New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default OOTS characters, 5E subclasses/specialties?

Got to thinking recently about how some of the characters would be categorized if converted to 5E rules. Some theories:

DURKON: Tempest Domain
    VAARSUVIUS: Evocation specialty
    HALEY: Thief subclass
    ROY: Great Weapon fighter, either Champion or Battle Master.
    XYKON: Either Wild Magic or Storm Sorcery (he does seem to enjoy his lightning).
    NALE: Depending on if he had enough levels in the class, Dueling fighter (not sure which archetype), Mastermind rogue; unknown which sorcery origin he’d have, but you can be sure he’d gripe about it.
    MIKO: Kensei monk, Oath of Vengeance Paladin.
    THOG: Berserker.

Any others you can think of?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: OOTS characters, 5E subclasses/specialties?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Sioux View Post
    Got to thinking recently about how some of the characters would be categorized if converted to 5E rules. Some theories:

DURKON: Tempest Domain
    VAARSUVIUS: Evocation specialty
    HALEY: Thief subclass
    ROY: Great Weapon fighter, either Champion or Battle Master.
    XYKON: Either Wild Magic or Storm Sorcery (he does seem to enjoy his lightning).
    NALE: Depending on if he had enough levels in the class, Dueling fighter (not sure which archetype), Mastermind rogue; unknown which sorcery origin heÂ’d have, but you can be sure heÂ’d gripe about it.
    MIKO: Kensei monk, Oath of Vengeance Paladin.
    THOG: Berserker.

By a funny coincidence, I was thinking of starting a similar thread on the 5e subforum.

What I considered:

Roy as a Battle Master, without a doubt.

Elan as a Valor Bard with (at least, but likely not more than) one level of Hexblade Warlock.

Belkar as a Beast Master Ranger.

Haley as a Thief Rogue is more than likely, however her signature "longbow multishot" would only work if she had two levels in Fighter as well.

I would say Durkon starting as a Life Cleric then coming back from his vampire-and-god-meeting experience as a Tempest Cleric would make sense.

Ironically Vaarsuvius could also start as a War Wizard, then switch to Scribe Wizard with Blackwing as stand-in for the spellbook. But Evoker works too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Re: OOTS characters, 5E subclasses/specialties?

I found myself imagining Nale taking the sorcerous equivalent of a blood-test, and finding out that he's in the Celestial category:

"But I'm a villain!"

As for Redcloak, it's not exactly clear what The Dark One's domains would be. Knowledge or War, perhaps?

(On an unrelated note: I tend to imagine Redcloak sounding like a cross between Edmund Blackadder and David Spade).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Haley as a Thief Rogue is more than likely, however her signature "longbow multishot" would only work if she had two levels in Fighter as well.
    In the comic she has a shortbow doesn't she?
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    In the comic she has a shortbow doesn't she?
    She's been using a longbow since the start of the webcomic.

Her most recent one was Brainy Pete's until she took it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It could also be a compound bow of some kind, or intermediate between a shortbow and a longbow somehow.

Also it's a magical object, it could well have the form of a shortbow, but with its various imbuements, act as a longbow instead.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

She explicitly calls her weapon a longbow in 454 (and yes, it's possible that the more recent weapon she took from Pete's den was a shortbow or whatever but that's by the by - she is 100% able to use longbows in the comic).

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    She explicitly calls her weapon a longbow in 454 (and yes, it's possible that the more recent weapon she took from Pete's den was a shortbow or whatever but that's by the by - she is 100% able to use longbows in the comic).
    I think you may be the first or at most second person aside from my dad, a couple of his closest friends, and his brother, that I have ever witnessed used the phrase "by the bye." And it was probably only about some time last year before I ever saw my dad use it in print instead of verbally to realize the second "bye" was b-y-e. He may have explained the origin, too, but I don't recall at the moment.
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2024-01-14 at 06:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    I think you may be the first or at most second person aside from my dad, a couple of his closest friends, and his brother, that I have ever witnessed used the phrase "by the bye." And it was probably only about some time last year before I ever saw my dad use it in print instead of verbally to realize the second "bye" was b-y-e. He may have explained the origin, too, but I don't recall at the moment.
    I think, both "by the by" and by the bye" are used, signaling that the statement, question or comment is a side track or byway in regards to the topic of the conversation, much as this comment in regard to the topic of this thread.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by drDunkel View Post
    I think, both "by the by" and by the bye" are used, signaling that the statement, question or comment is a side track or byway in regards to the topic of the conversation, much as this comment in regard to the topic of this thread.
    Yeah, it seems current usage favors "by the by" about 2:1 to "by the bye" from what I gathered after doing a little Googling.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

To me, Roy very much feels like the character the Battle Master was designed for.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    To me, Roy very much feels like the character the Battle Master was designed for.
    And we’re finally back on track with the original subject.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Something funny to consider is that in 5e, being a Lich is something pretty exclusive to Wizards. Sorcerers don't even have access to the spell required to eat the souls, as is needed to avoid the Lich's degradation.

So Xykon couldn't be a Lich and a Sorcerer at the same time.

The question is then, what kind of long-lasting, sapient undead could he be? Death Knight is for Paladin, he would rather die than do what it takes to become a Deathlock, a Vampire wouldn't actually be Xykon ...

However, there is one type of Undead that is sapient, keep their spellcasting, can last forever and can even be created by the divine knowledge Redcloack have access to.

