New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Domino Quartz's Delightfully Quaint Random Banter Thread #248

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Really? The argument I've always heard is that viruses aren't alive because they have no inherent means of reproducing themselves.
    I've heard that too, but... what makes "a wasp laying eggs in a caterpillar" count as an "inherent means of reproduction" that doesn't also apply to "a virus infecting a cell"

Whenever I ask that, I get "it doesn't matter because [the cell membrane thing] anyway, so they still aren't alive"

EDIT: To be clear, I actually do consider viruses to be alive (and belonging to superdomains "Virae" "Girae" possssibly "Retrovirae" as opposed to other life in superdomain "Biota")
    It's just that all my life I was told they weren't, and that my opinion on the matter didn't count because I was uneducated and unqualified, as shown by the fact that I considered viruses alive.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2024-03-15 at 09:09 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It's kind of wild to be that this is the first I'm hearing of the idea of viruses not being alive, let alone a whole debate in the professional world about it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I've heard that too, but... what makes "a wasp laying eggs in a caterpillar" count as an "inherent means of reproduction" that doesn't also apply to "a virus infecting a cell"

Whenever I ask that, I get "it doesn't matter because [the cell membrane thing] anyway, so they still aren't alive"

EDIT: To be clear, I actually do consider viruses to be alive (and belonging to superdomains "Virae" "Girae" possssibly "Retrovirae" as opposed to other life in superdomain "Biota")
    It's just that all my life I was told they weren't, and that my opinion on the matter didn't count because I was uneducated and unqualified, as shown by the fact that I considered viruses alive.
    As far as the eggs thing goes, I can at least see the argument that the eggs dont strictly require the caterpillar as such, they just do it out of spite because it works and its there, whereas the virus cannot reproduce, ever, and they need to tell something else to build more of them.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2024-03-15 at 09:33 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #874
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I've heard that too, but... what makes "a wasp laying eggs in a caterpillar" count as an "inherent means of reproduction" that doesn't also apply to "a virus infecting a cell".
    Presumably, because the wasp still creates a viable fertilized egg before implanting it in the caterpillar. The host doesn't really do anything, it's just a warm/safe place for the egg.

Viiruses just leave stray bits of genetic code lying around while the host cell does all the actual work.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's kind of wild to be that this is the first I'm hearing of the idea of viruses not being alive, let alone a whole debate in the professional world about it.
    From what I recall from back in high school viruses were not considered alive, them being incapable of independent reproduction being the sticking point, but were noted as straddling the boundary between life and not-life.

6. - Top - End - #876

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    From what I recall from back in high school viruses were not considered alive, them being incapable of independent reproduction being the sticking point, but were noted as straddling the boundary between life and not-life.
    The comparison that I saw everywhere, for years, was zombies. Not alive, but they look like it from a difference and only able to make more of themselves by victimizing other things.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #877

The comparison that I saw everywhere, for years, was zombies. Not alive, but they look like it from a difference and only able to make more of themselves by victimizing other things.
    Zombies differ between different bits of fiction, though. Sometimes they're classic undead creatures (so dead, but magic) and sometimes they're living beings infected by something else (a virus or a parasite).

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

Presumably, because the wasp still creates a viable fertilized egg before implanting it in the caterpillar.
    That still requires more than a wasp. It requires two wasps.

If reproduction needs to be done singularly, that would mean there are very few living reptiles.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Put my vote for viruses are alive, and computers could potentially become alive, though reproduction is going to be a problem for computers as we know them.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Firbolg in the Playground

IIRC Dr.Richard Dwakins said something along the lines that replication was the most important defining trait of life, and that things like metabolism and organization into cells and being made out of organic chemicals were secondary
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-03-15 at 11:46 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

11. - Top - End - #881

MindFlayer

If you accept viruses as "life", do you accept prions?

When discussing reality, instead of fiction, we can get by with a fairly arbitrary choice between considering only cellular life as living, and also including viruses. At least, until we start getting data back from interstellar probes about alien worlds. But I think we are a few centuries away from that. Maybe, if we are very lucky (or very unlucky), we will detect life-like phenomena in the subsurface ocean of one of the moons of the outer planets.

In the meantime, we can come up with various definitions with all of the flaws of defining humans as "featherless bipeds".

