New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Domino Quartz's Delightfully Quaint Random Banter Thread #248

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I'm quite convinced that if I switched from glasses to contacts I'd just end up blinding myself trying to put them in or take them out. I remember how much trouble a former girlfriend had learning how to do that and she was generally way better with her fingers than I am (this feels like a good setup for a dirty joke, but I'm too classy for that and it's totally not that I didn't think of a good one).

I do love living in an age of vision aids though, I can't imagine trying to live my entire life with the world looking as blurry as it does without my glasses.
    Yeah put me in the "I am uncomfortable touching my eyeballs" camp on this one. I much prefer having glasses to the reasonable risk of damaging myself in the application of contact lenses.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Yeah put me in the "I am uncomfortable touching my eyeballs" camp on this one. I much prefer having glasses to the reasonable risk of damaging myself in the application of contact lenses.
    Fully agree on the first part, but not because of any possible damage. I just can't touch eyes. Or get close to eyes. Anyone's eyes. Ain't gonna happen.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    That just means I would poke my eyes out in the presence of a professional. Which is good, I guess.
    It's always better to do it in the presence of professionals.

We did use to joke about how more women came onto her than onto me when we went out. Of course, there were also more men coming onto her than onto me, so I might just have to accept that, at least at the time and regardless of the dexterity of our respective fingers, she was way hotter than me.
    Fun fact: my girlfriend and I have occasional arguments over which of us is the hot one liking normal people's profiles on dating sites.

Which is silly, it's clearly her

If you use your finger it's relatively safe! Much safer than using that plunger thing at any rate.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2024-01-09 at 09:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Fully agree on the first part, but not because of any possible damage. I just can't touch eyes. Or get close to eyes. Anyone's eyes. Ain't gonna happen.
    Well, at least we're all in good company.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Absolutely. Even just thinking about getting something near my eye makes them water. No contacts for me, ever.
    (Besides, without brightly coloured glasses to distract people, I just look way too tired. )
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2024-01-09 at 09:19 AM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    If you use your finger it's relatively safe! Much safer than using that plunger thing at any rate.
    During Qwerty's visit she said "bandages were made for people like you" so I'm gonna pass on the "relatively" there.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

During Qwerty's visit she said "bandages were made for people like you" so I'm gonna pass on the "relatively" there.
    Yeah, I might be in the same category. When I was shaving my beard manually instead of with a machine, I not only managed to occasionally cut my cheeks – which is pretty common – but also other parts of my face, including my nose at least once.

I'm also very happy to not live in a time when you had to use one of those old school razors that's basically just a big knife. I don't think that would be a long life for me (the option of letting someone else hold a big knife to my throat seems only marginally better ).
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-01-09 at 09:49 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Absolutely. Even just thinking about getting something near my eye makes them water. No contacts for me, ever.
    (Besides, without brightly coloured glasses to distract people, I just look way too tired. )
    Don't worry, after touching your eyes a couple of times that'll clear right up!

As somebody with the literal motor skills of a preteen, nah you'll probably be fine.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

A combination of a better chair, better seating posture, better sleeping posture and lower back exercises has alleviated my lower back pain problem that I complained about a while back. Still feels a little more sensitive at times than I'd like it to be, but this is already a considerable improvement.

I kind of wish I could reinforce my spine too.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    A combination of a better chair, better seating posture, better sleeping posture and lower back exercises has alleviated my lower back pain problem that I complained about a while back. Still feels a little more sensitive at times than I'd like it to be, but this is already a considerable improvement.

I kind of wish I could reinforce my spine too.
    You totally can, but thats generally the thing you want to be moving a bunch.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #221

You totally can, but thats generally the thing you want to be moving a bunch.
    Eh, debatable. I'd prefer it to stay in the same city as me, at the very least.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

While I wholly get not wanting to directly touch an eyeball, I think the continual weight of glasses on my ears and nose would eventually bother me more. I've been wearing this bracelet that basically says "hey emergency medical people, I'm diabetic, don't hook me up to an IV with glucose" for decades and the tactile sensation still bugs me on rare occasions.

Though at the same time I've got to keep an eye (yes, the one) on the big picture: My vision conditions can't be treated with lenses, contact or otherwise. If somehow glasses that corrected diabetic retinopathy were invented, sign me up.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    While I wholly get not wanting to directly touch an eyeball, I think the continual weight of glasses on my ears and nose would eventually bother me more.
    That's because you are considering the optical issues of commoners. It would not be out of hand for me to effectively wear a monacle.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

While I wholly get not wanting to directly touch an eyeball, I think the continual weight of glasses on my ears and nose would eventually bother me more. I've been wearing this bracelet that basically says "hey emergency medical people, I'm diabetic, don't hook me up to an IV with glucose" for decades and the tactile sensation still bugs me on rare occasions.
    I guess it might be individual but at least for me I can't remember the weight of the glasses ever bothering me. Sort of seeing them in the corners of my eyes did initially annoy me, I think, but not for long.

That said, after wearing glasses for like 25 years I'm still both a little annoyed when they're dirty and a little too lazy to regularly clean them properly (in my defense, it seems to take roughly five minutes until they're at least a little dirty again).

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

That's because you are considering the optical issues of commoners. It would not be out of hand for me to effectively wear a monacle.
    Funnily enough, the thing they use to brace my eye open for injections is very similar to a monocle in many regards; I think I'll pass

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Fun fact: you can feel a contact lens while it's in. Imagine someone lightly pressing on your cornea for twelve hours It's that, and not the eye touching, that strikes me as the actual reason some wouldn't like them after about two weeks of use.

Still not as bad as the CXL was.

I also occasionally feel the lack of glasses. Humans clearly are mid beta at best, there's no way we're ready for release.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2024-01-09 at 01:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    and her use of the name "Marilyn" as an alias is apprently a reference to a fan theory that she was the woman than Grunkle Stan married in vegas so red into that what you will.
    Okay, so apparently on the Gravity Falls complete series box set, there's a commentary track by Alex Hirsch in character as Stan and he describes his ex-wife Marliyn as being a pale woman with strangely sharp teeth wearing an "over thirty & very flirty" t-shirt, that she married him as part of a scheme to steal his money and car, that he knows that Marilyn was a fake name, and that she vanished by hopping out of a door into a canyon.

...So... Yeah, I don't think Eda using Marilyn as an alias in the human world is a reference, I think she's just straight-up Stan's Vegas wife.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #228

Badabump bump bump, another one bites the dust!

Finished yet another agency's fitness. For the ones that weren't "max X in the full time limit", i got the everything done in half the time or less. All that training has defo worked out for me. Now to just actually lose some weight so I can have an easier time of it.
    eye.... injections
    NOPE nopenopenopenopenopenopenope.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-01-09 at 03:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Fun fact: you can feel a contact lens while it's in. Imagine someone lightly pressing on your cornea for twelve hours It's that, and not the eye touching, that strikes me as the actual reason some wouldn't like them after about two weeks of use.

Still not as bad as the CXL was.
    I was wondering about that. I guess it would depend on the specific sensitivity to the indirect sensation, which...I don't think I want to test.

eye.... injections
    NOPE nopenopenopenopenopenopenope.
    Ah, I see you understand why I'd still go for glasses-or-contacts being an option

20. - Top - End - #230

Ah, I see you understand why I'd still go for glasses-or-contacts being an option
    You did make some convincing arguments, yes.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah. Or, more simply, they don't give Ph.D's for just blind guessing.
    Not since the 1800's at any rate
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

I've found that it really depends on the glasses. Most of mine over the years have been basically "I forget I'm wearing glasses" light. They didn't have such light ones in stock for these ones, so I definitely have been noticing them a lot more, though.

(The bracelet thing is also reminding me that I always just feel wrong if I go out without a watch.)
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

23. - Top - End - #233

A thing I saw before that just returned to my head because my brain goes down weird rabbit holes

Dwarves, as a race of beings, in fiction are often depicted as being heartier than humans and are sometimes depicted as being resistant to diseases or toxins.

Given the stereotypical depiction of Dwarves as people who like their ale, this has led to the common gag of dwarven-made alcohol being noticeably stronger than human-made variants, such as ale being comparable to liquor in potency.

...Here's the thing: a lot of things that humans eat are toxic but either we can digest the toxic parts of it when other animals can't(chocolate), or we have a high tolerance for the toxins(capsaicin) or we've found ways to make the food safe for u either because it's a necessity or because it just tastes too damn(fugu, anyone?)

Even in cases where it's still harmful to us, we'll eat it anyway because a lot of us like it or feel that it proves something about us—the 'hotter' varieties of capsaicin-bearing fruits, for example. Or Fugu, where in order to prepare it right you actually have to leave in a little bit of the deadly neurotoxin.

If the approch o fantasy races is "humans but X" then dwarves as "humans but small and tough" would in addition to more potent alcohol likely have food that is heaily spiced and full of toxins in amounts that are mostly harmless to dwarves but would be sickening or potentially dangeorus to other races, plus a few things that are flat out only digestible to dwarves.

Go into a dwarven restaurant and it's like if an authentic Mexican restaurant and an authentic Indian restaurant had a baby who inherited all of the spicy genes and who grew up into a restaurant whose head chef is Grandmama from The Addams Family.

When I saw this pointed out, however, it led to a joke that dwarven food had a reputation for being bland because dwarves know that most other races can't handle the sort of food they eat and overcompensate when cooking for non-Dwarves.

I think the exact line was "can we at least add salt?" "No, that's a rock, there's no way humans eat rocks."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

One of the book excerpts in Baldur's Gate 3 is a dwarven cookbook adapted for humans, and the dish in question comes with the line "Do NOT add the Drider venom! Replace with your bittering agent of choice."
    Last edited by Keltest; 2024-01-09 at 11:33 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Oh, cool! What kind of stories are you writing?
    I'm writing Degrassi stories at the moment.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

26. - Top - End - #236

One of the book excerpts in Baldur's Gate 3 is a dwarven cookbook adapted for humans, and the dish in question comes with the line "Do NOT add the Drider venom! Replace with your bittering agent of choice."
    My first thought after reading Raters bit was the BG3 journal from the duergar who ate Drow poison and thought it was delicious.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

I've found that it really depends on the glasses. Most of mine over the years have been basically "I forget I'm wearing glasses" light. They didn't have such light ones in stock for these ones, so I definitely have been noticing them a lot more, though.
    I'll keep that in mind....The entire rest of my immediate family wears glasses or contact lenses, and while it'd be nice to think my eye problems exempt me from the pattern I doubt it actually works that way.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, but it's just unsettling when you're unused to how small real world pixels are.

If your optometrist is anything like mine you won't be allowed to take your contacts home until you can put a nonprescription lens in and take it out. Multiple times in one sitting, they're worried about it.

But poking yourself in the eye while putting contacts in is just something that happens sometimes. Remember, clean hands!

And that's why all the ladies love her?

IME you get used to it if you have to
    There's a learning curve. When I was first fitted for them, I was told to avoid wearing them with eye liner.

Now I can put a pair in with full makeup without smudging it.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everyone. I have wonderful & exciting news to tell you. Yesterday I finally got accepted at ACCESS-VR. So my choices are that I either work at an office job or Starbucks. I'm working at Starbucks.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. Or, more simply, they don't give Ph.D's for just blind guessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Not since the 1800's at any rate
    Ludwig Wittgenstein got his doctorate in 1929. An uncharitable reading of his defense is that he basically bullied his way into a PHD with a booklet of aphorisms. Philosophical guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'm writing Degrassi stories at the moment.
    Oh, cool.

That's really funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everyone. I have wonderful & exciting news to tell you. Yesterday I finally got accepted at ACCESS-VR. So my choices are that I either work at an office job or Starbucks. I'm working at Starbucks.
    Hey, congrats! Makes sense that you'd choose Starbucks, since you're already popular there. Are you gonna be making coffee or something else?