New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Domino Quartz's Delightfully Quaint Random Banter Thread #248

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Typically speaking, if someone is in the hospital and the doctors say they're not making it out of the hospital, it means they're not going to recover.

Ever.
    Thank you for clarifying but I still feel sorry for BisectedBroche and her father. Also I know how it feels to when a parent getting really ill. Believe me I've been there.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #932
    Colossus in the Playground

In other news, after noticing my stepfather struggling to get his jerky maker down, I volunteered to get it as I am tall and cursed with long limbs.

What I did not know was that he had a spare blade from his meat slicer right next to the jerky machine, not in any kind of container.

Time slows as what appears to be a serrated sawblade rolls out of seemingly nowhere and falls off the top of the cabinet and though I see it coming my body fails to move. It bounces off my hand, scraping two fingers, and then time resumes its normal flow as it bounces off of me, cuts the hell out of my stepfather's hand, and then bounces again landing on the far side of the kitchen counter.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In other news, after noticing my stepfather struggling to get his jerky maker down, I volunteered to get it as I am tall and cursed with long limbs.

What I did not know was that he had a spare blade from his meat slicer right next to the jerky machine, not in any kind of container.

Time slows as what appears to be a serrated sawblade rolls out of seemingly nowhere and falls off the top of the cabinet and though I see it coming my body fails to move. It bounces off my hand, scraping two fingers, and then time resumes its normal flow as it bounces off of me, cuts the hell out of my stepfather's hand, and then bounces again landing on the far side of the kitchen counter.
    I wish I could say "and thats when your stepfather learned not to leave random unprotected blades sitting in obscure nonvisible locations where they could be dangerous." but based on how you have described him previously I think its more likely that the followup was "and that's when your Stepfather yelled at you for dropping a knife on his hand that you had no ability to see and he didnt tell you was there."
    Last edited by Keltest; 2024-03-20 at 10:32 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #934
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    Spoilered for stressful IRL stuff

Spoiler
    Show
    So, I was meant to have two weeks off for my birthday, but I ended up spending most of it looking after my dad. Either seeing him looking terrible, or waiting to pick him up from hospital. On Monday I got a call telling me he won't be making it out...
    I've nothing to offer but my sympathies and hugs if those are welcome.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

5. - Top - End - #935

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I wish I could say "and thats when your stepfather learned not to leave random unprotected blades sitting in obscure nonvisible locations where they could be dangerous." but based on how you have described him previously I think its more likely that the followup was "and that's when your Stepfather yelled at you for dropping a knife on his hand that you had no ability to see and he didnt tell you was there."
    No, actually. He was more concerned with stopping the bleeding.

Dude's an ******* but he's not that much of an *******.

Also, he's really used to getting cut. A few minutes later we were joking about it.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So anyway next Tuesday I got a job interview for Pret A Manger for food prep. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2024-03-21 at 10:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

No, actually. He was more concerned with stopping the bleeding.

Dude's an ******* but he's not that much of an *******.

Also, he's really used to getting cut. A few minutes later we were joking about it.
    Hm. I feel like there's a song for that.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the sympathy everyone (update in spoiler)

Spoiler
    Show
    I visited him this morning, on the palliative care ward. He's no longer responsive, and on a driver.

He's been rapidly going downhill since December, after he hurt his arm in a fall. My brothers think he just gave up. Either way, he picked up an infection last time he was in hospital and that seems to have spread to his kidneys.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

I recently updated my desktop to have a 2TB internal SSD, and now loading times are much better on games. Especially BG3, now I just need to decide which of the poly Origin Characters to date so I can snuggle with Bear Dad.

Probably not Karlach, she's not that up for it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So anyway today my supervisor told me the update for my television debut for Table For All on PBS. The day is going to be May 22, 2024 on Wednesday. I don't know the actual time but I'll let you know the final update of the time.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I recently updated my desktop to have a 2TB internal SSD, and now loading times are much better on games. Especially BG3, now I just need to decide which of the poly Origin Characters to date so I can snuggle with Bear Dad.

Probably not Karlach, she's not that up for it.
    She is with the poly mod.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

BB, sorry about your dad. That's rough.

