1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Persona! Gosei High

Spoiler: Qu'est-ce que c'est?
    Show
    Proficiency: 2d6+1 7

A Hit!

“This one appears different,” Chrétien observed as he poked it with a toothpick. “Has it been made for someone in particular or is it for the most adventurous amongst us?

“I do not wish to be rude in taking it if it is meant for someone else. But if it is a here as a challenge or a petite plaisanterie, I do not mind risking it. It is all a chance for something new, eh?”

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

“I get that,” Akiko replies to Yoshiro. “The too much change part, at least. It is an adjustment leaving home and coming to a dorm. I think you’ll get used to it though. I actually really like it,” she says with a smile.

“I also wouldn’t let your brother bother you too much. Brothers are supposed to pick on their younger siblings. It’s just what they do.”

She bumps Yoshiro’s elbow with her own. “You’ll figure everything out. Don’t worry about it, Shiro-kun.”

With Mrs. Kimura, Akiko smiles. “That’s great news! I look forward to seeing you later, Mrs. Kimura.”

She takes the taiyaki, then rejoins the group, offering Koji and Yoshiro the baked fish-shaped cakes. “Guess who’s gonna be selling taiyaki at the school store this year?”

She observes the tray that Arata has gotten, making note of the odd one out.

Notice the weird Takoyaki: 9

3. - Top - End - #33

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    “I get that,” Akiko replies to Yoshiro. “The too much change part, at least. It is an adjustment leaving home and coming to a dorm. I think you’ll get used to it though. I actually really like it,” she says with a smile.

“I also wouldn’t let your brother bother you too much. Brothers are supposed to pick on their younger siblings. It’s just what they do.”

She bumps Yoshiro’s elbow with her own. “You’ll figure everything out. Don’t worry about it, Shiro-kun.”

With Mrs. Kimura, Akiko smiles. “That’s great news! I look forward to seeing you later, Mrs. Kimura.”
    Toshiro nods and then smiles. "Yeah, leaving home is the hard part. at least now I know for sure there are people I'll know. And some nice upperclassmen. Arata-senpai seems like he's fairly laid back too. Not even sure when I'll meet my hall mates since most of them skipped out on meet-up day." He shook his head.

He raised an eyebrow and then nodded. "Yeah, they do......" His voice trailed off. "Guess I'd do the same if our ages were reversed." He chuckles as Akiko elbows him. "Thanks, Akiko-senpai. I feel way better now." He grins widely.

Mrs. Kimura bows and waves. "I'm looking looking forward to it as well! Thank you!"

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    Fair Hijinks:
    Having recovered his composure, Sakuma turns his attention back to the group. "Thanks Arata, that's really generous." He says, carefully selecting a normal takoyaki.

Sakuma surreptitiously readies his camera, hoping to get a reaction shot of whoever ends up with the 'lucky' Takoyaki.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    “This one appears different,” Chrétien observed as he poked it with a toothpick. “Has it been made for someone in particular or is it for the most adventurous amongst us?

“I do not wish to be rude in taking it if it is meant for someone else. But if it is a here as a challenge or a petite plaisanterie, I do not mind risking it. It is all a chance for something new, eh?”
    She takes the taiyaki, then rejoins the group, offering Koji and Yoshiro the baked fish-shaped cakes. “Guess who’s gonna be selling taiyaki at the school store this year?”
    Koji and Toshiro both turn into little kids seeing the taiyaki and graciously accept. Koji starts off with it. "Wow, I can't believe you found this! you just hid it from us in your bag didn't you, Aki-chan." He winks.

Toshiro starts with the wrapper as he balances all the other stuff in his arms. "So that's where you ran off to!"

They both ask at the same time. "Who?"

Koji munches on the taiyaki. "I swear if you tell me it's the only person in town that makes it a........" He stops and his eyes widen tasting it. "No........... You're messing with me.........." A grin creeps across his face.

Yoshiro chuckles. "Gotta stay in shape though, Koji." Koji looks defeated as the reminder from his brother hits his ears.

Arata grins at Sakuma as he thanked him and took a takoyaki. "Anytime, Sakuma-san! They had a special going too, but I can't remember what it was for entirely. Think they called this one, "Wheel of Fortune"." He says with a shrug.

As Chrétien makes the one standing out known, Arata looks down at it and squints. "Huh, think that may be what they meant by the wheel of fortune. I'm going with adventurous so go for it, Chrétien-san!" He grins.

Koji and Yoshiro look over and raise their eyebrows. "Arata-kun, do you know why they call it that?" Yoshiro asked. Arata shook his head.

"Nope, think he should go for it though for the experience!" Arata grins widely.

Spoiler: Show me yer GUTS!
    Show

Spoiler: SUCCESS!
    Show
    It's spicy. REALLY Spicy. You hold your composure!

Spoiler: Failure
    Show
    You're entirely convinced the special ingredient is an amalgamation of the hottest peppers in the world. As though the Devil himself made this. You are in need of water or milk.

The line for the maze is super short, and the exit seems to lead to the fortuneteller.

4. - Top - End - #34

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    Koji and Toshiro both turn into little kids seeing the taiyaki and graciously accept. Koji starts off with it. "Wow, I can't believe you found this! you just hid it from us in your bag didn't you, Aki-chan." He winks.

Toshiro starts with the wrapper as he balances all the other stuff in his arms. "So that's where you ran off to!"

They both ask at the same time. "Who?"

Koji munches on the taiyaki. "I swear if you tell me it's the only person in town that makes it a........" He stops and his eyes widen tasting it. "No........... You're messing with me.........." A grin creeps across his face.

Yoshiro chuckles. "Gotta stay in shape though, Koji." Koji looks defeated as the reminder from his brother hits his ears.

Arata grins at Sakuma as he thanked him and took a takoyaki. "Anytime, Sakuma-san! They had a special going too, but I can't remember what it was for entirely. Think they called this one, "Wheel of Fortune"." He says with a shrug.

As Chrétien makes the one standing out known, Arata looks down at it and squints. "Huh, think that may be what they meant by the wheel of fortune. I'm going with adventurous so go for it, Chrétien-san!" He grins.

Koji and Yoshiro look over and raise their eyebrows. "Arata-kun, do you know why they call it that?" Yoshiro asked. Arata shook his head.

"Nope, think he should go for it though for the experience!" Arata grins widely.

Spoiler: Show me yer GUTS!
    Show

Show
    You're entirely convinced the special ingredient is an amalgamation of the hottest peppers in the world. As though the Devil himself made this. You are in need of water or milk.

The line for the maze is super short, and the exit seems to lead to the fortuneteller.
    Spoiler: Hothothothothot!
    Show
    Guts: 2d6+1 3

Putain,” Chrétien manages to cough out as he feels the heat of the takoyaki invade his lungs as well as his stomach.

Despite the pain, he laughs, wiping away the tears that come with the heat.

“I did say I wanted une grande expérience, mais non?” He made a sound somewhere in between coughing and a laugh. “I do so hope you co- co— caught my good side, Sakuma. If so, we can send the picture to my uncle with the tale of the story.”

He coughed some more and wiped away another tear.

“Perhaps we can find some milk along the way to the fortune teller — although it is clear I should have consulted her before spinning the Wheel of Fortune, Arata-san.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2024-02-16 at 10:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Hothothothothot!
    Show
    Guts: 2d6+1 3

Putain,” Chrétien manages to cough out as he feels the heat of the takoyaki invade his lungs as well as his stomach.

Despite the pain, he laughs, wiping away the tears that come with the heat.

“I did say I wanted une grande expérience, mais non?” He made a sound somewhere in between coughing and a laugh. “I do so hope you co- co— caught my good side, Sakuma. If so, we can send the picture to my uncle with the tale of the story.”

He coughed some more and wiped away another tear.

“Perhaps we can find some milk along the way to the fortune teller — although it is clear I should have consulted her before spinning the Wheel of Fortune, Arata-san.”
    Arata's eyes widen as he watches the scene and his expression is almost one of shared pain. "I don't know what that first word was, but I have a decent guess." He winces and starts to laugh with Chrétien so he feels a bit better.

Koji looks around to try and find something for the Frenchman, before running off. Yoshiro has an extremely pained expression on his face, as though he had wanted to try it, but now was glad he hadn't.

"Guess so, hopefully, the rest of the year is not as heated as that." Arata chuckles. "Good show though, Chrétien-san! I do hope that your uncle won't blame me too much for it either." He smiles.

After a few minutes, Koji comes running back, handing a small bottle to Chrétien. "Here ya go, bud. Now if your main card they show you is the Wheel of Fortune, I'll have some concerns." He laughs a bit.

6. - Top - End - #36

OldWizardGuy

Arata's eyes widen as he watches the scene and his expression is almost one of shared pain. "I don't know what that first word was, but I have a decent guess." He winces and starts to laugh with Chrétien so he feels a bit better.

Koji looks around to try and find something for the Frenchman, before running off. Yoshiro has an extremely pained expression on his face, as though he had wanted to try it, but now was glad he hadn't.

"Guess so, hopefully, the rest of the year is not as heated as that." Arata chuckles. "Good show though, Chrétien-san! I do hope that your uncle won't blame me too much for it either." He smiles.

After a few minutes, Koji comes running back, handing a small bottle to Chrétien. "Here ya go, bud. Now if your main card they show you is the Wheel of Fortune, I'll have some concerns." He laughs a bit.
    “The only thing my uncle will blame you for is his not being here to see my face when I bit into the takoyaki,” Chrétien assured them. “And if the Wheel of Fortune is drawn for me, mes amis, I will have none to blame but myself and will, indeed embrace what comes of it as best I can. Like the moon, Fortune waxes and wanes and none may know what she will bring to us. Or so the song goes at the start of the film Excalibur.”

He smiled after another brief cough and swig from the bottle Koji provided. “I don’t know if it is likely to have been seen here. Kurosawa’s Ran is a more likely tragedy for you to have seen. Although Arthurian Romance is not so clear cut as to fit neatly into comedy and tragedy — although Fortuna plays her part in such tales.”

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Interlude:

Sakuma shades his eyes and his camera with his hand and examines the 'reaction shot' of Dumas' Special Takoyaki and grins. Now that's one for the papers.

"Well, now that we've had something to eat, and had a teeny tiny test of courage, maybe we should head to The Maze?" The redhead offers, jerking a thumb towards the building in question.

8. - Top - End - #38

AssassinGuy

Interlude:

Sakuma shades his eyes and his camera with his hand and examines the 'reaction shot' of Dumas' Special Takoyaki and grins. Now that's one for the papers.

"Well, now that we've had something to eat, and had a teeny tiny test of courage, maybe we should head to The Maze?" The redhead offers, jerking a thumb towards the building in question.
    Arata chuckles as Koji just sighs, looking at Akiko and Yoshiro. "Yoshi, you good, or want to stick close by for it?"

Yoshiro seems a bit nervous at the Test of Courage maze and nods. "I-I'll be ok, but don't go too far okay?" Koji just grins as he moves towards the maze. "Same question to you, Aki-chan. Pretty sure there are a few third-years in there as monsters."

Arata offers a shoulder for Chrétien, if he needs it after the painful experience, and holds up a 'V for Victory' sign. "Guess that's another one for ya, Sakuma!"

As the group clears by, they notice that the line is especially thin. It appears as though many have avoided this maze for other experiences. You are ushered in by an adult attendant that reminds you to not wildly punch or kick as the actors may get hurt, and they would rather you not hurt yourselves as well. It seems as though many have gathered for the Principal's speech, though it has yet to start. It appears that Gosei-sensei is running much more behind than last year.

Granted, everyone remembers that his habit of running behind is attributed to his enjoyment of life as well. As you enter the maze, the lights shift between a deep crimson, blinding yellow, and a forest green. As you go further, starting noises start to appear from the same direction where the obvious fog machine is blowing from.

Arata jumps a bit hearing what appears to be a chainsaw, Koji stoically is unphased by anything that occurs. Every so often, an actor jumps out at you with such speed and a startling yell that causes you to question how they could afford such costumes.

Now and then, you see an actor that moves, but pays no attention to you at all. As though in a trance or just going about their day. The costumes look far more realistic for those actors than they should.

OOC: Feel free to narrate reactions to the end as you like!

9. - Top - End - #39

OldWizardGuy

Arata chuckles as Koji just sighs, looking at Akiko and Yoshiro. "Yoshi, you good, or want to stick close by for it?"

Yoshiro seems a bit nervous at the Test of Courage maze and nods. "I-I'll be ok, but don't go too far okay?" Koji just grins as he moves towards the maze. "Same question to you, Aki-chan. Pretty sure there are a few third-years in there as monsters."

Arata offers a shoulder for Chrétien, if he needs it after the painful experience, and holds up a 'V for Victory' sign. "Guess that's another one for ya, Sakuma!"

As the group clears by, they notice that the line is especially thin. It appears as though many have avoided this maze for other experiences. You are ushered in by an adult attendant that reminds you to not wildly punch or kick as the actors may get hurt, and they would rather you not hurt yourselves as well. It seems as though many have gathered for the Principal's speech, though it has yet to start. It appears that Gosei-sensei is running much more behind than last year.

Granted, everyone remembers that his habit of running behind is attributed to his enjoyment of life as well. As you enter the maze, the lights shift between a deep crimson, blinding yellow, and a forest green. As you go further, starting noises start to appear from the same direction where the obvious fog machine is blowing from.

Arata jumps a bit hearing what appears to be a chainsaw, Koji stoically is unphased by anything that occurs. Every so often, an actor jumps out at you with such speed and a startling yell that causes you to question how they could afford such costumes.

Now and then, you see an actor that moves, but pays no attention to you at all. As though in a trance or just going about their day. The costumes look far more realistic for those actors than they should.

