New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Domino Quartz's Delightfully Quaint Random Banter Thread #248

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Just goes to show how much of a defining figure Stephen King is for contemporary horror.
    Well, he is one of the most prolific and successful authors ever.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

2. - Top - End - #422
    Colossus in the Playground

As of today, I'm down to 15 units of insulin a day with no negative repercussions from the lowered dosage.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    If you want some which have remained (mostly) untouched by adaptations, pick up the Dark Tower series.
    And if that's not an important criterion, pick up The Dark Tower anyhow. It's very good and it also sits at the intersection of a good half a dozen other works by King, so it provides some insight into his other stuff as well.

4. - Top - End - #424

The Dark Tower also very directly inspired the vibe of Portal, which was wild to learn and so very, very cool to recognize.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite having read a lot by King, I've never even started on the Dark Tower. I should really get to that at some point.

On the topic of Stephen King and adaptations of his works, I find it kinda funny that he's written like 90 percent horror but the adaptations of those tend to be divisive at best (I'm sure there are exceptions, but they must be a minority) while adaptations of his non-horror stories, like Shawshank Redemption and the Green Mile are very well respected.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-02-12 at 02:13 AM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The Dark Tower also very directly inspired the vibe of Portal, which was wild to learn and so very, very cool to recognize.
    Wow. Could you provide a source on that, if you remember where you learned that bit? I'm a big fan of Portal and I enjoyed the first three Dark Tower novels a few years ago. Can't even remember why I stopped reading, maybe the library I went to didn't have the French translations after those. I should probably get back to it one day.

Speaking of Portal, the games Portal stories: Mel and Portal Reloaded are free, fully-fledged fan-made games that everyone who enjoyed the originals should try. Both have their original story and made my brain melt at times
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

7. - Top - End - #427

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    Wow. Could you provide a source on that, if you remember where you learned that bit? I'm a big fan of Portal and I enjoyed the first three Dark Tower novels a few years ago. Can't even remember why I stopped reading, maybe the library I went to didn't have the French translations after those. I should probably get back to it one day.

Speaking of Portal, the games Portal stories: Mel and Portal Reloaded are free, fully-fledged fan-made games that everyone who enjoyed the originals should try. Both have their original story and made my brain melt at times
    That would be the Just King Things episode about The Waste Lands, a film in which our heroes go to a science facility run by a synthetic voiced AI with a penchant for funny yet concerning dialogue that he refuses to elaborate on, killing humans through mechanical means, and deadly neurotoxin. They unfortunately do not cite the source as to this claim (they also mention that the landscape and creatures of The Mist inspired Xen, and that at least has stated confirmation by Valve, so it's not unreasonable to assume the funny AI Administrator in Waste Lands that very obviously is a male GLaDOS is in fact an inspiration for GLaDOS).

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everyone. Today I went to Starbucks to get my usual cup of hot coffee plus a small can of olive oil. I put the olive oil in my coffee, I drink my coffee and it tastes great. I love it.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

9. - Top - End - #429
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That would be the Just King Things episode about The Waste Lands, a film in which our heroes go to a science facility run by a synthetic voiced AI with a penchant for funny yet concerning dialogue that he refuses to elaborate on, killing humans through mechanical means, and deadly neurotoxin. They unfortunately do not cite the source as to this claim (they also mention that the landscape and creatures of The Mist inspired Xen, and that at least has stated confirmation by Valve, so it's not unreasonable to assume the funny AI Administrator in Waste Lands that very obviously is a male GLaDOS is in fact an inspiration for GLaDOS).
    Thank you! I'll listen to it when I can!
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everyone. Today I went to Starbucks to get my usual cup of hot coffee plus a small can of olive oil. I put the olive oil in my coffee, I drink my coffee and it tastes great. I love it.
    This is the first time I’ve heard of olive oil in coffee. What’s the flavor like? :O
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2024-02-12 at 02:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    This is the first time I’ve heard of olive oil in coffee. What’s the flavor like? :O
    Well in Italy, people use olive oil in coffee. Trust me I didn't know about it myself and at first, I find it weird that people use olive oil in coffee because it's very uncommon in the USA but now Starbucks is making it a thing to try it out. Also to answer your question it tastes so good.

