Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: [OOC] Rise of the Champions! [M&M 3.2 Playtest]

Posted IC sorry it took so long

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

@Benoojian, what actor/tress would play BioShock in "Rise of the Champions" the Movie? I'm trying to sort out a pic/token for my map. TIA.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by SwordCoastTaxi View Post
    @Benoojian, what actor/tress would play BioShock in "Rise of the Champions" the Movie? I'm trying to sort out a pic/token for my map. TIA.
    Can I use the picture from the Quickstart for now?
    Spoiler: Picture
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Benoojian View Post
    Can I use the picture from the Quickstart for now?
    Spoiler: Picture
    Show
    Sure that works. I need initiative and Perception rolls for RossN, Rook.Gamer, Benoojian and anyone else who hasn't made them.

Use the dice rolls link on the OP.
    Last edited by SwordCoastTaxi; 2024-03-01 at 11:44 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I was waiting for everyone to make the rolls and post IC. Bridge post today.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

So far it's looking like Cthul-Lad will be the first to act and the least perceptive of what's going on. I'm sure there's no way that'll go wrong.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Lol

Still working on the scene that will DEFINITELY be up today guys. There's a lot happening and I want it right for you.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

@JeminiZero, MGJ's "Soul-Fused" reads "... she will not be affected by powers which specifically target humans only." Of course, she won't be immune to all powers that target humans because she would be invincible. I'm guessing she can't be affected by attacks that might banish her from whatever dimension she's in? Also on her "Blindsight-Biological Radar" is that Darkvision? The sense wasn't included but I just wanted to know how that sense worked exactly?

IC bridge scene posted! Please read only what applies to your character and please don't ignore each other: teamwork makes the dream work Please use the dice roll thread linked above for all rolls please and thanks.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

As noted in my IC post, I'm away from books and a bit rusty on M&M combat so don't hesitate to point out anything I might've misremebered about how it works.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure if I missed it. But are we all on the same side of the bridge? Or is Cthul-Lad & Jenova on one side, and Quarry & BioShock on the other side?

Did Cthul-Lad & Jenova see Quarry and BioShock just run past?

@JeminiZero, MGJ's "Soul-Fused" reads "... she will not be affected by powers which specifically target humans only." Of course, she won't be immune to all powers that target humans because she would be invincible.
    A better way of thinking about it, is that she will only be targeted by powers which affect both Humans and Abominations. So a simple punch, or a blast will work, since these can affect both Humans and Abominations. But Dominate Person (limited to humans) will not.

I'm guessing she can't be affected by attacks that might banish her from whatever dimension she's in?
    To use banishment (sending back to home dimension) as an example, she cannot be banished, unless it affects both Humans and Abominations. So while on Earth she cannot be banished, since Humans are native to Earth.

Similarly, if she were in the Far Realms, she could not be banished, since Abominations are native to the Far Realms.

But if she were someplace else e.g. Asgard, banishment would work, since banishment on Asgard would work against both Humans and Abominations.

Also on her "Blindsight-Biological Radar" is that Darkvision? The sense wasn't included but I just wanted to know how that sense worked exactly?
    It is Radar, in the modern technological sense. This is because under Senses:

RADIO • 1 RANK
    You can “hear” radio frequencies including AM, FM, television, cellular, police bands, and so forth. This allows you to pick up on Radio Communication (see the Communication effect). This is the base sense of the radio sense type. It’s ranged, radius, and acute by default.
    So for Radio, you just need to add on Accurate, so it can be used to pinpoint targets. And it becomes Radar.

This power is actually applied by the Battlesuit archetype:

Sensors: Senses 12 (Accurate Radio Extended 3 [radar], Darkvision, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Infravision, Time Sense, Ultra-Hearing) [12 points]
    Although Jenova's version does not have Extended 3.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Let's say everyone is coming from the same side (left side of the map). Also you guys have a bonus d20 (Advantage) on your attacks for this first round.

Thanks JeminiZero.

Advantage/Bonus die = roll 1d20 twice and use the higher d20.
    Last edited by SwordCoastTaxi; 2024-03-06 at 09:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

@Batcathat: make a DC20 Toughness check (electrical damage).