OOC: Feel free to narrate reactions to the end as you like!
    Spoiler: An Uncalled For Die Roll — which was unexpectedly strong — to Help Me Structure Things
    Show
    Guts: 2d6+1 11
    Since I’m still trying to get a full handle on the character, I thought I would roll to give myself some place to start.

The roll was high enough that I thought to include it here to give a sense of Chrétien‘s poise throughout the maze.

His experience with the takoyaki had gotten Chrétien’s heart pumping, preparing his body for the lights, sounds, and jump scares of the maze. It wasn’t that he was unphased by these. Indeed, it was quite the opposite at times. With one or two of the yōkai (He thought that was the correct word. Chrétien had to concede that much of the metaphysical subtlety between actual Japanese spirits and some of the made for manga monsters was lost on him.), he found himself slipping into one of the HEMA stances he knew before smiling at his overreaction to the funhouse maze.

His trainers would have been pleased to see that he would have been at the ready, had this have been an actual encounter.

It was a heart-pounding experience to be sure, but Chrétien was enjoying himself immensely.

“What are the actors who seem to be here but not here, mes amis?” Chrétien asked his companions. “The costumes are impressive. Are they here more to be admired than interacted with? Perhaps fashion students displaying their skill? Their costumes are most impressive.”

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Akiko swallows slightly at the thought of heading into the maze, but nods. “Let’s go,” she says with feigned bravery.

Once in the maze, she relaxes somewhat. While she enjoyed the dump of adrenaline when someone would jump out, it wasn’t too scary. She held her ground and didn’t once try to hide behind Koji.

“It’s kinda weird, isn’t it,” she says after Chrétien‘s observation. She tries to look more closely at one of the people that seems to be just going about their day, attempting to observe their reaction to her.

11. - Top - End - #41

AssassinGuy

“What are the actors who seem to be here but not here, mes amis?” Chrétien asked his companions. “The costumes are impressive. Are they here more to be admired than interacted with? Perhaps fashion students displaying their skill? Their costumes are most impressive.”
    Akiko swallows slightly at the thought of heading into the maze, but nods. “Let’s go,” she says with feigned bravery.

Once in the maze, she relaxes somewhat. While she enjoyed the dump of adrenaline when someone would jump out, it wasn’t too scary. She held her ground and didn’t once try to hide behind Koji.

“It’s kinda weird, isn’t it,” she says after Chrétien‘s observation. She tries to look more closely at one of the people that seems to be just going about their day, attempting to observe their reaction to her.
    Koji looks at Chrétien with much askance, as he turns to see where he had motioned. Yoshiro just nods and tilts his head, as does Arata.

"I'm not sure honestly," Yoshiro started. "It's kinda weird that they don't even seem to notice us either."

Arata nods in agreement as another crosses the path. "Very impressive work on these. I can't even see the wire holding that guy up." He points to what appears like a half-floating horse yokai. "I wouldn't have expected that kind of work to go into this at all." Another passes by, this one seemingly as a normal woman in a dress, though her dress is far older than you would expect.

Spoiler: Knowledge: Chrétien
    Show

Because I think Chrétien would be closest to getting this.
    Spoiler: Success
    Show
    You recognize this actor as being dressed as a Silkie from Irish mythology.

Show
    That's a very well-made silk dress, but you feel you have seen it before.

Spoiler: Knowledge for Akiko and Sakuma
    Show

On a success, you know these are not students now having seen this one up close. Make a Guts check to not freak out.

As more actors like this pass you by, you begin to hear a voice in the back of your head. Like a whisper that tells you it's time to flee. You vaguely recognize the voice from your recent dreams, and notice Arata looking around trying to find the source. Yoshiro seems to have gotten more scared and is clinging to Koji.

Spoiler: Chrétien
    Show
    Flee, young knight. This is not where you should be. And it is not yet your time, but soon. May the Grail be your guide in this trial, as we will meet soon.

Spoiler: Akiko
    Show
    The stench of life fades, you do not belong near these beings. It is time for a change, and it will come soon. Far sooner than you think. Heed my warning and stay near these, humans, as they will assist you. I will see you soon, young one.

Spoiler: Sakuma
    Show
    There is a roar before the words come. Truth is simple, and you have found one of them. Fight it, and show the world this truth so that they may understand! These beings are the ENEMY! And you will wield the blade against them. It seems you will have my power soon, far sooner than expected young inquisitor.
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2024-02-27 at 06:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

OldWizardGuy

Koji looks at Chrétien with much askance, as he turns to see where he had motioned. Yoshiro just nods and tilts his head, as does Arata.

"I'm not sure honestly," Yoshiro started. "It's kinda weird that they don't even seem to notice us either."

Arata nods in agreement as another crosses the path. "Very impressive work on these. I can't even see the wire holding that guy up." He points to what appears like a half-floating horse yokai. "I wouldn't have expected that kind of work to go into this at all." Another passes by, this one seemingly as a normal woman in a dress, though her dress is far older than you would expect.

Spoiler: Knowledge: Chrétien
    Show

Because I think Chrétien would be closest to getting this.
    Spoiler: Success
    Show
    You recognize this actor as being dressed as a Silkie from Irish mythology.

Show
    That's a very well-made silk dress, but you feel you have seen it before.

Spoiler: Knowledge for Akiko and Sakuma
    Show

On a success, you know these are not students now having seen this one up close. Make a Guts check to not freak out.
    Spoiler: Irish Myth? Not really my thing. Well, except for Tristain and Isolde, of course….
    Show
    Knowledge: 2d6 5

“They are most remarkable,” Chrétien observed with a furrowed brow. There was something about the fur that edged the silk of the woman’s dress — a dress from an earlier time — that tugged at his memory. It was European in style but not from France.

But place it, he could not.

“I feel I should know the character of the woman in the silk dress with touches of seal fur at the cuffs and hem and neckline but cannot place her. A minor character from a Manga or Miraculous, les aventures de Ladybug et Chat Noir, whose name escapes me at the moment? Nevertheless, the cosplayer who made it was to be complimented on their skill.”

He glanced behind him, trying to place where the voices he was hearing were coming from.

“Even if,” he added, increasingly quietly. “Even if she does not wish to be spoken to. They must not break the fourth wall….”

As more actors like this pass you by, you begin to hear a voice in the back of your head. Like a whisper that tells you it's time to flee. You vaguely recognize the voice from your recent dreams, and notice Arata looking around trying to find the source. Yoshiro seems to have gotten more scared and is clinging to Koji.

Spoiler: Chrétien
    Show
    Flee, young knight. This is not where you should be. And it is not yet your time, but soon. May the Grail be your guide in this trial, as we will meet soon.

[/SPOILER]
    The voice from his dreams.

That glorious voice.

La Demoiselle du Lac.

He could almost taste the air of the lake — feel the night-cooled mist on his face and hands.

There was no mistaking her — no refusing her commands.

He was but her loyal servant, bound to her service.

He must not fear. He must not fail.

And he must protect his friends.

They would not understand. They would think him mad.

But her voice compelled and spurred him to action.

“As lovely as they are,” he said with somewhat more forced elan than he would have liked as he began to move forward, carefully skirting the figures as he angled for the exit. “I am anxious to see if the Wheel will turn for good or ill for me. Shall we to the fortune teller and see what she predicts for us?”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2024-02-27 at 07:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Enter the Maze:

It's an absolute crime that all this effort can't be documented and appreciated. This is some serious top notch stuff. Sakuma thinks to himself, lamenting the strictures against recordings or flash photography, and knowing his equipment wouldn't do anything justice anyway.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say they were projections, or models on rollers or something." Sakuma offers, watching the extra special actors glide by them, ignoring their existence.

Sakuma looks at one of those actors more closely as it passes nearby and shivers, gooseflesh taking hold all over his body as a primal thrill of fear and awareness overtakes him.

This is it. This is what it's like, this is Great Cthulhu rising from the depths, this is to stare into the uncaring, unfeeling abyss This is...

Sakuma swallows several times, trying to still his racing thoughts and keep up an appearance of normalcy.

Maybe I got the extra special Takoyaki, not Tien-san.

Inwardly shaken, Sakuma moves on with the group, but can't stop from looking around for a speaker or other source of the whispering. He flinches and hunches his shoulders when the whisper escalates to the roar of a freight train clattering noisily through his mind. He remembers in his guts the half-remembered phantoms and happenings of a series of misty nightmares he'd been having for weeks.

He was falling from a great height before being plunged deep beneath the surface of black waters only to crash ashore a red beach, stained with blood, as black iron tracks and thorny ties erupted from the pebbly beach and the roar of an unseen, soul powered locomotive barreled down on him before a slimy sensation dragged him back into the depths where some massive creature of blade and teeth and eyes and alien physiology circled and swam in the water, undulating and pulsing, driving a massive, world ending spike or blade into-

He shook himself again, returning to the moment.

"Tien-san has the right idea." He says breathlessly. "We should find the exit. It'd be a shame to find out it's a race or something after lollygagging around here." He laughs hollowly and makes a bee-line towards where he has intuited the exit must lie.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Akiko starts as she hears the voice in her head that had been plaguing her dreams for the last few months. She knew what the voice belonged to. A faceless winged demon that played at being a gentleman until she fell into the inky darkness of his wings.

It wasn’t something that she thought she would ever hear while she was awake. Her skin prickles as goosebumps break out across her arms and neck.

“I think Sakuma-san has the right idea,” she says, glancing at Koji and Yoshiro. “Let’s get out of here.”

15. - Top - End - #45

AssassinGuy

Arata and Yoshiro look at the rest of the group and nod. Arata speaks up as Yoshiro cowers closer to Koji.

“Ain’t gotta tell me twice. Those projections are…..” Another passed by before Arata could finish and it appeared as a floating pumpkin with a cape, hat, and lantern. Unlike the others, this one was speaking.

“HEE-HO!” It still ignored you for the most part.

Yoshiro starts shaking and about moves to bolt for the exit but it stopped by Koji. “It’s fine little bro. It’s just a prop they made with a speaker in the pumpkin. Totally normal stuff.”

Spoiler: Proficiency and an OOC
    Show
    On a success, you notice that he is fairly unphased by it all. As though what had happened to you all, Arata and Yoshiro included, hadn’t happened to him.

Also, gain 2 exp in Knowledge, Proficiency, and Guts.

Arata looks at Koji as though the baseball player had gone mad, but shrugs it off. “Let’s get him to the exit either way. How are you not creeped out by this?”

Koji shrugs. “It’s all fake. If these things were walking, and we had felt them, then that would be a different story.” He grins.

After you pass where those ‘actors’ had been, things settle back to normal. You are quickly guided to the exit and make it back outside with a cheer from the maze group hoping that you will stop by again.

Arata shakes his head and grabs a water bottle from his bag to hand to Yoshiro. “Here ya go, Yoshiro-kun. Should help with the nerves.”

Yoshiro is still shaking, but takes the bottle and downs half of it. “T-thank you, Arata-senpai.”

Koji chuckles. “Man, you just come prepared for anything, don’tcha? We’ll get some more snacks in just a bit too, ok? Gotta see how far the wheel turns for Tien-san.” He grins at the Frenchman.

Not long after you leave the maze line, you are beckoned towards what looks like a fortune teller stand by a young woman. From the street, you see her platinum blonde hair in a bun, covered by a blue scarf. The black and navy robe looks as though it’s just for show, but a closer look reveals it’s more than a mere costume. This was hand made and finely tailored.

"Welcome, child,” she says with a wide grin. "Care for a reading on you coming spring? The cards are never wrong. Love, grades, finances, even the triumphs and falls. Tell me, what is your name? You may call me, Nadia.”

As you answer her, she begins to draw cards from the tarot deck. You notice that she only places one in front of each of you.

"My, an interesting fate lies before you. While only a single card, know that it represents your coming year, and the journey you will face.”

In front of Chrétien, she places the Lovers card. Before Arata, the Hanged Man. Akiko receives the Death card, and Sakuma is shown the Judgment.

Koji has stepped back and is not checking out the cards, not believing in this stuff, but Yoshiro has joined you at the booth. It appears he has been given the Wheel of Fortune. Yoshiro raises an eyebrow at the card then looks at Chrétien.

“I thought this would be your card. Is this usual for a reading, Nadia-san?”

Nadia nods and grins widely. “For this type, yes. I would be glad to do a full reading of course, but time constrains us today. Perhaps there is something you have seen already that influences this?”

Yoshiro gulps and nods. Nadia’s smile grows wider and then settles back to the reading.

She turns to Chrétien first. “You have been blessed by the Lovers it seems. Keep in mind your relationships and values, and understand the choices that you will make. Don’t fall into imbalance and disharmony, for it will be your downfall. Be wary of false promises, and nurture those relationships that you have, and will make.” She eyes the rest of the group for a moment.

She goes in order of you all by card number.

“The Wheel of Fortune spins and spins, but it is pure chance. The whims of fate guide you, young one. In the upright position, you will find good luck and life cycles, but revered, you find bad luck, and resistance to change. Change is hard, and you will see a lot of it this year, but do not resist as not all change is bad.”

“It seems that you have been caught in a moment of pause, as the Hanged Man cannot move until he realizes what is before him, and after. You will be presented with new perspectives, and be faced with the choice to surrender, or hang on. The Hanged Man teaches us not to fall into gripping tightly, but to contemplate, and relax.

“Death, it comes to us all, child. But this card is not just the literal meaning, it represents change. Your life will change greatly this year as Death is not just an ending, but a beginning as well. Allow the transformation, and even in the reverse, there is inner change.” She smiles at Akiko in a comforting manner. It’s never easy when she draws the Death card for someone.

“Judgment, the time of the end. That inner calling and the time of rebirth as the journey ends. You will be called to cast judgment on those around you, and to separate the rights and wrongs. Be wary, as you will be plagued by self-doubt should you falter. You will be the worst critic of yourself, and must heed the call when it is placed. Judgment, like Death, waits for no man.”

She smiles and waits for if the group has any questions before continuing.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Akiko gives Yoshiro a comforting pat on the shoulder as they leave the maze.

Somehow, getting the Death card didn’t surprise her. She had already dealt with her brother’s death last year, but it was nice to hear that not all change was bad. She hoped that was true.

She looks at Koji as he shrugs off the entire experience. “Hey, Koji-san. Why don’t you see what card you get? Humor me.”

OOC: Proficiency-9

17. - Top - End - #47

OldWizardGuy

Spoiler: Proficiency and an OOC
    Show
    On a success, you notice that he is fairly unphased by it all. As though what had happened to you all, Arata and Yoshiro included, hadn’t happened to him.

Also, gain 2 exp in Knowledge, Proficiency, and Guts.
    Spoiler: Chrétien’s Mind is on the Lady of the Lake
    Show
    Proficiency: 2d6+1 4

Koji chuckles. “Man, you just come prepared for anything, don’tcha? We’ll get some more snacks in just a bit too, ok? Gotta see how far the wheel turns for Tien-san.” He grins at the Frenchman.

Not long after you leave the maze line, you are beckoned towards what looks like a fortune teller stand by a young woman. From the street, you see her platinum blonde hair in a bun, covered by a blue scarf. The black and navy robe looks as though it’s just for show, but a closer look reveals it’s more than a mere costume. This was hand made and finely tailored.

"Welcome, child,” she says with a wide grin. "Care for a reading on you coming spring? The cards are never wrong. Love, grades, finances, even the triumphs and falls. Tell me, what is your name? You may call me, Nadia.”

As you answer her, she begins to draw cards from the tarot deck. You notice that she only places one in front of each of you.

"My, an interesting fate lies before you. While only a single card, know that it represents your coming year, and the journey you will face.”

In front of Chrétien, she places the Lovers card. Before Arata, the Hanged Man. Akiko receives the Death card, and Sakuma is shown the Judgment.

Koji has stepped back and is not checking out the cards, not believing in this stuff, but Yoshiro has joined you at the booth. It appears he has been given the Wheel of Fortune. Yoshiro raises an eyebrow at the card then looks at Chrétien.

“I thought this would be your card. Is this usual for a reading, Nadia-san?”

Nadia nods and grins widely. “For this type, yes. I would be glad to do a full reading of course, but time constrains us today. Perhaps there is something you have seen already that influences this?”

Yoshiro gulps and nods. Nadia’s smile grows wider and then settles back to the reading.
    “Perhaps we are standing in the wrong places? Or perhaps it is your turn for the wheel,” Chrétien joked, wondering if the word play translated well before turning more serious with Nadia. “Seen and heard, perhaps. It might be easier to know if you would tell us more, s’il vous plaît.”

She turns to Chrétien first. “You have been blessed by the Lovers it seems. Keep in mind your relationships and values, and understand the choices that you will make. Don’t fall into imbalance and disharmony, for it will be your downfall. Be wary of false promises, and nurture those relationships that you have, and will make.” She eyes the rest of the group for a moment.

[snip]

She smiles and waits for if the group has any questions before continuing.[/QUOTE]

Sound advice, regardless, Chrétien thought with an edge of disappointment — although the nod towards his new friends was more than a little reassuring. Having just touched the wondrous, he yearned for more — whether that be greater mystery or clarity about his relationship to his Lady.

And yet, there was a hint of the wondrous here. While her words were prudent advice for anyone living abroad, there was a hint of a vibration there — of a significance that went beyond what one might find in an advice column or closing paragraph of a web page.

He wanted to hear more.

“When might we find the time for the fuller reading you suggest, madmoiselle? The cards seem to hint at significances but it remains clouded to me. And given your advice, such uncertainty feels perilous.”

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Wheel of Morality, Turn, Turn, Turn:

Sakuma eyes Koji for a long moment over his dismissive attitude, but says nothing, not yet sure of himself.

The sunlight dispels much of the nerves built up over the last several minutes, it's almost enough to convince the would-be investigator that he'd spooked himself, that he'd somehow sent his own imagination into overdrive and he'd passed by some high quality paper-mache chicanery.

Almost.

The red-haired youth blinks, brought forth from his ruminations and back to the moment by the words of the Fortune Teller.

He glances at everyone's cards and looks down at his own Arcana with a mixture of consternation and interest in his eyes. He listens to Nadia as she rattles off an explanation to everyone.

He does a double take at his own card, seeing a blade-faced monster - a glare from the sun - before the image of a trumpet blowing angel and the raised dead reasserts itself to his eyes.

With a flippant bravado he didn't feel, Sakuma says "It makes sense that everyone's cards and readings have to do with big changes."

He jerks a thumb at the main class building. "Start of a new school year, dorm life, brand new adventures, all that jazz."

Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/Whatnot
    Show

Finally dropped one: 6 on Proficiency
    Aspect Experience allotted accordingly

Self-Imposed Knowledge: 11
    In his studies of Lovecraft and the blurry line before legitimate and fictional occult, Sakuma has studied the traditional Tarot.

19. - Top - End - #49

AssassinGuy

Koji sighs and walks over. Nadia smirks a bit and draws another, placing it in front of him facedown.

"It's fine, not everyone wants to know about change. Even if it is inevitable and something that makes sense with dorm life and school." She eyes Sakuma. "It's all a matter of how that change comes about. With you, it may well be to illuminate the truth of the world to others, while Akiko-chan's may very well be to cause that change herself. No one can know for certain."

Yoshiro looks up at Chrétien and chuckles a bit. His nerves at the time seemed eased after Akiko had comforted him following the maze, and the joke by the Frenchman. "Thank you, Chrétien-san. Maybe we are, but I have a feeling that this is true. I'm usually pretty lucky, so this seems to fit." He looks at Akiko and tugs on her arm. "This year, we'll have only good changes."

Koji nodded and asked for the card, and as Nadia turned it the Star is revealed. "Well well, it seems our athlete has been granted the gift of Hope and purpose. I suppose that means you'll lead Gosei High to victory in the next tournament." She chuckles a bit.

Koji grins. "Guess mine has more answers than anything else."

Nadia turns to Chrétien as Koji beams. A group of students are now crowding around waiting for their turn at the cards. "I would love to take the time to perform a full reading, Chrétien-san. If only time permitted at the moment." She pulls out 6 business cards and hands them to each. Interestingly enough, you find your arcana on each card. "If you would come to Dazai's Punks, I will be there from tomorrow on. In fact, I'm hoping all of you can come."

You hear many of the students making comments about taking too long. Seems the first group wants to know about their love life. "And that is about what most people will ask for, which makes your group interesting."

Arata stops looking at the card for a moment to ask a question of Nadia. "Nadia-san, has anyone come by asking about the weird rumors in town?"

Her eyes widen and she looks at them all. "If you mean the Persona game or the fog over Inaba, I'm afraid not. However, the homeroom teacher for 2-B did beat you all here to ask if her year would not repeat from way back. It's a regular occurrence with her at least, so I'm used to it." Nadia shrugs. "I think she would rather not see another school close down that way."

She relents and draws another card. "I suppose this next may give you some advice worth note. Though, I'd be interested in hearing about what you had seen." A smile crosses her lips as she draws the Tower. Her eyes narrow momentarily and she shakes her head.

"Who shuffled these....." She covers her face for a moment before looking back at the group. "It seems that there is to be an awakening of sorts, utter chaos, a full revelation, and an upheaval of everything you know to be true in the near future. In that case, while classes do start tomorrow for you all, please come and see me at your earliest convenience." Her tone is far more serious than before.

"Has something been calling to you?"

Arata and Yoshiro's eyes both widen, before they nod.

20. - Top - End - #50

OldWizardGuy

Koji sighs and walks over. Nadia smirks a bit and draws another, placing it in front of him facedown.

"It's fine, not everyone wants to know about change. Even if it is inevitable and something that makes sense with dorm life and school." She eyes Sakuma. "It's all a matter of how that change comes about. With you, it may well be to illuminate the truth of the world to others, while Akiko-chan's may very well be to cause that change herself. No one can know for certain."

Yoshiro looks up at Chrétien and chuckles a bit. His nerves at the time seemed eased after Akiko had comforted him following the maze, and the joke by the Frenchman. "Thank you, Chrétien-san. Maybe we are, but I have a feeling that this is true. I'm usually pretty lucky, so this seems to fit." He looks at Akiko and tugs on her arm. "This year, we'll have only good changes."

Koji nodded and asked for the card, and as Nadia turned it the Star is revealed. "Well well, it seems our athlete has been granted the gift of Hope and purpose. I suppose that means you'll lead Gosei High to victory in the next tournament." She chuckles a bit.

Koji grins. "Guess mine has more answers than anything else."

Nadia turns to Chrétien as Koji beams. A group of students are now crowding around waiting for their turn at the cards. "I would love to take the time to perform a full reading, Chrétien-san. If only time permitted at the moment." She pulls out 6 business cards and hands them to each. Interestingly enough, you find your arcana on each card. "If you would come to Dazai's Punks, I will be there from tomorrow on. In fact, I'm hoping all of you can come."

You hear many of the students making comments about taking too long. Seems the first group wants to know about their love life. "And that is about what most people will ask for, which makes your group interesting."

Arata stops looking at the card for a moment to ask a question of Nadia. "Nadia-san, has anyone come by asking about the weird rumors in town?"

Her eyes widen and she looks at them all. "If you mean the Persona game or the fog over Inaba, I'm afraid not. However, the homeroom teacher for 2-B did beat you all here to ask if her year would not repeat from way back. It's a regular occurrence with her at least, so I'm used to it." Nadia shrugs. "I think she would rather not see another school close down that way."

She relents and draws another card. "I suppose this next may give you some advice worth note. Though, I'd be interested in hearing about what you had seen." A smile crosses her lips as she draws the Tower. Her eyes narrow momentarily and she shakes her head.

"Who shuffled these....." She covers her face for a moment before looking back at the group. "It seems that there is to be an awakening of sorts, utter chaos, a full revelation, and an upheaval of everything you know to be true in the near future. In that case, while classes do start tomorrow for you all, please come and see me at your earliest convenience." Her tone is far more serious than before.

"Has something been calling to you?"

Arata and Yoshiro's eyes both widen, before they nod.
    “At the risk of sounding mad, someone has called me to serve,” Chrétien replies quietly, placing the card in his shirt pocket and inclining his head respectfully. He had wanted more and the appearance of his own suit on her business card seemed to answer that need and promise more to come.

“But if I am mad,” he added with a smile to his friends, “it appears I am in good company. I look forward to our next meeting, Nadia-san, and the enlightenment it may bring.”

21. - Top - End - #51

AssassinGuy

Festival End

It isn't long after you all see Nadia that the principal gives his speech. It's the usual stuff you would hear for an opening ceremony. Best wishes for the year and thanks to those who made the festival possible. The events of the day linger in your mind as everything occurs, and it's not long after he gives the mic to the police chief that you decide to make your way to the dorm and finish moving in.

"Please remember everyone, that we are in unprecedented times. We will be exacting a curfew over the next few weeks as there have been disappearances. I am sure everyone has heard, and while Gosei-Sensei did not cover this today, we will have special hotel rooms set for away games and conferences now. If you see anything out of the ordinary, please report it to one of my officers. While my area to protect is here in the city, police nationwide are working to solve these issues."

Murmurs are heard among the crowd.

"As many of you know, I come from Inaba. We had issues with a strange fog years back, and it seems to have returned. We have seen a rise in more people behaving far outside their norms as well. If you require help, be it medical, mental, or even just physical, do not hesitate to ask.

Later that night

It's roughly 11:00 pm. You have all gathered in the lounge of your dorm having been confronted with a strange event this morning, and now it weighs heavily on your mind. The only one missing is Koji who seems to be able to sleep entirely fine, though Yoshiro has asked if he could stay with you all tonight as his dormmates have not yet moved in.

Come to me.....

You each hear this call in your mind, similar to the call during the maze. As you each hold onto the card from Nadia, you notice an eerie glow that takes to a corner. It's different on each card as you look, but each leads in the same direction. Beckoning you to the basement storage area.

When you reach the bottom of the stairs, you see the area is clear, and your compass has now changed to show you another direction. This time away from each other to a corner in the room. Yoshiro is the only one left in the middle and his card brings him there.

As he takes his spot, you each feel a similar call in you, the words to say come as well. As though you already knew them. Arata looks at everyone before he starts up.

"Guess we've come this far, maybe it's a mass hallucination, but....." He gulps. "We may as well."

He starts walking towards Sakuma as he repeats the same words you all heard. "Persona, Persona, come unto me. For thou art I, my future self."

OOC: Sakuma gets to choose if Akiko or Chrétien are next in line, as it will end with Yoshiro.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Festival End:

Sakuma's attention wanders away from Gosei-Sensei's speech almost immediately, instead he replays the events of the day in his mind over and over again. Especially the High Strangeness of the Test of Courage... he'd kept his ears open the rest of the day, and hadn't seen or heard anyone else having such a... surreal experience.

He frowned, appearing to the casual observer to be completely locked in on Gosei-Sensei, arms and legs crossed, completely still.

He starts to rise from his seat as the principal concludes his speech, but plops right back down when the Police Chief takes the stage and begins to talk.

He has Sakuma's interest in earnest.

With each pronouncement, Sakuma feels that same unreal/too-real sensation from before, like he's watching events unfolding on someone else's life rather than his own.

Curfew?
    Missing people?
    The Fog?!

We go from nobody's even talking about this to the police chief giving an announcement during the move-in festival?

Something doesn't add up.