So I posit that 5e Xykon would be a Mummy Lord.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

In 3.5 as well as 5E, the Rogue class does not grant Longbow proficiency, but it can instead be covered by a feat or something. The basic situation there isn't different between the editions, though the details differ. (A 5E Rogue is less likely to spend a feat to be proficient with a longbow, more likely to use some sort of crossbow rather than a bow, etc.) The issue, rather, is that 5E Rogues generally rely on dual wielding to make multiple attacks per round.

Maybe 5E Haley just got her boots dyed at an earlier point? Then it all works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Belkar as a Beast Master Ranger.

I would say Durkon starting as a Life Cleric then coming back from his vampire-and-god-meeting experience as a Tempest Cleric would make sense.
    Huh? 3.5 Durkon always had Weather and Good or something similar, not Healing. He does plenty of healing in no small part because his class offers the best healing, but he doesn't have the domain that leans into that. Instead Durkon has a domain appropriate to the god of storms that he worships. None of this has changed over time. One hundred percent Tempest Cleric in 5E, from day one to present.

Contrast that to Belkar, whose animal companions are a recent development. Early Belkar displayed no Beast Master tendencies whatsoever. ... And upon investigation, it looks like the Unearthed Arcana Ranger variant with no spells gets a weak beast ally at level 13. Bloodfeast is covered by a previously-unused Animal Handling proficiency. (We know that Belkar didn't pick Survival, and he has to have something beyond just Stealth and Athletics.) And Belkar also very eventually gets Evasion, so totally a Hunter with that stuff.

Remember, this is the Order of the Stick that we're talking about. Giving them all of the best options to be good at what they do is not a faithful translation of these characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Here are my thoughts!

Name:
    Class:
    Sub-Class:
    Class Details:
    Feat(s):
    Notes:

Name: Roy Greenhilt
    Class: Fighter
    Sub-Class: Battle Master
    Class Details: Fighting Style- Unarmed Fighting, Manuevers- Disarming Strike, Distracting Strike, Sweeping Attack, Commander's Strike, Goading Attack, Grappling Strike, Lunging Strike, Pecision Attack, Quick Toss
    Feat(s): Fighting Initiate (Fighting Style- Defense), Tough, Mage Slayer,
    Notes: Greenhilt Sword would definitely be a powerful magic item there.

Name: Haley Starshine
    Class: Rogue
    Sub-Class: Thief
    Class Details: Expertise- Deception, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand, Thieves' Tools
    Feat(s): Weapon Master (mainly for Longbow), Fightng Initiate (Fighting Style- Archery), Sharpshooter
    Notes: Would have her Boots of Speed and some form of Icy Burst Longbow

Name: Elan
    Class: Bard
    Sub-Class: College of Valor
    Class Details: Instrument- Lute
    Feat(s): Defensive Duelist
    Notes: May have a magic weapon that would allow him to replicate the abilities of Dashing Swordsman; don't really see him taking Hexblade

Name: Vaarsuvius
    Class: Wizard
    Sub-Class: School of Evocation
    Class Details: N/A
    Feat(s): Alert, Metamagic Adept (Extended Spell, Quicken Spell), maybe War Caster
    Notes: N/A

Name: Durkon Thundershield
    Class: Cleric
    Sub-Class: Tempest Domain
    Class Details: N/A
    Feat(s): Tough, maybe War Caster
    Notes: Would have his Hammer of Thunderbolts along with the other fun stuff

Name: Belkar Bitterleaf
    Primary Class: Ranger
    Primary Sub-Class: Hunter Conclave
    Secondary Class: Barbarian
    Secondary Sub-Class: N/A
    Class Details: Fighting Style- Two Weapon Fighting, Hunter Details- Horde Breaker, Multiattack Defense, Whirlwind Attack
    Feat(s): Dual Wielder
    Notes: Unsure on Mr. Scruffy how it fits here.

BONUS

Name: Minrah Shaleshoe
    Primary Class: Cleric
    Primary Sub-Class: Tempest Domain
    Secondary Class: Fighter
    Secondary Sub-Class: N/A
    Class Details: Fighting Style- Defense
    Feat(s): N/A
    Notes: Not sure over on much else here.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Roy:
    Battle Master
    Inspiring Leader Feat
    Great Weapon Fighting
    Great Weapon Master Feat
    Heavy Armor Master Feat
    Skill Expert Feat (Expertise in some INT based skill; history?)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-02-23 at 10:46 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Xykon is a villainous NPC and could easily have a special Lich variant technique that works on sorcerers.

I think Elan would be a College of Swords Bard instead of Valor. The flourishy nature fits him better. And it’s not very effective mechanically, which fits him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    I wish to fill your intellect with light,
    light so aflame with life that cannot cease,
    in your eyes it will tremble like a star. -Beatrice, Paradiso 2.109-11

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Haley:
    Rogue, Thief, Expertise in Persuasion and Deception
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

mad Re: OOTS characters, 5E subclasses/specialties?

l
    Draconic could also work, with a Blue/Bronze ancestry to supplement his Lightning. Plus, it was like the default assumption for why Sorcerers could use their magic

20. - Top - End - #20

ClericGuy

No way, Xykon would go full Shadow Sorcerer. It all compliments his lichdom and necromancy. Ghost form -> Umbral Form. Supplement his undead with the Hound of Ill Omen. Strength of the Grave, make him even harder to bring down. Eyes of the Dark, easy way to mess with people using low-tier magic without having to spend spell slots.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley