitchen requires a successful DC 11 Appraise check or
    DC 15 Knowledge (nobility) check, while injecting the
    putrefying agent without leaving any trace of tampering
    requires a successful DC 14 Disable Device check.

Spy (Rising Star): Martella needs someone to keep tabs
    on political rivals and update her if they change their
    tactics, most notably High Strategos Maxillar Pythareus.
    This agent must stay close to the military commander,
    watching for unusual behavior or listening for snippets
    of conversation, and warn her if he takes any unusual
    actions, all while remaining unobtrusive.
    Spying requires a total of three successful DC 14
    Perception or Sense Motive checks, but to approach close
    enough to attempt one of these checks while remaining
    unnoticed requires the agent to first succeed a DC 15
    Disguise or Stealth check (this check is not considered
    part of the PC’s social action).

Theft (none): To further undermine the influence of the
    recently disgraced Earl Calhadion Vernisant, Martella
    would like to see some of the historical artifacts that
    the earl donated to the senate vanish from the Arcade
    of Triumphs before it is unveiled prior to the evening’s
    vote. Martella indicates that her agent is free to keep the
    item; she wishes only for its disappearance to further
    embarrass Earl Vernisant and his allies. The artifacts
    aren’t secured; the senate assumes anyone sophisticated
    enough to attended this crowded gala would never
    dream of stealing anything on public display.
    Stealing any single curio from Martella’s list requires a
    successful DC 17 Sleight of Hand skill check. Martella’s list
    mention five items—a buckler, a dagger, a fan, a journal,
    and a spyglass—but she needs only three of them to go
    missing to disgrace the earl.

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGuy

Lillian considers the tasks for several long moments, smiling demurely and only making quite, noncommittal sounds. "I'll go and ruin the wine - getting into the kitchen won't be any trouble at all. After that, I can go and look into the votes of Duke Centimus...or Countess Pace. I'd prefer to speak with the Duke..." she volunteers, suddenly dropping the act and seriously discussing the situation. "A well-placed distraction by someone else will make the ploy to ruin the toast easy. If someone wishes to help, I will return the...favor." Lillian says, finishing by returning to her usual persona and innuendos.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think I know a couple people that work in the kitchen" Eathan offered. "This 'putrefying agent', to be clear, will simply ruin the wine? No other ill effects on those who consume it?"

"Or I could try talking to Baron Okerra. It would be helpful to know the nature of these 'debts' that he owes you ... and just how willing you may be to discharge those debts in exchange for his cooperation."

"I also wouldn't mind tagging along to visit Uncle Orlundo -- but all that running around is otherwise something that would suit me rather poorly."
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2023-12-29 at 08:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Rikkard

The young Count shakes his head slightly, "I will not be a party to stealing my Uncle's display. But I will help talk to some of the senators. I will not lower myself to poisoning wine or oving things Martella. Thse things should be below you as well. I know you want Eutropia to succeed but it should be done honorably."

As he looks at the list of tasks he nods, recognising some of the names on the parchments

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

Lillian giggles flirtatiously as Eathan expresses interest in joining her. "Oh, you're going to be fun!" she exclaims before turning to the young Count and mock-pouting. "You're not," she says, pointing at him and rubbing at her right eye with a closed fist. "The wine won't be poisoned - while the Family might be willing, Lady Lotheed doesn't want to hurt anyone! Just leave them with a bad taste in their mouth...Don't poo-poo on the game! Just let those of us who are good at it play!"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    All role-playing. As a player I think the Count has entirely reasonable concerns. I am just assuming that the Lady Lotheed has clearly explained what the putrefying agent will actually do - it seems there is alot assumed from the DM post, but I could be wrong.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Maya read the list of assignments last, craning her neck and chin to read through the list of assignments. Her eyes were the only thing that moved as she took in the information, brown held completely placid for how it went unchanging as she read who they were assembled against. The serpent around her arm tightened as her eyes scanned the text regarding the Baron Okerra. Maya blinked slowly as the Faedrex tightened a bit more, and it was by this sign that Maya knew her assignment for the Exultation Day ball was chosen for her. This way, and not some other.

She spoke low, choosing a fleeting moment of quiet within the discourse among the others to make the choice that had been made for her known. "If it pleases you, I would attempt to sway the Baron." She paused and looked up from where she guessed her feet to be under the table, then took in everyone with the same even look with which she'd read the list. Then the woman's eyes lowered to gaze at the same spot as before. "And assist the personages assembled herein in whatever manner possible."

Show

Knowledge (Nobility) for information on Baron Okerra (1d20+7)[13]
    Last edited by n0ble; 2023-12-30 at 02:15 PM.
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

"I can arrange for the thefts. An idle noble's wealth is stolen from every Taldan mouth! And I have a reliable contact or two, and some experience with spreading rumours and making scenes! I can make any distractions required... and slander with the best of them... though I'll admit I'm more familiar with slandering nobles in the eyes of the commoners and not their peers. Perhaps one of our more court-adept comrades could provide some insight on the sort of scandal to peddle."

Show
    Slander is Ostsi's thing, he's got a class feature and everything, but unfortunately Linguistics is trained only and he doesn't have a rank to make the check to manufacture a scandal.

Could he do research for it similar to doing research to make an untrained knowledge check?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Seresey frowns deeply. She snorts a bit at Rikkard's pushback. "And I'd say you're being more polite than any of them deserve. I will push the Baron." She turns to Martella with a bit of a squint. "How forcefully, exactly, would you like him reminded of his debts?"

Show
    That one seems vague, but know(nobility) and intimidate don't seem to directly apply anywhere else.

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGuy

Lillian watches Maya with a momentary concerned expression, though she doesn't engage with the softspoken and apparently traumatized woman just yet...

She smiles at Ostsi's declarations, apparently undisturbed by his uncanny appearance. She giggles quietly at his grandiose statements, but again, doesn't engage directly.

Her snort of genuine amusement at her sister's selection is obviously real. "Of course you'd choose to be scary - play to your strengths, right?" she whispers in Seresey's ear, a twinkle in her eye. ""Savor the sting for me!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Seresey allows herself a momentary smirk. "One doesn't win contests on their weaknesses, dear sister," she purrs.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Lady listens in to the debate, and when it is roughly settled, she says, "I can provie each of you thirty gold pieces forth of courtier's clothing to help you fit in. Though if you can chip in forty fave more, you will be able to afford noble clothing, if that should help. I can also loan each of you appropriate costume jewellery to help you to fit in."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Eathan nods subtly to Rikkard as if to say 'good chap'.

"A courtier's tailoring should be more than sufficient. Under most circumstances I would consider it wasteful, but I suppose it is important for appearance's sake."

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

Lillian coos happily at the offer of gold coin, even if it is intended for a purchase already. "Some jewelry sounds lovely - will I need it to fake being a courtier inspecting the food before the big event?" she asks Lady Lotheed with a pretty smile. "I will certainly take good care of it, but I'd be worried about drawing too much attention," she continues. Dropping her facade she says seriously, "It won't be too hard to sneak into the kitchen without attracting attention, especially if Eathan can set up a distraction. The more bland and forgettable the clothing, the better..."

With a serious expression Lillian looks to Eathan and asks, "That plan alright with you?" before smiling sweetly again.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I'm imagining something pretty drab and boring - not ugly enough to stand out, but certainly not in fashion or showy. It's likely that 30 GP will be plenty to accomplish that, and the jewelry - while enticing to Lillian - will be unnecessary.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

At Lady Martella's last comment, Seresey retrieves a small pouch from where it was nestled somewhere on the interior of her blouse. For only a few heartbeats, the clink of coin can be heard before she frowns deeply. "The baron would certainly respond more believably to one of his own stature," she grunts, scowling. "I am short some dozen coin to appropriately appoint myself as such."

She looks around the room with an unexpected expression, not especially unhappy to put herself in a position of need before so many relative unknowns. "I would be quite glad to make arrangements with any of you if you're willing to help me cover the difference. "

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Eathan looked back at Lillian, pondering. "Well ... in principle that's a decent plan. My consideration of the matter led me to think that it would be quite simple for me to visit my friend in the kitchen there, and obtain his assistance in the matter. If you believe that you're fully capable of the matter, I would be happy to perhaps have him arrange a tour of sorts, an official inspection perhaps..."

At Seresy's request, he pulled out a small coin pouch, dumping it on the table and taking but a glance at the small collection of silvers and coppers. "I'm afraid I'm a bit over eight short of that at the moment. Sorry."