I've had something similar happen. I was in a Tuesday Morning, and there was a little old lady who was having trouble reaching a box of quilts on the top shelf. I stretched up, grabbed it, and it tilted just enough to drop the large cast iron frying pan that was resting on top of the box on my head. Large goose egg, and the sad thing is that wasn't even the worst part of the day.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, not in the strict biological sense, no, but Living Abyss is called living abyss for a reason.
    Not sure I totally understand, but I think I understand the main point. You want to be life-suffocating goo.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I tried to send this in a PM, but I’m having trouble with those, in any case it’s no great secret:

If you’re visiting San Diego the Model Railroad Museum near the zoo is well worth the visit, and as I recall the back then six year old loved it

As for me (since I haven’t given an update here in a long time, I’m living less then a ten minute walk to the Pacific Ocean, still with my beloved roommate who’s recovering from yet more cancerous tumors removed, I still have a 1978 Triumph Bonneville motorcycle, still doing the same job; on weekends I visit the kids.

I have a horrible cough I can’t shake, which since my beloved roommate has a chronically weak immune system makes life awkward (I wear a mask when we’re inside together).

About the most exciting new thing was I went to see one of my all time favorite bands The Buzzcocks perform this last week, and at the concert a very drunk young lady (she said she was only 39) said that I “looked really hot”, and was very friendly, the last time anything close to that happened was over 33 years ago (also at a concert).

I’m looking forward to seeing what D&D 5.5 is like, and i still re-read old sword & sorcery tales
    Congrats on the exciting developments in your life. Hope your cough goes away. And that you and that young lady get to see each other again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    So anyway next Tuesday I got a job interview for Pret A Manger for food prep. Wish me luck.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    So anyway today my supervisor told me the update for my television debut for Table For All on PBS. The day is going to be May 22, 2024 on Wednesday. I don't know the actual time but I'll let you know the final update of the time.
    That's exciting.

Thanks for the sympathy everyone (update in spoiler)

Spoiler
    Show
    I visited him this morning, on the palliative care ward. He's no longer responsive, and on a driver.

He's been rapidly going downhill since December, after he hurt his arm in a fall. My brothers think he just gave up. Either way, he picked up an infection last time he was in hospital and that seems to have spread to his kidneys.
    I'm sorry about your dad. It must be a super stressful time for you and your family.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground

This is the last I'll say about it here (I know it's a bit of a downer)

Spoiler
    Show
    He passed away peacefully on Thursday morning.

My brothers and I are going through all the paperwork. I'm distracting myself as best I can while also looking for a new place to live.

In unrelated news, on Saturday I was woken up at like 9 in the morning by a middle aged woman asking if I could retrieve a balloon from my garden. Sure enough there was a "50 today" balloon tangled in a bush just outside the back door.

Very surreal.
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

15. - Top - End - #945

So that Spec bio-series on Youtube I mention every so often has been picking up steam with output.

Last week the released a video on a rather terrifying take on deep-sea mermaids, after releasing the "what if both zombie and werewolf" video I mentioned a little bit before hand.

...This week, total whiplash. They started talking about the squonk.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #946

Spoiler
    Show

My brothers and I are going through all the paperwork. I'm distracting myself as best I can while also looking for a new place to live.

In unrelated news, on Saturday I was woken up at like 9 in the morning by a middle aged woman asking if I could retrieve a balloon from my garden. Sure enough there was a "50 today" balloon tangled in a bush just outside the back door.

Very surreal.
    I am sorry for your loss, Brioche.

------

... that, is very surreal. Feels like if an grandma knocked on your door and asked for her frisbee from off your roof or something. Good for them to have such an energetic life at this age, but weird to experience it.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Very surreal.
    My condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    ... that, is very surreal. Feels like if an grandma knocked on your door and asked for her frisbee from off your roof or something. Good for them to have such an energetic life at this age, but weird to experience it.
    What kind of grandmother doesn't own a frisbee? Gotta keep in practice for when the descendants visit.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

18. - Top - End - #948

What kind of grandmother doesn't own a frisbee? Gotta keep in practice for when the descendants visit.
    In the hypothetical I've concocted, the grandma HAS her own frisbee. The problem is that her hubby threw it too hard and it landed on the neighbor's roof and now we gotta go ask Miss Jenkins (20 something business woman) to get it back down for them.

