New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Domino Quartz's Delightfully Quaint Random Banter Thread #248

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    That's really funny.
    It is! It was also really adorable and sweet and made me happy. It was said with a lot of affection.

2. - Top - End - #242

My brain is still stuck on The Owl House.

I'm going through it again.

...The thing that's bugging me the most? Trying to figure out what the hell appleblood is.

It's called blood and you can apparently get it at the "apple butcher"... But we've seen apples on the Boiling Isles and they seem to not be meaningfully different from human world apples. Additionally, it remains blood red and a liquid state when chilled, and the viscosity seems to be comparable to milk based on Eda getting a "blood mustache" in the second episode. It normally comes in bottles but when Eda is drinking some in a tavern in one episode she gets it in a juice box, it's apparently expensive because Eda goes without it early in season 2 to make sure Luz has food that she can digest when money becomes a problem, they all but outright state that it's some kind of liquor or other addictive/intoxicating substance... but you can apparently serve it to minors. It has a strong aroma comparable to a farm, and the quality and flavor is directly tied to how much it's been aged. Camila thinks she might be able to fake it using food coloring.

This is what my brain does when I should be doing a productivity
    Spoiler: On the Weird Brain Note
    Show
    Also, Hunter clearly has autism. This combined with his possible albinism and the fact that he's explicitly the closest Belos ever got to exactly recreating Caleb probably explains why Caleb was so willing to run off to the demon realm with his hot witch GF.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2024-01-11 at 12:00 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Arrived at hotel without issues. Five minutes away from the office they're going to do the poly at tomorrow morning. I may even get to sleep in a tiny bit since the commute is basically nonexistent!
    Ludwig Wittgenstein got his doctorate in 1929. An uncharitable reading of his defense is that he basically bullied his way into a PHD with a booklet of aphorisms. Philosophical guessing.
    First rule of D&D, specific beats general. The odd one slipping through The cracks doesn't negate the general rule.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey, congrats! Makes sense that you'd choose Starbucks, since you're already popular there. Are you gonna be making coffee or something else?
    I'll be making coffee over there. It is a new career change for me.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

...The thing that's bugging me the most? Trying to figure out what the hell appleblood is.

It's called blood and you can apparently get it at the "apple butcher"... But we've seen apples on the Boiling Isles and they seem to not be meaningfully different from human world apples. Additionally, it remains blood red and a liquid state when chilled, and the viscosity seems to be comparable to milk based on Eda getting a "blood mustache" in the second episode. It normally comes in bottles but when Eda is drinking some in a tavern in one episode she gets it in a juice box, it's apparently expensive because Eda goes without it early in season 2 to make sure Luz has food that she can digest when money becomes a problem, they all but outright state that it's some kind of liquor or other addictive/intoxicating substance... but you can apparently serve it to minors. It has a strong aroma comparable to a farm, and the quality and flavor is directly tied to how much it's been aged. Camila thinks she might be able to fake it using food coloring.

Show
    Also, Hunter clearly has autism. This combined with his possible albinism and the fact that he's explicitly the closest Belos ever got to exactly recreating Caleb probably explains why Caleb was so willing to run off to the demon realm with his hot witch GF.
    Given the apple analogy, maybe there's the same overlap in language you get with apple juice/apple cider? It can be chilled and served fresh, or fermented and served alcoholic.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

6. - Top - End - #246

Show
    Yeah like Brioche said this is definitely some kind of analog to Apple Cider... and while the apples look innocuous compared to real world apples, the fact that they have to go to a butcher to get it definitely implies some degree of Alive is present in these things. Appleblood is clearly just the apples... blood, after it's been processed and fermented for drinking.

------

So last night I had probably the strangest dream I've ever had. Read on;

Spoiler: Zodi's Mansion Fun
    Show
    So, to start things off: for the entirety of this dream, the mansion in which I am is comprised of various rooms and places from my memory. There is a wine cellar and storage room that resemble my mom's basement, the living room was my mom's, the entrance way was my mom's but instead of being an attached kitchen it was just a foyer. My bed room felt like the one at Qwerty's apartment, the stairs leading up to the top floor were the ones from Qwerty's parents house, the halls were from the insides of buildings I've had dreams about breaking into, the outside of the mansion was a school I used to work at with a garden that was a mix of my Mom's and Qwerty's parents.

The dream itself was that out of nowhere a friend of the family who was inexplicably a rich family asked me to watch their house in Edmonton for a few weeks and they'd pay me 2000 dollars for it. I of course accept and go there, and they show me around the house- the role of the rich family was played by Qwerty's family for some reason except instead of their tiny dog they had a massive husky.

They ensure I know where everything is, that I meet the groundskeeper, have learned all the important things I need to do and take care of like the dog- though there is some disconnect in the way that rich people don't fully understand poorer people when I asked about the clarifications of some things.

That night, I hear a noise and me and the dog go investigating, using my phone as a flashlight, closing and locking doors that were left open to narrow down where the noise is coming from. It turns out the noise is coming from my sister and her boyfriend, who had showed up somehow and brought lots of snacks and stuff.

the noise they made had sounded like the dog was in distress so I warned them off about leaving their stuff around for the dog to get hurt and my sister non-apologized and whined about being sick and eventually it turned out that my sister had gotten into the stuff they warned me to keep out of reach of the dog or he'd eat it and get sick, so she had gotten sick from doing that.

Then her boyfriend takes all their stuff and leaves and while it's just me, my sister, and the dog she reveals she's pregnant and was doing this stuff on purpose because she doesn't know how to handle it and is super irresponsible and I tell her to just get an abortion if she feels this way and she's like "you know maybe that makes sense".

We cut to, some point, dream-like states are weird, where I go to answer the doorbell; it's the Groundskeeper, with his tiny little ****zu dog, who is here with his assistant to prepare all the garden's works in a massive industrial area resembling the backrooms of stores I've worked in that is just, connected to the house by obscure means. And I have to help.

I witness them grind and chop up vegetables and blood oranges and stuff to create the seed feed, and apparently I have to shift through it with my hands, digging through these big blue bins that resemble the bins my mom would have me make stuffing in when she had the bar for catering work.

but the assistant whispered to me that it's okay I could leave.

On my way out I ran into my dad who made fun of me for not wanting to learn stuff and I said "naw it's fine I want to learn but I'm busy, but you can go" and then he goes to do it himself, leaving the party(??) that I was holding, that was just me and my family, which explains why my sister was there with snacks I guess.

oh right at one point between sister and groundskeeper section I had a scene where the dog got really affectionate and huggy and cuddly and I had to like

reprimand the dog for getting close because come on you're huge if you get to close I'll get crushed.

anyway after I return to the party(??) that was rolling off to an end, I find Qwerty there- not a surprise, you're part of my family, and we hug and kiss and then you whisper to me (which is represented in the dream like a text message on Discord) "do you want to anywhere" which my dream brain interpreted as go to bed and cuddle.

We rush off (me briefly carrying Qwerty on my shoulder) and at some point during this conversation we are having Qwerty mentions it is very late and I check my phone to be like no it's not THAT late but I'd forgotten to switch it to Edmonton time zone (which is exactly the same as my normal time zone, cool idea dream) and I notice it is 13:00, which is 1 o clock.

So I go to the bathroom which I always do before bed, and then I wake up.

end of dream.

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Yeah like Brioche said this is definitely some kind of analog to Apple Cider... and while the apples look innocuous compared to real world apples, the fact that they have to go to a butcher to get it definitely implies some degree of Alive is present in these things. Appleblood is clearly just the apples... blood, after it's been processed and fermented for drinking.
    Part of me is also hung up on the fairy pie scene.

This has all of the hallmarks of a "girl is bad at cooking" joke... But, uh. given what demons eat it's entirely possible that no, its supposed to be like that. I can't tell if this is an example of the series tendency to subvert or double subvert tropes or not.
    So last night I had probably the strangest dream I've ever had. Read on
    Why do you get to have the fun dreams?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

You probably mean, "Why don't I ..."

Dreams are mostly weird, not necessarily in a fun way, but weird is good right?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #249

Part of me is also hung up on the fairy pie scene.

This has all of the hallmarks of a "girl is bad at cooking" joke... But, uh. given what demons eat it's entirely possible that no, its supposed to be like that. I can't tell if this is an example of the series tendency to subvert or double subvert tropes or not.

We see fairy pie in other scenes and it looks exactly like that, so yeah no that's just normal.

I have no idea! Probably because my brain is running on full throttle due to the visit but has no outlet since she's gone home.

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    You probably mean, "Why don't I ..."

Dreams are mostly weird, not necessarily in a fun way, but weird is good right?
    ... so, given that that change does not in any sense change the statement being made, why the correction?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Dreams are fun.
    One minute I'm dreaming of Tintin realising that he's going to need to break out a misnamed professor out of the resting house/luxury jail, and the next a dozen cyberpunk corp security staff in power armor crack down on the heist.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    One minute I'm dreaming of Tintin realising that he's going to need to break out a misnamed professor out of the resting house/luxury jail, and the next a dozen cyberpunk corp security staff in power armor crack down on the heist.
    Oooh, now I really want to see the cyberpunk reimagining of Tintin. I'm not sure whether it'd be awesome or awful, but either way it'd be an interesting read.

EDIT: Since it wouldn't be the first time I wished for something that already existed, I decided to google it and it turns out someone made a pretty good cover, at least.

Spoiler: Huh, that image turned out to be kinda big.
    Show
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-01-12 at 02:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

We see fairy pie in other scenes and it looks exactly like that, so yeah no that's just normal.
    Huh.

I never noticed the other fairy pies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I noticed that Odlaia is very clearly using Illusion Magic during the "we can get you a better girlfriend" scene which, given that she's not in the Emporer's cover, strongly suggests that she never got a coven sigil which might contribute to her delusion that she'll be made royalty after the day of unity despite knowing full well about the genocidal draining sell.

But I didn't notice the other fairy pies.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

It is! It was also really adorable and sweet and made me happy. It was said with a lot of affection.
    That makes me happy, too. I'm glad you two have each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Arrived at hotel without issues. Five minutes away from the office they're going to do the poly at tomorrow morning. I may even get to sleep in a tiny bit since the commute is basically nonexistent!
    Wait, they wanna make you take another polygraph test? How many have you taken already? :O

First rule of D&D, specific beats general. The odd one slipping through The cracks doesn't negate the general rule.
    Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'll be making coffee over there. It is a new career change for me.
    Oh, neat. I had friends who worked as baristas. It seems like a hard job but also a cool one.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, they wanna make you take another polygraph test? How many have you taken already? :O
    I believe that's question #38.

Kind of been out on it for the past couple of days, not going to catch up on RB but I'm back and feeling somewhat less dysphoric!
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #255

Wait, they wanna make you take another polygraph test?
    Yep. And I'll have another whenever i feel up to scheduling for another agency.
    How many have you taken already? :O
    Yes..
    Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the analogy.
    It's another way to say the exception doesn't negate the rule. All D&D rulesets contain w blurb on "specific beats general", and explains that if there is a sweeping general rule that says one thing and a targeted, specific rule that says the other, the specific rule beats the general rule. For example, a rule could be "a DC 10 lock needs a total roll of 10 or greater to pick". That's a general rule. Going to be in place pretty universally. However, there could be a race that has the specific racial feature "when picking locks, your total roll needs to only beat half the DC". The specific rule beats the general rule, and that race doesn't need to roll a 10 to lick the lock. But the general rule is still in place - for everyone the specific rule doesn't apply to, they still need to roll a 10.

Just because you can point out a specific example of someone getting a doctorate despite not meeting the requirements for everyone else doesnt mean those requirements dont exist. It just means your specific example got through somehow. This isn't a case of one single example against negates the whole thing, in other words.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

I don't remember my dreams much. probably for the best. they tend to be nonsense.

I really got nothing to add to the Owl House conversation that related, but I do know that Luz/Amity fic stuff is popular so if you look for them being happy together your probably going to find a lot of that.

between the Abyssal manuscript and Across the Eight Directions coming out, its been a good time being an exalted 3e fan. normally I'd make threads in other games for me reading them and such but people didn't seem real interested, so I've stopped.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #257

I really got nothing to add to the Owl House conversation that related, but I do know that Luz/Amity fic stuff is popular so if you look for them being happy together your probably going to find a lot of that.
    I am aware. Dear god am I aware.

On that note, I spent a significant portion of my afternoon and evening yesterday reading a fanfic about Luz and co committing assorted crimes in the human world during the time between seasons 2 and 3. It started with forging documents and falsifying records to make things easier on what were essentially undocumented immigrants and ended with Camila needing a stiff drink to cope with the fact that her fourteen-year-old daughter was a mob boss... and then finding out that said stiff drink came from said daughter's bootlegging operation.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #258

Somehow waylaid myself into reading a thread from a couple years back, saw a post, and was suddenly hit with missing Factotum. He was a good dragon.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh, neat. I had friends who worked as baristas. It seems like a hard job but also a cool one.
    No job is easy.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

one of the most baffling youtube thumbnails and titles I've seen is "why you shouldn't watch X" and I'm like "thats the last thing I need dude, I need reccs for why I should watch something, there is more stuff than I'll ever see in my life" and just like Not Interested the video because if I watch it, youtube will mistake it for interest in that show and thus fill my reccs with more videos about about the show its de-recommending me. so if your goal was to make me not watch the show, your shooting yourself in the foot by making a video about it at all, but if your goal is to get views by saying something sucks your also shooting yourself in the foot by making sure I don't watch your video given how youtube's algorithm works, your essentially warning me to not watch your own video because you have will parts of the show your warning against you'll need to show to explain why it shouldn't be watched and be similar to videos that will be recommending or discussing the show and thus need to watch the show to understand them. the whole point is self-defeating.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

one of the most baffling youtube thumbnails and titles I've seen is "why you shouldn't watch X" and I'm like "thats the last thing I need dude, I need reccs for why I should watch something, there is more stuff than I'll ever see in my life" and just like Not Interested the video because if I watch it, youtube will mistake it for interest in that show and thus fill my reccs with more videos about about the show its de-recommending me. so if your goal was to make me not watch the show, your shooting yourself in the foot by making a video about it at all, but if your goal is to get views by saying something sucks your also shooting yourself in the foot by making sure I don't watch your video given how youtube's algorithm works, your essentially warning me to not watch your own video because you have will parts of the show your warning against you'll need to show to explain why it shouldn't be watched and be similar to videos that will be recommending or discussing the show and thus need to watch the show to understand them. the whole point is self-defeating.
    YouTube sucks anyway. It is all about toxicity, drama, bigotry, and corruption at the end of the day. There are better platforms out there such as TikTok for example.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2024-01-14 at 08:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I believe that's question #38.
    That's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    of been out on it for the past couple of days, not going to catch up on RB but I'm back and feeling somewhat less dysphoric!
    Glad to learn you're feeling less dysphoric.

Yep. And I'll have another whenever i feel up to scheduling for another agency.

Yes..
    That's frustrating. You seem amused by it all, though, so that's good.

It's another way to say the exception doesn't negate the rule. All D&D rulesets contain w blurb on "specific beats general", and explains that if there is a sweeping general rule that says one thing and a targeted, specific rule that says the other, the specific rule beats the general rule. For example, a rule could be "a DC 10 lock needs a total roll of 10 or greater to pick". That's a general rule. Going to be in place pretty universally. However, there could be a race that has the specific racial feature "when picking locks, your total roll needs to only beat half the DC". The specific rule beats the general rule, and that race doesn't need to roll a 10 to lick the lock. But the general rule is still in place - for everyone the specific rule doesn't apply to, they still need to roll a 10.

Just because you can point out a specific example of someone getting a doctorate despite not meeting the requirements for everyone else doesnt mean those requirements dont exist. It just means your specific example got through somehow. This isn't a case of one single example against negates the whole thing, in other words.
    Oh, okay. That makes sense, though I'm not sure how to connect it with the joke the people can't make stuff up for their doctorates since the eighteen hundreds.

No job is easy.
    Yes, that's true.

23. - Top - End - #263

That's frustrating. You seem amused by it all, though, so that's good.:
    If i have to play the game by their rules, i can at least choose to make it fun.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

No job is easy.
    I dunno, I've had some pretty easy jobs in my time. The only hard part was having to look like you were adding value to something.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I dunno, I've had some pretty easy jobs in my time. The only hard part was having to look like you were adding value to something.
    True. You're not wrong.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Anyway, yesterday I didn't drink caffeine and I relaxed at home by focusing on writing my Degrassi stories.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Pixie in the Playground

between the Abyssal manuscript and Across the Eight Directions coming out, its been a good time being an exalted 3e fan. normally I'd make threads in other games for me reading them and such but people didn't seem real interested, so I've stopped.
    It's always cool to see someone's thoughts on their readthrough of Exalted books.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

No job is easy.
    Easy job bs are boring.

Fun jobs are easy.

Sadly fun jobs are what those in charge wan to automate.

one of the most baffling youtube thumbnails and titles I've seen is "why you shouldn't watch X" and I'm like "thats the last thing I need dude, I need reccs for why I should watch something,
    You see good iterations of the 'X is Garbage and Here's Why'd formula will point you towards better media that deals with the same themes. Sadly a lot of people can forget that to explain why something is done poorly you need to show it done well.

That's funny.
    I'm glad someone appreciates the joke

Glad to learn you're feeling less dysphoric.
    It comes and goes, generally with the worry I'm a woman with internalized transphobia.

...except when it pertains to hair. Masculine hair sucks, I want only femme hair!
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2024-01-15 at 11:58 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Minton View Post
    It's always cool to see someone's thoughts on their readthrough of Exalted books.
    oh. I guess I could try again, then.

@ Anonymouswizard:
    sounds good, I'll keep an eye out for those in the future.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Further progress on latex prosthetics! I put together a purple tiefling look for my stream today (well, yesterday since it's past midnight here RN):

Spoiler: Behold, a tief!
    Show
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)