New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Hazbin Hotel Season 1

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Sadly, I had to drop this one...

The art style, animation and voice acting are really freaking good! Top notch!

But the writing is pretty bad... The tired plot. The absurd levels of exposition over and over again. The inconsistent atmosphere and characterization... It feels like the quality of the writing took a nose-dive between the pilot and the actual series. It's like the writers couldn't even decide what the show's about... Or even the theme of a single episode.

Well... I hope more indie animators get a chance like this, but after 3 episodes, I was already rolling my eyes and no amount of pretty visuals and nice voice acting could make me care enough to keep going.
    To me, it felt like it was mostly Amazon fault. If you look up Viz Tweet history, she complained that she regretted selling her IP for Hazbin Hotel because she had to other people directions when it comes to her own story and change the setting when they asked or fight tooth and nails to explain why their ideas would make the final product suffer. And because she was fighting for it, she was being seeing as a high maintenance artist by them and only given 8 episodes to work with. So she had to cram so much in 8 episodes.

BUT... I'm agreeing with you that Vix only write about couple issues and daddy issues. Its gimmicky but if Fairy Odds Parents was popular despite being obviously gimmicky (Timmy makes a wish, it goes horribly wrong, spend the rest of the episode to fix it), then I would put the show in the same category. And it's still another serie that Heaven is the bad guys so the setting is not that original.

People like Hazbin Hotel for the visuals, the voice acting and the songs. It's the first time I like something close to be a musical as normally, I see the songs as useless fillers. Not this time though lol
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2024-03-06 at 10:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    To me, it felt like it was mostly Amazon fault.
    Oh, definitely...

I'm not going to pretend Viz and her team are free of blame... But I'm willing to bet the lion's share of the responsibility lies with Amazon. I can definitely see they dumbing down things and adding a lot of writers who may or may not see eye-to-eye on where the story should go (they have 9 writers for the show... Which might help explain the inconsistencies in theme, mood and characterization).
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2024-03-06 at 06:38 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    To me, it felt like it was mostly Amazon fault. If you look up Viz Tweet history, she complained that she regretted selling her IP for Hazbin Hotel because she had to other people directions when it comes to her own story and change the setting when they asked or fight tooth and nails to explain why their ideas would make the final product suffer. And because she was fighting for it, she was being seeing as a high maintenance artist by them and only given 8 episodes to work with. So she had to cram so much in 8 episodes.
    Well that's unfortunate to hear. I didn't realise there was so much drama behind the scenes. It probably could have done with a couple of episodes focusing on the hotel itself. Y'know, them trying to redeem sinners and getting into random trouble Alastor helps them out of.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."