19. - Top - End - #949

Pop culture trivia: When Gravity Falls was first airing, the showrunners posted an AMA thread in character as series antagonist Bill Cipher.

One Reddit user asked Bill's gender and his response was that he doesn't know because, to paraphrase, his dimension of origin recognizes over 14 billion distinct genders and he can't be assed to do the paperwork to keep track.

Granted, he could be lying. He does that.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

Pop culture trivia: When Gravity Falls was first airing, the showrunners posted an AMA thread in character as series antagonist Bill Cipher.

One Reddit user asked Bill's gender and his response was that he doesn't know because, to paraphrase, his dimension of origin recognizes over 14 billion distinct genders and he can't be assed to do the paperwork to keep track.

Granted, he could be lying. He does that.
    I wonder how many letters each pronoun would have to be to have distinct words for 14 billion genders?

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show

I'm really for your loss, friend.

22. - Top - End - #952

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I wonder how many letters each pronoun would have to be to have distinct words for 14 billion genders?
    If Bill was being truthful, his real name in his native language would disintegrate a mortal so we can conclude that their language involves some sort of exchange of energy other than mere sound which might make it easier to have distinct pronouns.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

In the hypothetical I've concocted, the grandma HAS her own frisbee. The problem is that her hubby threw it too hard and it landed on the neighbor's roof and now we gotta go ask Miss Jenkins (20 something business woman) to get it back down for them.
    You see in my mind Granny was single and had made the throw herself.

So he's from near future Earth,?

Show

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

So he's from near future Earth,?
    Pretty sure most of the genders the internet comes up with are just meme genders that won't actually last or be recognized by most society in the long term. At best, they will probably just all be shoveled under "Non-Binary" for the sake of simplicity.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

25. - Top - End - #955
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Depends on the language. By my calculations, with about 280 phonemic speech sounds (easily manageable even without going non-pulmonal if you don't mind conconant clusters), the answer is 5 or less per each. Some of the letters, mind, will probably look… Weird, to the untrained eye.

Edit: Oh, and that's assuming the language uses a reasonable, largely phonetic alphabet. With, say, an abjad, a syllabary, logographic stuff or some very odd etymological script one can go lower yet (possibly at the cost of dramatically increasing the number of graphemes neccessary, but such is life).
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-03-25 at 03:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Very surreal.
    That’s really hard. I’m sorry.

I am sorry for your loss, Brioche.

------

... that, is very surreal. Feels like if a grandma knocked on your door and asked for her frisbee from off your roof or something. Good for them to have such an energetic life at this age, but weird to experience it.
    50 is still young. And you’re never too old for balloons.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

To bring up some lighter news, I've successfully made ears for my tiefling cosplay!

https://twitter.com/BisectedBrioche/...88630566215696

Spoiler: Photos for those who no longer use the birb app
    Show

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty sure most of the genders the internet comes up with are just meme genders that won't actually last or be recognized by most society in the long term. At best, they will probably just all be shoveled under "Non-Binary" for the sake of simplicity.
    A) do you always try to ruin jokes?
    B) that would be a bad thing as there's a big difference between demimales, agenders, and fluidflux people. We should honestly instead just tear down the pillars of male and female and let people identify their gender as they see fit*.

But mostly A.

Reinstalled Mass Effect Andromeda and fires it up yesterday, because BG3 has so few romance options that look cool. On the downside none of the ME romances reach the awesomeness of Halsin.

* I don't have a legal name, why do I have a legal gender?

Show

29. - Top - End - #959

To bring up some lighter news, I've successfully made ears for my tiefling cosplay!

https://twitter.com/BisectedBrioche/...88630566215696

Spoiler: Photos for those who no longer use the birb app
    Show

Looks nice.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey TaiLiu. I wrote 2 chapters of my Dungeons & Dragons: The Dragoon Family so far. I'm so happy.