New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Mortals vs the Gods OOC

I would say no to mind buttressing blocking it as it’s not mind control

But impressive saves! But that’s true for all the party

On the rift the party only has the Druid as a full caster. Most everyone went melee heavy
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

If I wasn't staggered, I'd be able to use Baroom Brawler as a move action to gain the Advanced Weapon Training that gives me an Item Mastery, select Dispel Mastery, and attempted a targeted dispel at the rift.

But alas... I'm staggered. Too bad combat stamina wasn't allowed, lol. It'd make Baroom Brawler a swift action.

That being said, partial charge pounce is definitely the best option when staggered, I believe.

Moreover, our helpful Mystic/Animus Adept has access to Dispel, I believe. Targeted dispels should be able to target both objects and specific spells, IIRC.

Speaking of which, @Da'Shain I'm really sorry that I squandered your Sunstroke with my inaction.

Also, I'm only just now reading the buffs you gave everyone via Radiant Dawn Style. Unfortunately, I think that the Chain Lightning cleared them all, but I'm more than happy to get some extra hp.

Since I'm not exactly sure where we are within relation to each other, I'll just assume that I gained the 10 temp hp from your Decree of Purity. That brings my hp up to 203/552. Always nice to have some more breathing room.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2024-02-23 at 05:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I've got Greater Dispel Magic prepared. If folks think it's a worthwhile shot I'll have him try to dispel the gate.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

4. - Top - End - #94

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    If I wasn't staggered, I'd be able to use Baroom Brawler as a move action to gain the Advanced Weapon Training that gives me an Item Mastery, select Dispel Mastery, and attempted a targeted dispel at the rift.

But alas... I'm staggered. Too bad combat stamina wasn't allowed, lol. It'd make Baroom Brawler a swift action.

That being said, partial charge pounce is definitely the best option when staggered, I believe.

Moreover, our helpful Mystic/Animus Adept has access to Dispel, I believe. Targeted dispels should be able to target both objects and specific spells, IIRC.
    Strangely enough, Purging Finale will negate a stun, but not a stagger, oh well, the giants MIGHT live another turn.

5. - Top - End - #95

BlackDragon

Fort Save vs Waves of Ecstasy: (1d20+32)[37]

6. - Top - End - #96

Imp

Hold the phone.

I assumed that the full attack from the Giant was aimed at me, but... it wasn't was it?

Reading through the thread a bit more carefully, I think that full attack was only for Nehemesk.

If that's the case, then that's 111 damage that I never took. In which case, my HP would be at a vastly more comfortable 314/552.

But yeah, I have a pretty decent idea of what I'm going to do, and it's likely going to involve transforming into a Large magical creature via Beast Shape IV. This will decrease my CON score by 6, causing me to lose 69 hp. That'll put me at 245/483.

The only issue now is, what do I transform into? The options are a Lammasu, which has 60 ft fly speed + pounce, or a Griffon with 80 ft fly speed + pounce.

If the next giant target is within 60 ft, then I choose the Lammasu. I just don't really know the distances enough to be sure.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2024-02-23 at 06:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I've got Greater Dispel Magic prepared. If folks think it's a worthwhile shot I'll have him try to dispel the gate.
    Camilla also has one cast of GDM prepared. She has an effective CL of 24 for the check (+4 from Otherworldly Kimono). If there's a chance we can just prevent the titanic dragon from exiting the gate, I think it's worth attempting. Probably better to have the caster with the higher CL try it.

If not that, I was thinking I would cast Heal on Nehemsek since there would be no overhealing and being under 150 HP is a bit risky given the numbers going around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Hold the phone.

I assumed that the full attack from the Giant was aimed at me, but... it wasn't was it?

Reading through the thread a bit more carefully, I think that full attack was only for Nehemesk.

If that's the case, then that's 111 damage that I never took. In which case, my HP would be at a vastly more comfortable 314/552.

But yeah, I have a pretty decent idea of what I'm going to do, and it's likely going to involve transforming into a Large magical creature via Beast Shape IV. This will decrease my CON score by 6, causing me to lose 69 hp. That'll put me at 245/483.

The only issue now is, what do I transform into? The options are a Lammasu, which has 60 ft fly speed + pounce, or a Griffon with 80 ft fly speed + pounce.

If the next giant target is within 60 ft, then I choose the Lammasu. I just don't really know the distances enough to be sure.
    Atop the temple door way the giants were within 50ft

9. - Top - End - #99
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Camilla also has one cast of GDM prepared. She has an effective CL of 24 for the check (+4 from Otherworldly Kimono). If there's a chance we can just prevent the titanic dragon from exiting the gate, I think it's worth attempting. Probably better to have the caster with the higher CL try it.
    Go for it then. Runa has an advantage buff they can give you for the check they talked about in the discord.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

10. - Top - End - #100

MindFlayer

Nefer-Horsif's dispelling maneuvers and glyphs sadly only work on creatures, or else I'd have him try to close the Gate, but he can send his soul candle to Camilla to give her a +12 insight bonus to her CL check, so I think that's probably for the best. I'll have him do that after he attacks, I'll get the post up shortly.

EDIT: Also, I didn't realize we had a Discord. Could we get an updated link, please?
    Last edited by Da'Shain; 2024-02-24 at 12:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'll post the attempt after Nefer-Horsif's Soul Candle gets into position.

DrK, the Otherworldly Kimono doesn't specify a bonus type for the CL boost. I know you prefer the bonuses to be typed to prevent things from getting out of hand, so I figured I'd check to make sure stacking these effects are fine.

If they will stack, the GDM will be 1d20+36 against a DC of 11+CL of the gate. Otherwise it'll be 1d20+32.

12. - Top - End - #102

MindFlayer

So Nefer-Horsif just made an attack which allows him to stack multiple bonus attacks and stack his Initiation modifier multiple times. The sources are:

• Sun's Gleam, which can be used as a weapon as part of delivering a strike and does 1d6+Initiation modifier Force damage;
    • His current Candle Magic Votive effect, which adds his Illumination level as bonus damage of his energy type (included because his minimum Illumination is Wis, though it is higher at this point in combat)
    • Solar Hailstorm Stance, which gives him an extra two ranged weapon attacks at full BAB, and adds his Initiation modifier as untyped damage to all attacks in a full attack;
    • Runa's Master Skald ability, which adds an extra attack during a full attack as though using Haste (and also her Discordant Voice feat which adds the 1d6 sonic damage); and
    • Cascade of Elemental Wrath, which allows him to make a full attack, spend 2 animus to gain an extra bonus attack at full BAB, converts all damage done to that of his active element, and adds an extra 1d6+Initiation mod to that damage.

In terms of stacking damage, I think despite all being based on Initiation mod, Sun's Gleam, Solar Hailstorm Stance and Cascade of Elemental Wrath indisputably stack with each other; Sun's Gleam is Force damage, Solar Hailstorm Stance is untyped damage, and Cascade is elemental damage (even though it converts all the damage to elemental damage). I would argue the Candle Magic votive effect also stacks because it is a different bonus added, Illumination instead of Initiation modifier, so it is not the same as adding Wisdom mod again, and there is no rule to my knowledge against adding elemental damage multiple times to the same attack.

In terms of bonus attacks, both Solar Hailstorm Stance and Cascade make no mention of being limited, while the Master Skald ability says the bonus attack is made as if with a Haste effect, and Haste effects usually do not stack with other bonus attacks. So instead of 4 bonus attacks, Nefer-Horsif may be limited to only the 3 from his stance and maneuver. If that is how you rule, just ignore one of Attacks 1-5 in that post.

13. - Top - End - #103

BlackDragon

I just want to say go team mortal, this is a great cooperative effort

14. - Top - End - #104

Imp

I was under the impression that we had decided on Wind Walk, over the Mass Phantom Steed?

15. - Top - End - #105

BlackDragon

I was under the impression that we had decided on Wind Walk, over the Mass Phantom Steed?
    Can do it either way, am not married to either one, was just trying to move things along.

16. - Top - End - #106

MindFlayer

Question: one of the Candle Magic Bonfire effects reads:

"Affected allies gain the ability to move up to twice their speed as a swift action without provoking attacks of opportunity."

This is a permanent benefit until changed. Would we be able to use this in conjunction with Wind Walk to triple our speed (600 feet as full round, 2x600 as swift, for 1800/round or 180 mph)? Or would we simply be able to use the swift action to move double our normal fly speed (10 feet with the Wind-Walk, so 620/round instead of 600, or if for example your normal fly speed is 60, 720 ft/round or 72 mph)?

Just a way for us to get even more bang out of the spell if possible and shave off a few hours of the trip. Normal trip'll be approximately 17 hours (~1000 miles between Greece and Egypt as the crow flies, plus or minus depending on where exactly).
    Last edited by Da'Shain; 2024-02-26 at 05:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    Question: one of the Candle Magic Bonfire effects reads:

"Affected allies gain the ability to move up to twice their speed as a swift action without provoking attacks of opportunity."

This is a permanent benefit until changed. Would we be able to use this in conjunction with Wind Walk to triple our speed (600 feet as full round, 2x600 as swift, for 1800/round or 180 mph)? Or would we simply be able to use the swift action to move double our normal fly speed (10 feet with the Wind-Walk, so 620/round instead of 600, or if for example your normal fly speed is 60, 720 ft/round or 72 mph)?

Just a way for us to get even more bang out of the spell if possible and shave off a few hours of the trip. Normal trip'll be approximately 17 hours (~1000 miles between Greece and Egypt as the crow flies, plus or minus depending on where exactly).
    It would be the latter, so an extra 20ft, as Wind walk is a 10ft speed, or summoning magical wind for the rapid movement

On the other post about the various stacking things, I'll have a read through as there is a balance between unintended stacking of rules and what is balanceable.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Can we loot the giants?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

You could have looted them but you seemed keen on heading off

Loot if you’d like to consider
    3 “fighty giants”
    + 3x Huge Breastplate +2 of Fire resistance 20
    + 3x Huge Greataxe/ Greatspear +3 Frost, Keen
    + 3x Belts of Giant strength +4

Cleric one
    Headband of Wisdom +4
    Huge Fullplate +3
    Phylactery Holy symbol (Hel)
    Huge Warhammer +3

Wizard One
    Bracers of armour +4
    Cloak of Resistance +2 and Manta Ray
    Huge +2/+2 Staff of Frost

Edit: not sure how you’ll take the weapons and armour if you are after them
    Last edited by DrK; 2024-02-27 at 01:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

Imp

I assume we're all a couple hundred feet above the ground.

I don't think that there's anything that we'd be doing in place of transforming out of Wind Walk's gaseous form.

Interestingly enough, Gaseuous Form and Wind Walk aren't polymorph effects. This means A.) it stacks with / doesn't override current polymorph effects, and B.) Haagenti's boon that allows me to use my equipment while polymorphed does not apply to this effect, unfortunately.

So I pretty much can't do anything other than wait, for what it's worth.

I'll probably be in Air Elemental Form, I suppose. In case anything goes wrong with the spell, I can probably whirlwind us to relative safety.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

200ft sounds reasonable to me.

In response the storm, I'm not sure. There are risks regardless of going through or around. I'm interested to hear the thoughts of others.

22. - Top - End - #112

BlackDragon

Knowledge (Nature): (1d20+41)[55] As to the severity of the storm, possible effects on flight, and whether is a probably a natural occurrence.
    Knowledge (Geography): (1d20+41)[46] As to our precise location (I assuming we are somewhere near Rhodes, and the storm is attempting to block our access to Egypt). And the best alternative route to Egypt.

Detect Magic: Is the storm infused with magic?
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+41)[44] If the storm is in fact infused with magic, or the product of elementals, does it seem plausible that Control Weather could punch a hole in it?

The Daughter of Wind fears no storm, but given that we are in Zeus and Poseidon's territory, might be wise to avoid, as I am sure there is something BESIDES raindrops in there.

As to altitude, We were attempting to masquerade as clouds, which would be around 6500ft at the lowest, but would make altitude sickness a thing. Perhaps 4000ft?

23. - Top - End - #113

Imp

Knowledge Arcana (1d20+20)[22] to recognize that the spell is Storm of Vengance without metagaming.

Note that I have constant Arcane Sight from my Soulsight Goggles.

...Damn. I actually failed. Guess that means no metagaming for me.

My Spellcraft is much higher at +40, but I'd probably have to deal with distance penalties, so... not very likely when this thing is probably 720 ft away.

Regardless, there's still one round before we can actually do anything, I think.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2024-03-03 at 06:59 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Imp

It seems as though people are taking more than just free actions while transforming out of Gaseous Form. Is that allowed? Or are people just jumping to the round where the transformation is already complete?
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2024-03-06 at 01:10 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It seems as though people are taking more than just free actions while transforming out of Gaseous Form. Is that allowed? Or are people just jumping to the round where the transformation is already complete?
    A good question. I'm also curious of the answer. I elected to hold off on any combat actions until it's made clear.

26. - Top - End - #116

Imp

For what it's worth, Wind Walk's Vaporous Form is treated as Gaseous Form.

While in Gaseous Form, you can't attack, can't cast any spells that have components, and you lose access to all supernatural abilities.

I suppose the question now is whether you are allowed to take more than just free actions during the 5 round transformation time of Wind Walk. Even if you are, though, you'd probably still be subject to the restrictions from Gaseous Form.

Funnily enough, if we are allowed to take actions while transforming, then theoretically, I could use Barroom Brawler, grab Dispel Mastery, and attempt to dispel the Storm of Vengeance. Using an Item Mastery is most similar to an SLA, and since those don't have components, they're actually perfectly legal to use under Gaseous Form.

That said, since we're explicitly subject to the effects of wind while in this form, presumably the Storm of Vengeance might just push us outside of it's radius once it starts. Though I guess the GM can decide where exactly the wind blows us.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

As people have now posted a variety of spells, supernatural things etc... that aren't possible in vapour form the easiest for me to do is to post the two rounds of actions that the behemoths will get as you complete your changes from gaseous clouds into corporeal shapes once more

Round -1
    Storm of vengance begins - acid rain

Henry: Round 4 of transformation; Free action shapechange to a (still cloudy black dragon)
    Nehemesk: Round 4 of transformation, Hide
    Nefer-Horsif: Round 4 of transformation - all others are supernatural or Spell like so cannot be done (reserved for Rond 1)
    Camilla: round 1 of 5 begins
    Runa: Spells not availble, cannot turn move into swift actions, has no "verbal" to initiate inspiring rage. As per Nefer Horsif - round 1
    Lanharanth: As for Runa/Nefer horsif, cannot wild shape or cast spells

Round 0:
    Storm of vengeance = Lightning! 2 bolts for everyone!
    --> Behemoth: Do something

Henry: End of the round = he's a black dragon
    Nehemesk = End of the round = no longer a cloud
    Camilalla = end of Round 2
    Runa = End of the rounds = no longer a cloud
    Lanharanth = End of the Round no longer cloud

Round 1:
    Storms of Vengeance = Hailstones all round
    --> Behemoth do something

Nehemesk: ??? choose an action
    Nefer-horsif: Now availble to do the font of animus, glyphs etc...
    Lanharanth: Wild shape and strong jaws
    Runa: Rage, Elemental Body
    Camilla = end of round 3

If anyone disagrees shout up. If not I'll post the Behemoths Round 0 and Round 1 actions tomorrow night

28. - Top - End - #118

MindFlayer

Works for me. Sorry about that, didn't read the restrictions on gaseous form.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It's unfortunate that Camilla's passive 35 perception didn't catch the threat, but she wouldn't start shifting until the danger was apparent to her, thus I'm fine with the scenario as described.

30. - Top - End - #120

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    It's unfortunate that Camilla's passive 35 perception didn't catch the threat, but she wouldn't start shifting until the danger was apparent to her, thus I'm fine with the scenario as described.
    Technically, we all saw the cloud prior to running into it. If anything, I think it ran into us, since we stopped to examine it.

Also, +35 is great and all, but distance penalties in Pathfinder are a bit... insane. It's a -1 for like, every 10 feet of distance away you are from the target. For a target 720 ft feet away, that's a -72 to the check. There are some items and abilities that let you alter the distance scaling, but they're pretty niche, since it's pretty difficult to fight at these kinds of ranges.

In other news, we should all be capable of swift actions on Round 0, if it matters. We won't have standard or move actions, but swift actions are effectively free actions that you can only take once per turn. If you can take a free action, then you can take a swift action.

There's no reason why you couldn't wait until the end of your turn, when you finish transforming, to use your swift action, I think.

If you have any free or swift actions you can take under Gaseous Form, feel free to do so.