12. - Top - End - #432

Well in Italy, people use olive oil in coffee.
    No they don't. At least, not commonly.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, explain to me how people use olive oil for pastries in Italy?

14. - Top - End - #434

Well, explain to me how people use olive oil for pastries in Italy?
    Do you think "pastries" is another word for coffee?

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, from what I've read it seems like at most a somewhat obscure tradition in parts of Italy (to the point that many Italians haven't even heard of it until Starbucks made it a thing).

That said, I am a bit curious about trying it. While it does sound weird, I do love both olive oil and coffee so maybe it'll work for me (though it seems like a bit of hassle to mix together as oil and water famously don't mix that easily).

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Do you think "pastries" is another word for coffee?
    Never mind.

Also here's the source of what I'm talking about: https://www.bhg.com/should-you-add-o...coffee-7253648

17. - Top - End - #437

Never mind.

Also here's the source of what I'm talking about: https://www.bhg.com/should-you-add-o...coffee-7253648
    Ok, that directly contradicts the idea that Italians do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by that article
    The line is inspired by the Mediterranean tradition of taking a spoonful of olive oil in the morning, at the same time that many people may also be enjoying a cup of coffee or shot of espresso. The Starbucks team had the idea to combine the two
    That is a 100% pure Starbucks invention.

Also, Italians at least have real olive oil, so that's probably better over there anyway. Most of our "olive oil" is fake crap thanks to the mafia. Also, that's one of my favorite fun facts that sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory but is actually legit.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Also, Italians at least have real olive oil, so that's probably better over there anyway. Most of our "olive oil" is fake crap thanks to the mafia. Also, that's one of my favorite fun facts that sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory but is actually legit.
    Fair enough. I should have research this a lot deeper than I anticipated.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

In very niche field of "combining two morning drinks into one", at least it sounds better than the milk and orange juice combo some sort of mad scientist (I assume) came up with here like 20 years ago. I saw a ton of ads for it... for like six months, before it vanished as mysteriously as it had appeared.

And I'm not sure whether the regular olive oil here is fake or just very watered down or something, but a friend of mine once bought some ridiculously expensive olive oil and, as much as I love the regular stuff, the difference was incredible. If all olive oil was like that, I'd consider just skipping the coffee and drink mugs of olive oil.

20. - Top - End - #440

Fair enough. I should have research this a lot deeper than I anticipated.
    That quote I pulled out was from the third paragraph. Which itself was the first part of the article that actually talked about the drink. It wasn't exactly a deep dive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    In very niche field of "combining two morning drinks into one", at least it sounds better than the milk and orange juice combo some sort of mad scientist (I assume) came up with here like 20 years ago. I saw a ton of ads for it... for like six months, before it vanished as mysteriously as it had appeared.

And I'm not sure whether the regular olive oil here is fake or just very watered down or something, but a friend of mine once bought some ridiculously expensive olive oil and, as much as I love the regular stuff, the difference was incredible. If all olive oil was like that, I'd consider just skipping the coffee and drink mugs of olive oil.
    A.) i love milk, and I love orange juice, and combining them sounds like the fevered dreams of a madman and i am glad I was ignorant of that attempt before now.
    2.) For reals, it sounds like tin-foil-hat ravings, but the mafia counterfeiting olive oil goes WAY deeper than you can imagine. It's wild.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well in all honesty I love olive oil in coffee now. Do you think I'm weird for that?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

A.) i love milk, and I love orange juice, and combining them sounds like the fevered dreams of a madman and i am glad I was ignorant of that attempt before now.
    Yeah, me too, I drink frankly insane amounts of milk and the orange juice isn't that far behind, so I should be the ideal consumer of that combo, but I must admit I never even tried it (so there is technically a chance that it would've tasted incredible, but I kinda doubt it).

Well in all honesty I love olive oil in coffee now. Do you think I'm weird for that?
    Eh, on the scale of strange stuff people like to eat and drink, it's probably somewhere in the low middle.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-02-12 at 03:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #443

...Huh.

