New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Server Issues the Past 48 Hours

Just notifying the mod team (in case they're not already aware) that there seem to be some significant server issues the past 48 hours, with the forum being intermittently unresponsive, slow to load, or "busy" and not loading.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Server Issues the Past 48 Hours

I've received one Cloudflare error (2 days ago), several very slow connections, and several "The forum is too busy. Try again later" messages from giantitp.com.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I've received one Cloudflare error (2 days ago), several very slow connections, and several "The forum is too busy. Try again later" messages from giantitp.com.
    Can confirm, just had another "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later." message for a couple of minutes there.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Just got this msg...

SSL handshake failed Error code 525
    ...and a Gateway Time-Out Error code 504 trying to post this here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I’ve had those same issues over the same timeframe, and now it’s been grindingly slow from 7:00 pm EST onward.

It's getting worse from minute to minute, and just posting this has been almost impossible.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Getting a lot of Cloudflare issues myself. Been pretty consistent from about 6pm GMT-7 to 1am GMT-7.
    Last edited by Razade; 2024-01-07 at 02:46 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I’ve had those same issues over the same timeframe, and now it’s been grindingly slow from 7:00 pm EST onward.

It's getting worse from minute to minute, and just posting this has been almost impossible.
    Yes, working fine now but I've been unable to get the forum to load for an hour prior to this. Has Rich tweeted about this? Can someone maybe contact him via Patreon to let him know?
    as
    The Astral Collective

as

as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I had these issues for the past day, up until about the last fifteen minutes or so.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I've also having been the same issues; I generally haven't been able to connect, I'm not even loading the "The forum is too busy. Try again later" error page.
    ithilanor on Steam.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Let'sGetKraken View Post
    Has Rich tweeted about this? Can someone maybe contact him via Patreon to let him know?
    We're aware and monitoring the situation.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Perfect, thank you. Appreciate all the work you and the other mods do.
    as
    The Astral Collective

as

as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Ditto to all of the above -handshake, 504, time out, server busy - but I also noticed it is more frequent on my mobile than my laptop. Not sure if that is helpful info or not.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Also been having these issues, didn’t realize it wasn’t just me. Thank you for monitoring!
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

All this past week the Playground has continued to be grindingly slow for me. I’m not getting any Cloudflares or 504s, but it takes 30-40 seconds just to load each page, and posting is a genuine slog.

I’m not getting this on any other website. I’ve tried quitting and restarting Firefox, clearing my cache, etc., and nothing makes a difference. It’s only specific to the Playground. Is anyone else still having these issues?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

All this past week the Playground has continued to be grindingly slow for me. I’m not getting any Cloudflares or 504s, but it takes 30-40 seconds just to load each page, and posting is a genuine slog.

I’m not getting this on any other website. I’ve tried quitting and restarting Firefox, clearing my cache, etc., and nothing makes a difference. It’s only specific to the Playground. Is anyone else still having these issues?
    Yeah, that sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. I think I've had an actual error or two the last few days, but mostly it's just slooooooooow.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm experiencing the same.
    ithilanor on Steam.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm curious; is this the closest thing we have/need for a Sticky Thread on the subject? Don't want to be bothering the mods if they already know and are actively trying to fix it, though I'd be happy to corroborate the issues. Extreme Slowness, Unresponsive, Straight up "Too Busy. Try again later", Cloud Flare Issues, all that.

I hope the server isn't dying again...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Have the same issue. never once had an error message of any sort. but it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute for the site to load.

Its been about since the start of 2024 for me. Not trying to pester or anything, but are there any updates or is it just 'monitoring' still?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Likewise, no longer getting Cloudflare/Server busy notifs, but 30-40 second pageload times.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Having left this thread open, I assume that Rawhide was interested in either leaving you an outlet to update us on your experience or to collect more info.

For the latter, what usually helps is OS, detailed browser information, and exact error message you get.

On our end, we don't have any additional information to share, but I'm sure Rawhide will do so when we do.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Server Issues the Past 192 Hours

Yesterday, Saturday the 13th, the server was inaccessible to me for much of the day, with 504 errors or nothing loading at all. Today it’s been erratic, sometimes loading quickly and other times taking long enough that I get up and go do something else for a while.

I’m on a Mac running Firefox, and no other site is causing me these issues. It feels like whatever dark forces are afoot prefer to act up most on the weekends.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm usually on a PC with Firefox, but I tried switching both browser and computer (to Chrome and a Mac) and noticed no change in the behavior of the forums. I've mostly experienced very slow loading times almost constantly with the odd 500 or 504 error here and there. I think it might be sliiiightly better today than yesterday, but that might just be my imagination.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still having this issue as well, both on my laptop and my phone. Some of the other members I'm in a roleplaying game with have reported the same.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Mostly Safari and mobile, some Chrome and PC here, and also still having this issue. I want to say it’s worse in the evening, but I haven’t actually timed it.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to celebrate in advance, but now it's been working as normal (regular normal, not the new "pages taking a minute to load" normal) for me the last hour or so, which is the best the forum has performed in like a week.

EDIT: I think I might indeed have celebrated too soon. Now everything seems slow again, at least for me.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-01-15 at 08:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

I had some success with an Avast Secure Browser this morning; now I'm back to my Firefox and back to the snailcrawl speeds. Tried my backup Vivaldi too, just to be sure, but no luck.

As with others, no other site gives me problems of the sort.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Windows Firefox.

I noticed it was 'better' and fast again this morning around 8am-10am GMT, but it's since slowed again and as of this current post it's back to 30-40 second page load times, though no error messages, it just takes a while.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Amnestic
    I noticed it was 'better' and fast again this morning around 8am-10am GMT, but it's since slowed again and as of this current post it's back to 30-40 second page load times, though no error messages, it just takes a while.
    I’ve had almost the exact same experience today. Near-instantaneous page loads around 10:00 am -12:00 pm EST, then progressively slower for the rest of the day.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'd like to echo the other complaints. I've been noticing slow load times, sometimes maybe 20 seconds to load a page, for the last few days. I'm using Mac and I-phone, both Safari and Firefox. I've also seen others mention the same issue in threads. This is definitely a site-wide problem.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Last night, from approx. 7:00-10:00 pm EST, the pages were loading with glorious lickety-splitness; but during the past hour everything is back to glacial slowness, with 30-40 second page loading times.

That value has been consistent throughout the past 1.5 weeks, which may be relevant in itself.