New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Empire 8: Arkhive Banquet

Let no one accuse a pirate of being punctual. Especially not the individual most resembling what would in other countries be by all rights the head of state: the Captain of the Black Cloud Coalition herself, Jié Měifēng, and the small entourage of crewmates that accompanied her as she descended the exit ramp from their perfectly parked...armed transport was the classification which had been reported to Arkhive authorities, though the personnel now taking stock of the number of weapon systems the ship seemed to be positively dripping with appeared to find this doubtful.

"Chilly, isn't it, Cap'n?"

Let no one accuse a pirate of being boring. As the group approached the entrance, most unhooked their face masks, revealing the pressure seal marks from decades of habitual wear long since worn into their skin - or in some cases, the mechanical grooves where the machinery locked into their facial restructuring. All carried sidearms - not that leaving them behind would have made a difference. All wore their hair - or pseudo-hair - in what could be generously called 'unconventional' styles. All wore heavy coats, on which were emblazoned personal symbols, stylized images, holographic designs, and other individuating features; all of these having been added only in the past month on the journey here. The barest glint of chrome peaked out from behind those heavy coats as the crew swaggered and joked around their silent captain. Intricate corners of what must be torso-covering tattoos creep from behind collars, and the false circuitry of dimly glowing subdermal implants hints at aesthetic preferences towards showing off even the more subtle cybernetics among them. Even the Little Queen's eyes are a gunmetal black in their sclera, though the faint glow of her multicolored irises is lost in the glare of the light.

"'Course it's ****ing 'chilly', Li, we're in Sansar's frozen *******, what did you expect?"

"Well 'scuse me for tryin' to make small talk to keep our minds off it, sir officer Wen sir. Would you rather I busy myself thawing the pipe shoved up yours?"

"Shut it, both of you. We're talking for more than ourselves here for once. If you can't keep your jaws shut when they need to be on your own, I'll ask Doc to help out and replace your teeth with magnets."

Let no one accuse a pirate of being ignorant. Forward reconnaissance drones with directional mics, infrared cameras, and LADAR imaging had been letting them keep tabs for days leading up to the event while en route, and ZhiZhi had been collating the information the rest of their PEEARITs had been recording to provide reports on the events to the crew. The Emperor may have made the Coalition elect, but he'd also raised up a lot of petty tyrants and some real psychos alongside them. Any old group with some modicum of stability and ambition had been eligible, it seemed. Meifeng herself hoped to find opportunities and allies across the system while here - they'd outlasted the retaliation of Badal's best and blandest, but her code-heads told her that word on the InterPlaNet was that there were some folks out there that wouldn't hesitate to send entire habitats to the loving embrace of the surface to revenge presumed slights - and that a lot of crews would take that as a challenge instead of a warning, given how well they'd done in the Cloud Sea. She'd need to find like-minded warlords for logistical bases in farther orbits, and suitable targets to cut their teeth on.

Coalition captain Jie Meifeng - the only one to have left her coat unadorned save for the Skull, Sky, and Stars of the Coalition spray-painted across the back - took off the heavy synthetic wool and pseudo-leather garment as she entered the building, revealing the provocative scarlet dress she wore beneath - and the gleaming, articulated chrome muscle-plating stretching across almost her entire upper torso, including both arms, and slit up the left flank to better display the fully artificial leg on that side. The dull glow of golden bleedtats splaying out from ZhiZhi's hardcase at the base of her skull only reinforced the effect as she stretched out the artificial muscles (how was it that they still got sore, anyway?). It had been her brother's idea to show off like this.

After all - who needed armor with a body like this?
    Last edited by Rolepgeek; 2024-02-06 at 04:16 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

@Volthawk, @Corona
    Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    When she sees the two she's talking with get agitated with each other, Scorcha decides to not agitate things or smooth them over, but to merely let it play out. Both countries were ones she had cause to be concerned over, after all, and if they ended up at each other's throats, all of their own volition...well, she couldn't complain about that at all. Still, it was leading to a lot of tidbits of information that might be quite useful in the future. That said, some matters did require further discussion.

"Ah yes, I'd heard a little about those efforts in the north. If that's what they wish, I suppose there's not much more to say there - I hope it goes well. Now, beyond that...your people were chosen in ordero to explore Tekhum? Interesting - I noticed that most of Zabava has not been described in the information I have access to. I suppose rectifying that is part of your remit, yes? Although not in the interest of conquering the territory for yourselves, naturally, lest anyone draw parralels to this old regime you've mentioned."
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sladkor nods and raises his eyebrows as Hinrik indicates huge, mostly unknown areas of land on the map. "We share your concerns about outworlders like these, and we will work to prevent undesirable interactions, intentional or unintentional on their part. Though given that there is a sizable number of the Elect on Sansar, we can pick our allies in doing so. It is possible to protect Sansar without annexing all of the non-Elect nations, or at least it is worth trying. If the Khylokians can be Elect, there are civilized nations among the non-Elect."

The Kanite diplomat doesn't let on if he was offended. He merely looks away for a while, perhaps to mentally note to make a reprisal against Hinrik at a later date.

"I would hardly call the lack of a drive to subjugate others apathy. Everyone has their role to play - and I would be surprised if you told me the elves don't believe this, considering your society is hiearchically structured to such a degree - if the role we're to play is that of pawns, then we shall accept it wholeheartedly and without reservations."
    Hinrik simply shrugs. "As they say: the more, the merrier. I'll leave you two to your own business for the time being, but I'd like to make a brief recommendation. Upon reaching the end of the board, no moves left, the pawn's ultimate strength is its adaptability. The humblest of pieces can still be destined for great things, given the right moves. I desire success and strength for every state on Sansar, as long as yours flourishes I feel that we will both be happy men."

The elf holds out his biological hand to the Kanite as an invitation to shake; regardless of the response, he turns to Scorcha to deliver the second farewell. "I wish your father luck with his expedition, and good fortune in all of your endeavors. You are welcome in Verdalfheim at any time, and perhaps we'll have more to discuss at a later date as our situations evolve." He repeats the same handshake offer as with Scorcha and, upon the conclusion of this act, departs from the clique.

@MrHeadcrab
    Amidst some lull in the conversation, the double-trio of Durats that comprises the Head Professor/Librarian of Technology is approached by the quiet wheelchair of Hekla dei Fiori, a kindly expression resting upon a face obviously unaccustomed to such pleasure. "Pardon me for contributing to what is no doubt a cacophony at this point, but I must thank you for your role in resolving the recent crisis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're a native of Burtzlund, correct? Durat, to be precise?" Her positive demeanor cannot disguise the fact that her questions are entirely rhetorical, there can be absolutely no mistake as to the nature of such a uniquely bizarre collection of life forms. For what it's worth, there is no disdain in the way her gaze passes between the individual Durats, simply the amused curiosity of one reading a novel text. "I must say, you have left me with an extremely favorable first impression of Verdalfheim's eastern neighbors. The rumors of your technological prowess were not overstated."

@DKArthas
    Towards the end of the festivities, Hinrik dei Fiori finally decides that it is time to address the trade question. He was more than happy to compromise with adherents to contradictory ideologies in the pursuit of international cooperation, but the hardline revolutionary disposition of the Fomorians seemed like a recipe for rejection. He surveys the sky-blue-clad Cathal Oirbsiu from a far corner of the party for a couple minutes before approaching the Sovereign Protector, working up a dignified smile as he approaches. "Greetings. My name is Hinrik dei Fiori, representative of the Principality of Verdalfheim." He makes an intentional effort to excise all references to lineage and rank from his introduction, presenting himself as a man of office first and foremost. "The festivities appear to be drawing to a close, so I won't waste much time. It has come to my attention that your country possesses impressive reserves of a 'fell iron,' a resource which would be of great interest to my people, while lacking in access to fuel for the engines used in its extraction. Our country is home to great oil reserves, likely the most productive yet discovered on this planet. I feel that there is ground for a natural economic relationship to blossom between our two powers, should you be interested in such a transaction."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

The queen in black looks over at the arriving pirates, led by their captain in red and chrome. "Well, here's someone who knows how to make an entrance." A short gesture to a nearby functionary - one of the hardier of courage who remained - brings up a display to show what is known regarding the symbol and appearance of this crew. Queen Ebonne takes a brief glance to get the barest idea who she is about to address, but doesn't wait long before approaching, with a stride that leaves the functionary hurrying to keep up.

Her greeting is accompanied by a genuine smile, a hint of pearl-white teeth behind dark-stained lips. "We had not expected this event to be graced by representatives of the Coalition. We are pleased to see otherwise, and must say you certainly draw the eye."
    Last edited by Frostwander; 2024-02-07 at 04:53 PM.
    "It is in the compelling zest of high adventure and of victory, and in creative action, that man finds his supreme joys."
    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Empire! 6 - The Vygra Confluence
    Empire! 7 - Costa Sereia
    Empire! 8 - Caipe Ushere

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nautical Themes

"I don't believe I've had the pleasure of your company before..."

Spoiler: ZhiZhi
    Show
    > she's from Caipe Ushere: (Sansar) queendom; her name's one of those long-ass royal ones you won't remember right now anyway but the important bits are Chalise (first name), Ebonne (palace name), or d'Laforét (original family), take your pick
    > oh huh so she might be one of the better - well, less bad - queens: married a prince, who died a king, left her in charge
    > still from a wine family though so if she isn't drinking she's probably not fun but we both know you're the better judge of that eh?

"...Queen Chalise. You are far too kind to accuse simple pirates of anything so civilized as grace," the captain continues, a wry smile spilling across her face like bloodstained oil as her eyes scan the Queen a second time. "But I have never been one for false modesty, so I will gladly take the compliment. You cut quite the figure yourself, one must admit - it's gratifying to know I did not come overdressed."

The woman smirks as her digital companion informs her of the chatter relayed by the rest of the crews' partners, glancing briefly over before slowly shifting to saunter away from the chill of the entrance, apparently expecting her new royal company to do the same.

"By the stares of my crewmembers I imagine we must make quite a pair, and if my only accomplishment tonight were to be distracting every other attending would-be warlord in Tekhum from getting anything done I would count it quite the night, so if you wouldn't mind continuing to grace us with your company, Lady d'Laforét, I would be much obliged," Meifeng says, turning to slyly wink at her first intercourse partner of the night between scans of the crowd of dignitaries and other assorted ne'erdowells.
    Last edited by Rolepgeek; 2024-02-07 at 03:08 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: A Badalian Crisis Comparison ??Later??
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Murgen View Post
    That pulled them away. "Dammit! We should have offered our help. We could have been shielding the poor fellow" They told their companion, who responded "But it would have been hard to maintain a mesh-link to the space around them" Quinn nodded gravely. "Still, we must apologize to Illustrated Prime Marcus."

Senior Advisor Quinn quickly summoned all their companions. Offering their aid, they made contact with the table. As others rushed in, the team quickly ensured proper grounding between the table and the device, pushing away any potential stray electrical source. Another confirmed what the Jy.Mar had said, and began mentally monitoring the internal workings to ensure stability. Quinn themselves altered the air pocket under the table, creating a stable pressure differential that reduced the overall weight by roughly 19.43%. Together, they filed out with the bomb, missing the talk among the Senior Diplomats

Later, to the Jy'mar
    Quinn approached Illustrated Prime Marcus once again, after all has calmed down. "Your technician was quite brave. And quite skilled. He? is an honor to your people. I hope he is recovering. UNNCLE apologizes for not being able to assist more readily. He? acted so quickly we couldn't offer our EM shielding Prowess." They sighed regretfully.
    But quickly moved on. "And I was informed there was a diplomatic... jousting I missed as well. You should feel assured that a threat we in UNNCLE see a threat to one Badalian Aerostat is a potential threat to all aerostats."

Some time after the crisis calmed down Quinn and Marcus found them talking over a drink, fellow Baladian to Baldalian. "Ah, a shame my Team lead did not have time to notice your people's presence, that would have aided Occam on his attempt through the device. I hear he is recovering well, nothing life threatening and with some of the new technologies shared at this convention we may be able to save his tail fully. It is gratifying to see different nations of the Elite all react together, and not just those of us who have to work together to survive."

Taking a sip of some kind of honey flavored drink served by the Arkhive Marcus carries on.

"Speaking of threats to Badal, what say you about our other neighbors - I hear.. and saw.. the entrance of this Black Cloud Coalition Captain, personally they haven't seen like more than petty raiders preying on the weak convoys of Badal. What is your assessment of them? My Console intends to invite them, as well as yourselves, to a showcase of ability in a few years but I am not certain myself."

Spoiler: A Conversation on Death
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHeadcrab View Post
    Spoiler: JBarca - The very very very brave
    Show
    At Illustrated Prime Marcus' words, the Khylokian delegate seems pleased.

"Eight of my crew died on the journey here, and I consider that a blessing. When death comes easy, it doesn't pay to fret."

She shrugs. "Death is death. All you can do is take what you can before then from those that don't grasp the way things work. Fearing death, running from it, fighting it? What kind of life is that in the first place?"

"Only those who's legacy is guaranteed by their people are afforded the luxury to welcome death. Your security is a credit to your culture. Though, some here do suffer from the fear of death. It would likely benefit diplomatic efforts to avoid terrifying them, unless terror is your goal." The Exalted Pod approaches the Khylokians in high spirits, perhaps even impressed by their audacity.

Marcus nods as the Khylokian delegate responds in the affirmative, and then the follow up by the Exalted Pod.

"Death is death. This is a statement we can get behind as a people, comparing death to a luxury seems.. disrespectful of the sacrifice of the many. No offense to the Exalted Pod, death sometimes is a required sacrifice to ensure the many survive. Welcoming death without reckless abandon when it is required, when the stakes are high is something all people should embrace. It does seem people still fear death as something that can be avoided - I think it is better to embrace that your death is already imminent, then can you not live more in the moment and embrace living fully without the fear of death hanging over you as a specter. I do hope people continue to talk about this demonstration and think critically on how they view life."

Spoiler: What is a Coedd
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kythia View Post
    There's a rapid series of beeps from the analyser and Padraig draws a deep breath. "OK. So. I think that 'rock one' must be Badal, it's the only thing I can think of that makes sense in context. Assuming I'm right...OK. Coedd agrees that Badal is, errr, I guess you'd say 'vegtetation poor' or something. She...ah, bloody subjunctives...she would send herself to work on your plants but she doesn't think you want Coedd in...what would that be...in your lands. She, oh, this is rare, she wishes you to send representatives to meet with her in the island of Coedd, Coedd-Island. To talk about Coedd on Badal and the Illuminated Utopians in Sansar. To avoid competition - errr, you have to realise Coedd thinks very negatively of competition. By their very nature they like things working in harmony. So that's 'competition' in the sense of 'conflict' really. Yes. She is inviting a delegation. Some time in the next few years."

Prime Marcus nods carefully at Padraig before responding.
    "It would be my honor to attend Coedd in her home to discuss further about 'competition' or the boundaries there-in. Our beliefs are centered on the improvement of the individual on their own paths through life, I am not as well informed about Coedd and her majesty so it would be prudent for us to have a cultural exchange. Please let me know of times and places and I will discuss with my Console and the Triumvirate if I am able to attend as a representative.
    Last edited by SerakHawk; 2024-02-07 at 03:13 PM.
    Something uniquely pithy, while remaining profound

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Black and Red
    The Usheret queen steps smoothly in pace with the captain. The cavalier remains a respectful distance behind as they begin a lazy circuit around the park. "If we thought you were 'simple' pirates, we wouldn't have bothered. But then, how often does a queen get to have a conversation with a pirate on level footing in a setting such as this, Captain Jié?"

Chalise notes the use of her first name and returns that familiarity in kind with a bemused expression. The latter address retains the smile, but with a deep crease to her brow. She chides softly, dropping the royal pronouns for a fleeting moment, "Please, captain, I haven't been 'Lady d'Laforét' since I was eighteen and wed. I'm now an aged widow with children.

"We must express some curiousity what brings you here. Pirates, of course, enjoy a good party; this is rather a long way to come if there were not something more specific of interest."
    "It is in the compelling zest of high adventure and of victory, and in creative action, that man finds his supreme joys."
    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Empire! 6 - The Vygra Confluence
    Empire! 7 - Costa Sereia
    Empire! 8 - Caipe Ushere

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Late to the Party
    "My calculations indicate..." The dwarf punches several digits into a calculator mounted on his spacesuit bracer, "...we will not be present nearly long enough for humidity to become a threat." That answers one question. "Dr. Horace Thorn. I'm here for the technical exchange." He ejects a drive from his bracer. "As a token of goodwill, this contains blueprints for our fusion drives, as well as some of our history for your vaults."

Fortune Telling
    The offer of fortune telling provokes a possibly unexpected response from the dwarven leader. "No. I don't need magic. I get my answers from science." He laughs coldly. "I'm hardly involved in the mining, so I doubt I'll find any ore myself, I most likely won't rule any country, and I have better things to do than waste my time with mystical claptrap."
    "Boss... diplomacy?"
    "I'm an engineer, not a wizard! What do you want me to do, play along with this farce?"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hinrik simply shrugs. "As they say: the more, the merrier. I'll leave you two to your own business for the time being, but I'd like to make a brief recommendation. Upon reaching the end of the board, no moves left, the pawn's ultimate strength is its adaptability. The humblest of pieces can still be destined for great things, given the right moves. I desire success and strength for every state on Sansar, as long as yours flourishes I feel that we will both be happy men."
    "Reach the end of the board?" The small girl states in a corner, scooping more food to her mouth, while the delegation of the purifiers sits quietly in a moment of relaxation and listens in on different conversations without current interruption. "Adaptability without movement? Sounds strange, but oddly doable. What's this mean?"

The queen smiles, and rubs her temples. "I'll be honest, I haven't the faintest idea."

Another of their friends chimes in, raising an eyebrow. "I've heard of this, I think. The old scrap salvage from the ancient ones has something installed called Chonkia -" And then she makes a hissing sound, a lot of SSSSssssssssssss. "It's a side function of the elder devices. I admit... I don't know what the devil it has to do with the White delegation."

"Cultural intrigue aside, it's time to do a little more diplomacy work. Excuse me." The woman steps up and out, slinking away from the feast to go find somebody to discuss with.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2024-02-07 at 06:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler: eavesdropping on kids, for shame!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    "Reach the end of the board?" The small girl states in a corner, scooping more food to her mouth, while the delegation of the purifiers sits quietly in a moment of relaxation and listens in on different conversations without current interruption. "Adaptability without movement? Sounds strange, but oddly doable. What's this mean?"

The queen smiles, and rubs her temples. "I'll be honest, I haven't the faintest idea."

Another of their friends chimes in, raising an eyebrow. "I've heard of this, I think. The old scrap salvage from the ancient ones has something installed called Chonkia -" And then she makes a hissing sound, a lot of SSSSssssssssssss. "It's a side function of the elder devices. I admit... I don't know what the devil it has to do with the White delegation."

"Cultural intrigue aside, it's time to do a little more diplomacy work. Excuse me." The woman steps up and out, slinking away from the feast to go find somebody to discuss with.

The Glic Delegation, realizing they should make more diplomatic overtures, if only to disguise their nascent pact with the Biarbu a little longer, sends their Herald to the strange little girl. Humans live shorter lives than Glix, but, paradoxically, take longer to mature than Workers, almost as long as Queens. The Glix, therefore, have trouble parsing the presence of an immature Human, and choose to ignore her youth.

"She who is called The Hammer sends her greetings. It is interesting you discuss the idea of Adaptation Without Motion, for that is the key to Lepkashramov, the sculpting of scars in reality through the use of metal."
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2024-02-07 at 08:24 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

The Glic Delegation, realizing they should make more diplomatic overtures, if only to disguise their nascent pact with the Biarbu a little longer, sends their Herald to the strange little girl. Humans live shorter lives than Glix, but, paradoxically, take longer to mature than Workers, almost as long as Queens. The Glix, therefore, have trouble parsing the presence of an immature Human, and choose to ignore her youth.

"She who is called The Hammer sends her greetings. It is interesting you discuss the idea of Adaptation Without Motion, for that is the key to Lepkashramov, the sculpting of scars in reality through the use of metal."
    The little girl in the gender duality clothes looked up with mild curiosity, and then stronger fascination as the herald speaks. The other taller person, meanwhile, looks down and smirks with a slight comment. "Heh. You think we should tell Serenity that the Ham-" "Ssh~ This one understands." "... what?"

The little girl wears this wide grin, climbing up onto the table to stand on it, able to get full eye to eye height this way even if it does look a little absurd. "Yes, the power of gears and architects. Things anchored to reality, works that warp the world. Fascinating. Is the Hammer with you, either in immediate proximity or at the meeting? It's a pleasure regardless."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The little girl in the gender duality clothes looked up with mild curiosity, and then stronger fascination as the herald speaks. The other taller person, meanwhile, looks down and smirks with a slight comment. "Heh. You think we should tell Serenity that the Ham-" "Ssh~ This one understands." "... what?"

The little girl wears this wide grin, climbing up onto the table to stand on it, able to get full eye to eye height this way even if it does look a little absurd. "Yes, the power of gears and architects. Things anchored to reality, works that warp the world. Fascinating. Is the Hammer with you, either in immediate proximity or at the meeting? It's a pleasure regardless."

The Herald reduces his hovering to meet the girl eye-to-eye. Even the small human is bigger than him, almost as much as an adult human smaller than a Queen. "The Hammer is the title of our Queen, for she is a mighty telekinetic. She is with our delegation, but she is also in my mind. That is what a Herald does, he goes places for Queens and lets them use his senses and voice."
    GNU Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #102

Spoiler
    Show
    The Herald reduces his hovering to meet the girl eye-to-eye. Even the small human is bigger than him, almost as much as an adult human smaller than a Queen. "The Hammer is the title of our Queen, for she is a mighty telekinetic. She is with our delegation, but she is also in my mind. That is what a Herald does, he goes places for Queens and lets them use his senses and voice."
    "... like a hivemind? But yes, it is nice to speak to her too, hello." The girl is cheerful, and gives a wave. "Is there anything specific, business wise or just plain fun chatter you'd like to discuss? Negotiations can often start with the simplest of sparks. ... also, how big a telekinetic are we talking? Hammer metal? Crack mountains? You mentioned metal shaping... scarring... hm. Is scarring a specific technique?"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[
    Spoiler: Epinephrine_Syn
    Show
    QUOTE=Epinephrine_Syn;25960163]"... like a hivemind? But yes, it is nice to speak to her too, hello." The girl is cheerful, and gives a wave. "Is there anything specific, business wise or just plain fun chatter you'd like to discuss? Negotiations can often start with the simplest of sparks. ... also, how big a telekinetic are we talking? Hammer metal? Crack mountains? You mentioned metal shaping... scarring... hm. Is scarring a specific technique?"[/QUOTE]

The Herald looks shocked. Oh, no! We are all of us individuals. We would be willing to talk business, we have interests in expanding trade in a few years. In seven years, more Queens will be born, and they will need new Basilica Ships to live in and new farms to support the Workers they will one day give birth to.

As for her unique capabilities, she has cracked stones the size of mountains, for she is great. Most Queens and virtually no Workers have her gift. Admittedly, her gifts can be replicated by lepkashramov. That is our unique science, one we are sharing with the Arkhive. A sculpture of two kinds of metal can be used to wound reality to make something new true in a field around it. A supple mind can then guide it usefully. Anyone can use an Lepkashramov Ikon, at least a modern one, but the earliest took telepathy or touch to activate, and that isn't always safe or marketable. So we now package exports with a companion piece that lets any user guide the main Ikon."
    GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It occurred to Senior Advisor that they had completely forgotten about the young Priestess until started sending her adjutants to drum up business. The Kanites were on the list of high-value contacts given to them by the Board. Human, or nearly so. Hairless, whether by choice or happenstance, and cranial plates. Could they possess a form of naturally occuring biomesh? what little is known about their history and Faith indicate some evidence of either branching or co-evolution.

Waiting in line patiently She greeted the younger woman "Greetings, Priestess Tanchitsa. I am Senior Advisor Quinn Emery Kai Rene of The United Neural Networks Confounding Limitless Exigency, commonly referred to as UNNCLE. I have a great interest in what your abilities" the advisore made a cutting motion in the air at the word. Their voice took on a brief harmonic across 3 full octaves. "make of myself and ours."

The priestess shoves her plate aside gently and has the purple pillow with the wooden box put in its place. "Gladly, I will divine the your fate."

She makes deliberate circling motions over the box, then raises it to her brow and to the heavens, all the while chanting rhytmic syllables: "Kush-taa, vaa min, kush-taa..." Her attendants join her - quietly so that their voices meld into hers and reinforce it, rather than overwhelming it. They also play simple, ancient three-stringed kotos and jingles. She claps with two fingers curled, sprinkles some salt on the top of the box. The box then, as if it knew the right time to do so, vibrates nine times, destroying and creating patterns in the salt. When the box finishes, Tanchitsa peers closely at the salt grains, careful not to disturb them. She looks up and tells Quinn in a solemn voice: "Hear the will of heaven: You will wander among the stars, never quite managing to settle down. This is both a curse and a blessing; you will be the first to stumble into an unknown recess of Tekhum. Bring a single loyal companion, for only with help you can overcome the dangers awaiting you.""

She pauses, unsure if she should reveal more, but Quinn seems to be good-humored, so she continues. "There is another matter that your inquiry did not pertain to, but I shall tell you regardless, as it is my primary duty: you are not eligible to lead Kan. I'm certain we will have friendly relations with UNNCLE all the same, and UNNCLE can apply with another candidate if desired.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Badalian Banter
    Quote Originally Posted by SerakHawk View Post
    "Speaking of threats to Badal, what say you about our other neighbors - I hear.. and saw.. the entrance of this Black Cloud Coalition Captain, personally they haven't seen like more than petty raiders preying on the weak convoys of Badal. What is your assessment of them? My Console intends to invite them, as well as yourselves, to a showcase of ability in a few years but I am not certain myself."
    Quinn took a sip of... something. They had stopped paying attention some time ago. "Pirates and raiders have been a minor problem for ages. Another group organizing under some brute with delusions of grandeur is not surprising." They leaned in a little closer, lowering their tone. A complicated series of gestures with their hands, and the background noise of the banquet faded away, leaving a dull, persistent hum. "What is surprising is the Emperor's choice to make them Exalted. Our External Affairs Department is speculating that the Coalition will be used to weaken the rest of us. So we will turn to the Empire for direct, and costly, aid. "

Divination with Presentation!
    T
    She pauses, unsure if she should reveal more, but Quinn seems to be good-humored, so she continues. "There is another matter that your inquiry did not pertain to, but I shall tell you regardless, as it is my primary duty: you are not eligible to lead Kan. I'm certain we will have friendly relations with UNNCLE all the same, and UNNCLE can apply with another candidate if desired.
    Quinn smiled. The nature of the fortune telling was clear to them. Simple sociological assessments disguised as mentalism. It is almost a shame, they had been hoping for some indication of probabilistic sensitivity. THAT would be a find. She nodded politely. "I thank you for your divination, Priestess. I will consider your words most carefully. Fortunately for me, my path is not one of leadership, but of Prowess. My position as Senior Advisor is my duty to the Board. Uplifting my Prowess is my life-long goal."

16. - Top - End - #106

MIDROUND SUMMARY
    Spoiler: Points
    Show
    APIS Midround Summary

Gifted techs:
    ARK (Host): Xenolinguistics
    BAF: Nuclear Fusion
    BCC: Badalian Megadirigibles and Algorithmic Imagination
    BRB: Algorithmic Imagination
    CER: Arcane Amplification
    CUS: Arcane Amplification
    DIC: Nuclear Fusion
    ELD: In Vivo Modification
    ETH: Arcane Amplification
    GCC: Arcane Amplification
    ILU: Aclaustrophobic Psychiatry
    KRB: Nuke Fusion
    LSP: Arcane Amplification
    RAT: Aclaustrophobic Psychiatry
    TEA: In Vivo Modification
    UHS: In Vivo Modification

(Note: UNC does not share their Arcane Amplification, but does indicate that it may do so with coreligionists in the future)

Explicit Acceptance of Nonaggression (and thus Membership). You are all held to have library cards and the Arkhive Will Not be able to act against you:
    BAF (Visiting)
    ELD (Local)
    ILU (Visiting)
    WTP (Local)
    LSP (Visiting)
    UNC (Visiting)

Note: This kinda deal will also apply to:
    COE
    despite not actually having a deal with them. It's goddess stuff.

Unsubmitted Works:
    I ignored action fluff for the most part, but consider if you have any you're proud of and can easily convert.
    BAF: Untitled Mytho-Historical Date Gathering text
    COE: So much writing, but not submitted in any particular categories (yet). I know I have to dig up your sacred site description and publish it and credit it somehow.
    ELD: A Sealga's Guide isn't out yet
    GCC: Untitled Mytho-Historical Date Gathering text
    GLO: What We're Telling Them Zelfs Are
    RRE: News&Rumors section is a solid modern history

TOTALS:
    BCC 7 (4 tech + 1 Literature + 1 Theology +1 Pilgrim)
    ILU 6 (2 tech + 1 Literature + 1 History + 1 Theological + 1 Researcher)
    LSP 6 (2 tech + 1 Literature + 1 History + 1 Philisophy + 1 Pilgrim)
    ELD 5 (2 tech + 1 Literature + 1 Mythology + 1 Influx)
    GCC 3 (2 tech + 1 history)
    BAF 2 (2 tech)
    BRB 2 (2 tech)
    CER 2 (2 tech)
    CUS 2 (2 tech)
    DIC 2 (2 tech)
    ETH 2 (2 tech)
    KRB 2 (2 tech)
    TEA 2 (2 tech)
    UHS 2 (2 tech)
    RAT 2 (2 tech)

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian View Post
    ”Ah. I suppose we could have played hard to get, Your Majesty—but, such a thing would be against our interests, as fun as it might have been. One of the Alliance’s many goals has always been that of furthering our people through the pursuit of science.. Both metaphorically, and literally. How aggressively twee it would be to hold back now.” She chuckled, and seemed to weigh the proposal for a moment.

”Excitement is what we hoped for, Your Majesty. Polyphemus is more than welcome. If he could give a list of accommodations that would be required to make his stay comfortable, we will gladly oblige within reason. I would also ask that any assistants or peers are limited to a smaller team. My civil engineers can run the exact numbers based on your needs and available space.”
    The queen smiles. "I hope this can lead to a close alliance between our peoples. I believe Polyphemus is prepared to come alone, but I'll see to it that all relevant information is made available to you as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolepgeek View Post
    Coalition captain Jie Meifeng - the only one to have left her coat unadorned save for the Skull, Sky, and Stars of the Coalition spray-painted across the back - took off the heavy synthetic wool and pseudo-leather garment as she entered the building, revealing the provocative scarlet dress she wore beneath - and the gleaming, articulated chrome muscle-plating stretching across almost her entire upper torso, including both arms, and slit up the left flank to better display the fully artificial leg on that side. The dull glow of golden bleedtats splaying out from ZhiZhi's hardcase at the base of her skull only reinforced the effect as she stretched out the artificial muscles (how was it that they still got sore, anyway?). It had been her brother's idea to show off like this.

After all - who needed armor with a body like this?
    The Queen of the Arkhive, Constance of Comment the First, hurries to greet the captain as soon as possible. She smiles widely, hoping against hope that this, of all her diplomacy tonight, produces peace.

"Captain! It is a true honor to play host to your noble delegation sent across the great void. You honor us to visit our conference, and we hope you can eat heartily, drink deeply, and enjoy the technological wonders we have all worked together to bring together. I hope your journey was pleasant?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Torv View Post
    What even is an Empire game without using the Rebel Leader rules?

17. - Top - End - #107

Spoiler
    Show

The Herald looks shocked. Oh, no! We are all of us individuals. We would be willing to talk business, we have interests in expanding trade in a few years. In seven years, more Queens will be born, and they will need new Basilica Ships to live in and new farms to support the Workers they will one day give birth to.

As for her unique capabilities, she has cracked stones the size of mountains, for she is great. Most Queens and virtually no Workers have her gift. Admittedly, her gifts can be replicated by lepkashramov. That is our unique science, one we are sharing with the Arkhive. A sculpture of two kinds of metal can be used to wound reality to make something new true in a field around it. A supple mind can then guide it usefully. Anyone can use an Lepkashramov Ikon, at least a modern one, but the earliest took telepathy or touch to activate, and that isn't always safe or marketable. So we now package exports with a companion piece that lets any user guide the main Ikon."
    The little girl was nodding furiously, and some part through she had started to pull something out of her pocket. The older one, able to stand at the same height but not on the table, grabbed her wrist, shaking her head, making Titania seem very confused. Still, she listened to the technology and sounded cheerful afterwards.

"I quite look forwards to seeing the full force of it in action. Sounds incredibly useful on both counts. I'll have to eventually get some of those telekinetic ions for projects back home." "Now you said you were willing to talk business, I'm curious what you had in mind. The beginnings of your approach sound either like you had previously contacted Serenity or that you had a specific deal in mind."

The smaller girls mental orientation shifts, staring at her friend, but then breaking out into a soft grin. "That's right. No pressure if not, but my curiosity grows."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler: earlier
    Show
    The little girl was nodding furiously, and some part through she had started to pull something out of her pocket. The older one, able to stand at the same height but not on the table, grabbed her wrist, shaking her head, making Titania seem very confused. Still, she listened to the technology and sounded cheerful afterwards.

"I quite look forwards to seeing the full force of it in action. Sounds incredibly useful on both counts. I'll have to eventually get some of those telekinetic ions for projects back home." "Now you said you were willing to talk business, I'm curious what you had in mind. The beginnings of your approach sound either like you had previously contacted Serenity or that you had a specific deal in mind."

The smaller girls mental orientation shifts, staring at her friend, but then breaking out into a soft grin. "That's right. No pressure if not, but my curiosity grows."

If you would be interested in such machines, we are willing to put in a word to our Teivosk to accept your merchants, if you would grant us the same courtesy if Glic Merchants come to buy at your markets. If you are interested in more, I'm sure it could be arranged...

But, we confess, we had no specific intentions or knowledge of your people before now. You seem... differentfrom the other humans, but that msy be my imagination.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I am willing to support all buyouts of open TPs in regions we have merchant control by you for the same courtesy. Not sure what your growth plans are. If you aren't planning to go big into Econ, I might be willing to help provide you with desired imports in exchange for a mutual vengeance pact. If you are planning to go deep into Econ, the initial offer will be valuable by itself, in time, hopefully.

Spoiler: explanation
    Show
    a vengeance pact is a promise to provide troops for a retaliatory strike against the capitol of anyone who attacks your capitol. Snimt'Glek's doctrine is that he, in extremis, will forgo a traditional defense in favor of Mutually Assured Destruction.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

19. - Top - End - #109

Spoiler
    Show

If you would be interested in such machines, we are willing to put in a word to our Teivosk to accept your merchants, if you would grant us the same courtesy if Glic Merchants come to buy at your markets. If you are interested in more, I'm sure it could be arranged...

But, we confess, we had no specific intentions or knowledge of your people before now. You seem... differentfrom the other humans, but that msy be my imagination.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I am willing to support all buyouts of open TPs in regions we have merchant control by you for the same courtesy. Not sure what your growth plans are. If you aren't planning to go big into Econ, I might be willing to help provide you with desired imports in exchange for a mutual vengeance pact. If you are planning to go deep into Econ, the initial offer will be valuable by itself, in time, hopefully.

Spoiler: explanation
    Show
    a vengeance pact is a promise to provide troops for a retaliatory strike against the capitol of anyone who attacks your capitol. Snimt'Glek's doctrine is that he, in extremis, will forgo a traditional defense in favor of Mutually Assured Destruction.

Indeed, they had not. But I intended to discuss things in brief with them, given they showed up at the event.

The taller woman walked over, golden locks, in her elegant dress. For all that's happened tonight, she looks well and pristine. Really all of them look enough like people to be mistaken for such, and Serenity most of all. "Though I would have appreciated you telling me they had already contacted you, Holly." She exhales a sigh, wearing a wider smile. "I would be glad to arrange some agreements, in small or large. We have much to discuss, though some specifics of said agreements depend on which textualist beliefs are held. You're right in that we are different in some important ways, oh, excuse me, I'm off my game."

She gives a small head bow and curtsey, the glitter floating around her body. "You may call me Serenity."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I currently don't plan to go big on eco, but I might. The initial deal will probably be fine though I may not use it mechanically, fluff wise it will probably be good, though. Help getting Desired Imports is technically something I need, even if I currently plan to go predominantly Coercion for such things, which may be tricker to 'mechanically' get help for. I guess a Trade Route is an option there? Vengance Pact (where we promise some retaliation) if capitals are invaded can work, defensive stuff is good.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Of Prowess

Quinn smiled. The nature of the fortune telling was clear to them. Simple sociological assessments disguised as mentalism. It is almost a shame, they had been hoping for some indication of probabilistic sensitivity. THAT would be a find. She nodded politely. "I thank you for your divination, Priestess. I will consider your words most carefully. Fortunately for me, my path is not one of leadership, but of Prowess. My position as Senior Advisor is my duty to the Board. Uplifting my Prowess is my life-long goal."
    The rejection (if intended as a rejection at all) is so soft that Tanchitsa doesn't notice it. She perks up when she hears a term she previously only read about in e-books.
    "Ah, I've heard of Prowess... it is a sort of training to develop one's capabilities, right? My people are probably different, they mostly like to train physically by hunting and gladiatorial fights."

Short Statured Sceptics

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post

Fortune Telling
    The offer of fortune telling provokes a possibly unexpected response from the dwarven leader. "No. I don't need magic. I get my answers from science." He laughs coldly. "I'm hardly involved in the mining, so I doubt I'll find any ore myself, I most likely won't rule any country, and I have better things to do than waste my time with mystical claptrap."
    "Boss... diplomacy?"
    "I'm an engineer, not a wizard! What do you want me to do, play along with this farce?"
    Turning to the dwarves, Tanchitsa crosses her arms and turns her chin up. "Humbug and witchcraft, you say. Only your foreignness excuses your ignorance. This is no magic - no magic at all is carried out by the state officials or upstanding citizens of Kan. I am just... this box is the receiver for signals from Ophon, which I decode, if you want it in technical terms. I've made a demonstration of but a fraction of my craft here with Senior Advisor Quinn, hopefully you've seen it. But suit yourself, I have no need for converts."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Badalian Banter
    Show

Quinn took a sip of... something. They had stopped paying attention some time ago. "Pirates and raiders have been a minor problem for ages. Another group organizing under some brute with delusions of grandeur is not surprising." They leaned in a little closer, lowering their tone. A complicated series of gestures with their hands, and the background noise of the banquet faded away, leaving a dull, persistent hum. "What is surprising is the Emperor's choice to make them Exalted. Our External Affairs Department is speculating that the Coalition will be used to weaken the rest of us. So we will turn to the Empire for direct, and costly, aid. "

Divination with Presentation!

Quote Originally Posted by SerakHawk View Post
    Spoiler: A Badalian Crisis Comparison
    Show

Some time after the crisis calmed down Quinn and Marcus found them talking over a drink, fellow Baladian to Baldalian. "Ah, a shame my Team lead did not have time to notice your people's presence, that would have aided Occam on his attempt through the device. I hear he is recovering well, nothing life threatening and with some of the new technologies shared at this convention we may be able to save his tail fully. It is gratifying to see different nations of the Elite all react together, and not just those of us who have to work together to survive."

Taking a sip of some kind of honey flavored drink served by the Arkhive Marcus carries on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumaeus View Post
    The queen smiles. "I hope this can lead to a close alliance between our peoples. I believe Polyphemus is prepared to come alone, but I'll see to it that all relevant information is made available to you as quickly as possible.

"Of course, Your Majesty. Since I have heard whispers of other such pledges, let it be known that the Eucrus Alliance will take no actions to harm the standing of the Arkhive. I have monopolized enough of your time, however." Noting the sudden density of their Badalian neighbors at the Banquet, Navarch Tuahine excuses herself from the small crowd that occupies Queen Constance--including none other than Meifeng.

Tuahine approaches Quinn and Marcus next, waiting for a break in the conversation to slide in amidst her fellow ambassadors. "Prime Marcus. Your technicians were quick and admirable in their performance. I apologize for the candor of my staff.. Youthful ignorance at its finest. Senior Advisor--I am ... surprised to see the man from U.N.N.C.L.E in attendance here. Surprised, and pleased, given your people's singular focus. Perhaps we were all anxious to get off our sulfurous patch of paradise to greener pastures." She jokes and takes a long swig of a drink she had procured along the way... a drink not yet strong enough to deal with the likes of the Coalition. "I see neither of you have been in a rush to meet with the Little Queen."

Spoiler: OOC Point Tally
    Show
    4 (Gifting In Vivo Modification + Megadirigibles [to the Arkhive only]--might as well, since others are doing it)
    Explicit Acceptance of Non-Aggression
    Last edited by Stygian; 2024-02-10 at 01:29 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: SerakHawk - On Death
    Show
    Marcus nods as the Khylokian delegate responds in the affirmative, and then the follow up by the Exalted Pod.

"Death is death. This is a statement we can get behind as a people, comparing death to a luxury seems.. disrespectful of the sacrifice of the many. No offense to the Exalted Pod, death sometimes is a required sacrifice to ensure the many survive. Welcoming death without reckless abandon when it is required, when the stakes are high is something all people should embrace. It does seem people still fear death as something that can be avoided - I think it is better to embrace that your death is already imminent, then can you not live more in the moment and embrace living fully without the fear of death hanging over you as a specter. I do hope people continue to talk about this demonstration and think critically on how they view life."

"I fear there may have been a misunderstanding. I mean not to call death itself a luxury, I call it a luxury to live without fear of death - to welcome it when it comes. Indeed, a people can only exist outside of the fear of death if they believe in their people and their legacy. To live outside of death's fear speaks to a selflessness and sense of purpose.

From your words, I believe we are in agreement. To lose life without cause is tragedy, but to face a noble doom is admirable. The mindset of the Khylokians is different than ours, but it is impressive in its way."

Spoiler: moossabi - Greetings
    Show
    Amidst some lull in the conversation, the double-trio of Durats that comprises the Head Professor/Librarian of Technology is approached by the quiet wheelchair of Hekla dei Fiori, a kindly expression resting upon a face obviously unaccustomed to such pleasure. "Pardon me for contributing to what is no doubt a cacophony at this point, but I must thank you for your role in resolving the recent crisis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're a native of Burtzlund, correct? Durat, to be precise?" Her positive demeanor cannot disguise the fact that her questions are entirely rhetorical, there can be absolutely no mistake as to the nature of such a uniquely bizarre collection of life forms. For what it's worth, there is no disdain in the way her gaze passes between the individual Durats, simply the amused curiosity of one reading a novel text. "I must say, you have left me with an extremely favorable first impression of Verdalfheim's eastern neighbors. The rumors of your technological prowess were not overstated."

The six heads snap towards Hekla dei Fiori, they seem momentarily flustered before gathering themselves, "Ah, I'm honored. And I am indeed Durat. Specifically, I am a pod made of six individual Durats. You will have to forgive me, the trade was only recently finished, meaning that I have only recently been formed. It takes a moment to gather and figure myself out."
    Periodically throughout the sentence, various Durats in the pod speak up, until it eventually settles on one, the pod's new speaker. "Oh, I suppose context is important! Every three years, the Head Professor of the Coastaphornia University and the Arkhive Librarian of Technology briefly join, before separating again into two different pods, with new Durat combinations. This allows us to fundamentally understand the research and study occurring between the neighboring schools." The Durats look contemplative for but a moment. "I think I'll be the Coastaphornia Headmaster."
    "Anyway!- I've spoken far to much of myself. I can speak for The University and one-seventh of the Exaulted Pod when I say that we are excited to collaborate with you, dear neighbors. And we are delighted to have left a positive impression. Your growing armies and powerful leaders have already left a powerful impression, one which we're excited to work with! The foundations of the universe are at our fingertips, and all of Tekhum is trembling at the coming change. We hope that your might may be a foundation upon which we can build marvels. At some point I'm sure the Exalted Pod itself will also wish to converse with you!" (as fluff or just assumed to have happened depending on your preference)

At a later time:
    As things settle back down and the Elect Parties return to their eating and consorting, The Exalted Pod shuffles over to the stage. Finding a podium, the Great Wisers hop atop each other into a neat little stack, upon which The Speaker Supreme stands just above the podium. Not unlike a pile of well-coordinated cheerleaders--if cheerleaders were woodchucks.
    "Greetings to our fellow elect! Those once far, now made near by the miracle of technology! We, the Durats of Burtzlund are excited to announce the formation of the Solar Trade Center! The Solar Trade Center is a conglomerate of trading routes connecting all regions and planets of Tekhum, all centered on the very Firmament here on Sansar. We humbly would request The Honored Elect's collaboration to build trade routes to Burtzlund and Region 110 on The Firmament and in return you can trade treasure, artifacts, and technology through the trading post with all other connected Elect. Additionally, you will have access to other to several other additional provided perks. There is much to say, so please read the associated pamphlet that my assistants are providing."
    Several goggles-wearing Durats run throughout the elect dispensing elegant pamphlets, their contents can be read on the Durat IC post. "I hope you're as excited about the new opportunity lying in the Solar Trade Center as we are! We're excited to work with you and bring all the regions of Tekhum together!"

At a different later time:
    At some point during the revelry, the Exalted Pod makes its way to Kanite Ambassador Ian Sladkor. "Greetings and well met, I have been hoping to speak with you. Your broadcast and services have captured my interest. Do tell, are you interested in joining the Solar Trade Center? I expect it would do a great deal in assisting accessibility to your impressive capabilities."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

After talking with other delegates, count Choraria went back to the hosts. Not necessarily the queen, but one of the hangers on who could do some of the minor dealings. He needed quarters for the group that was coming over and he wanted to introduce the lead scientist of the group of technician, Aishah Yaakop, senior researcher in Fusion technology at the University of Voletha. There had been some discussions in the research groups at the university and also among politicians and in the end Dr. Yaakop was chosen to go. She had arrived on Sansar a day after the other delegation had arrived and was now ready to be introduced to her new hosts.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

24. - Top - End - #114

Chimera

An Explanation of Prowess
    Of Prowess
    The rejection (if intended as a rejection at all) is so soft that Tanchitsa doesn't notice it. She perks up when she hears a term she previously only read about in e-books.
    "Ah, I've heard of Prowess... it is a sort of training to develop one's capabilities, right? My people are probably different, they mostly like to train physically by hunting and gladiatorial fights."
    Physical conditioning is the first part. The Kinfolk train from an early age to constantly push past their physical and mental limitations. One of most revered sites contains the lists of feats of Prowess, and the biography of the recordholder. You should make a trip to the Center of Human Prowess. It is inspiring.
    I've been training my whole life to go without breathing, hut I am nowhere near the record of just under 48 minutes. And I still struggle to instinctively solve any tri-variable non-linear differential equation.

But beyond the one-body abilities, we develop external abilities called two-body Prowess. There are three general disciplines. I am from the Boyelian school- allowing me to control volume, temperature, and mixture of the environment. For example," They made a series of gestures with their eyes closed, and their tattoos and biomesh glowed. The sounds of the Banquet faded, and then disappeared. "It is a simple application of volumetric manipulation to create a barrier that dis-harmonizes the pressure waves of audible sound.

More Badalian banter
    [color=#173881][b]"

Tuahine approaches Quinn and Marcus next, waiting for a break in the conversation to slide in amidst her fellow ambassadors. "Prime Marcus. Your technicians were quick and admirable in their performance. I apologize for the candor of my staff.. Youthful ignorance at its finest. Senior Advisor--I am ... surprised to see the man from U.N.N.C.L.E in attendance here. Surprised, and pleased, given your people's singular focus. Perhaps we were all anxious to get off our sulfurous patch of paradise to greener pastures." She jokes and takes a long swig of a drink she had procured along the way... a drink not yet strong enough to deal with the likes of the Coalition. "I see neither of you have been in a rush to meet with the Little Queen."
    Quinn ignored the mis-gendering from the crab-person. Kinfolk tend towards androgyny, and without hair it can be even more difficult for other humans to discern. Crustacean-folk would be a a significant disadvantage. 'We arrived well before you did, and made our presence to the Queen known. Non-aggression is a simple thing to agree to.'

Quinn gazed upward into the large crustacean's eyestalks. "It is the hope of the Board that the Emperor is promoting a period of knowledge sharing, technological growth, and innovation. But the... choices of Exalted have our Board concerned. Military development is one thing, building intra-stellar navies is quite another."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: More Badalian banter
    Show
    Quinn ignored the mis-gendering from the crab-person. Kinfolk tend towards androgyny, and without hair it can be even more difficult for other humans to discern. Crustacean-folk would be a a significant disadvantage. 'We arrived well before you did, and made our presence to the Queen known. Non-aggression is a simple thing to agree to.'

Quinn gazed upward into the large crustacean's eyestalks. "It is the hope of the Board that the Emperor is promoting a period of knowledge sharing, technological growth, and innovation. But the... choices of Exalted have our Board concerned. Military development is one thing, building intra-stellar navies is quite another."
    [Slight OOC note: The kanmarra don't have eyestalks--they do have more humanoid facial structure and torso--aside from some slight doming of the head, chitin, etc. They may heavily resemble crustaceans now, but they started at a human base, long, long ago. :P ]

Tuahine gave a sort of half-shrug in response to the Senior Advisor's words. "A simple thing, and yet we've already experienced unhinged delegates bringing unstable reactors to a meeting of the minds." She tapped her forehead with a sly sort of smile. "...Perhaps humor is not my strong suit. I was referring to Captain Meifeng--who likely views herself already as the queen of all she sees. I share your concern, despite being one of the self-same powers you refer to. First and foremost, we wish to protect our people and their interests. If that means that we must establish forward bases to ward off foreign powers from entering the Badalian atmosphere--well, the Alliance prays that it will happen with a minimum of bloodshed. None desire a Second War of Eternal Bombardments."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

[Slight OOC note: The kanmarra don't have eyestalks--they do have more humanoid facial structure and torso--aside from some slight doming of the head, chitin, etc. They may heavily resemble crustaceans now, but they started at a human base, long, long ago. :P ]

Tuahine gave a sort of half-shrug in response to the Senior Advisor's words. "A simple thing, and yet we've already experienced unhinged delegates bringing unstable reactors to a meeting of the minds." She tapped her forehead with a sly sort of smile. "...Perhaps humor is not my strong suit. I was referring to Captain Meifeng--who likely views herself already as the queen of all she sees. I share your concern, despite being one of the self-same powers you refer to. First and foremost, we wish to protect our people and their interests. If that means that we must establish forward bases to ward off foreign powers from entering the Badalian atmosphere--well, the Alliance prays that it will happen with a minimum of bloodshed. None desire a Second War of Eternal Bombardments."
    "None Desire it, yet I wonder if it is fated to happen with the opening of the system once again. I dare not question the Emperor's will and judgement, but we do not have records of what led to the War in the first place - This makes it hard to avoid a second by accident."

Marcus swirls his drink as the group continues chatting

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Amending technology gift to include Badalian Mega-dirigibles to Arkhive only
    Last edited by SerakHawk; 2024-02-10 at 07:01 PM.
    Something uniquely pithy, while remaining profound

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

@MrHeadcrab
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHeadcrab View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The six heads snap towards Hekla dei Fiori, they seem momentarily flustered before gathering themselves, "Ah, I'm honored. And I am indeed Durat. Specifically, I am a pod made of six individual Durats. You will have to forgive me, the trade was only recently finished, meaning that I have only recently been formed. It takes a moment to gather and figure myself out."
    Periodically throughout the sentence, various Durats in the pod speak up, until it eventually settles on one, the pod's new speaker. "Oh, I suppose context is important! Every three years, the Head Professor of the Coastaphornia University and the Arkhive Librarian of Technology briefly join, before separating again into two different pods, with new Durat combinations. This allows us to fundamentally understand the research and study occurring between the neighboring schools." The Durats look contemplative for but a moment. "I think I'll be the Coastaphornia Headmaster."
    "Anyway!- I've spoken far to much of myself. I can speak for The University and one-seventh of the Exaulted Pod when I say that we are excited to collaborate with you, dear neighbors. And we are delighted to have left a positive impression. Your growing armies and powerful leaders have already left a powerful impression, one which we're excited to work with! The foundations of the universe are at our fingertips, and all of Tekhum is trembling at the coming change. We hope that your might may be a foundation upon which we can build marvels. At some point I'm sure the Exalted Pod itself will also wish to converse with you!" (as fluff or just assumed to have happened depending on your preference)
    "A wise practice, and one which avoids the pitfalls of miscommunication." A brief chuckle escapes her mouth as she wistfully lowers her gaze. "If only my siblings could be so in-sync..." Her head shakes, hand brushing back her stark white hair as she looks back up. "Apologies, nostalgia often gets the better of me. Such a conversation would be greatly opportune for both our peoples, and I shall do my best to place your Exalted Pod in touch with our Chancellor. I would not be so pretentious as to aspire to universe-shaking, but we could still easily work wonders together."

28. - Top - End - #118

Chimera

"Perhaps an interest to keep Badal for Badalians is something that can be developed. Even Captain Meifeng might be persuaded to see the benefits to some form of alliance against exo-planetary governments.