New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1427
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Domino Quartz's Delightfully Quaint Random Banter Thread #248

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Your UK government quote technically contradicts your statement
    No it doesn't. It's just a conveniently written acknowledgement of what you are generally called and known by, issued by the state (the legal authority).

But hey, neither of us are legal professionals. Let's see whaty British legal professionals have to say about it.

Italics original.
    Changing your name is a legal matter, which means there isn’t an “official” place where you go to register a change of name.
    Again, that the UK has very convenient and lax mechanisms for changing your legal name does not mean that you don't have a legal name. You do. It's just much less legislated than in other countries.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-04-03 at 08:15 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

It used to be that you had to mess around with "deed polls" whatever they were. I don't know why it changed.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It used to be that you had to mess around with "deed polls" whatever they were. I don't know why it changed.
    A deed poll is a piece of paper two people have signed which states you're abandoning one name and taking up another.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Troll in the Playground

Strictly speaking, deed polls are as binding as they always were.

I got one when I changed my name because having an official looking document for it makes life way easier.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Colossus in the Playground

... so what I'm gathering is that my experience of "pay the government like 50 bucks" was not the norm in terms of how easy it was to change my name, huh.

6. - Top - End - #1026

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    ... so what I'm gathering is that my experience of "pay the government like 50 bucks" was not the norm in terms of how easy it was to change my name, huh.
    Depends on where you live. The norm in the Principality of Peelee could be very different from the norm in the Zodi Zones, and they could both be outliers in the generals global trends.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

Here, it's 'file with a local court that you intend to do so, publish your upcoming name change in a local paper for a period of two weeks advance notice, go before the court and swear to the judge that you are not changing your name for any criminal or malicious purposes, get your signed order recognizing your name change, now you get to go convince all the other records keeping agencies to update your name of record." Cost ~300ish dollars, IIRC, between the court and document fees and the cost to publish the notice with the cheapest qualifying local paper we could find at the time (a little local business gossip thing that I suspect operates almost entirely off name-change notifications and probably just being somebody's retirement hobby.) Might be cheaper now especially if they bowed to the inevitability of the future and let some online platforms qualify for posting notice.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Firbolg in the Playground

Is this conversation making anyone else think of the intro from The Prisoner?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

As people have said it's variable, over here it's annoying because while you can change your name for free if you want it to be legally enforceable you need to pay a solicitor to work everything out.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everyone. I got some bad news to tell you: I didn't get the job. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

11. - Top - End - #1031

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Depends on where you live. The norm in the Principality of Peelee could be very different from the norm in the Zodi Zones, and they could both be outliers in the generals global trends.
    True enough, but I do forget sometimes how wildly different it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Here, it's 'file with a local court that you intend to do so, publish your upcoming name change in a local paper for a period of two weeks advance notice, go before the court and swear to the judge that you are not changing your name for any criminal or malicious purposes, get your signed order recognizing your name change, now you get to go convince all the other records keeping agencies to update your name of record." Cost ~300ish dollars, IIRC, between the court and document fees and the cost to publish the notice with the cheapest qualifying local paper we could find at the time (a little local business gossip thing that I suspect operates almost entirely off name-change notifications and probably just being somebody's retirement hobby.) Might be cheaper now especially if they bowed to the inevitability of the future and let some online platforms qualify for posting notice.
    This is absurd to the point of genuinely being torture and I hope everyone involved [has a bad sleep].

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

I've never had reason to look into it, but from my understanding the process here in Sweden is fairly simple though the government do have to approve of the name itself, which mean it might get rejected (basically, any existing name is almost certainly fine, even if it's an unusual one, but some more out there suggestions get shot down).

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

No it doesn't. It's just a conveniently written acknowledgement of what you are generally called and known by, issued by the state (the legal authority).

But hey, neither of us are legal professionals. Let's see whaty British legal professionals have to say about it.

Italics original.
    Again, that the UK has very convenient and lax mechanisms for changing your legal name does not mean that you don't have a legal name. You do. It's just much less legislated than in other countries.
    I am a British legal professional; however, the forum rules prohibit me from giving legal advice here, so I will leave you all to argue.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I am a British legal professional; however, the forum rules prohibit me from giving legal advice here, so I will leave you all to argue.
    Don't forget to order popcorn for while you watch.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    We've told you before, you're nowhere near ugly enough to hide under bridges and tax passing goats!

This is absurd to the point of genuinely being torture and I hope everyone involved [has a bad sleep].
    Honestly the idea that changing your name should require ANY effort makes me appalled. You could end up being called Eustace Clarence Scrubb with no way out!

Had a chat with a couple of friends about my reluctance to ask for a GIC appointment, because I know they'll ask the weird questions. Their point that it's an issue for twenty seven years older me is both reassuring and distressing...

Show

16. - Top - End - #1036

We've told you before, you're nowhere near ugly enough to hide under bridges and tax passing goats!

Honestly the idea that changing your name should require ANY effort makes me appalled. You could end up being called Eustace Clarence Scrubb with no way out!

Had a chat with a couple of friends about my reluctance to ask for a GIC appointment, because I know they'll ask the weird questions. Their point that it's an issue for twenty seven years older me is both reassuring and distressing...
    Honestly everyone deserves at least one(1) free name change on the assumption that you might just not **** with what your parents called you. Like sorry folks but sometimes you don't know what to name your children and it Sucks.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Anybody else in range of this morning's northeast US earthquake?

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Anybody else in range of this morning's northeast US earthquake?
    I did. I thought the earthquake was the end of the world. I'm not joking

19. - Top - End - #1039

MindFlayer

Aftershock just now, maybe 8% of the first one.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

That was only 4.8, but enough to be very disturbing. It's good to hear that it doesn't sound like there were any deaths or major damage.
    Much worse in Taiwan earlier this week. Close friends have family there, but thankfully they live on the western side and are all fine.
    Last edited by Tarmor; 2024-04-05 at 07:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1041

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    This amuses me. Cheers!
    That seems more than a bit melodramatic.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    That was only 4.8, but enough to be very disturbing. It's good to hear that it doesn't sound like there were any deaths or major damage.
    Much worse in Taiwan earlier this week. Close friends have family there, but thankfully they live on the western side and are all fine.
    4.8. That was very disturbing indeed. This is the first time I've experienced an actual earthquake in New York City which is very rare by away.

23. - Top - End - #1043

4.8. That was very disturbing indeed. This is the first time I've experienced an actual earthquake in New York City which is very rare by away.
    There was an earthquake in 2023 and 2011 that could have been felt in New York. Haven't you lived there all your life?

24. - Top - End - #1044

MindFlayer

There was an earthquake in 2023 and 2011 that could have been felt in New York. Haven't you lived there all your life?
    2011 must be the August 23 Virginia earthquake that could be felt pretty far away. What earthquake were you thinking of from 2023?

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

What time was that? I've slept through an earthquake before.

Show

26. - Top - End - #1046

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    2011 must be the August 23 Virginia earthquake that could be felt pretty far away. What earthquake were you thinking of from 2023?
    Was mistaken about 2023, that one was in Buffalo. M3.8 so probably couldn't be felt in NYC.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Speak for yourself. I'm a FLOWER.
    Social flower, then.

It's a weird day when you find yourself Googling 'can you get pregnant while pregnant'. For the record yes, and I'm definitely not the first person who searched for that.
    You can? I didn't know that. I was under the impression that you couldn't.

Well, I'm very calm today and I wrote Chapter 5 of my D&D: The Dragoon Family story early this morning.
    Nice.

I'm back, baby! I apologize to all who missed me. Among other things that were going on, i had a trip from Birmingham to a Richmond by way of San Diego. That was a fun three days.
    Did you intend to travel like that? Cuz I thought Birmingham and Richmond were relatively close.

Heck, naming laws are loose enough here that I could name a kid 'Help I'm Stuck In A Passport Factory'. Which is probably another reason that I should never raise any.
    That's so funny. The UK is like the opposite of Iceland.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I've a trans friend who lives in Oklahoma, a center of US transphobia. They've had to go through this torturous process and then be struck down by the presiding judge for nonsense reasons. Pretty infuriating.

I prefer the local print paper over online platforms for displaying name changes. I don't need to have my deadname associated with me online.

That sucks. I hope your other job interviews go better.

I think this is really mean to Bartmanhomer. 2011 was 13 years ago. Also, maybe he didn't notice it, was on vacation, or avoided it otherwise.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ettin in the Playground

We're social multicellular eukaryotes.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    We're social multicellular eukaryotes.
    So true.

I wonder how sophisticated a single-cell organism can get. Could social unicellular organisms exist? :O
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2024-04-07 at 12:50 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I wonder how sophisticated a single-cell organism can get. Could social unicellular organisms exist? :O
    Have you just described a sponge? I'm not sure how close to "single-cell" they are...

A quick search for "social unicellular organism" shows quite a few papers (I haven't gone in to detail) on the subject, so it is quite likey that they do...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee