New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: New Star Wars Movie

Just a quick point: But we do see at least once instance of technological progress between the prequels and the original trilogy. Obi-Wan's starfighter in Ep.ii needs to be docked with an external hyperdrive ring in order to execute FTL operations. Only a very few ships that size, such as Grievous' personal ship, have hyperdrives built in. Yet by the time of the OT we have the X-wing and Y-wing with that capability.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Just a quick point: But we do see at least once instance of technological progress between the prequels and the original trilogy. Obi-Wan's starfighter in Ep.ii needs to be docked with an external hyperdrive ring in order to execute FTL operations. Only a very few ships that size, such as Grievous' personal ship, have hyperdrives built in. Yet by the time of the OT we have the X-wing and Y-wing with that capability.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    That's more to do with ship models than technological limitations, the Arc-170 starfighters the clones use have built in hyperdrives. Light fighters, interceptors and the like don't have integrated hyperdrives because they're meant to protect ships, starbases and planets, heavier fighters and bombers do so they can go on raids into other systems. The Jedi just happen to prefer light fighters and interceptors for whatever reason, I guess their reflexes make the heavier armour and armaments less important than mobility.

I don't recall if Arc-170s were shown to have hyperdrives in the movies or not, I don't think they were because I don't think they were in any establishing shots of things coming into or out of hyperspace, but it was part of their extended universe details as far back as the settings guides released around the movies IIRC. Of course they're just X-wings but for the prequels in concept.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Neither of these establish any sort of EVA capabilities. And the fact that something doesn't exist yet does not mean the information we have is insufficient.
    New Hope does not give enough information to assess the potential for the Falcon's crew in general to perform an EVA was my point. The concept never really comes up.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Actually, for checking, I figured it would be checking for signals, not looking for a device. A homing beacon would need to transmit it's coordinates. There's a few ways you could set it up to be more or less invisible in flight (i.e. "Will transmit once the ship has landed"), but if it's a more active beacon, checking your outgoing signals would be an easy one to do from the cockpit.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    New Hope does not give enough information to assess the potential for the Falcon's crew in general to perform an EVA was my point. The concept never really comes up.
    So what you're saying is that Holdo could have jettisoned the warp core and reversed the polarity of the tractor beam to repulse it into the first order fleet and had it detonate without sacrificing the ship and just didn't do it because she was a glory hound?

Much more seriously, that is a fair point (no one would object to an EVA repair scene in the movie had it needed one, because it is accepted that astronauts can wear suits and go outside). However, staying within the OT we also see R2 unable to maintain "footing" and sliding across the Falcon deck and into a maintenance bay...so I'm still going with "He forgot he had magnetic shoes and rocket jets between Eps I-III and IV-VI".

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Actually, for checking, I figured it would be checking for signals, not looking for a device. A homing beacon would need to transmit it's coordinates. There's a few ways you could set it up to be more or less invisible in flight (i.e. "Will transmit once the ship has landed"), but if it's a more active beacon, checking your outgoing signals would be an easy one to do from the cockpit.
    I'm no EW expert, but how about a microburst timed to match some other signal being sent by the Falcon? If you use frequency hopping technology, the Falcon will have a hard time landing on the exact right frequency and time to detect something odd happening.

If it were me, the "homing beacon" would not be hardware at all; it would be a subroutine in the Falcon's own computer which would send out the signal at irregular intervals using hopping frequencies, with the Imps having the schedule so they need to listen in on. That way you don't have to stick a bulky hyperwave transmitter in the ship -- you can use the ship's own communications array to do the job, then erase the record of the signal after it is sent. Then erase itself either on a schedule or on command.

I'd want to send the signal at regular intervals just in case the rebels found the subroutine and deleted it. In which case, we'd at least have datum points to follow even if we didn't get all the way to the base. Every additional datum point is one narrower search path, so that we can scout and find it even if the rebels won't let us trace it directly to the base.

I know that in-story the beacon traveled all the way to the base, but the Imperials wouldn't assume the Rebels were stupid; they'd need to take precautions in the event of the beacon being discovered.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    The concept never comes up well.
    ESB totally messes up EVA's for the whole sires IMO.
    It implies that there is enough atmospheric pressure in an asteroid cave to walk around only with a breather mask and that somehow that atmosphere doesn't just escape out the worms mouth somehow (as we never see a sphincter or similar to hold it in). And it isn't a vacuum as there has to be atmosphere to hold the mist we see and for the mynok wings to push against. Eye protection?
    As silly as anyone may consider the Ewoks I don't think they will ever hold a candle to the damn worm
    If they had EVA capabilities that would be a good time to use them. Now EVA suits make for boring (or at least difficult) visuals and movies are a highly visual medium...which is the probably the bigger reason why we don't see much of them in the GFFA.

That the scene also has full gravity (shown in how they are walking and the falling mynok) also annoys me.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2024-01-29 at 01:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    If they had EVA capabilities that would be a good time to use them. Now EVA suits make for boring (or at least difficult) visuals and movies are a highly visual medium...which is the probably the bigger reason why we don't see much of them in the GFFA.
    Eh, I think Star Wars is a franchise where you could get away with not going with super realistic spacesuits, and the visuals of zero G are cool enough that it makes up for any difficulty with the suits.

The problem of course, is that zero G is a pain in the ass to shoot in live action. Not for nothing that the first actual spacewalks in Star Wars happened with completely animated characters.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    The concept never comes up well.
    ESB totally messes up EVA's for the whole sires IMO.
    It implies that there is enough atmospheric pressure in an asteroid cave to walk around only with a breather mask and that somehow that atmosphere doesn't just escape out the worms mouth somehow (as we never see a sphincter or similar to hold it in). And it isn't a vacuum as there has to be atmosphere to hold the mist we see and for the mynok wings to push against. Eye protection?
    As silly as anyone may consider the Ewoks I don't think they will ever hold a candle to the damn worm

That the scene also has full gravity (shown in how they are walking and the falling mynok) also annoys me.
    How about a personal forcefield ? We already know there are deflectors which can stop blasters, and in KOTOR and Republic Commando personal energy shields are a thing. Why not make one that can maintain a stable bubble of livable pressure and atmosphere? It'd be easy to show on screen; just show a 1 second color change when the characters turn them on, then film them as normal. Wire work for the weightless scenes.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

How about a personal forcefield ? We already know there are deflectors which can stop blasters, and in KOTOR and Republic Commando personal energy shields are a thing. Why not make one that can maintain a stable bubble of livable pressure and atmosphere? It'd be easy to show on screen; just show a 1 second color change when the characters turn them on, then film them as normal. Wire work for the weightless scenes.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Could it be done? Yes.
    Was it done? Nope.

The whole force fields that allow access to space but keep the atmosphere in is already set up in hanger bays etc. even going back to the OT and doing something similar would be possible but would need the effort. And I'm not sure how well that would have worked in the 70's filming tech TBH.
    But my main point is that it was kinda done in a way that undermined future appearances and raised more issues all on its own. Fixable issues perhaps but still issues.

EDIT: And thinking on it I am not sure how well it would have worked as visual language...it terms of making space, well space and dangerous etc. Plus I'm not sure giving the horseback ride up a star destroyer some magic force fields to go up somewhat in elevation (I mean seriously people have a range of comfortable breathing that would mean a person at each of the ship would be messed up if the ship was vertical) would make it work better.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2024-01-29 at 05:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Can't use them on Tatooine because they draw sandworms from miles around, and lasgun interaction with them causes, well, spectacular results ... :D

12. - Top - End - #372

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Can't use them on Tatooine because they draw sandworms from miles around, and lasgun interaction with them causes, well, spectacular results ... :D
    The force must flow...
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    The force must flow...
    Close. "Flow, the Force must."

14. - Top - End - #374

You've still missed, Mordar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc Picard
    "Flow, the Force must."
    Last edited by Whoracle; 2024-02-02 at 05:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Man, don't even get me started on how often Yoda spoke without anastrophe.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Man, don't even get me started on how often Yoda spoke without anastrophe.
    Twice. It was twice.

- M

17. - Top - End - #377
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Twice. It was twice.

- M
    No. Twice it was.

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Early Mandalorian was fine. S3 was kind of a mess, and most of their shows of late have also been bad.

Coming from the director of Ms. Marvel is...deeply uninspiring. Documentary work also doesn't exactly tell me much about her ability to portray the Star Wars universe. Ideally, you'd have a history of success at something sort of similar, and neither of those examples qualify.

Story wise, they're apparently tied to all the baggage of the last three movies, which saw a pretty big fall off in interest movie to movie, and which remain controversial. That seems like quite a lot to overcome.

This really seems like they tried to take the worst possible choices and mash them together into an utterly doomed combination. If we are fortunate, it might fall into the territory of films so terrible they become amusing again. If not, it'll be merely more forgettable drek. At this point, I am largely only interested from the standpoint of someone sort of amused at Disney's missteps. I don't really care enough to watch the film, hatewatch or not...and I even watched Solo, a remarkably forgettable bit that almost nobody else watched.

And that's if the film even comes out. The last how many Star Wars films have been canceled?
    I LIKED the first maybe 3/4 of the first Captain Marvel film and the first maybe 1/2 of the last one. And the Ms Marvel tv show was ok for me and pretty decent in my 12 year old's opinion.