I think that did it.

Of all things, that was what wiped out the last of my faith in humanity.

Wasn't expecting to feel relieved.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eh, on the scale of strange stuff people like to eat and drink, it's probably somewhere in the low middle.
    In other words, yes. But I'll do it on a special occasion only for that.

Also on a non-related topic, one thing you should know about me: I will never abandon the movie theater to watch a terrible movie. I'll watch it until the very end no matter how terrible the movie is.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2024-02-12 at 03:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Also on a non-related topic, one thing you should know about me: I will never abandon the movie theater to watch a terrible movie. I'll watch it until the very end no matter how terrible the movie is.
    I mostly agree on that one, I think the only movie I've walked out on was the Maze Runner and that was partially because the person I was with had to go catch a train or something (though it's not like they needed my help with that, so if it hadn't been the most boringly predictable movie in the history of movies, I would probably have stayed).

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I mostly agree on that one, I think the only movie I've walked out on was the Maze Runner and that was partially because the person I was with had to go catch a train or something (though it's not like they needed my help with that, so if it hadn't been the most boringly predictable movie in the history of movies, I would probably have stayed).
    Well, thank you. I'm glad that you agree with me for the most part. I will never walk out for a horrible movie plus I get my movie tickets for free because I'm an AMC Stubs A-Lister member. (Of course it required a monthly fee of $25).

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Of all of the weird food opinions I've seen on here, "milk and orange juice was a weird gross fad" is one of the most bizarre and ignorant yet. Y'all realize Orange Julius was a multi-million dollar corporation, right? Before they got bought out by Dairy Queen?

It's absolutely wacky that some of you are looking at olive oil and coffee and going "Yeah that's pretty normal, but you know what's weird and gross? Orange sherbet/creamsicles."

28. - Top - End - #448

Of all of the weird food opinions I've seen on here, "milk and orange juice was a weird gross fad" is one of the most bizarre and ignorant yet. Y'all realize Orange Julius was a multi-million dollar corporation, right? Before they got bought out by Dairy Queen?

It's absolutely wacky that some of you are looking at olive oil and coffee and going "Yeah that's pretty normal, but you know what's weird and gross? Orange sherbet/creamsicles."
    My. Titan. Amigo.

Do you have any idea what citric acid does to milk?

You're arguing the difference between a lemon meringue pie and shoving raw lemons and eggs in your mouth.

Go ahead, go pour some OJ into a mug of fresh, cold milk and watch what happens. I'll wait.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    My. Titan. Amigo.

Do you have any idea what citric acid does to milk?

You're arguing the difference between a lemon meringue pie and shoving raw lemons and eggs in your mouth.

Go ahead, go pour some OJ into a mug of fresh, cold milk and watch what happens. I'll wait.
    What happens is you add a dash of vanilla and drink it with a straw, because the difference between the two of us is that I've actually had the damn drink before.

I also question if YOU have any idea what citric acid does to milk? Do you know how LONG it would take for orange juice to curdle milk? It's a really, really long time. Lemon juice does it marginally quicker, which is why you can easily make a buttermilk substitute by adding lemon juice to milk and letting it sit for about 15 minutes.

Buttermilk, by the way, ALSO isn't curdled, it just sours it slightly. You could let it sit there for quite a while and it would get thicker (about the consistency of heavy cream), but not clumpy.

Just...do you think a multi-million dollar corporation arose because they were selling spoiled milk out of the back of a van and just never happened to get shut down?

Edit: Edited to be somewhat less hostile, I was pretty mad. When you post about things you don't have firsthand experience with Rater, please try to be less condescending.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-02-12 at 05:27 PM.

30. - Top - End - #450

... I'll be perfectly honest I did not actually realize creamsicles were straight up orange juice, I figured it was just a lovely flavouring they made. I also did not actually know what Orange Julius was.

On the face of it, "pour orange juice into milk" does sound incredibly weird. Olive oil in coffee ALSO sounds incredibly weird to me, as an aside, I've just decided not to pop in to be like "... hey what the ****?" until this exact moment.