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

The main reason zombies aren't considered alive is because their bodies used to belong to a life form that has now ceased to live.

I'm of the opinion that any coherent definition of life will include most undeads.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

13. - Top - End - #883

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    IIRC Dr.Richard Dwakins said something along the lines that replication was the most important defining trait of life, and that things like metabolism and organization into cells and being made out of organic chemicals were secondary
    found it:

"What, after all, is so special about genes? The answer is that they are replicators. The laws of physics are supposed to be true all over the accessible universe. Are there any principles of biology that are likely to have similar universal validity? When astronauts voyage to distant planets and look for life, they can expect to find creatures too strange and unearthly for us to imagine. But is there anything that must be true of all life, wherever it is found, and whatever the basis of its chemistry? If forms of life exist whose chemistry is based on silicon rather than carbon, or ammonia rather than water, if creatures are discovered that boil to death at -100 degrees centigrade, if a form of life is found that is not based on chemistry at all but on electronic reverberating circuits, will there still be any general principle that is true of all life? Obviously I do not know but, if I had to bet, I would put my money on one fundamental principle. This is the law that all life evolves by the differential survival of replicating entities. The gene, the DNA molecule, happens to be the replicating entity that prevails on our own planet. There may be others. If there are, provided certain other conditions are met, they will almost inevitably tend to become the basis for an evolutionary process."
    -Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-03-15 at 12:00 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    found it:
    That's all well and good for naturally occuring life. But what about artificial life?
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

15. - Top - End - #885

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    That's all well and good for naturally occuring life. But what about artificial life?
    Indeed, the thesis of that chapter of the book (Ch. 11: Memes, the New Replicators) is that information itself is effectively alive)

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    If you accept viruses as "life", do you accept prions?
    Personally, I don't. They don't replicate, they are one of many proteins. What happens in the diseases is that the same protein with a different fold somehow (I don't know whether we understand how) causes other examples of itself to change their folds to its way of folding.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Because the writer thought it sounded neat?
    It's surprising how common this is.

It thinks, it moves, it's physically capable of eating and breathing, it grows and changes over time, and it can reproduce. While it isn't, strictly speaking, composed of cells, it does have something analogous to(and chemically compatible with) DNA.

...Or at least, organisms made of it do.
    Okay, this isn't sounding much like an abyss.

Really? I've known it since before I studied them. I thought it was pretty common knowledge.

FWIW I think these days it's taught as 'questionably alive'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #888

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Okay, this isn't sounding much like an abyss.
    Okay, so stepping lightly here... You know how in creation myths the 'void' or 'chaos' that predates the act of creation is often described as akin to a vast or dark ocean?

That. The substance of that.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so stepping lightly here... You know how in creation myths the 'void' or 'chaos' that predates the act of creation is often described as akin to a vast or dark ocean?

Voids not having substance is like their defining feature.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

20. - Top - End - #890

Pet Peeve: "React" fics that are just... Too many people.

For those who don't now, it's a type of Meta Stoty wearing you depict the characters of a story as watching/reading their own story or a story that takes place in their setting and they're almost always meh.

I've looked into a couple and they almost always 1: Way to damn many people and 2: Motly an excuse to speedrun a character development in an unrealistic manner. "Oh, we're dating in the future? We better start dating now even though I kind of hate you."

And often like, most of the characters have no real connection to the plots/character of the work and thus nothing really meaningful to add to the commentary.

Good ones can be counted on one hand.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

the only kinda good written react fic I've read is the one where the 30k emperor and the primarchs react to if the emperor had a text to speech device, and even that has the "too many people" problem, yeah, so most of the primarchs end up being on rotation.

character react content is better when its a video, because it feels like your watching along with the characters being played, while written stuff has to deal with scribing out the content being reacted to.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #892

Huh. I tend to take that as "a metaphor you're somewhat more comfortable with, maybe" rather than true physical matter of any sort.

23. - Top - End - #893

I am watching a Person 3 Reload Playthrough.

Having come to 3 after 4 and 5, I imagine I'm gonna be confused as ****.

Like, all I know about this one is that it's the one where you activate your powers by shooting yourself in the head and that there isn't exactly a "good" ending so much as a "least bad" ending.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

I highly recommend buying and playing it yourself, there's something magical about an incomplete run that doesn't get through all of the game.

Like in my P3R playthrough Minato is dating Yuko. Is there a deep reason for this? No, it's just that the way social links and requirements are set up I got her high early and quite like the character, whereas Yukari and Mitsuru are a long way away from having their links started even in August.

Show

25. - Top - End - #895

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I highly recommend buying and playing it yourself, there's something magical about an incomplete run that doesn't get through all of the game.
    Not really an option for me.

Do have to say that having a cutscene of a desperate girl trying and failing to work up the nerve to shoot herself in the head not even five minutes in was certainly a choice. They are... Not at all subtle about the themes in this one.

Edit: Also... The **** is up with the protag? Like, "Oh the moon is green and there's puddles of blood and free-standing coffins everywhere... this is perfectly normal." Dude would not last five minutes in a horror movie.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2024-03-16 at 08:24 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #896

Not really an option for me.

Do have to say that having a cutscene of a desperate girl trying and failing to work up the nerve to shoot herself in the head not even five minutes in was certainly a choice. They are... Not at all subtle about the themes in this one.

Edit: Also... The **** is up with the protag? Like, "Oh the moon is green and there's puddles of blood and free-standing coffins everywhere... this is perfectly normal." Dude would not last five minutes in a horror movie.
    Good ol' Minato is at the "this may as well be happening" level of suicidal depression, and his constant casual coasting through existence as a result of it is part of P3's vibe, and I kinda love it. FemPC is better, and embodies the more manic aspect of existential depression, and I also love that. Minato floats on a sea and waits to drown, Korone moves at high speeds because if she stops for even a second she is going to CRASH.

27. - Top - End - #897

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Good ol' Minato is at the "this may as well be happening" level of suicidal depression, and his constant casual coasting through existence as a result of it is part of P3's vibe, and I kinda love it. FemPC is better, and embodies the more manic aspect of existential depression, and I also love that. Minato floats on a sea and waits to drown, Korone moves at high speeds because if she stops for even a second she is going to CRASH.
    ...Okay, shot in the dark.

If P5's themes were crime and rebellion with a moral of "don't just sit idly by while tyrants ruin the lives of others to ensure their own comfort" and P4's themes were small town melancholy and ignorance with a message of "don't give up on things, be it things about your life that you like or greater concepts like the value of truth just because it comes with bad things" then...

P3 is an existentialist horror story? The opening message was something about how your time was short and make the best of it, so... I'm guessing nihilism and depression, but the message is "life has no meaning and everyone's gonna die, make the most of what you have?"

Am I in the right ballpark?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

P3 hits hard and pulls few punches.

In addition to what Zodi said in at least some versions of the story Minato has been experiencing this for a long time.

P3 is an existentialist horror story? The opening message was something about how your time was short and make the best of it, so... I'm guessing nihilism and depression, but the message is "life has no meaning and everyone's gonna die, make the most of what you have?"

Am I in the right ballpark?
    Momento mori. P3 is about our relationship with death, all the way from fear to grim acceptance. Our death and that of others. One of the social links is a young man having to face the fact that he will die before his life has properly begun.

Remember you are mortal. Accept your death, and that of others, but live your life

Show

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

Having come to 3 after 4 and 5, I imagine I'm gonna be confused as ****.

Like, all I know about this one is that it's the one where you activate your powers by shooting yourself in the head and that there isn't exactly a "good" ending so much as a "least bad" ending.
    There's also the ending where you help the bad guy get away with it and abandon the town you live in to be utterly wiped out.

... or is that Persona 4? ... it might be Persona 4 now that I think about it. Hrm.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #900

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    There's also the ending where you help the bad guy get away with it and abandon the town you live in to be utterly wiped out.

... or is that Persona 4? ... it might be Persona 4 now that I think about it. Hrm.
    I think that's P4.

P4G added a social link with the guy who turns out to be the killer and if you get it to a certain rank by the time you expose him you have the option to refuse to turn him in for a bad end.

Ironically, maxing out the Link requires you to confront him. The relationship you had was based on lies and confronting him and getting him to turn himself in destroys that relationship but ends up causing a genuine one to form despite the circumstances, as represented by the Jester arcana being replaced by Hunger.

During the battle against the True Final Boss when all your completed social links appear to encourage you he's like "oh, how pathetic are you? If I have to take responsibility for my crimes, you have to get up and kick her ass, you got it?"

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks