New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Scion First Edition game

Quote Originally Posted by Kaworu View Post
    But might I ask - how about Scions of holy virgins gods (Artemis) or those with no sexual organs (Osiris)? :-P Just being curious... :-P
    They adopt. That's part of the reason why Fate is so insistent that if you're adopted, the adoptive parent is 100% your divine sire, I think.

Basically it means that I cannot start with Stars Boon/Mystical abilities, right? Or maybe you mean something different?
    I'm not the ST, of course, but normally you can start with boons from any purview you want... but to access an all-purpose purview, you need a purview relic, and purview relics can only come from a deity with access to that purview. That's why Anthony has ties to the Yellow Emperor even though his sire is Japanese (much to T's consternation, I suspect).
    So you'd need to pick a deity with the Stars purview (Set, Thor, Frigg, etc). Then explain why that deity chose to give you (who aren't their child) a relic of the Stars in a way the ST finds acceptable, usually.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, okay, now I understand :) Thank you :-)

Okay, I can either go with some God diving my character the Stars Birthright, or... maybe I will kinda switch the mechanics? I could:

- get Animal Purview (maybe Dogs? It does not need to be a Falcon, right?)
    - get Justice Purview
    - Invest into Epic Dexterity and Intelligence

And I kinda do not know what to do... xD Any advice? ;-)
    LGBTinP 🏳️*🌈, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Do what's fun!

Ummm... You're the only person applying who's mentioned the Stars purview, and I want to but have never seen that in action (it looks cool as the void of space, though I'm not sure what Sense Age is for), so Stars is good. I can also easily see the link between an astrophysicist and stellar time.

Due to the way Scion/Storyteller is set up, Epic Dexterity is almost a requirement if you want to take a prominent role in combat (there are workarounds, but not straightforward ones). Your nature is Pacifist, though, so are you not looking for combat? Your Epic Int is already at maximum for your legend score.

You're right that Animal can be associated with any animal, regardless of parent. If you want to go there, I'd suggest a point or three of Companion, to make sure you've got a reasonably competent and accessible version of your animal to work with. It can be pretty versatile if you can actually find the animals to use it on... it's just frustrating otherwise. Why are animals important to your character?

For Justice, you'll need Empathy, and probably some mix of Investigation or Awareness, plus Integrity if you're going to hold to your convictions. Information-gathering can be very powerful; why is Justice important to your character?

It's hard to give other advice without knowing your goals. If you name a system you're more familiar with and a role in that system, I could suggest ways to make that happen in Scion?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

For Justice, you'll need Empathy, and probably some mix of Investigation or Awareness, plus Integrity if you're going to hold to your convictions. Information-gathering can be very powerful; why is Justice important to your character?
    It's just some option I could take since I cannot have Stars and I do not wanna invest the Birthright Point in either Companion nor Guide xD

Actually, I have some idea for mechanics changes, gimme some time ;-)\

EDIT: New mechanics, I hope it is less problematic now? ;-)

Spoiler
    Show

Mateusz Śląski

Calling: Friendly Astrophysicist
    Pantheon: Pesedjet
    God: Horus
    Nature: Pacifist

Attributes

Physical (4)

Strength **
    Dexterity ***
    Stamina **

Social (6)

Charisma ***
    Manipulation ***
    Appearance ***

Mental (8)

Perception ***
    Intelligence *****
    Wits ***

Abilities

Favored

Athletics *
    Awareness ***
    Brawl **
    Command *
    Melee
    Politics ***

Other

Academic ** (Native language: Polish. Foreing languages (max 6): English, German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese)
    Art (Writing) **
    Craft (Electronics) ***
    Empathy *
    Fortitude **
    Integrity ***
    Occult *
    Science (Astrophysics) ***
    Science (Computer Science) ***

Birthrights:

Relic 3 (Pendant of the Sun) (All-Purpose Purviews: Sky, Sun, Moon)
    Relic 2 (Bulletproof Vest, * Fatigue, * Soak)
    Guide 1 (Helena Makowska, a religious studies graduate)

Boons:

Sky 2 (Wind’s Freedom)
    Sun 2 (Divine Radiance)

Epic Attributes

Epic Strength 1 (Uplifting Might)
    Epic Dexterity 1 (Untouchable Opponent)
    Epic Stamina 1 (Self-Healing)

Epic Charisma 1 (Never Say Die)
    Epic Manipulation 1 (God’s Honest)

Epic Intelligence 2 (Fast Learner, Math Genius)

Virtues:

Conviction ***
    Expression * (Instead of Harmony)
    Loyalty ** (Instead of Order)
    Intellect *** (Instead of Piety)

Legend ***
    Willpower ***** ***
    Legend Points: 9

Bonus Points Expenditure: 15

Background:

Mateusz Śląski was born in Jelenia Góra city in Dolnośląskie Voivodeship in Poland. Since young age, he wanted to ba a well-educated person, which he did, by studying at the Univerity of Wrocław. When he received a visitation from the Horus, he was kinda taken aback. Yes, he had written a thesis on magnetic field of Sun an its influence on Solar plasma, but... As a mostly science nerd, he sometimes feels out-of-touch with various aspects of Horus, but is none the less happy with the arrangement, and with his father achievements. Even though he sometimes feels like a basterd child of the God, with both his focus on scientific pursuit and moral values that are often in opposition to the values of Egyptian gods. Yet, while he might not be your typical Scion of Horus, he tries to make his father proud and is very dedicated in doing what he does.

His good friend is Helena Makowska, a graduate of religious studies, helping him as much as she can in this new, mythological adventure of his. However, as he is gay, there can be no romantic involvement between them, even thought there is somehow a strong platonic bond between the two. For Mateusz, Helena is somewhere between the best friend and a beloved sister.

EDIT2: Also, is there a way to generate a graphical character sheet? That could calculate all the things like defense value etc? Or should I just edit the template in GIMP?
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2024-02-24 at 02:18 AM.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

5. - Top - End - #95
    Colossus in the Playground

Yes, that does fit better. Justanotherhero's character is your uncle.

One thing still, I'm afraid: Intelligence+Academics is your maximum number of languages, not of bonus languages. A character with an Intelligence of 1 and no Academics is not bilingual.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I don't know one that does automatic calculation, but the pdf sheets at least don't require editing in GIMP:
    https://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/p...e_Editable.pdf

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

About the languages number at beginning, the quotation from corebook is this:

Note: A multilingual character can speak a
    maximum number of languages equal to his (Intelligence
    + Academics). A character must still actually learn the
    additional languages he speaks, though—whether doing
    so is part of his upbringing or happens over time in
    game. He does not spontaneously understand new
    languages each time he gets a new Academics dot.
    This suggest (?) that if I begin the game with x points in Academics + Intelligence, I begin with x languages, but further raising Academic and/or Intelligence in game means I have to learn during play? I believe?

But of course, our GM has the final say ;-)

EDIT: Also, I cannot find in the book the stats of natural attacks, which my character would use :( any help? ;-)
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2024-02-24 at 02:12 AM.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Everything you've posted is true.
    Why would any of that mean that 5 intelligence + 2 Academics = 8 languages known, though?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm... it seems to me that you have max number of languages equal to 2 + 5 (not counting the native one) and there's a suggestion that increasing the Academic/INT during game does not increases the known languages, so... the max number is the number you know at the beginning of the game? ;-) It seems to me ;-)

Of course, I can be wrong ;-) But since the languages do not increase during the game, if I begin the game with max number of languages, there are my num ber of languages pre-game? ;-) I mean, this is how I interpret that, I can be wrong, ofc ;-)

Also, where can I find the "base" stats of natural attacks, such as with fist etc? My characters does not use any weapons... :-P

EDIt: Eh, wait, did I mix languages and bonus languages...? xD Oops... Gimme a minute to re-run the math in my head, ok? ;-)

EDIT2: Okay, I re-run the calculations and you are right, sorry xD I already edited the CS, okay? ;-)

EDIT3: The link to my CS in PDF format ;-)
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2024-02-24 at 02:33 AM.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

10. - Top - End - #100
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

(not counting the native one)
    It absolutely counts your Native language

Also Max speaks English, Spanish and Nuhuatl (often called Aztec) with space to learn one language
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2024-02-24 at 05:20 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup, I realized... :-P ;-)

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Hm... it seems to me that you have max number of languages equal to 2 + 5 (not counting the native one) and there's a suggestion that increasing the Academic/INT during game does not increases the known languages, so... the max number is the number you know at the beginning of the game? ;-) It seems to me ;-)

Of course, I can be wrong ;-) But since the languages do not increase during the game, if I begin the game with max number of languages, there are my num ber of languages pre-game? ;-) I mean, this is how I interpret that, I can be wrong, ofc ;-)
    My interpretation of the text is :
    Increase of Int or Academics is required to justify learning a new language in game. Learning a new language in game would be a matter roleplay I believe.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Colossus in the Playground

Recruitment and character creation are now officially closed. The OOC thread will be up shortly; the IC thread will take a little longer because I'm still not completely with it.

OOC thread.

And the IC thread is up. I'm still coughing, but should be with it enough to post once a day, hopefully. With exactly six completed characters, the choice of which six characters to accept wasn't hard.
    Last edited by Kish; 2024-02-29 at 09:30 PM.