New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default (closed) It Came From Beyond - Voting Thread (5e subclass contest)

Subclass Contest XL: It Came From Beyond!

Voting Thread!

Spoiler: Theme
    Show

Calling Card:

Remember, anybody can vote! You don't need to have participated in the contest to vote here.

Spoiler: Here are the rules!
    Show

• List your top three subclass entry votes. (#1 is worth 3 points. #2 is worth 2 points. #3 is worth 1 point.)
    • You may not vote for your own entry.
    • List your top three theme votes. (#1 is worth 3 points. #2 is worth 2 points. #3 is worth 1 point.)
    • The winner will be determined by most total points.
    • In the event of a tie, the winner will be decided by most #1 votes. If still tied and only one creator voted, that creator will be declared the winner. If both voted, the tie will stand.
    • Creators can't edit the entries during the voting phase.

Creator Entry 1st 2nd 3rd
    Just to Browse The Elder Constellation - Warlock 1 2 1
    Notafish Oath of the Truth-Seeker - Paladin 1 1
    BerzerkerUnit Warp Wave Warrior - Fighter 3
    sandmote Aberrant Infiltrator - Rogue 2 1
    Warrenthehero School of Extradimensionalism - Wizard 2 1 1
    playswithfire Ether Blade - Rogue 1 1

Themes for the next contest:
    Theme Description 1st 2nd 3rd
    Turn Up the Heat All about fire, and things that get hot. Smithing, dragons, firebenders are all up for grabs. 2 1 2
    Humanoid's Best Friend A subclass for pets, companions, or just plain being nice. 1 3
    Forests & Flowers For anything plant-related. Writing summaries is hard. 2 2
    Are You Scared of the Dark? A contest about the darkness, those who use it, and the creatures that hide within it. 1 2

Subclass Discussion Thread!

Deadline: 24 February will be the last day for the voting phase. This voting thread will close the following day and a new subclass contest will begin!

Good luck everyone! May the best entry win
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2024-02-26 at 10:09 AM.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: (open for voting!) It Came From Beyond - Voting Thread (5e subclass contest)

Entry choices!

1. Aberrant Infiltrator Rogue
    2. Extradimensionalism Wizard
    3. Elder Constellation Warlock

Theme choices!

1. Turn up the Heat
    2. Best Friends
    3. Forests and Flowers
    Last edited by Notafish; 2024-02-12 at 05:43 PM. Reason: formatting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (open for voting!) It Came From Beyond - Voting Thread (5e subclass contest)

Choosing between the entries was difficult; I don't think any of them would be bad to play. Ended up at:

1. The Elder Constellation
    2. Ether Blade
    3. Warp Wave Warrior

Contest theme:

1. Forests and Flowers
    2. Humanoid's Best Friend
    3. Turn up the Heat

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Also had a seriously tough time picking here.

Entries:
    1. Aberrant Infiltrator
    2. Oath of the Truth-Seeker
    3. Extradimensionalism

Themes:
    1. Are You Scared of the Dark?
    2. Humanoid's Best Friend
    3. Turn Up the Heat

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow it's been a while since I did one of these.
    Okay, here goes:
    Entries
    1.Extradimensional Wizard
    ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE THEME HERE, execution is pretty good too, you basically become the Prime Mover of your world and seeing how that progresses throughout the subclass is just *(gives chef's kiss)*
    2. Elder constellation warlock
    Absolutely beautiful usage of the "choose your own adventure" subclass. Love it.
    3. Warp Wave Warrior
    Is it practical? Yes. Is it fun and flavorful? Yes. Is that flavor absolutely disgusting (in a good way)? Yes. All in all, amazing subclass, just one critique: infinite range melee attacks are broken.
    Themes
    1.Turn up the heat
    Angel with flaming sword fighter anyone?
    2. Are you scared of the dark?
    Last edited by Psyche; 2024-02-22 at 11:29 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

These are great concepts, so after a bit of debate I came to these conclusions:

1. Extradimensional Wizard.
    Excellent execution, mighty but not too powerful, also quite creative. The idea of having your own world you can share with your friends is one I think we can all enjoy.

2. Abberant Infiltrator Rogue
    Well Balanced, a solid innovation on an already existing mechanic, and some excellent variety.

3. Warp Wave Fighter.
    It's a strong concept, and some interesting mechanics, I do think some of the later features get a bit too strong.

Themes
    Forests and Flowers: I want more Plant oriented monsters and stuff!

Humanoid's Best Friend: Friends! Love friends!

Turn up the heat: Fire good. More fire!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It's a difficult choice, especially when I can't choose my own lol

1) Rogue Ether Blade. I really like the 'doesn't materially belong here' kind of vibe.
    2) Warlock Elder Constellation. I like giving the most customizable class more customization.
    3) Paladin Oath of the Truth-Seeker. Honestly I just think the Pierce The Veil ability is just so cool.

Theme vote
    1) Humanoid's Best Friend. 5e has never done companions/summons right. Lets see if we can.
    2) Are you Scared of the Dark? Many good thematic options.
    3) Forests and Flowers. Plants as an archetype are an underutilized idea in 5e.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Voting is closed, and just 2 points separate the top 3!
    • In 3rd place with 7 points, we sandmote's roguish archetype, the Aberrant Infiltrator.
    • In 2nd place with 8 points, we have Just to Browse's warlock patron, the Elder Constellation
    • In 1st place with 9 points, we have Warrenthehero's wizard school, Extradimensionalism

Congratulations to Warrenthehero for their entry, and a big thanks to everyone who submitted & voted.

Our next contest's theme will be Turn Up the Heat. The submission thread will be going up shortly.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello, I am new here.