Later that night:

Sakuma sat holding his camera, reviewing the pictures he'd taken the day, discarding the ones that didn't meet his exacting standards. The voice in his head he only recognized from forgotten nightmares jolted him, causing him to fumble to keep from dumping his camera to the floor. He set it aside carefully.

His hands, seemingly of their own accord, retrieved the Tarot card he'd received earlier. That same marionette sensation continued as he heaved himself jerkily to his feet and shuffled after his suite-mates down to the basement.

Seeing in his mind's eye a clear picture of an investigator in a tan long-coat holding up a warding talisman against an onrushing, eldritch horror, Sakuma warded himself with the Tarot card, echoing Arata's movements, and speaks the words.

OOC: Chretien is next.

23. - Top - End - #53

OldWizardGuy

Later that night:
    Sakuma sat holding his camera, reviewing the pictures he'd taken the day, discarding the ones that didn't meet his exacting standards. The voice in his head he only recognized from forgotten nightmares jolted him, causing him to fumble to keep from dumping his camera to the floor. He set it aside carefully.

His hands, seemingly of their own accord, retrieved the Tarot card he'd received earlier. That same marionette sensation continued as he heaved himself jerkily to his feet and shuffled after his suite-mates down to the basement.

Seeing in his mind's eye a clear picture of an investigator in a tan long-coat holding up a warding talisman against an onrushing, eldritch horror, Sakuma warded himself with the Tarot card, echoing Arata's movements, and speaks the words.

OOC: Chretien is next.
    Chrétien knew the voice from his dreams and from earlier today.

He had been sitting with his friends, listening to their stories and their hints towards what had happened earlier in the day. They never spoke of it openly. Neither did he.

It felt too private — too particular — for him to raise it as a topic even if they had shared the experience of the maze and the reading.

The closest they had come to it was their answering one or two of his question about the police chiefs orders. It simply would not do to misunderstand them.

His mind, partially spent by the effort of using Japanese all day, had grown fuzzy before the voice beckoned him — snapping him fully awake if not entirely releasing him from a detached feeling.

Reaching into his shirt pocket, he drew the card out, matching the motion of his rising up out of his chair. He held the card before him, before holding it high enough for him to see.

The glow danced across the top of the card like faerie fire. But the peak hinted at a direction. As he turned towards the tip of the flame, it stood still as the card slid beneath it, pointing the way as unerringly as a compass.

Bemused by the enchantment, he followed his friends unquestioningly to the basement.

Duty was calling.

He waited as Arata and Sakuma began the strange initiatory ritual — for what else could it be but the entrance into a secret order of some sort. It had called them all.

As Sakuma approached, the Japanese caught in his throat. It felt wrong — not true to himself or his calling.

Mirroring the motions of the others, he approached Akiko, repeating the invocation.

Persona, Persona, viens à moi. Pour toi, je suis mon futur moi.

Spoiler: Next in line, please.
    Show
    OOC: Akiko is up!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

A curfew, Akiko thinks with a roll of her eyes. Does he really think that’s going to stop anyone?

Though it was interesting that they went from rumors to the police chief himself addressing them, instead of Gosei-sensei just making a quick announcement to alleviate any tensions in the student body. If anything, having the chief there had just made everyone more suspicious and frightened.

Later, back in the dorm, Akiko jolts and sighs as she sets aside her sketchpad and pen. The drawing of Kohaku she’d been working on was now ruined with a jagged black line of ink straight through the middle of his head.

Her hand pulls Nadia’s card out of her pocket as her legs carry her with the other down the basement. Akiko swallows her apprehension as Chrétien approaches her and speaks the incantation.

She looks at Yoshiro, trying to tell him with her eyes that everything was going to be okay, as she walks toward him, and says the words.

“Persona, Persona, come unto me. For thou art I, my future self.”

25. - Top - End - #55

AssassinGuy

Into the SHADOW WORLD!

Yoshiro looks around the room at the others in pure terror, though he seems to relax at Akiko's expression. Once she reaches his spot in the middle of the room, he nods and repeats the incantation.

"Persona, Persona, come unto me. for thou art I, my future self." Silence falls as he finishes, Yoshiro looks around again and shrugs. "Guess you were right, Akiko-senpai! Everything turned out al-"

Yoshiro is interrupted by the lights flickering, and you all hear the rush of wind inside the basement. You would also swear that you hear the sound of thunder right beside you.

Arata frantically looks around and runs to try and shield Yoshiro as a bolt of lightning seems to jump from the lights and hit him. Everyone is hit at least once, and Yoshiro tries to jump between one and Akiko. Everything goes black.

You all awaken to the voice from your dreams calling out to you once more, this time, giving you the name. You are back in the basement, but something feels off. Nothing electronic seems to work correctly.

Arata shakes his head and groans, looking at everyone. “Y-you guys all okay? What the **** was that?!”

Yoshiro groans and shudders as he gets up. “H-h-h-h-how are we even alive? Didn’t we get hit with lightning? INSIDE?!”

He freaks out and goes to shake Akiko’s shoulder, Arata rushes to Sakuma and Chrétien.

“Akiko-senpai! Are you okay?”

“Guys, c’mon, tell me you’re both still alive!”
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2024-03-30 at 05:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

There are Clues, and then there are Clues:
    Spoiler: A Voice in The Dark:
    Show

A deep, sonorous voice, like speaking from within a great bronze bell, called to him in the darkness. “If I be a monster, it be the one inside your own heart. Call us by name. I am Ferrous Veritas, the sword of truth, and Judgement shall be swift.”

Sakuma lifts his head from the ground, his eyes blurry. He blinks several times, clearing the flickering black dots from his vision. His ears were ringing. He gasps, remembering the electricity running across and through his body.

He flexes his fingers and stretches his legs… Okay… I seem to be able go move alright…

He places a hand to his throat, feeling for his pulse. A frenetic staccato against his fingertips, but steady.

He shook his head again and rubbed his eyes. The blurriness was clearing. His eyes settled on a fuzzy black object laying on the ground next to him. A gun, his gun. He rolled over with a groan onto his hands and knees and reached for the textured wood grips. It felt good, it felt right, like it was made for him. He slipped the pistol into the shoulder rig under his right arm, mostly hidden by his vest, and then pushed himself to his feet.

He managed to avoid staggering for more than a step. He pulled his phone from his pocket. It was dead. Probably fried by the lightning, go figure.

A chill ran up his back, thinking about the damage done to his poor camera.

Sakuma pinched the bridge of his nose and shakily headed for the stairs.

Waitaminute… I don’t own a gun

The thought evaporates, it was perfectly natural to have a weapon. The notion that he might not was absurd, he’d always had it.

“We need to get out of here, find help, we can’t be okay after that.” He says, putting one foot on the bottom step and grabbing the railing for support.

Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/Whatnot
    Show

Self-Imposed Knowledge roll on 'what to do when you've been struck by lightning' 7
    I decided in advance to treat Box Cars as calm, rational, knowledgeable self-diagnosis. A Strong hit would be a general inkling of what to do, a mixed success would be sort of a basic first-aid thing, and then a failure would be mild panic.

27. - Top - End - #57

OldWizardGuy

Chrétien Found himself on one knee, his head bowed and left hand resting on the gilded hilt of his rapier. It was an echo of the British Royal Armories’ Elizabethan Christus Imperat rapier. Even sheathed, however, he could feel it was different.

It was of him.

Rise, my champion.

His eyes were still recovering from the flashes of light and the electrical bolt that had struck him in the chest.

Arise, my champion.

He should be dead. An electrical arc like that should have stopped his heart.

You are under my protection so long as you serve me.

Dimly, he was aware of Arata-san’s concern for him and for the others.

His head tilted upward.

Superimposed over the reality around him, the afterimage of the Lady of the Lake hovered before him.

Based on the others’ reactions, only he could see her.

Serve me and through me your truest self shall be refined and revealed. Let your devotion to me inspire this fallen world. Make what you can of it complete by healing its hurts and opposing its injustices.

He stood, drew his sword, and saluted the fading image.

His…sword?

The brand glittered in the shifting light. Along the fuller, where Christus Imperat should be etched, was a different phrase: Domina de Lacu Imperat.

He glanced around the room, noting a look on Sakuma’s face that mirrored his own as he regarded a pistol in his hand.

Je suis….” He shook his head as he sheathed his rapier. “Sorry, Arata-san. The incident has unsettled me. I’m fine and I hope you are.”

He turned to Akiko. “And you, m’lady?”

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Awaken, a voice commands her. It was low and velvety, but held a core of steel. It would not be ignored any longer.

Akiko opens her eyes to find herself standing in a rolling field of tall grass and red flowers that seemed to be slightly see through, like they weren’t completely there. The sky above is a great black abyss, not even punctuated by the light of stars or the moon. It was eerily quiet. There were no birds, or cicadas, or noises from the city. Just the wind as it disturbed the thin blades of grass and the spectral flowers.

She looks to her left and sees the monster from her dreams. He was a tall man, dressed in a gray-purple suit and coat, with tapered leathery wings. Gloved hands with golden claws rest on a black cane in front of him. The being had no face, only curling horns, but she could tell that he was observing her with interest.

“Who are you?” she asks. He’d plagued her dreams ever since Yukine died, though the most he’d spoken to her was today, in the maze.

The man— demon, her gut insists— bends at the waist in a flourished bow. There are those that call me the Ruin Collector, he replies. Though he has no mouth, Akiko hears the words perfectly. You will learn my true name in time, young one. For now, return to your… friends. You do not belong here.

Akiko takes a great gasping breath as Yoshiro shakes her shoulder and bolts up into a seated position. Her heart races in her chest as she looks at her childhood friend and the exchange student.

“What… just happened?” she asks the two of them.

She felt tingly, on edge, but otherwise fine for having been presumably electrocuted. Unknown to her, Akiko’s right hand curls around the haft of a cruel axe.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-04-02 at 03:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

AssassinGuy

Yoshiro and Arata both sigh in relief as the others answer them.

Yoshiro speaks first to Akiko. "I..... don't know. Seems like everyone else got a change except for me."

Arata nods at Chrétien's qeustion. "I'm fine friend. Just, on edge now." Chrétien and Sakuma both see Arata shiver a bit. "That..... I have no idea what it was. But the sounds it made, what it pointed out....." He clutches the naginata at his feet.

"Sakuma is right though, we need to get out of here and find help. That lightning...... even being inside could have some lasting effect." Yoshiro nods in agreement and helps Akiko up before making his way upstairs.

As you all crest the first floor, you notice that all the lights are out. The tv that had been running the news is off, and the illumination given is granted through the moonlight filtering into the windows. It's much brighter than it had been. Yoshiro stops and gasps seeing the night sky.

"Guy's..... why is the sky red?" A blur races across the window, and he jumps again. "THE **** WAS THAT?!"

Spoiler: Notice, Proficiency
    Show

Spoiler: Success:
    Show
    That was not a squirrel, it almost looked like a small goblin.

Show
    Probably a cat.

Arata puts his free hand on Yoshiro's shoulder. "It's ok, probably just a squirrel or something. I hope anyway." He looks at the sky as well. "Guess we should chance finding the hospital, but now this just seems way too weird."

Yoshiro seems to pause for a long moment before nodding. "We should be able to make it outside and to the hospital quickly, but we'll need to go there directly. Seems like a lot of movement is happening so we may not be the only ones looking for help."

30. - Top - End - #60

OldWizardGuy

Yoshiro and Arata both sigh in relief as the others answer them.

Yoshiro speaks first to Akiko. "I..... don't know. Seems like everyone else got a change except for me."

Arata nods at Chrétien's qeustion. "I'm fine friend. Just, on edge now." Chrétien and Sakuma both see Arata shiver a bit. "That..... I have no idea what it was. But the sounds it made, what it pointed out....." He clutches the naginata at his feet.

"Sakuma is right though, we need to get out of here and find help. That lightning...... even being inside could have some lasting effect." Yoshiro nods in agreement and helps Akiko up before making his way upstairs.

As you all crest the first floor, you notice that all the lights are out. The tv that had been running the news is off, and the illumination given is granted through the moonlight filtering into the windows. It's much brighter than it had been. Yoshiro stops and gasps seeing the night sky.

"Guy's..... why is the sky red?" A blur races across the window, and he jumps again. "THE **** WAS THAT?!"

Spoiler: Notice, Proficiency
    Show

Spoiler: Success:
    Show
    That was not a squirrel, it almost looked like a small goblin.

Show
    Probably a cat.

Arata puts his free hand on Yoshiro's shoulder. "It's ok, probably just a squirrel or something. I hope anyway." He looks at the sky as well. "Guess we should chance finding the hospital, but now this just seems way too weird."

Yoshiro seems to pause for a long moment before nodding. "We should be able to make it outside and to the hospital quickly, but we'll need to go there directly. Seems like a lot of movement is happening so we may not be the only ones looking for help."

Spoiler: Mixed successes all around!
    Show
    Proficiency: 2d6+1 8

Chrétien saw the Goblin! I did not know they were tourists as well.

Knowledge: Tengu: 2d6 8

Chrétien knows a little about the Tengu!

“No, mes amis,” Chrétien replied quietly as he looked out the window. “That was a lutin, which I believe is not unlike your tengu — although what I know from them is somewhat sketchy.

He turned to face the room.

“If any of us were sailors, I would be happier with our situation than I am.”

“Somehow, I do not think TV5Monde will be available,” Chrétien quipped as he walked to the television, “but if we can find the news, there may be a more comforting explanation for our situation than mass hysteria.

He attempted to turn the television on.

“I, for one, am inclined to believe in m’lady,” he said reverently, “and to embrace my calling. But it would be prudent to confirm.”

Chrétien frowned as the television did not respond.

“Would you prefer to believe your eyes that we have crossed into another Otherworld, mes amis, or would you prefer to cling to the thought that the electrical arc damaged the television?”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2024-04-07 at 08:41 PM.