@JeminiZero: the Mass Teleport is missing Improved Mass so it can affect more than 50 pounds. You need at least 9 ranks (of Improved Mass) to teleport a city bus filled with passengers.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

@Batcathat: make a DC20 Toughness check (electrical damage).
    Roll done. Not sure if I should post Cthul-Lad's reaction to it or wait for you to narrate exactly what happens?

Also, did the electricity stop the entire attack and/or were the other bad guys out of reach?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

@JeminiZero: the Mass Teleport is missing Improved Mass so it can affect more than 50 pounds. You need at least 9 ranks (of Improved Mass) to teleport a city bus filled with passengers.
    What if I just teleport the passengers only? That should be covered by Affect Others in a Selective Area, right?
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    What if I just teleport the passengers only? That should be covered by Affect Others in a Selective Area, right?
    The power as designed can't 'port more than 50 pounds. What if we redo the power?

Translocation: Teleport 8, 1 mile, attack, area-burst, selective, subtle, increased mass 10, distracting, unreliable (only 5 uses daily), tiring (-1 Movement until she can rest), Alternate effect

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Roll done. Not sure if I should post Cthul-Lad's reaction to it or wait for you to narrate exactly what happens?

Also, did the electricity stop the entire attack and/or were the other bad guys out of reach?
    Shapeable Area is such a small space compared to other options. It's less than 1 m. of volume but that's cool if you want an area-based attack vs. an invisible target for example. But it doesn't cover anywhere near the area of Burst Area. Do you want to change it?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Shapeable Area is such a small space compared to other options. It's less than 1 m. of volume but that's cool if you want an area-based attack vs. an invisible target for example. But it doesn't cover anywhere near the area of Burst Area. Do you want to change it?
    It does? It says I can shape 30 cubic feet of area however I want, which should go pretty far if it's stretched out. Or am I reading it wrong?

None of the other area variants really seems like what I'm looking for (which can be a little different depending on context, but in this case is basically a long, thick whip).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

It does? It says I can shape 30 cubic feet of area however I want, which should go pretty far if it's stretched out. Or am I reading it wrong?

None of the other area variants really seems like what I'm looking for (which can be a little different depending on context, but in this case is basically a long, thick whip).
    It takes some math and is a small area which is probably why I can't remember anyone using Shapeable Area before. How would you reshape 30 cubic feet to hit multiple foes scattered across a 3 meter area/radius?

The Combat: Cthul-Lad was only mildly-injured (-1 Toughness checks) by the shock because it's lethal Damage.
    Last edited by SwordCoastTaxi; 2024-03-08 at 05:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

It takes some math and is a small area which is probably why I can't remember anyone using Shapeable Area before. How would you reshape 30 cubic feet to hit multiple foes scattered across a 3 meter area/radius?

The Combat: Cthul-Lad was only mildly-injured (-1 Toughness checks) by the shock because it's lethal Damage.
    I think I must be misunderstanding how it works then, I just imagined it to be more or less like a 30 cubic feet "blob" that can be changed into any shape, including stretching it out.

Anyhow, it seems like it might be an unnecessarily complicated way of handling it, so maybe I'll just go with a cone-shaped area, that seems to be the closest to what I'm imagining Cthul-Lad's "whip" to be.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

My family got Covid so I've been away from my computer taking care of people, I'll try to respond soon

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I think I must be misunderstanding how it works then, I just imagined it to be more or less like a 30 cubic feet "blob" that can be changed into any shape, including stretching it out.

Anyhow, it seems like it might be an unnecessarily complicated way of handling it, so maybe I'll just go with a cone-shaped area, that seems to be the closest to what I'm imagining Cthul-Lad's "whip" to be.
    You're right it IS a 30 cubic-foot blob that can be reshaped. You just have to explain how it's being reshaped with each attack is all. Cone-area works but without 'Selective' it would strike everyone and everything within the area including friendlies.

Quote Originally Posted by Benoojian View Post
    My family got Covid so I've been away from my computer taking care of people, I'll try to respond soon
    Take care of yourself Benoojian. We'll be here when you recover.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

You're right it IS a 30 cubic-foot blob that can be reshaped. You just have to explain how it's being reshaped with each attack is all. Cone-area works but without 'Selective' it would strike everyone and everything within the area including friendlies.
    Alright, that's good. So how would you prefer the explanation, just words or like a drawing or something else? Good point about the cone-area, I'll probably have to add something like that if I do use it.

Also, as a general heads up, I'm out of town and pretty busy until next weekend. I'll be able to post, but might a bit slower to reply than normal.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Alright, that's good. So how would you prefer the explanation, just words or like a drawing or something else? Good point about the cone-area, I'll probably have to add something like that if I do use it.

Also, as a general heads up, I'm out of town and pretty busy until next weekend. I'll be able to post, but might a bit slower to reply than normal.
    I'll make Toughness checks for Skullface and Cowboyhat since they're in range.

@Rook.Gamer you can make a DC12 check using the higher of Persuasion or Intimidation to Overwhelm the villains.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Finally back! So sorry but after a super busy couple of weeks I think I have a more reasonable section going forward.

GM besides the bus are there any endangered civilian types around? That police cruiser is empty right?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Finally back! So sorry but after a super busy couple of weeks I think I have a more reasonable section going forward.

GM besides the bus are there any endangered civilian types around? That police cruiser is empty right?
    WB RossN. Tried to update the IC thread but the site's gotten choppy again. The cruiser is on fire and there is a driver inside who seems injured.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Updating IC today!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Posted IC: @JeminiZero I just went with Jenova using a Power-Stunt to 'port the bus to safety. You can post where they ends up (and how the passengers and bystanders react if you like). Due to the Stunt Jenova is Fatigued (-1 Movement) until she can rest. She can burn her Hero point to eliminate the Fatigue or not. That work? The superheroes can take their actions now.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

The power as designed can't 'port more than 50 pounds. What if we redo the power?

Translocation: Teleport 8, 1 mile, attack, area-burst, selective, subtle, increased mass 10, distracting, unreliable (only 5 uses daily), tiring (-1 Movement until she can rest), Alternate effect

Thoughts?
    I had always thought that to bring along other people, you need Affects Others for Teleport. And that 50lb limit is only for unattended objects. So if you did have Affects Others, the other people and their equipment (if any) did not count against your mass.

Apparently, I was confusing the M&M3e and the D&D3.5 versions of Teleport.

Re-reading the Teleport power:

You can teleport yourself and up to 50 lbs. (mass rank 0) of additional mass a distance rank equal to your effect rank as a move action. Unwilling passengers get a Dodge resistance check to avoid being taken along.
    So my formulation of Mass Teleport is completely wrong. If it is alright, I'd like to completely rework Mass Teleport as follows:

Mass Teleport (19 PP)
    *Teleport: 1 ranks @ 7 PP per rank (60 ft/move, Extended Distance Rank 9 - 2 miles)
    *Extras: Accurate, Extended, Easy, 30 ft Burst Area, Selective
    *Flat Extras: Change Velocity, Increased Mass (x10, 25 tons)

Jenova will then spend a full round action to teleport the people to safety, without needing to power stunt. She will probably wind up at a clearing somewhere behind the police blockade.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2024-03-13 at 08:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    I had always thought that to bring along other people, you need Affects Others for Teleport. And that 50lb limit is only for unattended objects. So if you did have Affects Others, the other people and their equipment (if any) did not count against your mass.

Apparently, I was confusing the M&M3e and the D&D3.5 versions of Teleport.

Re-reading the Teleport power:

So my formulation of Mass Teleport is completely wrong. If it is alright, I'd like to completely rework Mass Teleport as follows:

Mass Teleport (19 PP)
    *Teleport: 1 ranks @ 7 PP per rank (60 ft/move, Extended Distance Rank 9 - 2 miles)
    *Extras: Accurate, Extended, Easy, 30 ft Burst Area, Selective
    *Flat Extras: Change Velocity, Increased Mass (x10, 25 tons)

Jenova will then spend a full round action to teleport the people to safety, without needing to power stunt. She will probably wind up at a clearing somewhere behind the police blockade.
    That all looks fine. I'll remove the Hindered condition.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

A trio of pretty dismal rolls to start things off with.

Mistral is in close combat with Cowboy Hat.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    A trio of pretty dismal rolls to start things off with.

Mistral is in close combat with Cowboy Hat.
    Get the bad rolls out the way 🙂 I'll update the IC tonight.